TJ09

2014-04-01 - Feature Announcement

So I guess this makes DC Wiki pointless?

I wouldn't think so. If this does become a thing it looks like it won't have all of the information that the wiki has, or summaries about past events and releases. And I doubt it'll have a helpful list of what colors Stripes create with other breeds. x3

The Dragon Types page seems like it'll still be easier to skim down than this encyclopedia, to see the stages and biomes at a quick glance. Same for the Which Egg is Which page, which is really helpful because of the description column.

Edited by Dimar

While I believe that this feature is in fact true (as evidenced by this post), I reserve my judgment of it being actually released any time soon. That "soon-TM" is there for a reason.

"Oh hey, I got a new feature for you all! Except it won't be out for another couple of years!" trollface.jpg

Edit: Typos.

Edited by Shokomon

Having this as a new feature and making wiki pointless (if it does) would actually be good for me - every time I go to wiki to look up eggs or dragons, the pop ups slow my already dying computer way down until it crashes. It would be great to be able to find the breed info directly on the DC pages. I just hope it doesn't add anymore lag to DC than there already has been.

I'm thinking this feature is real now since the notice was posted one minute before it officially turned April 1, and because of how long this thread has been going now.

Having this as a new feature and making wiki pointless (if it does) would actually be good for me - every time I go to wiki to look up eggs or dragons, the pop ups slow my already dying computer way down until it crashes. It would be great to be able to find the breed info directly on the DC pages. I just hope it doesn't add anymore lag to DC than there already has been.

It wouldn't make the wiki useless at all. The wiki is still useful in other areas other than info on the dragons.

maybe the April Fool's joke is us thinking that this is an April Fool's joke (that it's fake) when actually it's real o.o

Yes, that's a possibility. But then maybe we're supposed to think that when it is a joke all along. :-)

I'm loving this!!!

And it may be for real...

Crap, now he's got me doing it... lol

That's an awesome idea regardless of implementation, but imagine the stampede to 'observe' enough adults for your next unlock. xd.png

Soon™

Say, TJ, you happen to have contact with Sapience, the community manager from Lotro? Cause I think he's claimed this^ biggrin.gif

And I'm still hoping it just might not be an april's fool's joke, especially since this news topic hasn't been closed three days after April Fools. The Biggest Release Ever Thread was closed on April 2nd last year.

And.... This topic was started on March 31, instead of April 1st, like last year.

So..... still being hopeful smile.gif

Edited by Sheriziya

Hi, Ruby...

hahaha, this is fun...

The suspense is killing people!!! biggrin.gif

Say, TJ, you happen to have contact with Sapience, the community manager from Lotro? Cause I think he's claimed this^  biggrin.gif

Heh, the devs of the Star Wars: Galaxies MMO were using Soon™ long before LotRO came out biggrin.gif

In other news, why can't I connect to the Cave? I want to send people eggs! I assume it's something to do with the planned maintenance but I thought that had finished and the cave should be back up.

Edited by tysha

Seems the site is down- maybe TJ's finally implementing the new feature?

The site is not down. And TJ doesn't need to take it down to implement new features.

The site is not down. And TJ doesn't need to take it down to implement new features.

well now it's up. dry.gifwink.gif

*plays Jaws theme song*

I'm late to the jam! Honestly though FOR THE LOVE OF DRAGONS LET THIS BE REAL.

laugh.gif I get it! Look at all the commotion! This was his plan, is it real, is it not real, is it being not real not real? That would be good if it was though.

laugh.gif  I get it! Look at all the commotion! This was his plan, is it real, is it not real, is it being not real not real? That would be good if it was though.

TJ is no doubt laughing at all of the April Fools chaos he has created. xd.png

Edited by Silverswift

Heh, the devs of the Star Wars: Galaxies MMO were using Soon™ long before LotRO came out biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

I also found out Blizzard apparently uses this since 2004 and claim copyright on it since biggrin.gif

On another note, I'm getting more and more convinced this was an april fool's joke andhere's why:

1. The announcement was NOT made on April 1st

2. This topic still isn't closed: last year TJ announced we’d have the biggest release ever on April 1st. On April 2nd the topic was closed by rubyshoes because:

Closing as April Food's Day is over.

3. Like other's have said: This has been a feature which has been requested in the past. TJ closed the particular topic with the following statement:

There are already features planned (that have been in development for a long time) that would answer the original request. As such, I don’t see the need for leaving discussion open.

4. TJ closed the Dragon Encyclopedia Thread only temporary because of the earlier downtime of the site. I managed to quote his reply on my own site before he deleted it:

Closing to prevent the other announcement thread from being buried. Will reopen later.
Now why would he reopen this topic if this was an april fool's joke?

So....... Is this real? Or is it indeed a joke, like others have said: the joke would be to let us all think it's real and it's not real at all....... With four days after April Fool's day I'm not really inclined to believe that anymore, but maybe I'm too hopeful smile.gif

Whether or not it was a gag to begin with, I think we can all agree that it's an absolutely FABULOUS idea with tons of potential.

I'd be happy to help work on it and I'm sure many others would as well - and the contest potential is literally endless. There could be a Dragon of the Month that people could illustrate/write backstory for, and/or people could create pages for their faves and the membership could vote for those they think the best...we could even design and propose as-yet-"undiscovered" species...I have an informal Encyclopedia of Natural History project running on another site whose aims are virtually identical to those described - and have had a lot of positive response and volunteer "researchers" - and I would be thrilled to help create one here.

Whether or not it was a gag to begin with, I think we can all agree that it's an absolutely FABULOUS idea with tons of potential.

I'd be happy to help work on it and I'm sure many others would as well - and the contest potential is literally endless. There could be a Dragon of the Month that people could illustrate/write backstory for, and/or people could create pages for their faves and the membership could vote for those they think the best...we could even design and propose as-yet-"undiscovered" species...I have an informal Encyclopedia of Natural History project running on another site whose aims are virtually identical to those described - and have had a lot of positive response and volunteer "researchers" - and I would be thrilled to help create one here.

Wow, the possibilities! Your idea sounds very interesting smile.gif I'd be happy to volunteer as well!

I just want a banana, is that too much to ask? All this chaos is going on and I am still bananaless. A sad world indeed.

On a brighter note, this is most definitely a real, fake hoax of a realistic situation that fails to support why it isn't real, but can't be real, due to the substantial evidence of a joke, that could be intertwining this whole thing into a realistically real hilarious joke.

... I don't even know what I just said, but it'd be nice if this was real.

I just want a banana, is that too much to ask? All this chaos is going on and I am still bananaless. A sad world indeed.

On a brighter note, this is most definitely a real, fake hoax of a realistic situation that fails to support why it isn't real, but can't be real, due to the substantial evidence of a joke, that could be intertwining this whole thing into a realistically real hilarious joke.

... I don't even know what I just said, but it'd be nice if this was real.

That's sad... *cough cough* ...come to think of it, the bananas over here at my house are going bad right now, too >.>;

...errrrr... yah, I got lost between the "real"s and the "fake"s and the "jokes" ... but yah, it would be nice indeed. I'm not throwing in my "vote" on if this is real or fake yet, but I will say that it would be a nice add.

My guess, being tagged along and will finally close before new release due rolleyes.gif