jumpsnake

Random Releases Returning- suggestions

Now there is a feeling of challenge, of strategy. Is there a release this week or no, if I breed now will they be hatched by the time things are released.

Yeah, my strategy is "don't breed the last couple days before any weekend" and "don't get hatchie-locked on Friday or Saturday". It makes me LESS active than I could be previously. And it's not a challenge for me; it's just an annoyance. It's not worth my stress anymore (I used to get stressed about it but just don't have that kind of emotional energy to spend these days), but it certainly doesn't increase the 'fun' quotient.

I think having the drops random is more fun,  yes it can be more stressful as well, but the 1pm drop caused me more stress than the randomness of it because of the extra lag and more people catching so less dragons to go around.

I always find this odd, because the times I actually stayed up to catch at midnight (something I'm getting way too old for, let me tell you), the lag was so atrociously bad that I didn't even know why I bothered. I decided it wasn't worth it and have never had trouble with lag in the afternoon. Different connections treat different people differently... tongue.gif

Yes I would like to see the new eggs drop longer with no other mixed in, like 24 hrs would be great. And it's one reason doing it at midnight would be better, because if you did that and had it 24 hrs for the drop it would be all day.  And every one would have a chance to grab them.

Yes! THIS I can agree with! I wouldn't care if the drops were at midnight if they were all 24-hour drops. I really wish TJ could/would amend his mechanism to allow for full drops for the first 24 hours of an egg's existence without affecting the ratios for the rest of the year.

I think having the drops random is more fun, yes it can be more stressful as well, but the 1pm drop caused me more stress than the randomness of it because of the extra lag and more people catching so less dragons to go around.

But TJ has said that the more people online, the more eggs are generated...so how is that less dragons to go around? It means there are, overall, MORE dragons. That actually might be part of why the Pyralspites had such a short time before petering out and not many got one, because there WEREN'T as many people online so not as many were generated. Just a theory, it might not be true though.

But TJ has said that the more people online, the more eggs are generated...so how is that less dragons to go around? It means there are, overall, MORE dragons. That actually might be part of why the Pyralspites had such a short time before petering out and not many got one, because there WEREN'T as many people online so not as many were generated. Just a theory, it might not be true though.

^^ This.

Furthermore, I much prefer the releases at 1pm on Saturday, I believe that's more convenient for people on different time zones. Starting at Saturday midnight cave time would mean, for example, starting on Sunday morning for other time zones so they wouldn't have 24 hours anyway: on Monday morning many people go to work or school.

For what concerns lag, actually I experienced quite more when the releases were at midnight.

Not exactly. After all, when new eggs are generated, the ratios are being taken into account.

So, if there's hardly anyone there for the first drop, the second one will (probably) still have 100% of the new eggs - even if they're supposed to be as rare as metallics.

If there's hardly anyone there for the first day (due to site maintenance/crashes/lagmonster attacks), the cave will generate nearly 100% of the new eggs on day 2 - even if they're as rare as they can be. And so on.

See that's how I was feeling with the stagnant, every month at the same time, with the same amount of dragons being given to us... it made it so you couldn't breed the first week of the month, you couldn't do anything except sit and wait for sat.

And now I get to feel like that 100% of the month prior to the release happening. Sure, that's so much better.

Sorry, I don't derive joy from knowing that any time I finally get that hard-to-find egg that I've been trying months for I might have to make the decision between dropping it and praying I don't spent another 8 months trying to find it... Or not grabbing a new release egg and praying I don't have to spend a year or more trying to get one because they turned out to be rares. Especially since my current scroll goals include going for eggs dated on the release day.

So now I get to spend the entire month up until the release not breeding and sitting and waiting. Sure, I wasn't doing as much due to time constraints, but I was planning to get back into more active playing. Except now why should I bother? I see no reason to increase the time I spend on DC again.

Now there is a feeling of challenge, of strategy.  Is there a release this week or no, if I breed now will they be hatched by the time things are released.

Except, as has been pointed out, you cannot 100% count on them being on weekends. Which means that you might just find yourself censorkip.gif because a weekday release happened. Which means you can't actually plan or have a strategy.

It puts a lot of fun that DC had when it first came out back into the game.  It makes catching dragons A GAME rather than giving you every thing with no need to actually play the game, just show up the 1st week of the month and you are set.  Too many adoptable sites are like that and it gets really boring, because they just give you every thing... there is no strategy behind it.

You may get a lot of enjoyment out of risking being screwed over with every choice you make, but this makes DC stressful for many people like myself, NOT fun. Boring I can deal with. Stressful is an excellent way to make me say "screw this game, I'm gonna stop playing and warn everybody who might be interested away from it".

You actually were never 100% for sure set if you just showed up on release date. Plenty of times people couldn't get online for it, or they weren't lucky enough to get the eggs right around when the release started. Since, y'know, they start mixing in with other eggs too damn quickly (the 24 hours I can agree on--though even longer is better, IMO). LOTS of people were still unable to get the eggs. That's hardly having it handed to you.

Again, though--I don't play DC because I like having to work really hard to achieve my goals. I play DC because it's a simple, easy game with little demand for energy or attention and I can play at my own pace. I'm not magically handed everything, but I don't have to put in a ton of time planning and working hard to ensure that I'm not screwed over, either.