Shibadruid

Survival of the Youngest

user posted image

Body fluids began to fill the punctured lung, and hot tears streamed down her face; the life she was just given was being viciously taken from her. She let out a wheeze and choked on some of her blood. The metallic taste burned her tongue and caused her to gag a little. Her vision blurry, she could only make out a few blobs of mass; a white one was huddled into something, and another white, almost grey one next to it. Her hearing was shot by now, so she was completely deaf, but she didn't notice.

The female Hellhorse hatchling struggled for breath, and she coughed again. Liliana spat up what little content was in her stomach, chocking on it as it came up. The purple baby lifted her head up with her weak neck, but found no support; it quickly flopped back down. She tried to call over to the others, but she just wasn't loud enough. Just not healthy enough. Just not strong enough. So, this was the world she was born into, eh? A dragon-eat-dragon world, every hatchling for himself? Perfect; she would have flourished here.

With one last attempt at being saved, Liliana huffed a plume of blue smoke, but then drowned on the blood that filled her throat. Her red eyes slowly closed, and her sin went cold. Immediately, bugs and rats came scurrying from the walls, and began pecking at the deserted body.

user posted image

Kummaline gazed at the pale orange hatchling, her emerald eyes twinkled in the sunlight. The daisy Venus was chewing on look weird, inedible at first. But as she continued, Kummaline's stomach growled fiercely, his primal hunger enveloping his mind. Kumma licked his lips, then started to chew on the withered plants surrounding him.

He smacked his lips together, then looked at Venus with grimace.

"Disgursted, these are".

He looked at the flowers again, his nose to the air. He didn't like the taste, but it wasn't too bad. The Spotted Greenwing stuffed a pawful into his maw and chewed furiously.

Seraza heard the mouse before she saw it, but the mouse neither heard nor saw her. It was the perfect situation. Stalking the mouse slowly, Seraza crept up right behind it, and ... stepped on a twig. The loud crack sent the mouse skittering away, and an angry thought skittering into Seraza's mind. I need to be more careful! I need to be silent. Nobody should hear me. Growling softly, Seraza paced about the forest, and attempted to find another mouse. The second one wasn't so clean: the mouse had seen her, and Seraza had chased it down to kill it. Nevertheless, it was a kill, and she was proud of herself. Seraza ate the mouse quickly, and spat out the bones when she was done. The fullness of her stomach pleased her, and she began to work her way back to the cave, to observe how the others acted.

~~~~~

Madlia listened to the hatchling's response, which was distinctly not in words she understood. Maybe he just hatched? He seems curious enough. I guess I shouldn't be overbearing. The scent seems to be coming from him, though. I want to keep him around! Madlia continued smiling, and said, y-you can follow m-me if you want. I'll show you the river. Madlia motioned for the hatchling to follow, and made her way towards the stream.

~~~~~

Calearn groaned, and slowly got up. He was angry: with the Horse hatchling for being useless at fighting, at the Black for stealing his kill, and at himself for fainting. Glaring at the other hatchlings, he said, don't expect any more help from me. You deserve nothing. Now let me eat. Walking up to the fox, he angrily tore off a piece of the meat, and chewed on it tensely. For whatever reason, Calearn particularly enjoyed the taste of the fox's blood. It made him feel powerful, and strong. Shrugging off the feeling, Calearn turned his attentions to filling his stomach, and planning his next moves.

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler went a few steps backwards when Calearn glared at her. She lowered her head, feeling ashamed of herself. Why couldn't she fight? She only had useless hooves...she shouldn't have stupidly alerted the creature...the fox.

"I...I'm s-sorry," she said quietly. She wasn't exactly sure what "sorry" meant but she knew that it was something that was a form of...apology.

So guilty was she, that she didn't hear the footsteps of another hatchling entering the clearing.

~~~

user posted image

"Uhh..." Rale Rock was a bit taken-aback by this. He didn't actually have much of a problem with it but he felt a bit uncomfortable at the thought of two Rales. Maybe it was because that it was his own unique name.

"H-how ab-about...R..Ra...Ryk-Ryker?" suggested Rale, coming up with the name in a hurry.

~~~

user posted image

The Daydream hatchling cocked her head as she was asked for her name. "My...name? I don't have a name...yet. What about...Dur...Drei-Dream...Dream Dell!" Dream Dell bounced up and down excitedly when she came up with her name.

