Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

I actually like the idea, although I think it needs some work. It just seems kinda open to abuse at the moment. But keep trying guys smile.gif I'd like to see something like this implemented. In the mean time.. what about a skywing?! I saw no description of it guarding eggs. How about..

As you approach the egg a large shadow swoops down at you from the sky. You decide to turn back before it circles for a second attack.

Really? I thought I saw one for it very similar to this. Something about you getting buffeted by air from wings, and when you looked back the egg was gone. Maybe it didn't make it to the front page.

Vine: You try to peek through the large, prickly mass of greenery surrounding the egg, but the thorns among the vines convince you to turn back.

You're right, Kila did it on page 3 and I didn't see it, nor did it make it to the front page. Funny how it was over looked. Must be cause it's kinda out of place, all the people around her are discussing the topic itself not what should be said.

Edit, since I saw your edit XP

I worry that, if it's a guaranteed protection that people will just post their dragons up beginning on day one and not worry about it until it's time for it to hatch. And if it's not a guaranteed protection then some newbies are going to wonder why such and such made it while such and such didn't.

I also don't think it's fair to say that only bred eggs get protection, while I do have plenty of bred eggs some of the rarer eggs can only be gotten through the drops and it's the rare eggs that need the most protection.

It shouldn't be just guardians because not everyone likes the guardian sprites... or they want a pure scroll. If they have a scroll of nothing but magi (which I have seen around here) then it's not fair to say they have to ruin it if they want the same protection others get.

Also with the only one adult allowed to protect a single egg.. just doesn't seem right for me to pick one egg over another! XP Kidding. But seriously, you can't know which of your eggs might be at risk for attack. It's more likely to happen to rares.. but like what happened with Terriah, her entire scroll was in danger.

Edited by AngelsxRequiem

because everyone is talking about it being just another action under the adults' actions, and that really makes it too much like an "easy egg saving"

Excuse me, but I'm curious--how does having it as an action for an adult make it into "easy egg saving"? An adult actively assigned to the egg wouldn't be more successful than if they were passively protecting the egg. If anything, having passive protection is easier because the owner doesn't have to do anything. When it's passive, the egg is automatically protected. When it's active, the owner has to at least remember to assign a dragon to it.

And if this were to go into place, I would think you could protect more than one egg. I dislike the idea of only bred eggs being protected, partly because it would punish people who breed to abandon and give eggs to other users, partly because many rare eggs aren't bred. I'm not sure about having different rates of success per breed because it may lead to breed hoarding, but since you can only have up to nine eggs + hatchlings anyway, if somebody really wanted nine guardians as egg-sitters then I suppose they could have them.

because everyone is talking about it being just another action under the adults' actions, and that really makes it too much like an "easy egg saving"

Excuse me, but I'm curious--how does having it as an action for an adult make it into "easy egg saving"? An adult actively assigned to the egg wouldn't be more successful than if they were passively protecting the egg. If anything, having passive protection is easier because the owner doesn't have to do anything. When it's passive, the egg is automatically protected. When it's active, the owner has to at least remember to assign a dragon to it.

And if this were to go into place, I would think you could protect more than one egg. I dislike the idea of only bred eggs being protected, partly because it would punish people who breed to abandon and give eggs to other users, partly because many rare eggs aren't bred. I'm not sure about having different rates of success per breed because it may lead to breed hoarding, but since you can only have up to nine eggs + hatchlings anyway, if somebody really wanted nine guardians as egg-sitters then I suppose they could have them.

I thought they were saying one egg protected cvompletely, my bad.

Ok Lets make this clear. These are a few questions and suggestions that keep coming up.

1. No one is suggesting that any egg, at any time that it is unfogged, would be completely safe from being over clicked/viewed.

2. The vast majority of the people discussing this are not in favor of only having one type of dragon able to protect eggs.

3. The vast majority of the people discussing this are not in favor of only allowing bred eggs to be protected, in any shape form or fashion.

4. There are two main ways that have been discussed:

mad.gifmad.gif Active protection, with a time limit, action menu link, kicks in when the egg is in danger *and* protected by a dragon as is outlined elsewhere.

ninja.gifninja.gif Passive protection, hidden, simply coded into the site, automatic, kicks in only when egg is in danger, no new actions, as is also outlined elsewhere.

5.Neither method would inherently provide a higher level of protection than the other, beyond the difference between active and passive.

6. The "protection" discussed does not prevent all views, and only kicks in when the egg is in danger, which would be determined by TJ and changes with how old the egg/hatchling is.

