Pilauli

Warn if your trade offer can't be accepted

Some people (including me, and someone who recently offered on a trade of mine) forget to check if they're egglocked (or have too many CB holidays) before offering on trades.  I'd like to see warnings on the "offer on a trade" page.  Something like these:

-"The initiator of this trade will not be able to accept your offer.  You have too many growing dragons/too many eggs."

-"The initiator of this trade will not be able to accept your offer.  They have too many..."

-"The initiator of this trade will not be able to accept your offer.  This trade would violate breed limits."

The warning message should be easily visible when you go to make the offer, perhaps in bold above the "submit offer" button.  I'd like a confirmation dialogue (like the "are you sure you want to abandon" one) along the lines of "The initiator of this trade will not be able to accept your offer.  Are you sure you want to make it?"

The "submit offer" button could be grayed-out, but I'd prefer not, because maybe the initiator is perfectly willing to abandon an egg to make room for a better offer.  I'm sure there are more examples, but that's the most obvious I can think of.

While that sure would help, I'd prefer the option to only accept part of a trade, as that would cover a lot more bases. However, if it's a choice between a warning for impossible trades and keeping things as they are, I'd sure prefer the warning.

I agree with olympe. What we need is to be able to accept only part of a trade. This can also be needed when someone offers us more than we want in the hope of securing a trade - if I want to accept only the silver hatchie  I asked for, say, and NOT that extra gold checker or whatever, I want to be able to take JUST the silver. I don't want the hassle of having to get rid of a nice egg I didn't want in the first place.

But if they're only offering cb holidays and you are already at limits, ability to accept a partial trade won't help. I've seen the help Q's where ppl didn't understand why they/the tradee couldn't accept a trade, and after investigation, they/tradee had too many eggs/hatchies-The warnings would solve that confusion for both sides.

I believe we need both options, really, to make trading smoother.

I wouldn't mind a warning when you go to offer on a trade, it definitely seems like a lot of people simply don't realize the offer wouldn't be able to be accepted. I definitely don't want anything *blocking* an offer just because of that, there are plenty of situations where an offer that can't be accepted right away is still wanted, but a warning just to let people know would be nice.

Situations like this are frustrating during the holidays. I have CBs of all the holiday dragons so far, and I'm capped. People STILL offered CB holidays on some of my trades. I don't like having to waste valuable "Want" space to say "Can't take CB holidays" or "No CB holidays", especially if I'm okay accepting non-CB holidays since I couldn't put just "no holidays" if I wanted, say, a 2G Rosebud or something. 

The thing is, the state of the world when you submit your offer is maybe not the state when the person on the other end of the trade goes to accept an offer.

For example, you offer four eggs when someone is already locked. But then those eggs hatch, and the person accepts your four eggs. If you saw a warning that they have too many eggs to accept your offer, how many people wouldn't bother offering, thinking they had no chance? Even with CB event dragon limits, you could offer something compelling enough that the trade owner will abandon or release an existing CB in order to accept your offer.

I agree with the above that this is the same problem that the suggestions to give trade owners more flexibility aim to solve, and solving it from the trade owner's side can avoid some of these pitfalls I think this suggestion would lead to.

I absolutely agree with that, actually. I have on occasion messaged someone I was offering on to say that - say - I am locked for 2 hours and can't take all those eggs, but I DO want to accept...

Could we not have the ability to accept only part of a trade, though ? That would help more than anything - especially with the holiday CB limit thing.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

And, while we're at it - could we make it so that someone offering on a trade of multiple items only offers on part of them? For example, player 1 puts up a CB yule and a 2nd gen yule Thuwed - you desperately want the Thuwed, but not the CB (limits and all)...

Isn't that the same as only offer on part of a - no, I guess not. Yes please, TJ :)