Tango

Remove dragons names from dead scrolls

I think she is arguing from a lineage builder standpoint, and I can understand that. For instance, the original pair for the Hope lineage exist as wild dragons and lost their names when the scroll they were on was burnt. It would have been nice if they had retained their names, even though the lineage goes on without them.

I think she is arguing from a lineage builder standpoint, and I can understand that. For instance, the original pair for the Hope lineage exist as wild dragons and lost their names when the scroll they were on was burnt. It would have been nice if they had retained their names, even though the lineage goes on without them.

Fair enough - that does answer my question - which was just that I was curious. Though with stealing - that could still happen....

It could. But, at least for some less famous lineages, it might be less likely.

Thanks to purplehaze for answering in my stead. Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Fair enough - that does answer my question - which was just that I was curious. Though with stealing - that could still happen....

Yes, there's the chance that you'll get your lineage "ruined" with burnt scrolls as there is with inactive scrolls. However, you still stand the same chance in each case to keep your lineages with all its names intact. Which is why I support the same treatment for dragon names on both inactive and burnt scrolls.

Does anyone remember a while back there was a thread to duplicate already used names? I think that would be a solution in itself?

Does anyone remember a while back there was a thread to duplicate already used names? I think that would be a solution in itself?

No no no. That would be a terrible issue with lineages, with finding dragons, with avoiding inbreeding (for those who want to do that) and the rest.

There was a thread about this yes - but it's been pulled. Which probably says it all.

I see sock has just revived an even older one.

Edited by fuzzbucket

This problem is only going to get worse as DC goes on. Even people with naming schemes can have names taken by inactive scrolls, unless you have a very complex naming scheme like the surname 'ackwejunso'

Makes me sad to see great names going underappreciated. I think with a long enough period of inactivity, and name stealing the amount of users who are negatively affected wouldn't be that large. Certain lineages could be 'ruined' though. But that's always a risk with lineages created with other people, personally I don't see why DC should be protecting dragons when they don't belong to you.

This problem is only going to get worse as DC goes on. Even people with naming schemes can have names taken by inactive scrolls, unless you have a very complex naming scheme like the surname 'ackwejunso'

Makes me sad to see great names going underappreciated. I think with a long enough period of inactivity, and name stealing the amount of users who are negatively affected wouldn't be that large. Certain lineages could be 'ruined' though. But that's always a risk with lineages created with other people, personally I don't see why DC should be protecting dragons when they don't belong to you.

Good grief, why ? We can add weird surnames no-one else thinks of, spell strangely (I have MANY fictional characters spelt wrong, for instance) - and made up names and all sorts. There are BILLIONS of letter combinations even for just single word names.

What people mean is that they wanted - say - Marilyn Monroe and it's taken. Well, big deal - spell her Munroe, or Marylin - it's still quite obvious who the dragon is named for. There really isn't a problem except for people who "MUST" have the EXACT spelling of their favourite film stars, pokemon / WoW /Whatever characters, And even then - I bet Tango's Toothless/ Harry Potter/ Voldemort isn't gone....

There really isn't a problem except for people who "MUST" have the EXACT spelling of their favourite film stars, pokemon / WoW /Whatever characters, And even then - I bet Tango's Toothless/ Harry Potter/ Voldemort isn't gone....

I don't see why this is unreasonable to want, the genuine spelling is more valuable and looks nicer than spelling it weirdly or adding my own name. Having nice names is a big deal to people, it's one of the biggest defining things about a dragon. And seeing as these names are going to waste on inactive players and burned scrolls it would be nice to have another chance.

Well I can understand some of the concerns with important lineages for instance.

As for being inactive and how could that happen, way easy and I have been gone I am guessing about 5 years... RL just took over, but I do love the game.

So as you can all imagine all my Dragons had codes for names, clearly their names had been wiped or swiped not sure which, I am just happy the scroll did not say all dead or ran a way to the wild... way worse game options which I hope never are put in place. Now I get people play word games with names and have themes such as lyrics, poems and so on might be upset, but as an adult I just shrugged and said well that's my bad, and renamed all my Dragons. I picked a kind of sorta theme to use as a guide for name generation, and started a new...

I understand the pedigree is not as fun with codes popping in and out between names but it is not the end of the universe. Heck I am still digesting the other changes to the game. blink.gif

I decided I am okay with the name wipe for very inactive scrolls (accounts) such as mine was. I do think the account needs to be inactive for a long while such as at least a year.

Maybe an e-mail warning should be generated... saying something like "Warning from the Harold of the Dragon Masters your dragon names are about to be erased magically from their scroll and replaced with Runes of Mystery (aka code) unless you check on your dragons by such and such date." "Click here if you have forgotten how to log into your DragonCave Account". Just a suggestion.

I am just happy I recovered my account. Maybe we should realize that renaming dragons is a small penalty for inactivity... it could be worse account deleted, dragons run a way to the wilds, dragons all dead, dragons all sick and so on could all be way worse consequences. ohmy.gif

I'm torn on both sides of the issue. Because - yes, a lot of great names are trapped on the scrolls of people who'll never use them again. And that's depressing.

At the same time, you can take very long vacations from this site and still return. And more importantly - the names on your scroll don't affect just you. Back when names could disappear, I've had several dragons who were named after their parents lose their parents. Cliché and Protagonist's parents were no longer Mary and Sue and Gary and Stu, and Don't Hurt Me doesn't make much sense when her parents weren't What Is Love and Baby Don't Hurt Me anymore. I managed to snag the former's names when I realized the parents had been unnamed, but the latter was already gone, so now I have an awkward purple dragon who I really should rename, but don't have the heart to. Or my golden wyvern I'm Even Cooler Than That, whose parents used to be arguing with each other on how cool they were, and are now just codes.