7. Neither method would prevent the saving of ICU/Emergency eggs.

8. Many people are coming up with suggested descriptions of the result of clicking to view an egg that is protected. Have fun. I think that this is only appropriate with the Active method.

Edited by MyrddinDerwydd

Ok Lets make this clear. These are a few questions and suggestions that keep coming up.

1. No one is suggesting that any egg, at any time that it is unfogged, would be completely safe from being over clicked/viewed.

2. The vast majority of the people discussing this are not in favor of only having one type of dragon able to protect eggs.

3. The vast majority of the people discussing this are not in favor of only allowing bred eggs to be protected, in any shape form or fashion.

4. There are two main ways that have been discussed:

mad.gifmad.gif Active protection, with a time limit, action menu link, kicks in when the egg is in danger *and* protected by a dragon as is outlined elsewhere.

ninja.gifninja.gif Passive protection, hidden, simply coded into the site, automatic, kicks in only when egg is in danger, no new actions, as is also outlined elsewhere.

5.Neither method would inherently provide a higher level of protection than the other, beyond the difference between active and passive.

6. The "protection" discussed does not prevent all views, and only kicks in when the egg is in danger, which would be determined by TJ and changes with how old the egg/hatchling is.

7. Neither method would prevent the saving of ICU/Emergency eggs.

8. Many people are coming up with suggested descriptions of the result of clicking to view an egg that is protected. Have fun. I think that this is only appropriate with the Active method.

posting on first page.

I like this idea.

But I only like the passive concept under one condition, if an Egg has only 2 days to hatch or die, or a hatchling has only 2 days to grow up or die, I think the protection should be lifted.

I prefer the idea of having to activate the ability. That way the person who owns the egg can decide which dragon is protecting the egg. I do agree that it shouldn't be possible till after a scroll has 10 adults on it.

I'm a little skeptical of whether or not a Vines should be able to protect an egg... they just seem too violent to be the protective type. Kind of like abusive parents or something.

A possible added description for the Mint.

Mint: "You could've sworn that you saw an egg, but the only thing in the bushes is a large passive aggressive horned lizard. You decide to move on."

White: "You reach out to touch the egg, however, before you can touch the egg an overwhelming sense of calm overcomes you. A regal looking white dragon stands above the egg watching you. Suddenly you find yourself content to meander away."

Pink: "As you are reaching to touch the egg, you hear a deep roar. Looking up you see a Pink dragon staring at you intensely. You're pretty certain of one thing, there's nothing more scarey then a mothers wrath, and you don't feel the desire to test that theory now."

Purple: "As you reach out to touch the egg, something long smacks your hand like a whip. Off to your right you see a large purple dragon glaring at you and menacingly suggesting another strike if you try again. You decide not to press your luck with another warning."

Fog: "As you are approaching the egg the clouds begin to darken. Undaunted you continue towards the egg. Suddenly you are swept to the ground by a powerful wind. When you look up, you see nothing but dark rainclouds and heavy winds beat against your body. The egg is missing."

I really like this idea! I think it should'nt be for bred eggs only though, simply because most people get rares from drops. I like th passive idea, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind if I saw a warning like this! I'd just giggle and move onto another egg xd.png

You don't need to actually click an egg/hatchling to give it a view. If it's posted with the image code also, that gives a view. So the descriptions and stuff would only really help if the person was trying to click it, not if they were just viewing a page where it was posted... Unless that's not how you were thinking of it. It's 4am and my brain isn't working right, so if I misinterpreted something, sorry! ;.=.;

EDIT: Also how does meebo work? Can you really get several thousand views in a very short amount of time? I know it's dangerous to get that many, but I guess if you are very careful it could be okay...

Edited by KageSora

I still just think this idea, kind of takes away the responsibility of hatching and caring for your eggs yourself, the whole point of dragon cave is to care for your pixels correctly... Unless Im seriously missunderstanding the suggestion on this thread sad.gif.

Leon, the problem is, if a malicious person is TRYING to kill your eggs with a site that gets THOUSANDS of views an hour, then there is NOTHING you can do to save your egg/hatchie. THEN the adults are guarding it.

KageSora, I should have screenshotted my gold before TJ revived it.... well over 7000 views, and 4000 unique views, and I fell asleep rather late and woke up early, so they didn't have THAT much time to kill it in....

And the adult guarding would remain in place at two days, but a much higher rate of views would be needed to trigger it.

