pudding

Demonic Exterminators

Watinen checked the watch on his right wrist and frowned. How late would they be? It was worrying. As Lucy spoke, his sharp gaze remained on the watch. I am indeed Lucy's teacher. My name is Watinen. He was obviously focused more on his watch. It wasn't, exactly, a watch. More of a temporal guide to the Weakpoints of the planes. But also a watch. He had already sent White through, now it was just waiting for the young reaper to give the signal to make them a rift. The same went for Crowe. Watinen had picked out a special pocket in the realms for them to meet, and it was difficult for the other reapers to find. Do keep in mind, Mister Valentine, that the reaper sitting upon your shoulder could instantly kill you should you misbehave. He wasn't stupid, nor was Terrin. Even from where the owl stood she was slowly sapping energy from Skylar. Violence between the Meduims was the last thing they needed.

Blaise blinked in confusion. "Wh-what?" He stared at the cat, startling when it jumped and went passed him. He frowned slightly. This sounded important, but... He glanced at Sam. "Hey, uh, Sam, I think I need to go... Somewhere. It's, uh, urgent. I'll... I promise that I will come back ASAP, though. Bye!" And with that, he ran after the cat. What bad timing... He didn't even get his coffee.

-

Skylar stared at the reaper who had spoken and tilted his head the same way a curious animal would. No lies, he didn't think so, at least... And... If he was correct in his assumptions then... He suddenly smirked a sharp, vicious smirk and cast his gaze to the owl. The possibility of being killed or drained by by the being on his shoulder didn't bother him at all. He had always gone into fights knowing that he could be fatally wounded or even killed. This wasn't much different. Well, it was, but his mentality probably helped a lot with adjusting.

"So... Was it you who took out those three insects earlier?" He asked, voice a quiet rasp and a glimmer of something disturbingly similar to respect shining in his eyes. "You can kill anyone? With just a touch?"

Terrin's calm gaze remained on Skylar as she drained his energy. Why, of coursee, dear. You were paired with a class-A exterminator. Someome such as yourself would not be ablw to be taught by anything less. She replied calmly. She stopped with her sapping, satisfied with her work. There was careful consideration put into every pairing. The gauge of power of a Meduim was balanced with the power of the reaper. So, someone not as powerful got a reaper skilled in combat(such as Lucy and Watinen) and someone skilled in combat recieved an immensely gifted reaper (like Skylar and Terrin). We all have classes, you see. Watinen is a Class-X enforcer, for example. He's infamous for maintaining order with all established laws.

"Good Lord, Katrina." Annie said, rolling her eyes. "There's no need for that, I was going to introduce myself." She nudged the barrel of the gun away. "I'm Annie Storm, like she just said. Katrina's my reaper." Under her breath she muttered, "And a dang good shot, too." Listening to the conversation of the others, her eyes widened when she realized that Skylar was a reaper too. Why couldn't it have been Blaise, instead? He was much better tempered. Skylar made her nervous, though the fact that his reaper could control him was comforting... kinda.

Edited by polaristar

This was bad news. A frown appeared on Eurus's features as he stared at the door. So... Blaise was a Medium then. He had picked the wrong man to try to befriend. This would be dangerous between him and the strange demon he had seen. Leaning against the counter slightly, he looked over at the man as he set two cups on the counter, just now noticing Blaise had vanished.

"Oh, your friend is gone!" He said, looking at Eurus.

"It seems so," Eurus replied, taking both cups. He'd have to return home at this point to discuss things with Dwilian. What else could he do? They'd have to be very clever.

The kitten struggled to climb up the large flight of stairs, only making it about half way before turning to look back at Blaise. "I apologize for my delay," he declared, head tilted slightly to the side. "No doubt you noticed a disappearance in your Reaper. I am here to replace her until the Spirit Plane discovers what happened to her. You've been left out of the loop so you couldn't have known there was a meeting nearby of all Mediums and their Reapers that you must attend. I'd show you where it is but the nearest host I could acquire is very tiny and not so strong."

Skylar gave a thoughtful hum. How very interesting. "Then why can't you go after demons by yourselves?" He asked curiously, without his usual malice or anger. "Or are they different from humans, making you unable to use the same tricks you had used before?" He then glanced towards the others slightly, "I highly doubt you need me to introduce myself," he told them. His gaze then returned to the owl. "On another note, will I ever be able to spar with them?"

-

Blaise gave the kitten a warm smile. He nodded. He had been wondering about Kit. "Do you want help then?" He asked, scooping the small body up. "I'll get you up there." He then walked up the stairs before depositing the kitten at the top. "Lead the way," he suggested cheerfully.

