-Frost-Fire-

ANSWERED:Make April Fool's Mints display upside down on all pages

I figured because they're special dragons, but right now they don't show up upside down on scrolls or lineages, whereas other special dragons (spriter's alts, Missingno) show up with their custom sprite on all pages. Some people are doing April Fool's Mint lineages, it'd be nice for those if the sprites showed up upside down on lineage pages. I don't see the harm in implementing this ^.^

Full support from me. I was planning on starting a purebred upside down mint line if I managed to get a second one this year, and being able to see them on the lineage would be awesome. It would also make the upside down mints and, more importantly, their babies more desirable.

Since the sprite already exists I don't see why it can't be changed on all pages.

I'm not so sure if this was actually a good idea, I remember the storm of drama we got when upside-down mints were first released and I don't want to see it happen again. I think people were trading CBs and asking for stuff like CB metals and Neglecteds and whatnot. Or maybe it's just me still being bitter about the Prize drama a few years back, when those dang things ruled the trade market and I don't want it to happen ever again. That's why I'm a little hesitant to throw in my support, I don't really care about upside down-Mints at all since they literally are just regular Mints but flipped.

I'm not totally against this suggestion, though. I could be fine with it, I'm just worried about the potential drama it might stir up.

I'm sort of against this, as right now upside down mints have no real gameplay advantage, only a nice little surprise when you click on them.

If they were change them to be upside down on all pages, people without upside down mints would feel left out and there would be lots of justifiable ire amongst the community as getting upside down mints is moreover luck based than anything.

if everyone got an upside down mint one year, though, then this would have my full support

I like the idea, but I kind of also like that the main indication that it's a flip is the cool name the owner chose!  So I'm good either way.

I'm in support of this idea, b/c I don't see why gameplay has to make it so that everybody has everything. Frills came back, CB holidays came back...etc., etc. Right now, CB prizes are still one of the hardest and more rare things to get, but now, more of those continue to be given out every month.

Sometimes, it's okay for a website to have exclusive or limited dragons, as it were, that not everybody can get again. This is the only game I have seen that has gone to such lengths to bring back pretty much everything it has tried to retire so people don't feel left out.

1 hour ago, Sazandora said:

I think people were trading CBs and asking for stuff like CB metals and Neglecteds and whatnot.

But they're untradable now, and I don't think their offspring is worth that much at all.

Im personally leaning towards it, it may cause some drama, but I think pretty much anything does. It would be nice though, your egg above may look quite amusing with both sprites upside down XD 

We'll get this suggestion every year now, won't we?  :P

I'd prefer if they didn't show up in lineage view, but I don't usually make lineages with Mints anyway, so, ... 🤷‍♀️  <-- shrug emoji

2 hours ago, Sazandora said:

I'm not so sure if this was actually a good idea, I remember the storm of drama we got when upside-down mints were first released and I don't want to see it happen again. I think people were trading CBs and asking for stuff like CB metals and Neglecteds and whatnot. Or maybe it's just me still being bitter about the Prize drama a few years back, when those dang things ruled the trade market and I don't want it to happen ever again. That's why I'm a little hesitant to throw in my support, I don't really care about upside down-Mints at all since they literally are just regular Mints but flipped.

I'm not totally against this suggestion, though. I could be fine with it, I'm just worried about the potential drama it might stir up.

This. I'm not against the idea in a vacuum and it would be really really cool to have but i'd like for the mints to be more available then just some luck based dilemma. it would give exclusive resources to an entire group of players which is never good for the have-nots.

Edited by blockEdragon

Given that only a small percentage of people can get them and they're only available once a year, I'm opposed to this. Having the sprite flipped only on one page is enough, imo.

3 hours ago, Pryanka said:

I'm in support of this idea, b/c I don't see why gameplay has to make it so that everybody has everything. Frills came back, CB holidays came back...etc., etc. Right now, CB prizes are still one of the hardest and more rare things to get, but now, more of those continue to be given out every month.

Sometimes, it's okay for a website to have exclusive or limited dragons, as it were, that not everybody can get again. This is the only game I have seen that has gone to such lengths to bring back pretty much everything it has tried to retire so people don't feel left out.

I really agree with this.

Like, if these dragons come back every year, there's the potential that we could all get one. There's the potential for everyone to have CB Golds, but not everybody does yet, but that doesn't mean everybody starts uproars because they don't have one yet.

I think since the UD Mints exist in the first place they should show upside-down everywhere. Since they already exist, why should more drama be caused just because their lineage views are altered?

3 hours ago, Pryanka said:

I couldn't agree more. Sadly, the slightest hint of challenge or exclusivity causes this forum to erupt into chaos.

59 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Given that only a small percentage of people can get them

Like, roughly a quarter of all players going to the cave today? Compare to Prizes ...

1 hour ago, Guillotine said:

Given that only a small percentage of people can get them and they're only available once a year, I'm opposed to this. Having the sprite flipped only on one page is enough, imo.

22 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Like, roughly a quarter of all players going to the cave today? Compare to Prizes ...