Edited by sabbita

I came up with some ideas for descriptions:

Chicken: You go to touch the egg, but a chicken seems to come out of nowhere and starts pecking and cawing loudly out you while flapping its wings. You decide to leave before it comes any closer.

Dino: As you walk over to touch the egg, a large dinosaur with boots starts stomping and growling under its breath. You decide to leave before it attacks you.

An an idea for two headed dragons:

How about two headed dragons, one head for each egg, can gaurd two dragons/eggs at once?

This would be a possible description:

As you go to touch the egg, one head of a two headed dragon snaps at your hand angrily, while the other head seems to not know anything about what had just happened. You decide to leave before the other head notices.

Don't like the idea, because two heads would suddenly become insanely in demand, and we'd have even more people crying for a limit, but I do like the description.

Edited by sabbita

I think how it would work for just straight up views to the image is kind of like a popup blocker (with either version). The View still happens, just like the popup, it just never counts. The cool description wouldn't show up-that's for ones that actually are being clicked on-but the guarding dragon would have acted like a firewall and bounced the view before it ever actually counts, like a popup blocker stoping them from showing up on your screen.

At least, this is how I *think* it would work.

I think how it would work for just straight up views to the image is kind of like a popup blocker (with either version). The View still happens, just like the popup, it just never counts. The cool description wouldn't show up-that's for ones that actually are being clicked on-but the guarding dragon would have acted like a firewall and bounced the view before it ever actually counts, like a popup blocker stoping them from showing up on your screen.

At least, this is how I *think* it would work.

quoting this on first page because that explains it VERY well. And in the automatic defense, a random adult's guard description would pop up when the egg is clicked.

Edited by sabbita

I saw him lurking..... 2-3 pages ago. But yeah, I guess it all comes down to what idea would be easier on TJ?

The other way I can think of for it to work is like what someone else was suggesting a few pages back, but without the hitpoints.

The adult dragon guarding the egg would act as a deflector shield, taking the view/click instead of the egg. The ways that I can think of for this to actually function technically, would be:

-for the actual clicks, the adult dragon's image would appear with the "guarding" warning, thus taking the view/click itself.

-for the straight up views, for the (say 30%) of the time, when the guard function is active and they're saving the egg, their image appears on the webpage instead of the egg's.

The first I'm thinking would be pretty easy. However I'm not sure how/if the second would work at all. This was just a thought, since something similar was suggested, but I'm not saying at all that there would be any chance of the adult dying, or losing imaginary "hit points". biggrin.gif we've been through that already.

Edited by MyrddinDerwydd

Heh.... For the chicken one, I just thought of the Zelda games. x3

"You reach for the egg, but a chicken runs out from a nearby cave and begins to make a horrible racket. In moments you find yourself surrounded by angry chickens, and decided to retreat. You flee for your life as the chickens give chase, stopping only once you have dived into a nearby lake."

Edited by KageSora

Maybe this can be the 15: ratio thing tj already put in place but ad flavor text for fun??

Maybe this can be the 15: ratio thing tj already put in place but ad flavor text for fun??

no, because this doesn't guard against that, it guards against the death from too rapid views for people who have enough dragons that are adults that it's clear they know better than to post their own dragons on deadly sites....

This is pretty much to prevent what happened to me, Terriah, and some others.

Someone took our eggs/hatchlings and posted them on high traffic sites.

Thus, they were getting a flood of unique views as well, so the refresh prevention didn't come into play. If I remember right, mine was about a 2:1 ratio, but a ludicrous amount of views for one night. Over 8000 if I remember right.

Mine happened overnight. I'd never had the need to fog my babies before, and the site I post them on does not get that kind of traffic.

This would guard against this sort of activity.

Lyz.

This is pretty much to prevent what happened to me, Terriah, and some others.

Someone took our eggs/hatchlings and posted them on high traffic sites.

Thus, they were getting a flood of unique views as well, so the refresh prevention didn't come into play. If I remember right, mine was about a 2:1 ratio, but a ludicrous amount of views for one night. Over 8000 if I remember right.

Mine happened overnight. I'd never had the need to fog my babies before, and the site I post them on does not get that kind of traffic.

This would guard against this sort of activity.

Lyz.

same thing happened to me!

I think tj is going to be the one to decide which way to go(probably whatever's easiest), so instead of arguing over which we like better, is there anyway to develop this further? or have we covered everything?

Edited by Halfdan

I think tj is going to be the one to decide which way to go(probably whatever's easiest), so instead of arguing over which we like better, is there anyway to develop this further? or have we covered everything?

I think we've covered everything, it's up to TJ....