White only nodded in reply and quickly started off. They were close but his legs were tiny and they were late as it was. They had to get to the warehouse quickly. His tiny paws carried him quickly across the street and to where he had been told the meeting would be held. He paused in front of the closed door then glanced back for Blaise to open the door. "In here. We're already late so let's enter quietly. I haven't been told much but attendance is mandatory."

I am an exterminator. Therefore, it's my duty to kill demons. However, since no other reaper was willing to take you as a student, I was transferred to the Educators to teach you hunt demons on your own. Terrin, who had long since calmed down and forgiven Skylar, rubbed her cheek against Skylar's. For such a powerful reaper, she was awfully affectionate. I'm afraid not, darling. You're supposed to collaborate with these Meduims, not fight with them. Her gaze flickered to the reaper who had organized the meeting. Watinen is a lot stronger than he looks. He was basically a bounter hunter of demons before he was assigned Lucy. If you even laid a hand on his human, he could easily fight you. And Katrina...She's even more fearsome. Just be happy that we're allowing you to kill demons.

Watinen, in question, look back down at his watch as it flashed. Aha! He rushed to the door, opening it to the outside world. Come now, enter before anyone notices! For such a violent reaper, he was suprisingly organized. He ushered both Blaise and White inside, closing the rift and shutting the door as soon as they entered. It's about time you arrived! Fortunately, we've only just begun. Mister Valentine, I suggest you depart with your brother next time. Maybe then you won't be tardy. It was no wonder why Watinen was chosen as a teacher. He acted like one on a daily basis! After giving both White and his temporary human a stren, knowing look, his gaze returned to the rest of the group. Now we only need Crowe and his human.

White feathers filled the air as a less-than-majestic swan descended in front of Leon, looking incredibly cross with the boy he was staring at. It was clear not all was as it seemed with this creature since Crowe's top hat floated above its head, indicating the reaper was actually the swan. If it was possible for a bird to smile, Crowe would have but as it was, he did leer rather magnificently at the human. "Hey, kiddo. Why don't we skip the part where you run away and you just turn your butt around? I'm running late as it is and I'd rather not be berated for tardiness that's your fault." He stared up at Leon, snapping his beak slightly. He was flesh and blood now and he could do some serious damage if Leon remained stupid.

The kitten slunk inside in response, knowing very well that he was both late and inferior to the full-fledged Reapers. He was only a substitute, after all, and while he was rising quickly in ranks, he wasn't one to argue with them. Ranks existed for a reason and he would not disobey his superiors. Whispering an apology, he quickly moved inside then stood perfectly still. What else should he do? He was not used to this in the slightest and had no idea what to do. As he did enter, however, the room quickly dropped several degrees until the windows began to frost at the edges. He couldn't help it if he was nervous.

Leon was really shocked when a swan appeared in front of him. What was a swan doing here at this time leaping out in front of him? Then he spotted the top hat. Well that explains it. he thought. He wasn't really that surprised. Crowe did seem like a stubborn person who wouldn't give up that easily. Oh well. A swan should be easier to outrun than a spirit. Then Crowe started talking. That did surprise Leon. He didn't know a swan could be so capable of talking. "What? You accuse me of making you late? The meeting you're proposing would make me late getting home, you know. That is, if I was going to attend it." And then he ran

((yep, sorry, it sounds like you're going to have to peck him or something before you get him to the meeting. ))

Edited by MessengerDragon

"Ahaha..." Blaise gave a sheepish laugh and rubbed the back of his head. "Sorry, sorry," he apologized, even though it technically wasn't his fault that he was late. Then he realized what the other had said and paled. Brother? "S-Skylar's here?" He stuttered, looking around for his violent brother. To his surprise, he found the other boy with an owl on his shoulder, gently stroking the owl's breast feathers. He blinked and sighed, hoping that the other would make a scene, and joined the main group.

-

Skylar gave a slight nod and a thoughtful hum as he took in the information, one hand automatically rising to pet the owl. Dang, he couldn't spar with these other mediums? He gave a slight sigh. "I'll take that first sentence as a compliment. But... Not even sparring? They're probably pretty weak anyways. Isn't sparring going to help them get stronger? If I can't spar with them..." He cast his gaze to Katrinia. "Can I spar with her?" He gave a nod towards Katrinia.

"Ha! I like him!" Katrinia suddenly exclaimed, a shark-like grin on her young face. "He's just as amusing as Annie here!"

Skylar smirked a little, eyes gleaming. "Then why don't we spar sometime?"

