Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

I love this idea. This would put a stop to retaliation in a wonderful way.

It's a good example of dragon companionship!

it just needs TJ to look at it

I really hope he agrees! This could save (pixel) lives!

yup! The one problem is there are two completely different suggested implementation methods, both need to be developed more. If TJ would be so kind as to look at this and tell us which he would approve of more, we could really tackle it and start fleshing it out.

Edited by sabbita

it just needs TJ to look at it

I really hope he agrees! This could save (pixel) lives!

yup! The one problem is there are two completely different suggested implementation methods, both need to be developed more. If TJ would be so kind as to look at this and tell us which he would approve of more, we could really tackle it and start fleshing it out.

Yes. I do like what you have so far, though. It's very creative.

Yeah, it's inspired by people maliciously taking eggs and killing them to hurt the owner.

I've just read all 10 pages of this and I'm a bit worried.

If this proposal is to prevent malicious egg-killing as described on the first page scenario then surely that could just as easily happen to a new player who picked up an abandoned (or dropped trade) rare.

This idea makes it sound as though it's OK for people with fewer than 10 adult dragons to be attacked in this way as neither proposal would offer them any protection.

I've just read all 10 pages of this and I'm a bit worried.

If this proposal is to prevent malicious egg-killing as described on the first page scenario then surely that could just as easily happen to a new player who picked up an abandoned (or dropped trade) rare.

This idea makes it sound as though it's OK for people with fewer than 10 adult dragons to be attacked in this way as neither proposal would offer them any protection.

a new player might just as easily post the egg on a high traffic site. that's what the death by too fast views is for, as a warning to not get views too quickly. That's why it's only proposed for more advanced owners.

I've been watching this thread for a bit, & I do like the idea a lot (Two words, not one). And I've been wondering if anyone considered combinding this idea with some of the stuff in this topic? Actions and objects for adults, A compilation of stuff and ideas

Maybe collecting these items would help with the protection as well? Possibly adding slightly to the protection, or enhancing the protection provided by the adult dragons? You might get different messages depending what other objects you have hoarded.

Princess - You see a lovely princess & forget completely about the dragon eggs you came to find.

Piles of treasure - you cant see any dragon eggs, the glow from the dragon's treasure blinds you.

Horse - As you sneak closer to the egg, you hear the terrified squeals of a frightened horse & when you look up you see it is running right toward you. You scramble out of it's way before it tramples you, & you decide to leave before anymore stampeeding horses come your way.

Also maybe the different types of dragons provide different levels of protection? Certain types of adult dragons might provide a bit more protection that others?

Just tossing out some other ideas for consideration, hope they help.

the idea to have different dragons provide different levels was trashed a few days ago. This would cause everyone to grab those species.

I'd rather get this idea up and going, without combining it with another thread. The idea is "get it implemented, THEN add things to it"

okay no problem,

but as I remembered it the idea of different levels was that some would provide protection while others didn't provide protection at all. my idea had been slightly different with all dragons providing some protection, but certain ones providing just a tiny bit higher percentage of protection. should have mentioned that, but my brain short circuted & forgot.

But yeah, wait till the idea is up & running, before altering it any more. IF it gets up & running. Just wanted to mention my idea before I forgot it.

I've decided to do one for every dragon, and redo some that I did before.

Grey: You attempt to approach the egg, but thick, menacing storm clouds shield it. They seem somewhat ominous, so you decide it's best to leave it alone.

Water: You attempt to approach the egg, but it is submerged in a pool of deep, murky water. Rather than swim down to see it, you decide to leave it alone.

Magi: You attempt to approach the egg, but a magical charge persuades you to go back. You did not catch a glimpse of the egg.

Two-headed: You attempt to approach the egg, but it's being protected by a sleeping two-headed dragon... you shudder at the thought of what it would do to you if it caught you trying to touch the egg. It's probably best to leave it alone.

