glytchling

Sort by generation

Purely just me being lazy, but I thought it'd be easier to breed dragons if you could sort them by lineage. Caveborns top of the page, then 2gs, 3gs, and so on.

Thoughts?

I don't think it would be helpful. If you have several thousand dragons, a sort by generation won't help you at all in finding the dragon(s) you're looking for, especially if you consider that all CBs would be sorted by age (by default), as would be all 2nd gens and so on.

Purely just me being lazy, but I thought it'd be easier to breed dragons if you could sort them by lineage. Caveborns top of the page, then 2gs, 3gs, and so on.

Thoughts?

Personally, I could use a feature like that. In particular, would decrease my chances of breeding a 4th even gen with a CB or similar mistakes sad.gif

I would love some kind of generation marker. I've almost given up on influencing my stripes and seasonals because I haven't kept track of lineages, and having to load hundreds of tabs and then clicking lineage on all of them is really irritating - loading only the ones where the generation was the same would save me a ton of effort.

Thoughts?

I already do this within each breed, CB, 2nd, 3rd, 4th...PB, 2nd gen two breeds, 3rd, 4th..., to 3rd gen mixed breeds, all by Alternate Custom Sort.

I seriously don't believe that any system of sorts could cover all the intricacies of the ways I try to sort my 5000+ dragons. wacko.gif

Good luck.

Personally, I could use a feature like that. In particular, would decrease my chances of breeding a 4th even gen with a CB or similar mistakes sad.gif

Not really. What's going to tell you where your CBs end and your 2nd gen starts? What about the transition from 4th to 5th gens? Right, it isn't there. Unless you name your dragons something like "2nd gen canopy number 194". :/

Not really. What's going to tell you where your CBs end and your 2nd gen starts? What about the transition from 4th to 5th gens? Right, it isn't there. Unless you name your dragons something like "2nd gen canopy number 194". :/

If you were searching for a 2g dragon you'd at least know that it'd probably be near the top, which I think I think is better than "somewhere between pages 2 and 7"

This isn't a job for a sort, even tho it would be nice. This would be better handled by either tags or tabs.

Maybe one of these years, TJ will decide to fix our sorting problems.. but I'm not holding my breath until he does.

If you were searching for a 2g dragon you'd at least know that it'd probably be near the top, which I think I think is better than "somewhere between pages 2 and 7"

Exactly. Let's assume that I've a low gen prize that I want to breed with a CB copper, I would be checking from the top, not every Copper. As I said, I could personally use the feature, in particular because being mostly a collector of rares I do not have, nor plan on having, 4000+ dragons smile.gif

To me, this doesn't really seem useful unless we get a multi-sort option. There is already a suggestion for sorting by generation + breed which seems more useful. Although I think ultimately, being able to tag by generation would be the most useful, although it'd be more time consuming on us users.

For your idea, what were you thinking the default would be (because you have more than one cb, more than one 2nd gen, etc). Date? Breed? Date and breed?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Define "near the top"!

I have close to 4000 dragons, most of which are CB. Since my pages show 100 dragons each, what do you think how many pages I'd have to look through (from top to bottom!) to find my CB coppers? Well? (Somewhere between pages 1 and 22, maybe 24.) And what about my 2nd gens? (They'd probably turn up somewhere between pages 22 and 30.)

Now, with "sort by breed", I can open a random page (based on a guesstimate as to where my coppers are likely to be). Since C is pretty much at the beginning of the alphabet, I started with page 8. Seeing that there were daydreams on top, I knew I wouldn't find my coppers there, but on a previous page. So, I opened page 6 - and saw coastal waverunners on the top of the page. My coppers are slightly below that. wink.gif

And, since I use a certain prefix for (most of) my CBs, I can tell on one glance which of my coppers are caveborn.

The problem is that, with sort by generation, you have one really big category (CB) followed by several categories that get smaller with every new category. (There are more CBs than 2nd gens around, and more 2nd gens than 3rd gens - and so on.) Another problem is that it is not obvious where a category starts or ends - you'll actually have to check the lineage to find out. Another problem is that you have a rather small amount of categories, since most dragons have less than 12 generations of ancestry.