"I-I'mm Dr-Dream Delll!" she squealed excitedly, "I hhhave a name! I have a name!" Giggling, she flopped down and rolled around in the grass. She stopped, lying on her back, and tilted her head to look at Thea upside down.

"Th-Th-Thhhea...nnnice name!" she grinned.

<OOC: No, it's completely fine, Cendaquenta. :3 >

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Tenebris stopped eating the fox as Calern came to have a share. It was fine with him if the other hatchling ate some, as he did help, but how he spoke to the purple one was not right.

"She gave more aid than you did." Tenebris snarled. "That implicates that she deserves more than you do."

Calearn looked up, and bared his small, but nevertheless sharp, fangs. Don't you tell me what I can't say, he growled with malice emanating from his body, you don't know the half of it. She got us into this fight. She couldn't stop it. If I weren't there, it would have killed her. I didn't even need her in the first place: I would have killed mice and eaten for myself. I'm surprised you even expected me to do anything, you piece of trash. Calearn was taken aback by his anger and what he'd just said, but in the heat of the moment he had no time to think, and words just came to him. He didn't stutter at all, they were just in his throat, and then they were in the air. Calearn glared at the Black, almost challenging him to attack.

"Surely, you cannot be this arrogant!" Tenebris said with a snarl. "She may have attracted the thing's attention, and you may have saved her, but she wasn't the one knocked back on her back now, was she? In fact, we both saved you, so mind your place weakling!"

Little did he know it, but Tenebris was beginning to create an aura of dread and dismay. Since he did not know of this ability of his, he would not be able to control it, and it would begin to spread to all around him. What he did know however, was that this impudent hatchling just might need to be taught a lesson, so Tenebris crouched low, and let loose a threatening growl.

Edited by Narath

((OOC: Please control the language. In fact, I feel like Calearn's comment last time is the farthest it should go, if even that far.))

Calearn felt the dread that the Black was unwittingly giving off, and he hated it. He hated it so much that he used it to fuel his anger. He wasn't going to be scared by others. They would be scared of him. I am not a weakling, he said, getting right in the Black's face. I just hatched. Earlier than either of you, if I remember correctly. What's it to you if I'm arrogant? You don't control me. You know nothing about me. I get things done, and I don't care what you think about me. Have you been injured? How are you going to react? Cry? Faint, like I did? You had better hope I don't make you find out.

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler looked at the quarreling two in dismay. She hadn't meant to spark off an argument. What if the two started fighting?

"G...guys, s-stop..." she whimpered, half afraid that one of them might snap at her. It was then that she realized that another hatchling was in the area. It was a dull brown and red and it was watching them. She looked at it curiously, glanced back at the other two, and looked at the new hatchling again.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

((OOPS! Sorry, I thought it would censor out. I'll fix that.))

Tenebris ignored the female and roared at the blue hatchling (or the hatchling equivalent of a roar) in anger, gnashing his teeth at him in a threatening manner.

"Yes, I was indeed injured by that fox, but I did not faint in fear." He replied, his voice low and threatening. "I fought back, and gave no ground to it. I did not act cowardly."

Maddness felt invisible! He watched as the two dragons argued, not noticing him a bit. In fact he could probably steal that clump of bloody fur right from under their noses and they wouldn't notice!

If that's how anger made a dragon he didn't want it, being distracted by a foul feeling like that was risky out where creatures like 'foxes' could kill you.

But he also noticed the purple filly-hatchling was upset with them, they didn't seem to see her either.

Even when she spoke up they ignored her which seemed to make her feel a bad feeling too. Was anger and sadness contagious?

Replying in an equally threatening manner, Calearn growled, what, so I have to measure everything I do against you? You are useless and idiotic. I didn't faint out of fear, I fainted because I lost blood. You just got scratched, so you'd have no idea what it felt like. I was not a coward. I was a fighter. Now, unless you want to continue to prove your utter lack of knowledge, I'm going to go find my own food. Don't come running to me when you can't find anything to eat. With that last threat, Calearn stalked right past the Horse hatchling, and growled, you're lucky I'm not hurting you for trying to tell me what to do. Don't be so foolish next time. Calearn continued into the forest, and crouched back down into the tall grass, waiting for some prey that he could take his anger out on.

