jumpsnake

Random Releases Returning- suggestions

A random release is just a slap in the face for those of us who work really. I like collecting dragons, thats the fun of this game, and really I want to participate with everyone else in getting it the first day, and I do not believe it is user conscious to make it random, evenif the drop lasts three days. Some people are busy for more than three days, some people are busy for weeks, a three day drop wont change much unless in game alerts are made that literally screams at your face in the game that there is a drop happening now.

Yep. This right here. It's a collecting game. Not a guessing game.

My work schedule is erratic. Sometimes I work weekends. I was working during this latest release, but I knew it was happening so I hopped on as soon as I got home and was glad to be able to get the new eggs. DC is not normally my priority immediately upon arriving home from work, and it shouldn't have to be.

At the very least, having them announced well in advance (like the suggestions in this thread have been saying) would be nice.

That's why random releases is prolly gonna create a rift for some of the users. Those who enjoy the collection aspect who can no longer collect on time like everyone else that has almost nothing to do but sit at their computers. Like me. I work, I have school, have a family, I sometimes leave for a week or two weeks straight because I am so busy. An scheduled release at least allows me to set aside 10 min out of my day to try and get that new egg.

A random release is just a slap in the face for those of us who work really. I like collecting dragons, thats the fun of this game, and really I want to participate with everyone else in getting it the first day, and I do not believe it is user conscious to make it random, evenif the drop lasts three days. Some people are busy for more than three days, some people are busy for weeks, a three day drop wont change much unless in game alerts are made that literally screams at your face in the game that there is a drop happening now.

Except that DC has been like this since its inception... It used to be that you didn't even know if there was going to be a release, let alone once a month and probably on weekends!

Honestly, I get that people are upset, but it's not a slap in the face that TJ is changing things up a bit. He's not doing it maliciously, and I am sure that he has his reasons. People need to remember that this is really only a *very* recent change in terms of DC's history.

And I say this as someone who does work so I know perfectly well what it's like. I understand that it's a game and it's not going to be catered to my specific wants.

It feels like one. It might have been like that in the beginning because like most games they are aimed towards children. But changes where made to accommodate all the ages. Now we want to go back to random so that only the ones with more time no their hands than they know what to do with get a chance at something nice and new and the rest of us can go dig around and hope we get them later down the line if their common/uncommon and pray to the DC gods that something rare just happens to remain untouched long enough for us to grab. But of course it wont matter to everyone else because they got their nice new shiny on the day it was released so those of us with jobs, kids, college, and lives can go play else where right?

Its not out of malice, but if feels like a "go screw your self" for those of us who enjoy the game for its collecting aspect. We don't all have time to sit for hours on end at the cave refreshing to hope at a glimpse of something nice. and even if we do not everyone has that $60 internet connection that load your pages in less than a second for you to grab all the shinies we'd like.

TJ works himself, you know. I highly, highly doubt that he made this change to screw over working adults. I do not know his reasons but considering that adults are the ones most likely to be able to buy ad-blocking subscriptions and donate to the site, I doubt that offending working users was high on his priority list... I mean, he can and no doubt will speak for himself, I'm just surprised that anyone would think that a man who wants to make money from DC eventually would make changes to deliberately spite certain users.

Just an alternative POV. Don't get me wrong, I liked knowing when releases would happen and I certainly preferred it when they were launched at 9pm for me as opposed to the mid-day releases that have happened recently (as it is I came on two days after the Undines launched because I forgot!) But it's a game and I know most games are subject to change, etc.

Edited by kerrikins

I never said it was to screw working adults over or even working teens or young adults. I'm sure TJ works as well. I never said "TJ is doing this specifically to screw us all over. I said it feels like a slap to the face or a 'go screw your self' which in turn means it is not exactly that but it very much feels like that is the action being taken.

Just like when someone says something and don't intend to be rude but it feels like it anyways? Yeah just like that. Hopefully now you will stop seeing my "It feels like" sentences as "It is this way".

