Cinnamin Draconna

Request/Complaint

Since you seem to have found a way to keep us from blocking ANYTHING on the site, and making us lose functionality if we try. Can you please adjust the size of the new background image so that it doesn't scroll and remove the ads from the biome and abandoned pages?

I can live with the ads on static pages, but placing them on the biomes and abandoned pages makes it take longer to load with every refresh. For those with new/faster computers, it probably isn't an issue. But for those of us with old/slow computers it's unfair putting us at such a disadvantage. I'm not asking for anything special, just a level playing field.. or one as fair as possible for us poor folk.

As for the new background image... I love it so much that I use it as my computer wallpaper. BUT.. when using it on the site, whenever I scroll downwards everything looks like it skipping around and makes me dizzy. Resizing it to a standard screen size shouldn't be that much of a big deal and it would certainly make sense. Plus, when I try to block it, my drop down menu doesn't work and the fixes I've tried quit working every time I reload my browser. So I said to heck with it and excluded Dragon Cave from my Ad Block.

So since I've basically done what YOU wanted... turn off my Ad Block... can you please accept my requests as a gesture of good will and happy collecting?

I just have a little non-scrolling biome and AP page with little ads under the eggs - could this be browser/computer issue with some kind of a bug adding ads to yours?

Edit: thanks for the info, CaptainInsaneway, I should have considered that! smile.gif

Edited by Syphoneira

I just have a little non-scrolling biome and AP page with little ads under the eggs - could this be browser/computer issue with some kind of a bug adding ads to yours?

They could potentially have a smaller screen, I use a netbook and the smaller screen makes things a real pain.

I don't have any issues with blocking things when I really feel loading times are an issue during "serious hunting" times. I don't know if you do "serious hunting" all the time or not... I don't hunt the Caves or AP the way most people do. As in, I rarely hunt the Caves. If I hunted all the time in the caves, I would just donate each month or donate for the year to make ads go away all the time on the game.

At the same time, I also like to do the $5/mo as much as I remember to. I have stuff setup on my home computer that is completely different than when using my mobile. Home needs the ability to be able to block certain things sometimes for general privacy/protection issues with other sites. However, my cell doesn't, and I still see plenty of ads when I'm not donating.

Of course, I'm never attempting serious hunting on my mobile either. That's almost entirely forum browsing or quick dragon check ins.

Edited by natayah

My browser is Firefox 40.0.3.. the latest version.. and it works just fine. the ONLY site I have problems with is Dragon Cave, so I know it's something on TJ's side. Everything was working fine until a few days ago when the 'begging' ads started showing up again.. then my drop down quit working so I couldn't get to my Available for BSA dragon list. I had to disable ad block completely to get everything working again, and my reload times are now pathetic when hunting the biomes and/or the abandoned pages.

I've been a loyal player of this game since way back on 26-September 08. Unfortunately, that's also about how old my computer is and I can't afford a new one. I'm unemployed and medically unable to work (with a Drs. letter to prove it), so I can't even afford the $5 a month. What I'm asking for is NOT a major issue, just a compromise for those of us who are less fortunate than others.

My browser is Firefox 40.0.3.. the latest version.. and it works just fine. the ONLY site I have problems with is Dragon Cave, so I know it's something on TJ's side. Everything was working fine until a few days ago when the 'begging' ads started showing up again.. then my drop down quit working so I couldn't get to my Available for BSA dragon list. I had to disable ad block completely to get everything working again, and my reload times are now pathetic when hunting the biomes and/or the abandoned pages.

I've been a loyal player of this game since way back on 26-September 08. Unfortunately, that's also about how old my computer is and I can't afford a new one. I'm unemployed and medically unable to work (with a Drs. letter to prove it), so I can't even afford the $5 a month. What I'm asking for is NOT a major issue, just a compromise for those of us who are less fortunate than others.

I concur. And I CANNOT use the new skin; it makes me nauseous.

Maybe switch skins? I know that I do see the ads that you are talking about prior to logging in. But once I am logged in, I don't see anything when using the St. Pat's skin.

Maybe you could try a few other options. First of all, as Jazeki said, switching skins. More important, using, ONLY for DC, another browser. For example, I use Chrome (or Canary) only for DC, do not open any other site with it, keep history and cache clean and, more important, no addons/extensions whatsoever. In particular, no ad-blockers since they are famous for hogging resources, in particular memory.

I'm also using Firefox and i don't get any of these issues at all. but then I do also have an abnormally large screen and a very powerful computer.

Can you show us what you're getting on the biome pages for hunting with a screen cap. I'm just having trouble visualizing what you're describing. it sounds similar to what i get when i'm using my mobile phone. and i will admit that is massively annoying when trying to hunt very specific eggs. I've only hunted once on my phone, and that was for this latest release. Hated it.

