SirAwes0me

Idea to pick up Eggs you abandoned/ Warning when bred egg will be lost to the AP

Im sure everyone has experienced this breeding an egg, only for it to enter the AP immediately.

I suggest a system that either allows you to pick up an egg from the AP if you know the code or if you click on the breed action from the action log.

Another idea would for there to the Egg limit chart on the breeding page so we can check/see before the we hit the breed button.

Picking up an egg from the AP was made impossible on purpose, to avoid egg-sniping.

You can already check your limit before breeding by clicking the "Growing Dragons" link at the top of your /dragons/ page.

Having some sort of warning before breeding if you are egg-locked has been suggested before. Honestly, I'm not a fan. To me it feels like hand-holding. It's really very very simple and takes practically no time at all to click your trophy before starting to breed, to check if you are locked. Personally I always keep the egg limits page open when I breed, and refresh it constantly just to make sure I'm keeping proper count. Now, if we didn't have a really easy and obvious way to quickly check if we are locked, then I'd support some sort of warning, but we do. So yeah, I really just don't think it's necessary.

I understand its like a part of the site and almost like a rite of passage but I think it would be easier for those who just joined. 

It doesn't have to be intrusive, just the table below the Password enter space with the warning that if you go above the limit the egg will be abandoned.

Those who just joined will learn from the best teacher there is: Experience.

Not a fan of this, sorry.

Regarding being able to grab eggs out of the AP when you know the code: This method - also known as get/code - used to be the only way to trade, and left a loophole open so people could not only keep or trade one egg from a multi-clutch, but keep one and trade up to three more. The steps were very simple, too: Breed, get four eggs. Send three friends three different egg codes, fill up the AP with random stuff (back when holiday eggs weren't displayed before non-holiday eggs). Now, choose to keep the egg and tell your friends to spam-refresh the get/code link to the egg that's supposed to go to them (dragcave.net/get/code1, dragcave.net/get/code2...)

Personally, I think it's a rather good thing that got disabled in favor of the teleport BSA.

I have it set so I type my password when I use a BSA/ breed. I think those with that option disabled just type Breed.

25 minutes ago, SirAwes0me said:

I have it set so I type my password when I use a BSA/ breed. I think those with that option disabled just type Breed.

Actually no, you don't. I just checked, there is no option in the account settings to require a password or *any* typed verification before breeding. I changed my account settings to require a password for actions, then attempted to breed, and did it with no verification needed.

I don't have to do anything to breed my dragons. Just pick a mate and go.

Anyway, no support. We already have the clickable trophies that indicate whether or not we are at scroll limits. As users have said, experience is the best teacher. I have had eggs that I really wanted go to the AP. But once eggs leave your scroll, they're no longer yours. We can't demand eggs back. Why should we be able to miraculously grab them via code? You were not here back when we could do that sort of thing. TJ changed it so that it's no longer possible.

If you really want your egg back, you can rename the parent dragons to something like "Autoabandoned" and "Please PM SirAwes0me on forum" or stick a link to the lineage in your signature. 

This often comes up as a suggestion and it does not do to modify how the game is played to suit your advantage. 

Edited by Jazeki

Speaking as one of those people who, even with a platinum trophy and quite some experience, still abandons things, that really is just the risk you take when you don't check before you breed. It sucks. Several times I've bred stubborn lines for IOUs and lost eggs to the AP. But, hey, someone was probably pretty happy when they found those eggs. I know I would be. I know you have good intentions with this idea, but it's just not super necessary. 

Being ablr to pick eggs up from the AP if you know the code...absolute no. Several CB Prize owners, CB Holly owners, and spriters send 2Gs to the AP to allow people a fair chance at getting them. Anyone could stalk progeny pages and easily grab codes instead of waiting for eggs to show up in the AP. That's kind of like stealing in my opinion. Again, I can see why this would be helpful if you wanted to get your own egg back, but you can always just breed your dragons next week. If it's a trade or gift, most people here would be nice enough to get you a sibling free of charge. Sorry, no support.

It's always nice to see people suggesting new ways to improve the site anyway. I really love that about DC :)

Accidentally abandoning is part of the game. I think we've all done it, its annoying as heck. I miss the get/code way of catching. I got some very awesome things that way. However the teleport BSA was setup to protect people from sniping (more or less).

The best way to get it back, has been suggested already with the change the parents name/sig.

I'm also not for a way to pick up eggs by code from the AP. Too many ways to abuse.

I don't see harm in a method to warn if you're about to auto-abandon eggs, provided it was something relatively unobtrusive (no window alerts) and possibly an opt-in warning that you could shut off on account settings. But something like this wouldn't bother me:

59d5346338935_ScreenShot2017-10-04at2_17_43PM.thumb.png.c4b13e48c4f2af2067a603efe16fce31.png

Edited by Stromboli

Not everyone knows the trophies can be clickable as NOTHING indicates so until you hover over the badge for some reason. A warning line wouldn't hurt to add, you wouldn't even need to go through additional pop-ups or anything, it's basically a simple "if -> condition -> then -> reaction". :/

Or just a more obvious way to check your limits...?

19 minutes ago, Orchi'dea said:

Or just a more obvious way to check your limits...?

Like clicking the "Growing Dragons" link at the top of your scroll?

Exactly. So easy. It even has WORDS !

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Like clicking the "Growing Dragons" link at the top of your scroll?

Guess what, even after so much time after implementing the stats, I wasn't paying enough attention to notice that, like... ""oh ok I have this many things, cool" *moves on*" :'D All the links should be screaming at me in all caps, send help.