kreepers_killer

Give badge for ad removal subscription

So I know, on the page, it's written that there would be no exclusive egg or benefit

This is the only benefit to a subscription; you will not receive any exclusive eggs or any other benefits aside from an ad-free browsing experience.
But I believe a badge would be nice to have, since it doesn't give you any advantages.

I've seen a lot of people using adblock on DC, including me, but I never saw anyone using the ad removal thing, since adblock is free. I believe true DC fan would like to have an unique badge, and in the same time help the website survive.

Don't support. A badge just doesn't make sense.

The benefit is that you get to feel good about not seeing ads because you're not bombarded by them and DC still gets the revenue that viewing ads would give it, which adblock doesn't achieve.

I use the ad-remove service because my ad-blocker stopped blocking the ads properly and I was getting that stupid, LOUD banner (I didn't mind the kitty one). I consider it worth it to not have to deal with that banner.

I also suspect that despite what TJ said, the ad-removal subscription is faster than either ads or an ad-blocker. That's how it seems on 3g, at least. Could be psychosomatic, though.

As for the trophy thing.... *shrug* don't care either way. A badge wouldn't change my using / not using the service, though.

Cheers!

C4.

Support

I think a dragon cave supporter badge would be a neat idea for people who pay to play without ads.

Edited by maylin

NO. TJ said at the time it was set up that there is no distinction made between those who can afford to pay and those who can't. Money never gives credit for anything in this game, not badges and not dragons. SO many people here couldn't hope to afford to pay. It would simply serve to create some kind of elite - NOT cool.

NO support. This has come up before actually, if a mod can find the thread ? I think TJ even said no.

ETA There is something relevant at the beginning of the Donations thread.

Many users are unable to donate for various reasons, from not having a job, parents won't allow it, don't have a card, or can't afford to put money into a game site. Although any donations made are sincerely appreciated, there is no and will be no rewards to people who donate. The only thing close to a reward for donating is a very sincere thank you.

I think the same applies here. A badge would make people who couldn't afford to pay feel like lesser people. Just make do with the warm fuzzies inside.

Edited by fuzzbucket

"But I believe a badge would be nice to have, since it doesn't give you any advantages."

But it DOES give you an advantage. It might not be rare dragons, or custom codes, etc but it does give you another badge on top of your scroll! Some users might be discouraged because that sort of badge would be unobtainable for them (like my broke self). Sometimes I hate not having a certain badge, but it was my own fault for not participating in that particular event. A donation/ad subscription badge isn't a badge that everyone can potentially get. It's "elitism" and I don't support ideas like that.

I vote no.

At first, I was thinking that this might be a neat idea, just a small token of appreciation from the site that doesn't help or hurt anyone.

But after reading through the comments, I think I'd have to disagree. DC is completely unlike other games in having completely NO reward or separation for those who can pay from those who can't. And I think that for those people who want to pay for things have many, many games to choose from, some similar to DC, where paying earns you elite status. But I don't want that to happen here; hard work and dedication earn you rewards, not a simple pay-to-win.

You can bet that people will start setting up fan sites or breeding projects that require you to have that badge, or people will start judging for that badge. I love this community, and I don't want it to be given the potential to tear itself apart from something as simple as a paid badge.

So, as much as I'd love to have a cute little badge (hehe, it could have been a kitty from the ad) I'll have to say no. Not for the badge itself, but for the possible ruining of a lovely community and game.

At first, I was thinking that this might be a neat idea, just a small token of appreciation from the site that doesn't help or hurt anyone.

But after reading through the comments, I think I'd have to disagree. DC is completely unlike other games in having completely NO reward or separation for those who can pay from those who can't. And I think that for those people who want to pay for things have many, many games to choose from, some similar to DC, where paying earns you elite status. But I don't want that to happen here; hard work and dedication earn you rewards, not a simple pay-to-win.

You can bet that people will start setting up fan sites or breeding projects that require you to have that badge, or people will start judging for that badge. I love this community, and I don't want it to be given the potential to tear itself apart from something as simple as a paid badge.

So, as much as I'd love to have a cute little badge (hehe, it could have been a kitty from the ad) I'll have to say no. Not for the badge itself, but for the possible ruining of a lovely community and game.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. No support.

So I know, on the page, it's written that there would be no exclusive egg or benefit  But I believe a badge would be nice to have, since it doesn't give you any advantages.

I've seen a lot of people using adblock on DC, including me, but I never saw anyone using the ad removal thing, since adblock is free. I believe true DC fan would like to have an unique badge, and in the same time help the website survive.

So if I'm not paying for the ad removal service, I'm not a true DC fan? Ludicrous. I'm swimming in debt up to my eyeballs thanks to some jerk who tried stealing my vehicle & destroyed it in the process, I am not going to pay for a silly badge that proclaims "I'm a true DC fan!" because I pay to block ads. My scroll says otherwise, thank you.

Zero support.

I'm one of the ones who really couldn't afford it, and... I dunno. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Though I can't afford it (and only just now turned old enough for buying things online to be a prospect at all) I've never had a problem with games that give people who pay money something - as long as it grants no actual in-game advantage, or free users can obtain the object through other, reasonable means.

Take, I dunno, Heroes of the Storm. Kinda sucks that there's no way to get 99.9% of the skins except through actual money, (and you unlock the ability to buy Heroic skins with vast sums of gold?!?! /ot) but you don't actually gain anything.

And this suggestion is on a much, much smaller scale. Maybe if this started being common it'd be something to get my panties in a bundle over, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over one tiny badge.

This is just my opinion, however...

The joy of this game is that NOTHING costs. Any money we put in is totally voluntary; we're all equal.

Also and actually - I wouldn't want to display such a badge - it would feel elitist.

Full disclosure: I don't pay for ad removal; I'm on a pension. Also I like to control what happens on the websites I visit my very own self. I prefer to donate when I feel like it and when I can.

But lord knows I am a true DC fan. xd.png

NO please. Please please no. This is eliteist and unfair and NO. And I really resent that you say that "true DC fans" will pay, so they deserve a badge. I have been a loyal DC player since 2008 and have lured many friends to play on the site as well. I love my scroll and can't *stand* to miss a single day on DC. I *AM* a true fan, thank you very much, regardless of the fact that I literally cannot donate.

After reading all the comments, I realized that even a small badge could be considered an advantage to some users, and for those who cannot pay, it quite unfair. I have personally changed my mind, and if I didn't made this thread, I would of voted no. If mods wanna close it, they could. Or they could keep it up in case of some good arguments.

Edited by kreepers_killer