"Sure! If ya can keep up, Skylar Valentine!" Katrinia agreed, holding out a hand to shake.

Skylar narrowed his eyes and walked forwards, taking the other's hand. "I'll hold you to that agreement." Suddenly, he snatched his hand back as he was shocked.

"Got'cha!" She chirped, giving an exaggerated cackle of evil laughter.

Skylar just raised an eyebrow, made a grinning sound and turned. Quick as he did though, he whirled and jabbed his hand at Katrinia's stomach. The reaper yelped a little in surprise. "Got you back," Skylar said, smirking. Then, he noticed Blaise. "Trash, you're a medium, too?" He asked, crossing his arms, "I should've known..."

Now he was just being silly. Sure he could move faster as a spirit but he had also deliberately requested this form. Swans could be very, very dangerous but it still allowed him to go among humans unlike other dangerous creatures. Hissing in response, he took a running start after Leon, flapping his large wings to get into the air before almost immediately arching down to ram himself into Leon's back. He wasn't going to stand for any of this! "You are going to attend it or I'll kill you and drag you there myself. I don't believe they ever said you needed to be alive to show up."

White blinked slowly then followed Blaise to the main group, deciding it prudent to remain with his medium. Since his host was small and weak, he decided to abandon it for the moment and appeared hovering above the small shape. He knew it had been the closest thing and this was an emergency but really? It felt ridiculous inhabiting such a small form when others got much better ones. It was then he noticed the clear tensions between Blaise and another medium nearby. "Is this one of those human customs I've heard about called hatred?" He asked, looking up at Blaise curiously.

Eurus quickly arrived back at his house, taking his shoes off at the door and hurrying inside. It was lucky for him his mother was away and his father was still in the hospital. Eurus didn't mind humans so much but he had grown rather attached to the ones that had raised him. He didn't want to see them caught up in all of this until the threat passed and, after all, they had raised him, in a sense. His powers and mind were demonic in nature but the fact he had taken control of a baby's body and grown up in it meant there was something distinctly human about him. It made it much easier to blend in and hopefully, the Reapers would not take notice of him.

"Well, well. Isn't this a surprise?"

Eurus stopped dead in his tracks and turned, looking towards the living room. A girl was sitting there, dressed in unusual clothes. Her horns were the most obvious part about her but now that he had seen her, it was clear she was a demon. Damn, his senses had grown soft! He should have been able to sense her! The female demon smirked slightly as he backed away, his fists clenched. "Relax, relax. I'm here to chat. I couldn't help but notice you earlier today and I'm intrigued. Tell me, what is a demon doing in a human school? It's only been three weeks, however did to manage to get yourself in there?"

Edited by pudding

Terrin's grip on Skylar's shoulder slowly tightened. She didn't like how the two reacted to each othe. She shifted her weight uneasily, before flapping her wings and screeching. If that was any way to change the subject, it was like that.

I suppose we shouldn't wait any longer. We need to discuss the reasons you lot were chisen ss mediums. We need help destroying the outbreak. Watinen paid no mind to the two brothers, and instead got straight to business. Crowe, that fool, likely scared off his human. How that reaper had even managed to get a position, he didn't know.

--

Dwilian had ran rather late. As he had his own "parents", just like Eurus, it had been kind of hard to convince them to let him stay over at Eurus's house. He didn't find it fair to use his influences on his parents. It didn't feel right. Clutching a duffle bag filled with clothes, the demon hurried to his "friend's" house. Even though Dwilian was, in theory, stronger than Eurus, he was much weaker-willed. So, as he rapped his knuckles on the door, he bit his lip. This was terrifying. Would Eurus try to hurt him too?

Eurus kept his gaze trained on the female as she glanced over at the door. "Ohh, company?" She asked, rising and crossing past Eurus to the door. She seemed to have little worry about more people coming inside so she whisked the door open, smiling down at the demon standing on the doorstep. "Oh, I was hoping you'd come," She purred, leaning against the door slightly. "It's much easier having you both in one spot rather than having to hunt you down. Why don't you come inside, out of the light?"

Blaise gulped and gave an awkward laugh. "Hey, bro, how've you been?" He asked weakly getting a glare in return. Blaise could see from where he was that the owl's talons were cutting into Skykar's clothes, but the other didn't even flinch. Blaise cringed slightly before turning to White. "Well, I wouldn't call it hatred, per se..." He muttered, trying to be considerate of Watinen who was now talking business.

Katrinia, unfortunately, didn't seem to have such qualms and cheerfully asked, "Is this the pulling pigtail's expression then?" Cheerfully, and loudly.