Exactly. Of the three years (?) I've got  myself two with no trouble at all.

Tbh I don't think the Mints are comparable to Prizes because Prizes produce eggs of their own kind. The number of users who have a CB Prize is very small, sure, but at this point everyone and their brother has lineaged Prizes and they are fairly easy to collect sprite-wise. 

If April Fool's Mints can be made to produce upside-down eggs in addition to having their special image show everywhere, I guess that'd be acceptable, yeah. Otherwise, I think view pages are enough for a limited "prank" sprite obtained by sheer luck :unsure:

Edited by Tears in Rain

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Actually, more like half - if they're clever enough to tattle. If you don't, you don't get an upside-down egg, do you?

Support. The amount of "drama" this simple change would cause is minimal, and frankly... I agree with the sentiment that not everyone has to have everything. Next thing you know there'll be complaining about the XD and ❤️ eggs, the Spriter Alts, and that random stack of pancakes being exclusive. This ain't Pokemon.

I was super disappointed to get one last year breed her and then realize it didn't show in the lineage view.  To repeat what I said then, some people do try to make lineages with them and being able to see it would be nice.

And for everyone else: it's a mint.right side up or upside down makes little difference to it's desire-abilty so why shouldn't it show on all pages?

@Pryanka @Camilo543HF myself (and others) have favored DC over other games, often ones with some very nice perks compared to DC, in no small part because they DON’T offer exclusives. I’m sick of the constant barrage of games offering *EXCLUSIVE* ~preorder!~ “BE HERE NOW OR MISS IT FOREVER” content. While I have more reason to hate such things than most (I have OCD, and try to avoid games like that because it causes me undue mental strain), I think the general logic—not wanting to feel like you can only get a half-baked version of something—applies to many others. I mean, it’s a collecting game. Why want less collecting options instead of more? You can make things hard to get and valuable without making them one-of-a-kind novelties. There’s more than enough exclusivity in the real world, I don’t want it in my games too.

... AHEM, sorry, it’s a bit of a talking point for me. For the topic itself I’m leaning slightly against. It’s not the end of the world, and I know people do have a good shot at getting one each year, but since it does boil down to luck based exclusivity (even if just silly flipped mint level exclusivity), it’s probably something I’d be happier without. Saying this as an owner of two flips.

I honestly don't really think this is something that's needed or would be beneficial to the game? I mean, people already trade fairly well for upside-down mint offspring even though they *don't* show upside-down in lineages, so it's not like that's a huge selling point... It's a one-day, one-chance thing that otherwise has no bearing on the game in any way. You can't breed more upside-downs (and apparently this year they were untradable?). It's a small simplistic April Fool's joke, it's not *meant* to be a big deal with lineages and exclusivity and perks and etc etc. I really think it should just stay a simple joke thing, in which case there is really no *need* for it to be shown as upside-down in every single place. 

(I also very much agree with @angelicdragonpuppy that we *really* don't need anymore exclusive, have-and-have-not division in this game, and people have *already* gotten genuinely upset at only having one single random chance a year to get these upside-down mints, let's not cause more of that.)

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

It's a small simplistic April Fool's joke, it's not *meant* to be a big deal with lineages and exclusivity and perks and etc etc. I really think it should just stay a simple joke thing, in which case there is really no *need* for it to be shown as upside-down in every single place. 

It's kind of fun having it mostly show up in lineages as funny names at the base and nothing more.

I agree with the others who are saying that it's probably better not to make this change as it'd likely result in drama. While I would love to see the upside down Mint I got this year in lineages, I'm already happy to own one even without the change. As such, I feel like the people who would be impacted by this change the most would be those who haven't gotten their Mint yet, and the effect would essentially be slapping them across the face just because RNG hasn't been favorable to them. For what little fun this suggestion offers to owners of these Mints it's simply not worth it to rub salt in the other players' wounds. I definitely agree with @angelicdragonpuppy about exclusives in general too.

I could see this as interesting, though I can also see the drama in it. It could go either way, you never know. Though the offspring of upside-downs might not be vey valuable, I know a few who missed out on the upside-downs who settle for trying to get offspring because it's the closest they can get to those dergs until the next April Fools event. *I totally wasn't one of those for the last two years, innocent whistling*

Also agreeing with @angelicdragonpuppy on the exclusivity thing. I joined when the holiday biome first became a thing and I had no idea CB holidays were exclusives until the following year. That would've been pretty upsetting to see all those gorg dragons...that I can do nothing with because I'm 100% reliant on somebody maybe, maybe breeding what I want and me somehow being fast enough to catch that exact egg in the AP exactly when it drops before all the other infinitely faster guys do. I really love DC because it's steadily removing the exclusive things that annoying me in most other games. The number of times I can count where I've been wrecked/harassed/laughed at for not having this OG-exclusive-from-20-insert-date-here when I asked about it, I'd need several hands. The number of times I've crossed something like DC--one finger. I'm glad to see the exclusivity thing slowly being peeled away. It's nice to see a game actually trying to equalize OG players with noobs...because most games don't give a hoot to.