Purple/Pink: You attempt to approach the egg, but it is protected by a feminine aura. You decide to not bother trying to see through it and leave it alone.

White: You approach the egg, but a white dragon is visible in the background. The egg glows white for a moment and it is as if you have never viewed it at all. You assume the dragon did this for a reason, so you leave it alone.

Guardian: You attempt to approach the egg, but a gray shield is in front of it. When you go to the side of it, it still lingers in front of you. You decide to leave it alone.

I'm sticking with my rock one.

Black: You attempt to approach the egg, but there is something ominous about that green glow, so you decide it's best to turn back and leave it alone.

Paper: You attempt to approach the egg, but all you see is a bit of paper. You decide that it's not here and turn back.

That's all I got for now.

Skywing: You walk up to egg, but a strong force of wind knocks it out of your view and you decide to leave it alone as the wind is too strong for you.

random

yeah, honestly I think that any difference between types of dragons is just going to cause grief.

However, I'm rethinking limiting the guarding feature to advanced dragons. It *is* a little unfair, and will only cause confusion, if users all of a sudden have a new feature at 10 dragons. the way we have it set up now is with increasing levels of protection with lots of dragons, so it could just as easliy go the other way - having less protection if you only have a few dragons, but some is better than none!!

A suggestion then: If you have <10 dragons, then you get X% protection from too many views. You can still set them to guard, it's just not as effective, so if you're a newb and screw up then your egg is still going to die. after you get >10 dragons, then you get an increased X% protection per dragon. Guarding still works the same, but is just that much more effective.

This way, the newbs aren't getting totally jyped, and wouldn't be getting a new feature thrown at them all of a sudden at 10 dragons. And let's face it- it doesn't take that long to get 10 dragons anyway-what, 3 weeks with no breeding?

Instead of the egg taking the view, the scapegoat ( The adult Dragons) could take the views for them if the percentage is increasing more than 25-50% an hour.

I like the idea. I thought of a couple of descriptions.

Magi: You approach the egg/hatchling, but a wave of magic overpowers you and you find yourself outside the cave. You decide to leave the egg/hatchling alone

Chicken: You approach the egg/hatchling, but you only find a chicken roosting where the egg/hatchling should be, and the chicken is glaring fiercely at you. You decide to leave after that.

Two-headed: You approach the egg/hatchling, but two pairs of red eyes stare out at you from the darkness of the cave. A roar emerges from the cave, and you flee the cave out of fear.

Guardian: You approach the egg/hatchling, but there is another dragon in the cave with a large shield on its tail. As you move closer, it moves to stand in front of the egg/hatchling, and you think that it means business. You leave the cave after that.

Purple/Pink: You approach the egg/hatchling, but a purple/pink dragon is resting in front of it, a fiercely protective glint in its eyes. You decide not to anger the female dragon, and you leave the egg/hatchling alone.

Vine: You approach the egg/hatchling, but a thick field of vines and flowers surround the egg/hatchling, making it impossible to view. A few vines burst out of the ground and drag you towards the cave entrance, and you take the hint and leave.

Red: You approach the egg/hatchling, but a sudden burst of flames from the walls startles you as a red dragon flies down, roaring angrily and shooting flames at you. You scramble out of the cave, fearing for your life.

lol, awesome idea! Cause I'm weird, I'll throw my ideas into the mix as well!

Chicken- You walk into the dragons cave, braced for the worst. You see a chicken. Disappointed, you leave.

Split- You enter the cave, and see a flash of white and blue. followed by the roars of what must be a pair of dragons protecting their egg. You decide not to push your luck, and slowly back away.

Purple and Pink- You enter the cave, and see and purp/pink dragon laying in front of you. Thinking of the sayings about human mothers acting like dragons, you decide not to find out what dragon mothers act like.

Magi- As soon as you enter the cave, you hear a deep growl, and have a feeling like reality just hiccuped. Your outside the cave, and decide to keep it that way.

