Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

Yes but you are responsible for your eggs, not anyone else. If someone places them somewhere else true there is nothing you can do. Or you could simply fog them when you leave the site and unfog them when you get back on... It's what I do, and it makes sense to me the way it currently is.

However, I'm not saying that you should stop with your idea, just because I don't like it. I say run with it, if it goes somewhere then it goes somewhere tongue.gif .

I kind of like sabbita's way better. How about the more adult dragons you have, the more protecton increases? for instance, 15 adults prevents 20% of the veiws coming in too fast, and 50 dragons block 60% (just an example with random #s)

that way experianced players, with more dragons, would still have the advantage.

yes I reilize they could still die from veiws, but it would take longer and give the owner more time to see what's happening and fog the dragon for a bit.

maybe, but I still like the idea of effectiveness being based on the number of dragons you own. This is designed to show that you KNOW how to raise your eggs safely, so someone can't just set an adult to guard an egg then post it on a high traffic site themselves.

maybe, but I still like the idea of effectiveness being based on the number of dragons you own. This is designed to show that you KNOW how to raise your eggs safely, so someone can't just set an adult to guard an egg then post it on a high traffic site themselves.

That's why, with the idea of assigning a single protector to an egg, people are mentioning a limited period where they could do this. Say... a day, after that the dragon needs somewhere between a day and a week to recover. That would still give people with more adults a bonus, since they'd have enough dragons to protect the eggs/hatchlings non-stop, but it would be fairer to people with only a couple adults who want, and can only afford to make sure their eggs are safe during critical periods.

also, for the thing where it makes it too easy for newbs, there are loads of fansites where you add you eggs, click/veiw the eggs on there, and by the 3.5 mark, the eggs are ready to hatch.

It's not hard to get them to hatch, personally I've never had an egg get softshell, or had a egg die, and I'm still pretty new. I do have a few adults, and have breed a few clutches. If you read the forums it's easy to figure out what to do.

I don't think this will help newbs that have no idea, since the idea is to have adult dragons before you do it, so it's use would be by the more experianced people anyway.

That's why, with the idea of assigning a single protector to an egg, people are mentioning a limited period where they could do this. Say... a day, after that the dragon needs somewhere between a day and a week to recover. That would still give people with more adults a bonus, since they'd have enough dragons to protect the eggs/hatchlings non-stop, but it would be fairer to people with only a couple adults who want, and can only afford to make sure their eggs are safe during critical periods.

but still, one dragon, protecting an egg ABSOLUTELY, would be too easy, and I don'tt think TJ would implement it if it was that easy.

Ok, how about this as a compromise? Manually setting a single dragon to guard a particular egg, with time limits, like I've been talking about, but how effective that dragon is at guarding depends on it's age. So having it prevent percentages of views or whatever coming in to stop them from getting sick.

That adds to the advantage for people that have been here longer and have been raising dragons as well, but isn't just based on how many you have, which could be pretty quickly inflated.

but still, one dragon, protecting an egg ABSOLUTELY, would be too easy, and I don'tt think TJ would implement it if it was that easy.

Then perhaps suggest that there's only a 50-75% chance of the dragon successfully protecting the egg. Besides, the higher probability of protection would still be countered by the limited time the dragon could protect the child.

Ok, how about this as a compromise? Manually setting a single dragon to guard a particular egg, with time limits, like I've been talking about, but how effective that dragon is at guarding depends on it's age. So having it prevent percentages of views or whatever coming in to stop them from getting sick.

That adds to the advantage for people that have been here longer and have been raising dragons as well, but isn't just based on how many you have, which could be pretty quickly inflated.

inflated? yes, that's why each individual dragon only provides a small percentage. And age of a dragon is not at all important to how good of a raiser you are, number of dragons is much more effective, the more adults a person has, the better at raising they are, in theory, and the less likely they would be to do something like that intentionally.

inflated? yes, that's why each individual dragon only provides a small percentage. And age of a dragon is not at all important to how good of a raiser you are, number of dragons is much more effective, the more adults a person has, the better at raising they are, in theory, and the less likely they would be to do something like that intentionally.

OK, then the # of dragons you have determines the percentage that they are protected by the individual that is guarding it.

you could bring both age and number in if you wanted, but I still don't like assigning a dragon to an egg. I personally don't think age is a good factor, only because some people can catch on quicker than others, there could be a person who gets it right away, and another who doesn't learn how to play for a couple months.

Sounds neat! I'd love for this to be implemented with too many clicks, as well. That's another way for it to happen. Also, here's some more phrases:

Chicken: You attempt to approach the egg, but you can't seem to find any dragon eggs.

Dino: You attempt to approach the egg, but it is surrounded in spikes. Perhaps its best to leave it alone.

White: You approach the egg, but once you leave, your view has been erased from the egg entirely, healing the wound it was given by your view.

Season/summer: You attempt to approach the egg, but it seems extremely hot... you decide to leave it alone to cool off.

Earth: You attempt to approach the egg, but you can tell before you step that quicksand surrounds it. You can tell that somebody doesn't want it to be seen, so you leave it alone.

Rock: You attempt to approach the egg, but jagged rocks get in your way. You decide to be safe and stay away.

Maybe there can also be descriptions for hatchlings.

Yeesh, I had not even thought of something like that happening.

It appears that it does/has happened-

I personally enjoy the idea that any one of my adults would act out in part of the 'group/clan'

of my stable of dragons. I have yet to experience anything like this happening to mine-

I would think it would be a sweet idea- and find it nice that we could choose to guard over an egg we really care about.

I like most ideas to bring the dragons to life more biggrin.gif I do like the idea of whites being able to heal aside from gaurding also.

Maybe Stone could be something like...

Stone: As you approach the egg, you notice a large stone figure looming behind it. Your eyes may be playing tricks on you, but you swear you saw it move. You decide it's best to turn back...

Maybe Stone could be something like...

Stone: As you approach the egg, you notice a large stone figure looming behind it. Your eyes may be playing tricks on you, but you swear you saw it move. You decide it's best to turn back...

Yeah, matches the description quite well, I like the end.... "Your eyes may be playing tricks on you, but you swear you saw it move."

I'm just concerned it will cause people saving eggs IE from the ICU preventing them from saving eggs. Since some user the refresh technique whilst others put them on the high traffic sites.

Wouldn't this idea, compromise it?

I only read the first page (it's almost time for the hourly drop...like I'll get anything anyway), but, I must say I very much like this idea.

I'm just concerned it will cause people saving eggs IE from the ICU preventing them from saving eggs. Since some user the refresh technique whilst others put them on the high traffic sites.

Maybe it wouldnt affect dragons with one day left ?

if it has one day left, the speed of views that would kill it would be VERY high, even nonexistant, so thus it would get views.

if it has one day left, the speed of views that would kill it would be VERY high, even nonexistant, so thus it would get views.

But hang on, this is to stop a rush of views.

We need to rush eggs/hatchlings with views with as low as 0.04 days left.

That's why I think this should be able to be turned on/off.

Maybe it wouldnt affect dragons with one day left ?

Why would an egg that needed rescuing have a guardian?

This is another argument for not having it be an auto feature!! If the user has to actively assign a guardian, then there's no way it's going to interfere with last minute emergency eggs that need rescuing, because they're not going to have been assigned guardians.

Edited by MyrddinDerwydd