Blaise choked and coughed while Skylar gave her an incredulous stare.

"W-we're brothers!" He managed to wheeze.

"It isn't counted as incest if you aren't related, though, so you have nothing that needs to be hidden from us," Katrinia told him seriously.

"You have it wrong, Carnivore. This is called a sibling rivalry," Skykar said calmly.

Katrinia blinked at him and then nodded happily. "Okay!"

"If you are brothers, why do you hate one another?" White pipped up. Honestly, humans were so weird. Reapers did not have family in the same way as humans since hardly anyone knew where they came from. They just... Formed. They aged, of course, so young Reapers were adopted into circles that became their family not long after they were found wandering the spirit plane but finding a child in general was a rarity. White wasn't sure any more had been found after his discovery and he would say that he was probably the youngest reaper. But he also had denied being adopted into a family circle, choosing instead to directly enroll into the acadamey to become a Reaper. But to his understanding, family circles rarely argued or hated one another. It was unusual for him and he couldn't understand how brothers could hate each other.

Blaise blinked at White and grinned. "As Skykar said, it's more of a rivalry than hatred. Skylar is, well, competitive and he loves to fight. So, he wants to see which of us two is stronger. That's why he wants to fight me. However, because I refuse every time and run from him, he gets irritated," he explained. Blaise glanced at Skylar hesitantly. "Yeah?" Skylar nodded in response. Blaise was rather surprised that Skylar hadn't become aggressive even once throughout the conversation. Usually Blaise wouldn't test the other's limits, but today... "I'm sure though, deep down, he loves me just like a brother should!" He exclaimed, holding a hand to his heart.

Skylar growled warningly. "Trash..."

"De Nile is not just a river in Egypt, brother mine," Blaise countered, tone playful, but inwardly freaking out at his bold actions. Skylar was going to kill him. If not now, soon.

((So I thought of an idea while in band: what if they were having more than just a demon problem? What if souls were escaping from the cracks as well? ))

Poor Dwilian wasn't expecting an ambush. He froze where he was and instantly became several shades paler. No. Oh no. Numbly did the skittish demon scoot inside and sink into the nearest chaie. As soon as he did, he curled up into a tight ball. Maybe if he was een as smaller he'd be killed last. Bigger, stronger demons were a serious problem. They always preyed on the weak like himself. Shortly after he sat down did the lights and appiances in the house shut off. In fact, it had happened in the entire neighborhood. Even the city. This blackout had no usual cause either.

She was having a wonderful time. Any demon would. It had started with snapping a power line, and then it led to...this. The power facility had no one alive in it after she had tracked it down. Bodies that once resembled humans were now charred piles. With the power plant all to herself, she made haste in take the power for herself. Stalking among the ashes, Piciil ran her fingers through a powdered corpse. She wasn't interested in the ashes, but the soul it held. No reapers had gotten to them yet, and she was famished. This plane was a buffet just waiting to be claimed!

"Well, well," Luul exclaimed, her voice ringing out from the shadows. Eurus had moved away from the wall, giving himself a few inches of space all around him as the female demon stalked in the darkness, not minding or questioning the loss of power. "This is interesting, isn't it?"

"What do you want?" Eurus asked, his hands curling slightly into fists. Luul chuckled and waved a hand dismissively at him.

"Oh, relax! Killing you right now would attract far too much attention. I'm not here to fight, I'm here to control. You two are going to follow me as I slaughter the Reapers that have been sent down onto this plane. I thought I could use some back up and since you two are intigrated into the human system known as school, it should be easy for you two to distract the Mediums and distance them from their Reapers. It's a win-win sitation since none of us die."

"Why fight humans?" White pipped up. "I mean, Reapers and Demons are much stronger. If it's rivalry, I'd look towards rank 9 or 10 demons. A Medium should be able to handle one of those with help." He scratched the back of his head, thinking a little. "Fighting mediums is harder unless we separated you from your body. Since we exist on a different plane of existence, we cannot directly interact with you unless you exist on that plane as well. I mean, you'd get a better fight, even out of a substitute Reaper like me."

((Ahahaahahah this is so late, sorry about that. Got swept up in art shenanigans))

Earth was so very strange.

At least that's what Sondyr thought. Of course, he would have probably thought the same thing if he had ended up anywhere else as well; new places tended to strike him as odd. But in any case there was definitely lots to see and do on this strange strange planet. Namely he'd taken to people watching, just sitting around in the open and watching humans go about their lives.

