Nokturna

ANSWERED:My name was taken by someone else- what do?

Hey, since a few months I wanted to name one of my dragons my username (which I've had on various sites for a long time and love a lot) but had always waited for that "one special dragon" to give that name to. And today I finally had the opportunity.

But- the name has gotten into useage by someone else recently, and the owner doesn't seem to have a Forum account. It's not a huuuge issue but it does bug me.

If anyone could tell me what I can do about this, I'd be very thankful.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about it. If you want to use your username, I would recommend using it as part of a larger name. eg. "The Nordana" for example. Or putting spaces between the letters. That way, you still get to use your username as part of the dragon's name. 

In future, if there is a name you know you'll want in the future, I would recommend saving it by giving it to a different dragon in the meantime. That way, when you find the dragon you permanently want to use the name for, you can rename the other one and free up the name you've been saving for that special dragon. This is what a lot of people do. 

Hmm, yeah. I considered doing that but never managed to. And yes those options are available but it's just not quite the same thing :D 😕

I just didn't think anyone would use my username and I can't imagine why they did it...

26 minutes ago, nordana said:

I just didn't think anyone would use my username and I can't imagine why they did it...

That is most likely not because it is your username but simply because they wanted to give a dragon a name and just used a word they know (e. g. "Nord" which means north in many languages) and added a few letters to make it sound nicer.

(It's a female Frostbite in your case so that's really not that far of a reach for a name)

And even if it wasn't because it was based on a word in a language the user speaks, it's an easy name to come up with if you're smashing sounds together.

47 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

And even if it wasn't because it was based on a word in a language the user speaks, it's an easy name to come up with if you're smashing sounds together.

Yes indeed. I am sorry you didn't get it in time - but it happens SO often, You wouldn't think anyone else (in their right mind anyway XD ) would have come up with flurp - but they did :lol: 

https://dragcave.net/view/n/flurp

No-one will have looked at your name and decided to use it. It's chance. It's life. As Stormwizard said - if you have a name you specially want - save it on a random dragon till you are ready to use it.

I got the username based off of something in old high german :D I do doubt a little bit that the user did the same thing, and it could still be random- although I suspect that it's not- because the user has offered on my trades a lot of times. Chances are high that they do know about me.

--

Well, I don't want to make too big of a deal out of this though. It just bugs me a little bit.

Maybe they just thought it would be a pretty name. In any event - there's not a lot you can do except chill and maybe follow random_dragon_collector's suggestion.

I wish flurp had been a chicken... :lol: At least fuzzbucket is a pillow.

They may very well have seen your user name, thought it was pretty, and just used it without thinking that you may have wanted to use it yourself. It is really sort of a compliment in that case.

2 hours ago, nordana said:

I got the username based off of something in old high german :D I do doubt a little bit that the user did the same thing, and it could still be random- although I suspect that it's not- because the user has offered on my trades a lot of times. Chances are high that they do know about me.

As someone who speaks a language in which "Nord" means "north", I find it very straightforward to name a Frostbite "Nordana". Without having to look into an Old High German dictionary or knowing you, I could easily come up with dragon names like this. It doesn't need to be intentional.

But if you have often met via trades, you could try and set up public trades with a want like "the dragon name Nordana". Chances are they see it and free up the name for you. (Or would such a want be forbidden? Alternatively, I'd set up trades with eggs from dragons named something like "I'm looking for the dragon name Nordana, please message me".)

I once considered naming some dragons after people I see around the forums before realizing that might be considered a little weird. :P 

I looked up the dragon with my name. Dang, my username was taken as a name before I even joined the site. :lol:

Haha, I love all these messages here :D wouldn't have thought so many people's names were taken! Then I'll just forget about it. Or maybe, before that, I'll try what @Imago suggested. Thanks for the answers!

Lol, I grabbed my name years ago. I was always afraid someone would beat me to it, and I am saving it in case I ever get a male CB prize dragon.  https://dragcave.net/view/n/princesslucy

I have a "someone grabbed my name" story, though.

I am doing Waterhorses for the Holly contest.

Most are named Water Polo Pony and then a number starting with a zero. 

https://dragcave.net/group/81808

I got the first 16, and then someone took number 17, for a Boreal, so I had to change it a bit.

Water Polo Pony 0017

5 hours ago, nordana said:

Haha, I love all these messages here :D wouldn't have thought so many people's names were taken! Then I'll just forget about it. Or maybe, before that, I'll try what @Imago suggested. Thanks for the answers!

Yup. Special when you name yourself after a seemingly common german royal/power related title, I never had the chance to name any of my dragons just Kaiser....

https://dragcave.net/view/n/kaiser

I did learn how to search dragons by name by reading through this thread tho, so, not all are bad news 🤣