Back on topic, it feels like Those of us who have to be away for days at a time are not taken into account. Yes you work, that's nice. I'm sure you still have quite a decent amount of time within your day to sit and click and hunt. I Don't get that luxury. I sometimes work until midnight, I break my back going back and forth, and at the end of the day the only reason I get on my laptop is to skype my ldr boyfriend. I don't think about clicking or hunting. I am too tired and sometimes for days on end, so for those uf us who don't always have the time or energy, knowing when to set some time aside regardless of how tired we are would be nice.

So wait we are going straight back into the old release style where it could be months before we get a new dragon or do we still get a new dragon or two per month just the release times are now random?

I also support the suggestion made by Wiz. It would be nice to have a bunch of dragons dropped around the start of a new season. That way all the ones that have been forever stuck on the completed list will finally see the light of day.

In Ye Olden Days (and even I was here in Ye Moderately Old Days) there were MANY MANY fewer players to grab everything.

So wait we are going straight back into the old release style where it could be months before we get a new dragon or do we still get a new dragon or two per month just the release times are now random?

Still monthly releases, "most likely" on weekends, just not pre-announced.

Still monthly releases, "most likely" on weekends, just not pre-announced.

Oh okay. Not so much a worry then.

I already said this in the new release topic, but I don't think being scroll locked the exact day of the random release day will be that big of in issue.

Why? Because new eggs are easy to catch days later, and some times it's even easier than during the release day (yesterday it took me almost half an hour to get my first egg, today I got one as soon as I went to the Alps and I'm sure in a few day there'll even be some new CB eggs in the AP).

The only exception for that is if the eggs are rare, but when that's it's the case the initial drop is shorter and it gets mixed with other eggs rather fast, but most normal monthly* releases are of non-rare eggs.

That's why I don't think it's really necessary to get "a hint" on any other kind of forewarning, since it's possible to get the new eggs any other day we have time to get them.

*I'm assuming special releases will be scheduled like always, though.

I hate the idea of abandoning eggs from a project I'm working on, or others I've caught to complete a list, to go get new eggs. I also hate the thought of holding onto those eggs while the new ones fly by for days before I can do anything about it.

I would miss out on most drops anyway if it were changed due to a busy life and commitments.

I would have to agree that if the game is stale now (which I don't think it is) that the commons should be the random releases while any rare releases give us plenty of advance warning to clear out our scrolls and be ready for it.

I will live in fear now of ever breeding or grabbing anything once a new month comes around, having nothing to do here since I will want my scroll completely open for any new releases. This means I can't work on lineage projects or even trying to complete any lists. There I must sit. Period. Waiting and watching. That isn't fun. Talk about stale.

Why would you need to keep your scroll completely open?

We asked for more than 4 egg slots because we would totally pick up more commons and clear out the AP if we had more slots, but with only four, we didn't have enough room, what with our breeding projects and all.

Now a gold trophy gets us 7 slots, but there's still no room? We have to grab 7 eggs on the first day or we might as well not play at all? We can't just, say, leave 2 slots open in case of an unannounced drop (or passing Gold)?

We asked for more than 4 egg slots because we would totally pick up more commons and clear out the AP if we had more slots, but with only four, we didn't have enough room, what with our breeding projects and all.

Now a gold trophy gets us 7 slots, but there's still no room? We have to grab 7 eggs on the first day or we might as well not play at all? We can't just, say, leave 2 slots open in case of an unannounced drop (or passing Gold)?

That's just how I play. I'm supposed to change how I play? Besides, I probably wouldn't be here to be able to catch anything anyway.

That's just how I play. I'm supposed to change how I play? Besides, I probably wouldn't be here to be able to catch anything anyway.

Actually, it would probably be easier to catch things because not everyone would be poised to jump on the release right away, so you would have less competition.

And as far as changing your play style, you are proposing to change your playstyle even more by abandoning breeding and catching things just to sit around and wait for a release?

I will live in fear now of ever breeding or grabbing anything once a new month comes around, having nothing to do here since I will want my scroll completely open for any new releases. This means I can't work on lineage projects or even trying to complete any lists. There I must sit. Period. Waiting and watching. That isn't fun. Talk about stale.