Humans were weird too. So very painfully oblivious to any danger that lay before their eyes. Maybe it was because they only used their eyes to judge their surroundings... or maybe they were just stupid?

Why in the world the young demon was even bothering to wonder about that no one could answer, but he was. He didn't seem to get tired of his new hobby either, sitting on a bench, swinging his legs and watching it all in curiosity. Such a weird kid.

"Er... Can you try not to give him ideas?" Blaise asked his reaper hesitantly when he saw a bloodthirsty grin spread across his brother's face. However, there was a bit of annoyance as well. Probably due to the fact that White had grouped him, implicitly, with the other 'weaklings'. And, while Skylar might not be as strong as a demon or reaper, to them mediums, he was already on a whole other level. Blaise might have been a fighter, and a dang good one at that, but he had become a pacifist in recent years and probably wasn't as strong as he used to be while on the streets. Louder, he added, "It's probably because we're siblings. Sibling rivalries are rather common, anyways, since siblings live in the same household and all."

White shrugged and opened his mouth to reply when he began to beep. Other beeping noises began to chorus around the room as well as all of the Reapers recieved a notification from their home. White quickly fumbled around inside his large sleeves before producing a moderately large rod adorned with strange signs. It was the standard communicator for Reapers on the human plane and issued to all of them. It was customizable, of course, but White had no time to change its form into something else more convenient. He held the rod to his ear and listened to the screeching noises coming from it, his face paling slightly. As soon as it was done screeching, the rod folded up into a much smaller tube that could easily be fit inside of the palm of his hand. "The Council of Reapers has just reported several high-class demons have gone missing and cannot be found in the Demon Plane. It is safe to assume that they have crossed into the human plane. At least one rank 1 demon is among their masses, as well as many demons below rank 5."

Watinen's watch didn't stop beeping even after the others' devices had. As a class-X reaper, he was special. He was violent. Class-X was labled so far from the other used letters for a reason; Watinen and other Class-X reapers were rogue, and sought after as mercanaries. From the inside of his coat he produced a sickle, which morphed itself into a massive scythe as soon as it was pulled out. Lucy, we must be going immeadately. As he studied his watch, he paled. No, everyone must. Today we will have a combat test. A class-three Demon has been spotted on a rampage. I'm afraid we can't dwadle any longer, there's already a death count of roughly fifty. The weapon in his hands was clutched by long, bony fingers covered in rings. Only when in front of other reapers was it evident how different Watinen was. He was covered in piercings, the largest ones in his massive ears a a pair of ribs. It looked as if he had simply snapped off a single row of ribs- vertabrae and all- and slid it through a hole in his ears. Not only that, but he carried weapons other than just his scythe. Indeed, he was an odd case.

---

Although he avoided the gazes of the others in the dark, Dwilian had his abilities cranked up to full-power. As soon as either Eurus or Luul got close, he would blast a repulsive aura. It was a fear response, and a rather powerful one. I-I'm no use to y-you. Pl-please, just let me leave. If he wanted, he could easily become a whistleblower. Get involved, and then tip off reapers to save his own hide. It was a cowardly thing, but it would keep him safe. At least, for a while. Working with a powerful demon wasnmt his forte.

Annie listened to Watinen's report with curiosity and worry. "A combat test? What about those that don't know how to fight - or use their abilities?" She asked, her brow furrowed. She had never been in a real fight before, she had always been the peacemaker. She wasn't sure why, exactly, as she would probably enjoy a good fight as much as anyone else, but for some reason Annie's arrival tended to break up fights instead of fighting them. It was like she had a calming aura or something.

"Class three?" White replied, obviously concerned. He looked around at the present Reapers and Mediums then shook his head. There clearly weren't enough of them to handle that kind of threat! These were fledgling Mediums and they were doing battle on the Mortal Plane. It would kill them if they made even one mistake! "That's suicide," he finally said, looking back at Watiten. "These Mediums can't deal with that level of threat yet. Why isn't there backup from the Council on something that big?"

Eurus had enough. Keeping both eyes fixed on the female, he sighed then suddenly made a fluid gesture with his hand. Wind whipped about and threw Luul to the side, smashing her against a nearby wall. He couldn't do this. He hadn't fought for ages but it was better than the alternative. He didn't know what rank of demon this was but with his experience, he was almost positive he could do something.

"Dwilian, leave!" He quickly ordered, not wanted him to get caught up in the fight. Luul sighed as she stood up slow, acting as if nothing happened.

"You know, I gave you a chance there," Luul said with a sigh. "But now I'll have to kill you. I've got an image to uphold and I can't deal with insubordination."