Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

I'm still a newbie to this site and I haven't FULLY worked out the mechanics of it yet, but...

What if you had it so one adult dragon can be assigned to protect one egg (thus you need 5 adults to protect 5 eggs), but that adult dragon takes the hits for that egg?

They'd have to program in some kind of injury factor (though they'd already have to program the "protective" factor), but for every view the adult dragon takes, it subtracts from an invisible number of hit points (perhaps determined by the dragon's views ratio). If the dragon takes too many hits, it will be injured (perhaps permanently). The more injured it is, the greater the chance that the dragon will die.

Thus, you sacrifice a fully grown adult dragon for the egg, which may die anyway.

This way, you have to choose between sacrificing a dragon to save an egg, or just letting the egg go.

Think. The dragons aren't getting "hit" so much as they are "driving away attackers".

Think. The dragons aren't getting "hit" so much as they are "driving away attackers".

Look, I know you're invested in this idea, but folks who *understand* your suggestion are suggesting other ideas and you're being kind of rude. You put out a neat idea, people are playing with your concept. You need to back off on the defense a little.

Look, I know you're invested in this idea, but folks who *understand* your suggestion are suggesting other ideas and you're being kind of rude. You put out a neat idea, people are playing with your concept. You need to back off on the defense a little.

I've accepted some of these ideas, but TJ's made it clear that "hit points" aren't allowed

I've accepted some of these ideas, but TJ's made it clear that "hit points" aren't allowed

I wasn't talking only about this. You've been defensive on anything that talked about a change in reading the thread, it seems descriptions have been the only okay suggestions.

I wasn't talking only about this. You've been defensive on anything that talked about a change in reading the thread, it seems descriptions have been the only okay suggestions.

because everyone is talking about it being just another action under the adults' actions, and that really makes it too much like an "easy egg saving"

What if you had it so one adult dragon can be assigned to protect one egg (thus you need 5 adults to protect 5 eggs), but that adult dragon takes the hits for that egg?

Now this idea I could deal with. And if I didn't assign any of my dragons to any eggs or hatchlings I could have them free to take as many hits as I wanted.

Now this idea I could deal with. And if I didn't assign any of my dragons to any eggs or hatchlings I could have them free to take as many hits as I wanted.

but their idea was that the dragon DIES after too many hits....

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to think of a way to make the concept not TOO convenient, since I imagine a feature with a risk would be more likely to be implemented. If there's such an onslaught of views that they're relentlessly killing eggs, it seems likely that a dragon guardian could be injured in the line of duty.

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to think of a way to make the concept not TOO convenient, since I imagine a feature with a risk would be more likely to be implemented. If there's such an onslaught of views that they're relentlessly killing eggs, it seems likely that a dragon guardian could be injured in the line of duty.

the idea is that the adult dragon (through use of fire, vines, storm, or other abilities that are natural to their species) drive away the viewers. the more dragons there are, the more harmful viewers are driven away.

but their idea was that the dragon DIES after too many hits....

Which is why I only quoted that idea. The ability to maybe have your dragons guard an egg or hatchie.

i like the idea and think it would be great if theres someway to get it sorted so the eggs aren't always protected and making it too easy

I didn't mean to imply battle-style hit points, I was mostly thinking that the adult dragon would be injured if overused for such a purpose, and die if it was grossly overused (to prevent people from taking advantage of the feature to hatch eggs easily).

Maybe each adult dragon would have a set amount of times it can be used as a guardian before it would get exhausted from it and would have to be permanently "retired". That way, no dragons die, and you wouldn't be able to abuse the system from simply having so many dragons.

pink and purple: you try to approach an egg but the TOO strong scent of perfume drives you away your eyes watering

Perhaps only a dragon's parents could guard it...?

Considering most of the eggs on the site don't have parents I don't think that would make it very useful. Actually, it'd make it so you couldn't guard any eggs that you hadn't bred yourself.

I think that the Passive and Active methods of implementation are both viable right now. Yes, I favor the active defense method, and not because, as someone said, it is an "OMGSHINYVISIBLENEWFEATURE!!!"