I remember well (it really hasn't been that long) when releases were random. I never ever abandoned an egg in order to grab new ones. I try to stagger the times of the eggs on my scroll anyway, just so I always have something to do with my scroll. So it was never more than a day before I could catch at least one or two. And I never had trouble catching my scroll goals of 4 males and 4 females. Some, like Blusang and GW took a bit longer, but it was always possible. The one that has given me the most trouble is the Copper and that was an announced drop.

I am not particularly in favor of random drops, but they can be dealt with without radical change in your play style.

Some have the OCD of filling your scroll with as many new eggs you are allowed to because that is the most blood to breed once it al dies down. It also benefits lineage creators since if one refuses you have 3-6 more to breed from. Its also part of the game. You collect. and you dont just collect one of each... you collecte tens, hundreds, thousands of each if you can because that is how collections work. You don't just collect one pretty shell, you try to collect them all.

I hate the idea of abandoning eggs from a project I'm working on, or others I've caught to complete a list, to go get new eggs. I also hate the thought of holding onto those eggs while the new ones fly by for days before I can do anything about it.

I would miss out on most drops anyway if it were changed due to a busy life and commitments.

I would have to agree that if the game is stale now (which I don't think it is) that the commons should be the random releases while any rare releases give us plenty of advance warning to clear out our scrolls and be ready for it.

This, this, so much this. This is exactly how I feel. The stuff in bold is exactly what I suggested, and I don't see why people think its a bad idea. If you at least wont give us a warning for the good stuff then go back to ALL Schduled drops because some of us have stuf to do and can't sit at our computer like it seems more than half of the rest of DC can.

Think of everyone when you try to make a change like this than the majority which is probably people who have nothing better to do than to sit at DC most if not all day and can bug about releases being stale. I don't see how planned releases so people can prepare are stale. You want stale? Only those that can sit at their computers for most ifnot all of the day can get any new release and the rest of us get to miss out because we have tons of things to do. That is stale.

Edited by AnanoKimi

You want stale? Only those that can sit at their computers for most ifnot all of the day can get any new release and the rest of us get to miss out because we have tons of things to do. That is stale.

And yet, the "busy" people who complain are able to take time for a scheduled release, how can they do that, I wonder? biggrin.gif I cannot remember the last time when I was online and waiting for the start of a release?! (oops, living in Japan and so on...)

(Also, something else I have to mention and I mean it because I've seen it a few times on this forum: I dislike the careless way of bringing up serious disorders. You - generally speaking - do not have OCD unless a professional diagnosed you with it.)

And yet, the "busy" people who complain are able to take time for a scheduled release, how can they do that, I wonder? biggrin.gif  I cannot remember the last time when I was online and waiting for the start of a release?! (oops, living in Japan and so on...)

(Also, something else I have to mention and I mean it because I've seen it a few times on this forum: I dislike the careless way of bringing up serious disorders. You - generally speaking - do not have OCD unless a professional diagnosed you with it.)

Its called planning. Even if we cant sit for the start of the release, we can plan to use maybe 5-10 minutes before work or before errands to try and get a few eggs.

Its the same when you have a busy schedule and your friends suddenly invite you to some event you would really like to go but they asked you while you are at work and cant go. They have nothing better to do and can go when they want but you have errands, plans, kids, school, etc and cant just toss that aside. Now if they told you a week or two in advance, you can rearrange said errand for the day after since its not that important and make time for the event.

Same with this release. If the release is on the 20th of august and I have an important errand in the morning after I wake up. While I dress maybe I can take 5 minutes to try and catch at least 2 eggs before I go.

Planned releases allow us busy people to plan ahead. Its such an amazing concept to be able to know when something is going to happen ahead of time and be able to adjust your schedule accordingly. Employers do that when people ask for days off. Thus why they ask for you to request a day off two weeks in advance so they can adjust your schedule and everyone elses accordingly so that they are not lacking people during your leave. Its called Scheduling or Planning. You take all your errands and other important things, set them down and arrange them in a way that allows you to get everything done in time and smoothly without stressing you out.

This is why planned schedules are important. Some of us need to be able to say "Ok well release day is this day and I have x and y thing to do, but there's an hour between x and y so maybe I can take that time to try and hunt for an egg."

Also I'm ADD and it is extremely obvious even if a doctor hasn't diagnosed it, Just like depression can be extremely apparent even if not medically diagnosed, just like people can have a cold without medically being diagnosed. Not everything has to be medically diagnosed to be there.

