octopi

Pi does scribbles

HELLO SORRY FOR LATE REPLY ok on the subject of Cubone: I know a lot of other people like it but I feel like its entire existence is just a bad Pokemon OC. MY TRAGIC BACKSTORY IS THAT MY MOTHER DIED AND NOW I WEAR HER SKULL AS A TRAGIC KEEPSAKE AND WILL EVENTUALLY EVOLVE INTO A MASKED VIGILANTE WAH

I'm sorry I have a sketch down and everything but it's super generic and themeless. I'll see if I can think of anything I guess and I'll post it later along with some other things. (Does anyone want to see me and Friend I Keep Mentioning's sea creature themed Madoka OC team)

Meanwhile: have a thing.

Could you make a Ferrothorn magical girl, or a diancie one? Your sketches look really pretty, I particularly like the limbs. The style is really neat and pretty cute, in my opinion.

Have you ever considered doing them in different poses?

Hhhaha yes I have I actually do so a lot it's just that. 1. Foreshortening is hard and I am lazy and unmotivated (I swear I'm working on it though) and 2. when I'm designing stuff I try to go for the generic pose first so I can see all the details.

...Dang, Ferrothorn. Yeah I will definitely attempt Ferrothorn. Honestly I'm afraid of looking up Ferrothorn gijinkas for inspiration at this point because I'd bet money that I'd find a ridiculously skinny girl with giant boobs on the first page. Also: going to attempt Jellicents, because I obviously don't have enough duos already. Stay tuned peeps

Presenting: bad photo of a bad drawing. No matter what I tried Cubone just came out as a tiny arrancar. I'm gomen. This is not something I can fix

For Ferrothorn I'm torn between doing a cute knight with dual maces and a cute martial arts-type girl with Garnet(Steven Universe)-style giant spiky gauntlets. What do. And look out for: Jellicent duo, owners of a fancy restaurant that has quickly cornered the market after a series of mysterious disappearances.

HELLO SORRY FOR LATE REPLY ok on the subject of Cubone: I know a lot of other people like it but I feel like its entire existence is just a bad Pokemon OC. MY TRAGIC BACKSTORY IS THAT MY MOTHER DIED AND NOW I WEAR HER SKULL AS A TRAGIC KEEPSAKE AND WILL EVENTUALLY EVOLVE INTO A MASKED VIGILANTE WAH

I'm sorry I have a sketch down and everything but it's super generic and themeless. I'll see if I can think of anything I guess and I'll post it later along with some other things. (Does anyone want to see me and Friend I Keep Mentioning's sea creature themed Madoka OC team)

Meanwhile: have a thing.

I dunno, I don't think they played up the "tragic" aspect enough to make it reminiscent of a bad OC. It's a personal thing, I know, but I've always liked Cubone. I think they're badass. I see it more as: OH GOD MY MOM DIED WHAT DO I DO THERE'S A MONSTER COMING. OKAY I'LL HIT IT WITH THIS BONE. COOL. LOOK MY MOM'S OLD HEAD FITS ON MINE. COOL.

Also, the fact that they might be baby Kangaskhans without their moms is a neat concept.

Anyway.

Presenting: bad photo of a bad drawing. No matter what I tried Cubone just came out as a tiny arrancar. I'm gomen. This is not something I can fix

W/e, that's fine. I like it anyway.

And today on: Pi continues to use various fandoms as excuses to draw themselves in cute outfits (aka quick 1 am doodle of my gemsona, Ammolite, because I have lost control of my life)

I actually have Ferrothorn designed and everything, I just can't get her to look good enough. Sorry about the holdup but hey I literally have eight hours of extra classes a week and homework for all of that on top of school I THINK I get to have this.

Boop. Okay I had this done for, like, a week. I'm sorry. I don't have an excuse. She can stick her gauntlet spikes into walls and climb them and has a thing for spies and stealth missions, although she's usually too loud to pull them off very effectively. But she can also slug people in the face with those spikes, so it doesn't really matter if she's discovered.