I assume this is what you're referring to?

user posted image

Use NoScript, or just block JavaScript on DC. You'll lose precious little (literally the only downside I've noticed is the inability to see the contents of release posts) and gain a noticeable amount of speed. You can also use AdBlock to block the background image, just block static.dragcave.net/staging/new/bg.jpg and the background will go to black instead. I haven't noticed any speedup doing that, but it's easier on the eyes since the background image does tend to jump around if JavaScript is enabled (disabling JS also seems to stop the jumping, YMMV).

After pic:

user posted image

Well, turning off JavaScript does have a couple of drawbacks:

- Sorting. Most custom sorts don't work without JS.

- Fertility. You know it only works with JS enabled, right?

- Holiday events: Usually require JS as well.

However, it's possible to turn JS back on when you need, although it's a pain for Firefox without add-ons like NoScript.

If you're using firefox you can just disable the page style in the biomes and the AP: view -> page style > no style. If you don't see the old menu bar with the "view" menu, you can re-enable it by clicking customize -> show/hide toolbars -> enable menu toolbar.

The cave will then add a short text line that says "Please do not disable page styles.", but it doesn't really alter any functionality. The slow loading time with the style, the white flashing when the background image reloaded and the jerking of the reloading main table or whatever structures the cave was seriously annoying, slowing me down so I couldn't catch anything AND giving me a headache, so away it goes.

Maybe switch skins? I know that I do see the ads that you are talking about prior to logging in. But once I am logged in, I don't see anything when using the St. Pat's skin.

No - I "have to" use St Pat's to get rid of the nausea, and I concur; I've not seen the warning banners when logged in. (I have also told a friend how to make them, individually, go away in firefox xd.png)

But if you use the new skin, which I have tried again recently in case it had improved - even turning off page style doesn't help that much - and the new fertility thing is a NIGHTMARE. I wish we could have a no javascript version of that. Alt custom sort needs javascript as well. Yes there is a separate thread about fertility, but that Mr Flappy thing started with the new ski, and I am far for the only person who wants the old way back.

If it ain't broke, don't....

I had to switch to the '60's one, as the page keeps jumping when I refresh in the biomes. And viewing the lineage page, the image gets cut in half with the skin and solid black.

Just too buggy.

I'm playing DC on the newest Firefox browser and since the introduction of a new default page, hunting in the cave has become difficult, it takes ages for my laptop, which is pretty old, to load the new background along with all the adds. Trying to solve this, I tried using my Addblock Plus, but Addblock removes not only adds, but also vital parts of the site and so while the site does run faster, it's also pretty much unplayable. tongue.gif

I ended up using St. Patrick's skin - this one is not partially removed when using Addblock and everything runs much smoother. As much as I like the clock and currently important phases of the moon, I simply cannot hunt with the new default skin - my computer simply isn't strong enough to process everything.

As much as I like the clock and currently important phases of the moon, I simply cannot hunt with the new default skin - my computer simply isn't strong enough to process everything.

For the clock-dependent breeds, you can always go to Help => Time Reference. It's what I use with my non-default skin.

I also have a frozen Nocturne hatchie at the top of my scroll - that at least gives me night vs day !

Edited by fuzzbucket

For anyone who uses Safari, what extension are you using to block the "buy a subscription" ad at the bottom of the page? Neither Adblock nor Adblock Plus do crap for me.

I'm playing DC on the newest Firefox browser and since the introduction of a new default page, hunting in the cave has become difficult, it takes ages for my laptop, which is pretty old, to load the new background along with all the adds. Trying to solve this, I tried using my Addblock Plus, but Addblock removes not only adds, but also vital parts of the site and so while the site does run faster, it's also pretty much unplayable. tongue.gif

I ended up using St. Patrick's skin - this one is not partially removed when using Addblock and everything runs much smoother. As much as I like the clock and currently important phases of the moon, I simply cannot hunt with the new default skin - my computer simply isn't strong enough to process everything.

Did you go overboard with the filter subscriptions? Try to avoid subscribing to filters you don't really benefit from, like those for sites from regions that you don't visit often. That should lower the chance of a filter blocking things it has no business blocking.

Alternatively, turn on the "Open blockable items" bar when something's wrong, and either whitelist the specific item for DC or disable the rule causing it altogether.

For anyone who uses Safari, what extension are you using to block the "buy a subscription" ad at the bottom of the page? Neither Adblock nor Adblock Plus do crap for me.

AFAIK you'll need a custom rule for it.

Edited by CNR4806

Did you go overboard with the filter subscriptions? Try to avoid subscribing to filters you don't really benefit from, like those for sites from regions that you don't visit often. That should lower the chance of a filter blocking things it has no business blocking.

Alternatively, turn on the "Open blockable items" bar when something's wrong, and either whitelist the specific item for DC or disable the rule causing it altogether.

Hmm, will try what you suggested - didn't really cross my mind to check, so thanks for the heads up. smile.gif