Saying that means that you are healthy and suffer of absolutely nothing and cannot claim to have it unless you have a doctors note that you can screenshot and post saying you have OCD, or ADD, or a bruised muscle, or some sort f phobia.

I am Mildly OCD, I am ADD, and I have mild claustrophobia. I don't need a doctor to tell me I have mild claustrophobia when Small spaces like small closets, hallways, and elevators make me tremble and hyperventilate. Thank you.

Edited by AnanoKimi

And yet, the "busy" people who complain are able to take time for a scheduled release, how can they do that, I wonder? biggrin.gif I cannot remember the last time when I was online and waiting for the start of a release?! (oops, living in Japan and so on...)

Oops, living in the same time zone and only able to catch eggs in that time frame because it releases at 2 am and I planned ahead, set the alarm, and then got up to catch it. Oops my mistake, I should have obviously just let things randomly pass and wake up and get it. Oops.

A lot of us living in GMT+8 (I suppose that's where our region falls into although I am not sure) could only catch because it was planned. You just need to be diligent. However I hardly think that I can now get up every single weekend at 2 am just to check in case if there is a release, now can i.

I'm quite "on the fence" about the subject.

From a personal point of view I don't mind if a release isn't announced since:

1) I consider unimportant to have eggs caught on the 1st day of the release,

2) thanks to a fast connection and decent reflexes, I can always catch new release eggs later

3) anyway, usually, I wait until I see the adult sprite, just in case I don't like it.

At the same time, I sympathize with the people that (because of slow connections or other issues) are concerned that their only chance to catch new releases is on the release date or within 24 hours. Furthermore, from a selfish point of view, the announced release is better since the days before the releaseand right after present great opportunities to catch the rares I collect since many will not be catching to keep their slots available and, afterwards, having the same slots full of new eggs tongue.gif

All things considered, I'm assuming that random releases would be perfectly acceptable if they were announced a bit before they happen, maybe around 48 hours earlier.

Also I'm ADD and it is extremely obvious even if a doctor hasn't diagnosed it, Just like depression can be extremely apparent even if not medically diagnosed, just like people can have a cold without medically being diagnosed. Not everything has to be medically diagnosed to be there.

Saying that means that you are healthy and suffer of absolutely nothing and cannot claim to have it unless you have a doctors note that you can screenshot and post saying you have OCD, or ADD, or a bruised muscle, or some sort f phobia.

I am Mildly OCD, I am ADD, and I have mild claustrophobia. I don't need a doctor to tell me I have mild claustrophobia when Small spaces like small closets, hallways, and elevators make me tremble and hyperventilate. Thank you.

And if you think "filling your scroll with as many new eggs you are allowed to because that is the most blood to breed once it al dies down" is OCD, you need to think again. (Here's a related essay on the subject.) Maybe you do have mild OCD. But saying stuff like filling a scroll is OCD trivializes OCD -which, maybe you don't care about, but others do, and it's important- and, more on topic, I think it gives people who disagree with your random-release-related position ammunition to think you're exaggerating and to dismiss your points because of it.

Honestly, I don't see a need for release announcements. I only check in on the forum sporadically, so by the time I see there's a release it's usually at least a day after the release itself and I've still never had trouble loading up on new eggs.

For example, I didn't find out about the August release until two days after it happened and I was still able to catch 4 of the new eggs for myself in less than half an hour. Sure, they weren't as plentiful as I'm sure they were when the release first happened, but they weren't scarce by any means. I see the dragons from the July release in the cave all the time too and even picked up a couple by accident when I was trying to get the August eggs.

So I'd much rather go back to random releases because I find it more fun to be surprised.

And if you think "filling your scroll with as many new eggs you are allowed to because that is the most blood to breed once it al dies down" is OCD, you need to think again. (Here's a related essay on the subject.) Maybe you do have mild OCD. But saying stuff like filling a scroll is OCD trivializes OCD -which, maybe you don't care about, but others do, and it's important- and, more on topic, I think it gives people who disagree with your random-release-related position ammunition to think you're exaggerating and to dismiss your points because of it.