Then there's dragons I have whose parents haven't lost their names, but entire lineages would be ruined if they were to spontaneously vanish. Anyone here remember I HAS THE DUMB and OMG CALL HAZMAT? Or... any of Iarsma's, really. Or any number of song lineages or meme lineages? The owners may not be here, but the people who have and cherish their progeny still are. Erasing those so somebody else can pick up a name can be pretty tragic.

Edited by Dianacat777

Good points. I had all my names erased, and a lot of their ancestors though owned by others are also erased. Then a few seem to have been killed and others released I think. A few ancestors of some of my oldest dragons still have names owned by others.

Maybe what would be good is a dragon who has offspring can not have it's name erased?

Grant you this would lock in names... Honestly there are great names in RL animal pedigrees for breeds and once used that's it.

To bad adult released dragons could not be caught and traded somehow. Then people could start to rebuild pedigrees. I would love to be able to capture the living ancestors that are now wild dragons and rename them...

Just spit wadding thoughts...

Well, TJ himself did float the idea of stealing names off long-inactive scrolls. That would leave MOST names in place, but release those most wanted....

No support from me.

It would break name lineages and I like those. Would be very annoyed to check a lineage and see the names got all messed up from this.

If it was only for dragons that people did not have offspring from that would be ok but that would probably be complicated.

Also when you could still lose names I was gone for a long time and it does suck when you come back to all your dragons names being gone. At the time I did not even know you could lose dragon's names that way and so was really confused at first but I have renamed a lot since then.

Edited by maylin

You don't lose them now. But the steal names idea was suggested after this was changed, so that names on long-abandoned scrolls weren't lost for ever.

I don't like this idea either. I was also one of the people who had my dragons names erased, and I couldn't get my original names back cause I was in a hiatus at the time. As someone else said already, I was confused when I came back and the first dragon I ever named was reverted back to it original code name. Her name was Nessie. It was upsetting at the time....

I just came back after a hiatus of literally 2+ years. And I'm looking at my scroll and quailing at the idea of renaming all my dergs. It's frustrating as heckie to me--though I know if I did remember my original names, I could likely get them back because scrollname convention (unique prefix afaik). I can't imagine how it'd feel to those who had plain names.

I can see where this would be super frustrating and devastating to some people, but I see no reason why names couldn't be stolen after a certain length of time. I've gone on long breaks from this site, sometimes a year or more. If this were implemented, I'd have no problem with it as long as everyone was notified (especially when creating your account). A year or more seems like a reasonable amount of time. And if you don't play for a year for whatever reason? No problem. Just log in once in awhile, like every few months and that keeps your account active. I have an old livejournal account that I no longer use but I keep active this way just so I don't lose my precious memories.

All I'm saying really is: If this is imposed, there needs to be serious notice for everyone.

Edited by teardroponfire

An entire scroll name wipe would be awful, but I like the thought of name stealing. I think 1 year with no activity--activity counting as something as simple as logging in or accessing the site without actually doing anything--would be reasonable.

An entire scroll name wipe would be awful, but I like the thought of name stealing. I think 1 year with no activity--activity counting as something as simple as logging in or accessing the site without actually doing anything--would be reasonable.

I think an entire scroll name wipe after a year or so *with the player being notified ahead of time* would be fine. At that point, there's a fairly good chance that the player isn't coming back. If they do, then they'll need to rename their dragons because they were responsible for not acknowledging the warning notifications. It's not fair to withold those names from others if they never do return.

However, just stealing the names isn't bad either.

I think an entire scroll name wipe after a year or so *with the player being notified ahead of time* would be fine. At that point, there's a fairly good chance that the player isn't coming back. If they do, then they'll need to rename their dragons because they were responsible for not acknowledging the warning notifications. It's not fair to withold those names from others if they never do return.

Ive taken two breaks so far. One was for two years, the other for a year and a half. It's quite possible to take breaks that long and find your way back to the site. xd.png

Had I had to come back and rename all my dragons? I'd have been upset. So.. name stealing might work better. But I'd be mad at this point if my.. lets say my alts lost their names.. So I don't know.

Edited by EscapistLore

Have you not seen the posts from people who had no option but to be totally off line - there was a friend of Sock's, to name but one. I have a friend who hasn't been able to be on line for years now, because she has lost her sight and has no money for a pooter of her own (she has enough issues paying for rent and groceries) - and library ones don't cater for this. She loves her scroll; she just can't look at it. But I can, and so can her friends.

Name stealing - after TWO years, I'd say - sure, but NOT a mass wipe.

I left this sight for three years because I couldn't get my eggs to hatch and grow. I came back and joined the forum finding egg click sights that help and found out that my scroll names were wiped. I was lucky I was able to get back my original names and remember the five names I had. Granted I only had a few dragons but I take great care and pride in naming my dragons. My most recent one is Swahili for Angel dream. Now I'm a silver trophy and it took me forever to get to that status. I can't remember all my names, spellings and such. I don't think it should be done I understand in like four or five years, they probably won't come back. And four or five years is a short time with the activity of DC.

I will loose it if I returned and saw my precious radiant Angel named Nico DiAngelo had his name whiped, and the Not all that is gold does glitter name order is gone too!

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

I'd be okay with namestealing after a year of inactivity, and a warning. I mostly use a scroll suffix, but sometimes a name just really, really doesn't look right if it has a suffix (or is spelled incorrectly), and finding a name you want on a scroll that's inactive is kind of a bummer.

Though I can see a bit of a problem with dragons with a description. If I came back after several years absence and found that Mythbusters had lost their name, but still has a description that both mentions the name Mythbusters and references the show,... that would be a bit weird.