Based on the ideas most discussed so far, both provide a way for experienced dragon cavers to protect their dragons from unexpectedly high view rates. Both can potentially provide the same level of protection, based on the # of dragons that a user has. Both would limit a percentage of views from going through when a dragon is getting a "dangerously high view rate/count", to be determined by TJ, and dependent on the egg/hatchling's timer and stage. Both still allows some views, where the fog does not.

Passive provides a completely automated protection, much like TJ's current limit to the view rate. It also requires no visible changes to how the site works. However, it is also adding something that users are only going to know about when they happen to view an egg that is being viewed to fast. And every time it happens to someone new, I guarantee there will be an "OMG WTF" thread about it. There is also the problem of it making it just that much easier to raise eggs, without any further effort on your part after you have X # of dragons.

Active provides the same levels of protection, adds a new feature to adult dragons that can be used in addition and complementary to breeding. However, it would require extra coding (i assume) to add the timing, egg choice, etc. into the actions menu similar to that for breeding. Everyone with enough dragons will know what is going on, although there will still be the inevitable newbie confusion. It requires a modicum of effort and maintenance on the user's part, but much less than the current system. Also, the descriptions would most likely only work well with the Active mode, or else it would have to just be random which dragon Passively defended the egg.

--Hey, I'm just trying to sum up where we are, so people will pay attention and know what's going on.--

Edited by MyrddinDerwydd

X# might even increase based on "what's the highest number of adults any one scroll has" so it can never be 100% effective, but at least mitigate a killing rate into a not killing rate....

I'd say the best way to implement this plan is if you have a guardian dragon, fully grown. and it could only protect one, maybe two eggs. this way you can still lose some, but have at least one protected.

I'd say the best way to implement this plan is if you have a guardian dragon, fully grown. and it could only protect one, maybe two eggs. this way you can still lose some, but have at least one protected.

The problem with this is that it would result in experienced people stockpiling Guardian dragons for no reason other than to protect eggs, and it would make them very difficult to get. Also, it's similar to TJ not wanting a lot of rare dragons, it takes a lot of coding and effort for an exponentially smaller result. Implementing guarding for all adults is much more productive of a use of resources than implementing it for a single species.

The problem with this is that it would result in experienced people stockpiling Guardian dragons for no reason other than to protect eggs, and it would make them very difficult to get. Also, it's similar to TJ not wanting a lot of rare dragons, it takes a lot of coding and effort for an exponentially smaller result. Implementing guarding for all adults is much more productive of a use of resources than implementing it for a single species.

ah, but that's why you only allow one egg to be protected, no matter the amount of guardians. I should of expanded on that in my earlier post.

ah, but that's why you only allow one egg to be protected, no matter the amount of guardians. I should of expanded on that in my earlier post.

I suppose that would work. Again though, I don't know if it's worth trying to implement if you only get to use it on one egg at a time, and with one adult dragon.

I suppose that would work. Again though, I don't know if it's worth trying to implement if you only get to use it on one egg at a time, and with one adult dragon.

yeah, my suggestion was for all of them....

My Idea for Mint guarding is: "You approach the egg to touch it, but see a massive army of small green dragons staring at you angrily, you decide to turn around and leave quickly before you face their awsome Powahs!" I'm kidding of course. I like the idea though.

I actually like the idea, although I think it needs some work. It just seems kinda open to abuse at the moment. But keep trying guys smile.gif I'd like to see something like this implemented. In the mean time.. what about a skywing?! I saw no description of it guarding eggs. How about..

As you approach the egg a large shadow swoops down at you from the sky. You decide to turn back before it circles for a second attack.

I actually like the idea, although I think it needs some work. It just seems kinda open to abuse at the moment. But keep trying guys smile.gif I'd like to see something like this implemented. In the mean time.. what about a skywing?! I saw no description of it guarding eggs. How about..

As you approach the egg a large shadow swoops down at you from the sky. You decide to turn back before it circles for a second attack.

In what ways do you feel that it's open to abuse the way it's currently being discussed? smile.gif

Really? I thought I saw one for it very similar to this. Something about you getting buffeted by air from wings, and when you looked back the egg was gone. Maybe it didn't make it to the front page.

Vine: You try to peek through the large, prickly mass of greenery surrounding the egg, but the thorns among the vines convince you to turn back.

Edited by MyrddinDerwydd