I did add more examples such as more blood, the simple fact that you have the avialable space and as such some just feel the need to fill it, and others in terms of refusals. OCD is the compulsive need to have something a certain way whether it follows logic or not. Such as the need to color divide fruit, the need to always leave at a specitic time, or having thing be in an odd/even number all the time (I am actuualy quite unnerved if the thing I own are not in even numbers at times but its a battle between noticing and/or keeping track due to my ADD as well.)

For some having to fill all 7 slots during a release is a mild OCD thing whether it be for breeding or not. I know I am one of those though it really irks me that we stopped at 7. 6 or 8 would be perfectly fine with me but 7 just really bothers me... I think I already explained why. Bringing it up is of no use so I simply bear past it and the pretty pixel dragons distract me plenty and I try to focus on that more than anything.

What bothered me was that according to the user I quoted, it is not right to use a term such as OCD to deescribe your actions or the actions of others unless it was medically proven that you or whomever you where reffering to as a whole where medically diagnosed as OCD. I don't see why needint to be medically diagnosed with OCD makes a difference though, then again that is just me.

back on the subject, Planned releases allow users to as such plan ahead, make the time, and not feel cheated out to some extent when they miss out. If you missed out but knew that whatever you plan for that day was more important than pixelated dragons, then you can settle for catching them after release. But seeing that a release was made on x day, you missed it by two or three when you could have very well set aside at least 5 minutes to try and catch it leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth that no one likes.

What bothered me was that according to the user I quoted, it is not right to use a term such as OCD to deescribe your actions or the actions of others unless it was medically proven that you or whomever you where reffering to as a whole where medically diagnosed as OCD. I don't see why needint to be medically diagnosed with OCD makes a difference though, then again that is just me.

Maybe it IS just you - but I'm with them. OCD is a specific and unpleasant condition and OCD should not be used as a passing adjective for people who just want to say they like things precise. I woudl otherwise say that's why I'd like to have 8 egg slots for tidiness purposes....

Why people like to get the new releases on the day - think blusang; think copper....

I liked the scheduled releases lol. I'm one of those busy, employed types who actually has a job and can't access dragon cave from my work computer =P The best i have to do is get my phone on a break and try via my phone, and then try again when i get home that evening

But if i didn't know about the release? Well, I've got a decent internet connection...but that does not help me at all with cave hunting. Perhaps I just have slow reflexes, but I've got little luck when it comes to hunting the cave. If i miss the release, and it's uncommon/rare, I more than likely will never see that egg in the cave again

For example...I filled up on 2 of each kind of copper during their release. Now? Since that release, I have not even SEEN a copper in the Cave. Blusang? Same story. I got six, three of each gender. Haven't seen one since then.

So yea, I can imagine that I'm going to definitely be missing eggs and unable to catch them if I miss the first day of release [heck, if i miss the first few HOURS, with how quickly the normal eggs mix in]. Best I can do is use the sole valuable dragon i have, a 2nd gen prize, and trade for new eggs every week...so i'm better off than some in that respect, but it'd still be a lot more stress free and enjoyable to just catch them myself

I also don't like those that say it's part of the challenge, and real life isn't fair XP Life isn't fair, but why does a game have to be unfair? A game is not life. A game is something you do to relax, have fun, or whatever. I might not stress out as much and pull my hair out over missing a release, but i'm definitely not going to be happy.

If i start missing too many releases, and fall way behind, the game might just become un-enjoyable enough that i won't play anymore *shrug* no reason to play a game that's more work than play, imo =P THat's my opinion of course, but i'm not going to play a game that just makes me frustrated xd.png so we'll see how it goes with the return to random releases. i'm trying to be optimistic

OCD is the compulsive need to have something a certain way whether it follows logic or not. Such as the need to color divide fruit, the need to always leave at a specitic time, or having thing be in an odd/even number all the time
No. Please see pages 7 and 8 in this book by a psychotherapist.

---

I really think there could be a way that announcements about releases could be in a specific section - or maybe just the calendar, with no threads about it - so that people who want to be surprised could avoid the information but people who want the information could have it. It could be made clear that we're not allowed to talk about it other places... do people think something like that could work, or that there would be talk about it anyway?