Boop. Okay I had this done for, like, a week. I'm sorry. I don't have an excuse. She can stick her gauntlet spikes into walls and climb them and has a thing for spies and stealth missions, although she's usually too loud to pull them off very effectively. But she can also slug people in the face with those spikes, so it doesn't really matter if she's discovered.

Oh wow, that's so great. SO GREAT. I love it, thanks Pi. The idea behind it is neat, too.

Ahhhhhh thank you u///////u

Sorry for the late reply, I try not to post much here unless I have something to contribute. But

[11:06:40 PM] Molly Li: mega glalie/probopass/male jellicent

[11:06:43 PM] Molly Li: mustache gang

[11:06:49 PM] Brian Forbes: stachesquad

[11:07:02 PM] Molly Li: the rivals to fairy fluff have appeared

Fairy Fluff is Whimsicott/Mega Altaria/Slurpuff, for reference. I am totally obligated to draw this territory showdown with everyone as magical girls now. Stay tuned folks

Update: Brian wants to fight me over which gang is better. Are you kidding me. Fairy supremacy 5ever. Stay tuned for that too

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

user posted image

Another one of these! Cherrim is a cheerful cute lil witch who suffers from really bad Seasonal Affective Disorder even when off-duty. In sunshine form she fires SolarBeam lasers from her broom flower and is generally the cutest badass ever.

Edit: Ok so I've been dithering about this for months, but it's (probably) official now: I'm running the Pokemon Magical Girl Thing as a roleplay. I'll post it in Unapproved once it's mostly done! If you're interested in that kind of thing please check it out when it happens!!

Ooh, nice! And adorable! The little witch hat is the perfect touch. And the expression in the sad one. Great work!

Have you ever considered colouring your work?

Also, may I make another request?

Thank you omg u////u I did overcast Cherrim first and ended up turning the stem into a witch hat because hey it works and then I agonized for an hour over how to incorporate the witch hat and cape into sunshine Cherrim ahahah

As for the questions: I have tried colouring in the past. It hasn't worked out very well. I suppose that's no excuse for me to not try again, but 1. I'm really busy with school and I'm still taking like six hours of extracurricular classes a week, and 2. I'm first and foremost a designer and worldbuilder, and my art is a means to that end. As long as my art makes my designs legible to me and other people I'm cool with that. If anything I want to work on improving my designs first!! That probably isn't the best way to look at things, but this is a hobby and if even my side hobbies end up making me more stressed then idk what I'm gonna do u~u

And yes, requests are open, but only for more magical girl designs! Request away, I need things to distract me from the horrors of real life.

Edit: also have sloppily drawn Yveltal and Avalugg, because Adam is an ass and picked 717 and 712 when I asked him for random numbers between 1 and 718. Yveltal I'll never touch again, but Avalugg is like... the kind of person who would laugh really loudly at your jokes and then slap you on the back, knocking you into the ground and probably dislocating something. (What am I doing making everyone so sympathetic I need evil NPCs ugh)

Ah, I see. These are so cute, I thought colours would really bring them to life. Although, the skecthy, light style they're drawn in does clash with colours, especially vibrant ones.

Yay, do you mind doing a Liepard, Gourgheist, or Trevenant Magical Girl?

Oh cool! They're both really nice, but don't seem to bear much resemblance to the pokemon they're based on?

Aw, really? Yveltal I won't defend, but Avalugg is really far from humanoid and I thought I was pretty clever incorporating the triangular overall shape into the dress...u~u The arm warmer things and the inner dress layer are supposed to invoke Avalugg's legs if that kinda helps? And the hairclips are Avalugg's ear-things. I'm not sure what I was going for, for the boots, but they kinda seemed to fit.

Ooooooh man I've actually been wanting to do Gourgeist sisters (one for each size)!! And Trevenant has a killer design although I'm pretty sure that one shiny Trevenant gijinka I saw once trumps anything I could ever hope to do. I'll try them and see what comes out.