Sorting by breed or color, however, gives you 100 or more different categories, and due to different sprites, you know on a glance where one category ends and the next one starts. Which makes looking through one single category (brown coppers, for example) much easier than looking through all your CB dragons.

For your idea, what were you thinking the default would be (because you have more than one cb, more than one 2nd gen, etc). Date? Breed? Date and breed?
The default for all kinds of sorts is by age. If you sort by breed, you have the oldest dragons on top of their breed and the youngest on the bottom. It's the same for color sort - and, obviously, for growth and age, too. I don't think it would be any different for a "generation sort".

Not sure really how helpful this would be if it didn't distinguish between lineage type. Lumping 4th gen stairsteps with 4th even gen with 4th gen inbred mutts would not be helpful at all to me. My scroll is over 4300 dragons with roughly a third of those cave born.

I use alternate custom sort and only some sections of my scroll are organized. Starting to think I will need a blog somewhere to really keep track of the lineages I want to show off in my lineage group. Just trying to keep the golden wyvern x ribbon dancer and silver x yulebuck organized and what do I need to look for next holiday is a headache.

I really doubt anyone would come up with a sorting system that would duplicate what I am trying to organize by lineage type. Even gen with holidays in the lineage in one section, even gen without holidays in lineage in another. The 2nd gen from metal collections with catagories of silver father, gold father, etc. Which means I don't pay much attention to what breed the dragon is, but what it's lineage is for sorting, haha. Still trying to figure out how to handle the old pink and frill lineages, they would fit in more than one catagory. Your idea might be helpful for a smaller scroll but I don't think it would help mine.

I know people complain about it, but honestly I just name mine so I'd remember the gens easier.

Like the first, 2nd 3rd and so forth. If they have mates I name them to coincide with the first name of said dragon.

Not sure really how helpful this would be if it didn't distinguish between lineage type.  Lumping 4th gen stairsteps with 4th even gen with 4th gen inbred mutts would not be helpful at all to me.  My scroll is over 4300 dragons with roughly a third of those cave born.

I use alternate custom sort and only some sections of my scroll are organized.  Starting to think I will need a blog somewhere to really keep track of the lineages I want to show off in my lineage group.  Just trying to keep the golden wyvern x ribbon dancer and silver x yulebuck organized and what do I need to look for next holiday is a headache.

I really doubt anyone would come up with a sorting system that would duplicate what I am trying to organize by lineage type.  Even gen with holidays in the lineage in one section, even gen without holidays in lineage in another.  The 2nd gen from metal collections with catagories of silver father, gold father, etc.  Which means I don't pay much attention to what breed the dragon is, but what it's lineage is for sorting, haha.  Still trying to figure out how to handle the old pink and frill lineages, they would fit in more than one catagory.  Your idea might be helpful for a smaller scroll but I don't think it would help mine.

I have the same size issues that you do. I sort by gens within each breed, CB, 2nd, 3rd, etc., all PBs first, then two-breed dragons, divided by the second breed, and from 3rd gen on, mixed breeds. Each gen is broken down further by even gens first within the gen, followed by stairs, messies at the end of the breed, followed by any new dragons that need to get sorted into the mix.

There are other considerations, but it's always work in progress! And this idea by itself won't work for scrolls like ours, since there no way it can make all the nuances necessary for scrolls of this size.

Edited by dragongrrl

To me, this doesn't really seem useful unless we get a multi-sort option. There is already a suggestion for sorting by generation + breed which seems more useful. Although I think ultimately, being able to tag by generation would be the most useful, although it'd be more time consuming on us users.

Even if we couldn't sort by gen, being able to know what tabs *not* to have to open up when checking dragons could really help me.. maybe I am odd in how I do things and it wouldn't be very universally useful?

I guess this might be helpful to some people, but as Dracaena said, if it lumps all 4th gens together no matter what the lineage, it would not help me at all.

I don't really care much about generation for any but my even gens. I have solved that little problem for my own use by just adding i, ii, iii, iv, v, vi, etc. to the end of the dragon name. It is not as obtrusive as some naming systems that I have seen and really object to, but it lets me know at a glance if I am messing up and breeding a CB with a 3rd gen. It can also help a bit with the duplicate name problem. wink.gif