Fantasy Writer's Muse

Cold Iron & Pixie Dust [OOC]

I need to say it:

This thread DEFINITELY caught some attention o.O

Haha. Really? I'm rather excited people like the idea and are joining up!

I need to figure out a character... and how to start. All I'm coming up with is a cafe, which is the modern equivalent to a medieval tavern. xd.png

By the by, I think I'm all caught up with character sheets in the second post of the IC thread, but if I've missed one, let me know.

Name: AhoReal Name: Erline Mayfair

Race/ Species: Enwisp

Enwisps are a race of child-like trickster spirits. Enwisps are not "born", instead they are created from the feelings of children who died before they could properly live out their childhood and have fun. They are known for being playful but this sometimes turns sour and they become aggressive towards other people in an attempt to play. They are fae-like in appearance, being very small and having pointed ears. Light skin is very uncommon for Enwisps as they instead have tanned skin or very dark skin. Their hair can grow to any length and is most commonly white or black. Probably the most striking feature about them is the appearance of brambles. Brambles are thorn-like wings that sprout from the backs of Enwisps and seem to outline a pair of tiny wings, completing their fae-like appearance. Like their namesake, brambles are branch-like structures that will grow thorns over time if not regularly tended to. Brambles are thought to be the physical manifestation of the powers of Enwisps and grow very slowly over time. If exposed to negative feelings or left untended, the brambles threaten to "choke" their owner by growing too quickly around them until they are unable to move. If cut, they grow back much more aggressive so instead they must be carefully filed down every so often to keep them tame. The growth of their brambles is out of the control of Enwisps but due to its slow rate, they tend not to be thought of as dangerous by Enwisps. Additionally, complete removal of the brambles renders an Enwisp without its powers so getting rid of them is not an option. Additionally, brambles also allow Enwisps to hover short distances from the ground and is one of the few magical things they can preform without saying anything.

When it comes to powers, Enwisps use the energy of their souls to cast spells. These spells cannot actually conjure anything new into existence, but instead must change pre-existing materials into something else or conjuring illusions. These spells are accomplished through the aid of words, meaning that if they are unable to speak, they are unable to preform magic. This also means words are powerful to them and they tend to tread carefully in what they say. Enwisps quite literally worship words and the power that they hold and if they had any kind of society, they would probably have a religion centered around it. But Enwisps are species reluctant to interact with one another and instead prefer the company of other races so this is rare.

In terms of weaknesses, Enwisps have a great dislike for water. In fact, large enough quantities of water can actual burn an Enwisp's skin like acid. Even when using magic to shield them, water still makes them very uncomfortable and they will avoid it when possible. Additionally, knowing an Enwisp's name is dangerous for them as their names are actually spells in themselves. Uttering an Enwisp's name makes it unable to control it's powers properly for a short period of time and can cause the Enwisp pain if said with enough force backing it up. This is why each Enwisp gives themselves a common name from birth and avoid giving out their full name except to those they trust fully and completely. Physically, they are rather frail and easily overpowered in close combat. Since their spells are based on weaknesses, simply covering their mouths is enough to get them to stop doing anything.

Occupation: He works in a bakery during the day but at night, he usually just haunts things pretending to be a ghost to scare kids.

Appearance: Aho has dark skin and white hair. His eyes are light blue in color. When he uses spells to disguise himself, the only thing he really changes are his ears since his brambles can just be laid flat against his back and hidden under a shirt.

Aho

Personality:Aho is a rather distant creature. While he enjoys playing games with humans (usually by pretending to be a ghost), he is actually quite reclusive when it comes to actually confronting and talking to them. He's also a very anxious creature. Aho tends to take all of the responsibly for everything and this tends to make him stressed and irritable. Aho is the type of person to only have a few friends but those friends are ones he feels very, very close to and trusts fully.

Background: Aho was raised by himself, on his own. His early life was largely spent outside of civilizations in forests, playing tricks on the people who went hiking into his territory using his magic. But his childish antics only went on so long as, eventually, Aho felt himself drawn into civilization. For a long time, he simply watched and observed, using his skills to hide himself in abandoned buildings and torment the people who trespassed there. But he grew curious of the humans and eventually took it upon himself to disguise himself and try to enter their world for himself. He ended up getting a part time job at a bakery and, after proving he was quite good at making cakes and such, became a full-time worker there.

Other:

Oh, quite an interesting thing to ask - do our characters know each other? If anyone would like for his character to know mine, just tell me, unless FWM says all of us actually know each other ^^

doubtful mine would know anyone unless they were regular visitors to the shop. even then he doesn't have any friends at this stage so they'd just be acquaintances, which im fine with if someone wants.

Edited by Switch

doubtful mine would know anyone unless they were regular visitors to the shop. even then he doesn't have any friends at this stage so they'd just be acquaintances, which im fine with if someone wants.

Well, our characters need to have some life aside from their jobs, right? Remember that the magical & co have their own secret community.

ehh dorijan doesnt really, that's kind of part of his starting character... his father might but he's kind of a hermit as well.

I'd say it's plausible for some of the characters to know each other before it starts, though of course you would have to talk to their players and decide it beforehand. I'm horrible with starting roleplays. *flails*

I've been thinking of making up a government agent-esq figure, and perhaps they called everyone together for a secrit meeting? ...that could also happen later on, too.

that could maybe work. ouo;

like i said if anybody wants their characters acquainted to dorijan that's fine.

If someone wants to know/be friends with Aho in advance, it would actually help a lot. His personality would make meeting up with everyone difficult unless he already has a foot in the door in terms of friendship.

i actually have a plan for getting dorijan out and meeting up with everyone at first if we don't do the government call. ouo/

Edited by Switch

I can see Zach being friends with Aho, if that's all right, especially if the bakery is right down the street from the pet store. Zach is really good at getting people to trust him, and I think he'd get a kick out of Aho's antics.

Zach and Aho should totally be friends! Aho would be a super hypocrite because he'd get fussy if Zach stole something and then he'd turn around and break a bunch of other laws just for kicks.

actually now that i think about it having at least one acquaintance would make writing dorijan a little easier for Reasons (even if we do the government call at first) so yeah if someone wants to do that

Edited by Switch

Oh goodness. Apologies for disappearing. o3o Real life nommed my faec.

Regardless, I have half of a post written up for starting in a cafe and half of a post written up for starting in a sooper secrit government blacksite. Anyone have a preference?

I thought about starting at my shop and talking with some random human NPC about the magi etc, but I guess that shortly after that I can close the shop and head to the cafe, unless it wouldn't be evening. Then I'd need to find another way to get myself into the cafe.

I'm good with either one ouo:/ I feel like government might be a more interesting start but idk

I'm good with either one ouo:/ I feel like government might be a more interesting start but idk

It might be, but my character doesn't mess with politics anymore x3

huhh yeah.. i think i'd need a reason for dorijan's father to go if we did the cafe thing :v

True! I'll see about getting a post up sometime later today. :3 I think I'll be going with the government agent one on my end, just to get that little plotline jump started.

yaay im excited to get started \ouo/! and yeah that sounds good.

...so would anyone want to be acquainted to dorijan ahead of time or...? ouo;

Also Dotzrus, how about making it that I am regular folk at Sarkan's bar?

Sarkan... My MtG senses are tingling