Huh, I actually didn't notice the triangular dress thing until you pointed it out. It is a pretty cool touch, really subtle- it requires a bit of attention to notice (which I obviously didn't have).

And yay, thanks! The Gourgheist sisters thing sounds really cool as a concept! Will there be the new Ultra one?

user posted image

Preliminary design sketches, in order from super size to small size. Fun activity: find the pumpkin face/hair tentacles in each of them! Another fun activity: wonder why I took the time and effort to design four completely separate Gourgeist magical girls. Why did I do this. Why.

Normal size actually evolved last despite being older than small and is super insecure because all her sisters are really cool and like??? How is she ever going to be as ridiculously awesome as super size manages to be???? But in reality all her sisters are dorks too and they all love each other and she gets plenty of opportunities to kick ass.

user posted image

November is really busy for me. I'm still getting like a test a week at school and I'm doing math contests and NaNo and trying to run a roleplay. So, obviously, resuming my fakemon project and giving myself more work to do is the best choice I could possibly make. I don't see any way this could possibly go wrong. Yup.

These guys are still nameless, but they're psychic/poison hagfish which secrete slime and psychically manipulate it into limbs! This is actually a weirdly popular fakemon idea considering no one likes real life hagfish except me, but hopefully I've managed to do something different from all those other people.

Ah, hello! Have you read through the thread? I'm only taking magical girl design requests right now, so I can draw you a magical girl Pyroar but otherwise you're out of luck. Regular requests may open again in the future but remember that if you want one of those you're going to have to provide a bit more detail on what exactly you want.

Okay! Sorry for replying late, it turns out my Pokedex app doesn't have a reference for female Pyroar (wtf guys XY came out like... a year ago step up your game). Expect it within the next few days. Probably.

Meanwhile have more fakemon.

user posted image

This is the obligatory beginner's 3-stage bird, based on secretarybirds (which are really cool and you should look them up if you get the chance) and also draw a bit of influence from raptors. The final stage is fighting/flying and it can use punching moves by clobbering people with its feet while keeping balance with its wings.

user posted image

This is an older piece, but I figured since I was doing fakemon anyway I should probably put this up!

This is Syldew (sylph + mildew), my obligatory tiny cute 600 BST legendary based on the least cute thing a lot of people can imagine: slime mold. I took unicellular fungus-like protists and made a princess out of it. Hell yeah I'm proud of this design.

Figured out names for some of my other fakemon too: the hagfish are Myxick (Myxine + ick, also "mystic") and Myxterime (Myxine + grime, also "mysterious") and the unevolved secretarybird is Chirrap (Chiron + raptor + tiny cute bird sounds). Myxine is a genus of hagfish, and Chiron is the mythological centaur that serves as the basis of Sagittarius (which is the secretarybird's genus name, and they're also occasionally referred to as the Devil's Horse).

user posted image

Not incredibly proud of this one but here you are.

Currently working on: a water-type starter. This is unreasonably difficult.

user posted image

Water starters! Still unnamed, water - water - water/ghost.

They're based on moray eels and, to a lesser extent, Chinese dragons and fish skulls. Did you know that, since moray eels lack the proper mouth shape to suck prey into their stomachs like other fish do, they evolved a second pair of jaws inside their mouth that literally shoots out and drags prey into itself? It's true! Look it up sometime it's SO COOL.

The final stage's hidden ability is Jaw Trap - biting moves do 60% of the damage they normally would, but hit twice, with miss/critical/effect chance calculated separately for each hit.

user posted image

Tentative designs for Zippillar, Puplush, and Moffelt! An evolution line based on cute patchwork stuffed animals and lepidoptera, no species in particular. Zippillar and Puplush are Bug; Moffelt is Bug/Fairy. I imagine they'd be squishy with lots of HP for bug Pokemon but not enough defences to really back it up.