DGreen- You enter a cave devoid of any plant life, and suddenly spot a large cluster of vines in the back of the cave. It also spots you. You decide your not that into agriculture, and leave the cave.

Green- As you walk into the cave, you start to feel the beginning of an earthquake. Fearing the entrance may collapse, you quickly leave the cave. The shaking stops as soon as you do, but you decide not to find out why.

Dino- You walk into the cave and see a large brightly colored boot wearing Dinosaur staring at you. You leave the cave, and make a mental note to throw away the rations you had this morning.

Red- As you enter the cave, the temperature rises noticeably. Mid way in, you hear a deep growl, and two small flames shoot forth from the dragons nostrils, briefly illuminating a large red face. You promptly turn around and run for your life.

Mint- You enter the small cave, and see a pale green creature you assume to be a dragon attempting to hide something behind it. Overwhelmed by its pathetic cuteness, you exit the cave, leaving a small pile of your rations behind for the poor thing to snack on.

Blue- You enter a large, damp cave, and find it is connected to an underground lake. Mere seconds before you dive in, you see movement under the surface of the water, and see two large eyes looking at you. Re-thinking your swim, you turn around and leave the creature be.

Gray- You see a cave high in the rockface ahead of you. You climb up to have a look, but the second you enter the cave, a strong gust of wind sends you flying backwards. Thankful for your tether, you decide not to push it, and climb back down.

Silver- You enter a large cave, and are suddenly confronted by a pair of dragons, the likes of which you could never have imagined. Awed by their beauty and grace,

you decide to leave the creatures alone

Guardian- As you enter the cave, you see a large dragon slowly walk into view. It sets its large Shield like tail in front of something, and simply looks at you. You determine it doesn't want you to see whats ever its protecting, and rather then anger it, exit the cave.

Well, S'all I got. Sorry if they're a little long, I have a habit of writing too much.

It's ALIVE! The Forum is Back!

Also, I really like this on of Draigo's for the vine smile.gif

DGreen- You enter a cave devoid of any plant life, and suddenly spot a large cluster of vines in the back of the cave. It also spots you. You decide that you're not that into agriculture, and leave the cave.

And also the "brightly colored boot wearing" dino description biggrin.gif

Edited by MyrddinDerwydd

An edited sort of version of this: there would have to be a certain amount of views allowed above the "kill threshold" so that your dragon can still die if you mess up. I like the passive idea if and only if it's still possible for you to mess up and kill your dragon yourself with too many views. TJ probably has the statistics for what the average rate of views is, and can probably get the general ballpark for user-mistake kills... and then set a number a certain level above that (since deliberate kill is almost certainly way above that), not telling us what it is, to be protected from. But once the protection is implemented, it should freeze the egg/hatchling temporarily and alert TJ or the mods so that it can be investigated, and perhaps views from the high-traffic site where it was posted can then be blocked, the timer started again, and the egg owner is free to go about their business. This is a more targeted method that still prevents malicious killings, but doesn't favor anyone. It might make more work for TJ and the mods, though.

So I guess I see this more as a warning system than anything else. Especially if it can somehow be determined who keeps making these retaliatory killings so they can somehow be banned. It still accomplishes the same objectives, though, and all these creative descriptions can be used to signify "this egg is under investigation".

I have one for autumn when and if it comes out.

You attempt to approach the egg, but a giant pile of leaves falls on you. It takes you five minutes to get out, and as soon as you do, you decide to leave.

I was going to make a "you try to approach the egg but are buffeted by a flurry of autumn leaves"

I personally love this!

Its a ideal way for your dragons to still get views, but not at such an alarming rate it'll die.

*slams hand down on desk* I SUPPORT THIS IDEA X3

A few ideas i randomly had:

Water- You approach a egg, only to see a giant tidal wave hurtling at you; pushing you away.

Magi- You approach a egg, when suddenly your surrounded by magi dragons; you run, not liking that odd hungry glare they casted at you.

Thats all i really got X3

Edited by Mishi