HeatherMarie

Change AP 'egg not available' text when you've just abandoned the egg

I couldn't figure out a concise title that actually made sense, sorry. When you abandon an egg to the AP, you cannot immediately pick it back up from the AP, you can only pick it up if someone else first grabs it and then abandons it (at least that's how it used to work). But when you try to pick up the egg that you just abandoned it gives you the standard message:

Try as you might, you cannot seem to find the egg you are looking for in the abandoned area.

The egg you are looking for is no longer available. Another person may have grabbed it already.

That doesn't really make sense when the egg is actually still sitting in the AP. It's not just misleading, it's downright false, since I can see through multiple refreshes that the egg is actually still there, yet the message is saying it's not. If you aren't able to pick up the egg because of the whole 'you just abandoned it' thing, the text should reflect that somehow.... I don't really know what it should say, maybe 'you've seen this egg before, and aren't sure you really want it' or whatever, but it should *not* be the standard message above because the standard message simply isn't true.

Why not tell us we can’t grab the egg we just abandoned, haha. But no, I agree. It can be confusing...

I think it's probably especially confusing for new players who don't know that you can''t pick up eggs you've just abandoned in the AP. I've definitely seen help threads before where new members have reported changing their mind about an egg they threw back into the AP but then not being able to pick it up again. Changing the message to something that specifically states why it can't be picked up would be useful, I think. ^_^

5 hours ago, StormWizard212 said:

I think it's probably especially confusing for new players who don't know that you can''t pick up eggs you've just abandoned in the AP. I've definitely seen help threads before where new members have reported changing their mind about an egg they threw back into the AP but then not being able to pick it up again. Changing the message to something that specifically states why it can't be picked up would be useful, I think. ^_^

Not just new players, the reason I thought to suggest this is because I couldn't figure out why I couldn't pick up an egg when it was clearly still there, took me a good 10 minutes to remember the whole 'can't pick it up if you just abandoned it' thing. :rolleyes:  It's not intuitive, to my knowledge there is absolutely nowhere on the site where it actually says that you can't pick up an egg you just abandoned, and even those of us who know it sometimes get confused by it.

Wait, what? I've been here since 2013 and I didn't know that you can't pick up an egg after you abandon it XD 

Maybe that should be stated on the Abandon action somewhere...

I think this is one of those things where I've gotten so used to it I don't see how it could be improved because "that's how it's always been." I'll throw my support in for this, including updating the Abandon section of the in-cave Help section to show it. Even text like "You cannot pick this back up because you were the last person to abandon it." would help. I rarely keep track of codes when catching/releasing.

Hm, alternatively, would there be anything wrong with removing that rule entirely? Finding a specific egg in the AP is already incredibly difficult, so I don't know if the rule changes much, though I could be wrong.

Or "You've recently abandoned this egg and cannot pick it up." Something close to that would be helpful to people, I'm sure.

15 minutes ago, lolahighwind said:

Hm, alternatively, would there be anything wrong with removing that rule entirely? Finding a specific egg in the AP is already incredibly difficult, so I don't know if the rule changes much, though I could be wrong.

I may be completely off here, but I *think* it's a by-product of a rule for auto-abandoned eggs, and for that it makes sense... Like, an egg gets auto-abandoned after you breed, whether because you are locked or because it's a multi-clutch or whatever, and you shouldn't be able to immediately go grab those. That sort of makes sense, imo. But I don't really know that that reason should apply to eggs you *picked up* from the AP and then re-abandoned, especially if the egg is just sitting in the AP with no one wanting it. I'm not sure if it could be tweaked to not apply to eggs that you didn't auto-abandon?

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I may be completely off here, but I *think* it's a by-product of a rule for auto-abandoned eggs, and for that it makes sense... Like, an egg gets auto-abandoned after you breed, whether because you are locked or because it's a multi-clutch or whatever, and you shouldn't be able to immediately go grab those. That sort of makes sense, imo. But I don't really know that that reason should apply to eggs you *picked up* from the AP and then re-abandoned, especially if the egg is just sitting in the AP with no one wanting it. I'm not sure if it could be tweaked to not apply to eggs that you didn't auto-abandon?

Yes, though usually you wouldn't be able to immediately grab Auto-AP'd eggs anyway, since the AP doesn't typically show 7d eggs except at the start of holiday breeding, and then you have to figure out the specific time your egg would be in the AP, watch for it for an hour, and hope you both see it and catch it.

So grabbing your auto'd eggs would be super difficult anyway, though perhaps that rule exists simply to keep people from spending their time on a goose chase like that XD 

47 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

That makes the most sense. Back when we could grab any egg off the AP with the get/code method (whether it was visible or not), this rule totally made sense. Now, not so much.

How about a slightly different message: "You abandoned this egg recently. Do you still wish to pick it up? [insert link here]"

It would be nice to see the message changed, yeah - but I'd also be in favor of removing this completely. Why can't we re-pick up eggs we've abandoned earlier?

I'd personally prefer not to remove it altogether, since I think it can come in handy when you're searching for certain breeds in the AP. It would be a bit frustrating to keep accidentally picking up the same one. I've found that it's often a useful feature when hunting in the AP. :) But maybe that's just me! As long as the rule is clarified with a different message, I don't mind the rule actually being in place. 

18 minutes ago, StormWizard212 said:

I'd personally prefer not to remove it altogether, since I think it can come in handy when you're searching for certain breeds in the AP. It would be a bit frustrating to keep accidentally picking up the same one. I've found that it's often a useful feature when hunting in the AP. :) But maybe that's just me! As long as the rule is clarified with a different message, I don't mind the rule actually being in place. 

To me it's still frustrating to get that page, so I always remember/write down the codes for those scenarios. But I see your point.

6 hours ago, Cinspawn said:

It would be nice to see the message changed, yeah - but I'd also be in favor of removing this completely. Why can't we re-pick up eggs we've abandoned earlier?

One reason would be that we shouldn't be able to go and collect all our multi-clutch eggs as some would like to, especially over holidays.

This suggestion has got my support! I often get confused when I try and pick up eggs in the AP, get this message, and return to see that they’re still there! 

+1 from me, also some sample text:

“You recognize this egg as one that you abandoned recently, and decide not to pick it up again.”

Edited by Darkstorm34

On 4/28/2018 at 7:39 AM, StormWizard212 said:

most times I hunting for a certain breed, I manage to pick the same one up several times anyway because other people are also picking it up and throwing back, so it really doesn't do much for this.  

This makes a lot of sense, I fully support this :lol: 

I also really like olympe's idea, it combines the correct info on why you didn't pick the egg up and provides an option of actually catching it, which is cool:

On 27/04/2018 at 11:56 PM, olympe said:

How about a slightly different message: "You abandoned this egg recently. Do you still wish to pick it up? [insert link here]"

Edited by Tears in Rain