Tenebris cast a hateful glare at the blue hatchling as it stalked off. They should all be looking after the welfare of the group, not putting trying to put others down. The only reason he was arguing was because he felt that it was the right thing to do, to defend the female that helped him.

"Pay no heed to him." Tenebris said to the purple hatchling. "Those of his ilk will be on their own, cast out from the others. Those like us will not, because we will support the group, and look out for each other."

user posted image

Sparkly Scaler avoided eye contact with Calearn as he growled at her and remained quiet as the black hatchling told her not to pay any...heed to him, which she assumed meant "attention".

"He...he's right, I g-got us into this m-mess," she mumbled. Then she gave a sudden scowl.

"He's still a j-jerk, anyway," she added. What right had he to push her around like that? She should have stood up to him! ...Then again, he probably would have pouunced on her. Raising her head, she gave another unsure glance to the other brown and red hatchling. It had remained quiet so far. Should she speak to it?

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Madness finally decided the argument was over and it was safe to speak up, but what to say? What did he say to Rim?

He didn't want to appear 'cowardly' because the black hatchling didn't like that, but he didn't want to be mean or unfriendly. Or childish! These hatchlings seemed a lot more... older, they wouldn't like him if he was noisy and annoying.

He still stood quietly, not sure how to put words together to sound bigger than he was.

user posted image

"They're somefwing, at the wery yeast," Venus replied with a mouthful of daises. They didn't exactly taste good, but they weren't bad either. They were something to eat and Venus's instincts drove her to eat more. Swallowing the chewed mash in her mouth, Venus crawled forward on her stomach and bit down onto several more flowers. She ripped the top half of the stem off and began chewing once more. Looking around, Venus realized just how peaceful everything here was. She could easily relax and enjoy herself as she ate.

This place is rather soothing. I'm not exactly sure I want to leave.

user posted image

Rim jumped when something touched him, tripping up in surprise. His face almost met with the ground for a second time today, but he scrambled up in time, lashing his tail around to catch his balance. The opening of the cave was close, the light slightly blinding, but Rim turned his head and blinked at the hatchling behind him. His eyes widened as he recognized Madeline and he grinned happily, opening his mouth and speaking very quickly.

"Mmadelline, ywou heery! Ywou wasss gone, tthen heere, wwherey you go? Mmaddeness goone, lleefty to liightty, cooldn't find ywou! Ywou gone, ththen allll othters evereywherey but ywyou noot theere, but now ywou hereey!"

His excitement garbled up his words, making most of them incomprehensible, but he was happy that the Albino was back. The joyful hatchling swung his tail around and flared his fin open, not noticing that another hatchling was walking towards them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

user posted image

The hatchling tilted his head, blinking as the creature motioned towards the swirling gray thing. As the creature started towards it, the hatchling flicked his tail against the ground and followed after, going over the sounds it had made. The creature seemed nice and he wanted to stick with it. It was the only one that had taken notice of him and he naturally wanted to be close to something that seemed safe. Raising his head up high, the hatchling let out a shrill trill, a whistle almost. Being around someone made him feel happy, and the scent got thicker as he trotted after the other hatchling.

user posted image

Madeline smiled. "I think I was hiding! But I don't know. I went blank in the corner." She said, still smiling. It was then that another hatchling stepped towards them. She looked remarkably similar to herself. It was her sister!!! She let out a rather loud squeal and went over and hugged her. "I found her!" She said, not really talking to anyone but herself. She sat back, grinning at Noelle and Rim.

user posted image

Noelle walked over and sighed. They were just friends. There wasn't any danger, so she started to turn away to go find Madila and Sparkly. As she was leaving, the other swallowtail squealed and gave her a strong hug. It startled her, but she didn't pull away. Something inside of her told her that this was okay and natural. Some kind of connection between them. It was her instincts, telling her that this was her flesh and blood. Her sister. She turned around to face her, not quite understanding, but still accepting. "You're my sister, aren't you?"

user posted image

’nk you!” Thea responded, happily joining in as Dream Dell bounded about in excitement. After a few minutes the merriment tailed off naturally, and Thea, still giggling a little, padded back to the water’s edge for another small drink. As she did so, she contemplated the opposite bank. In truth, it was pretty much the same as the one she stood on, though it had a few more trees and bushes, but still…

I wish we could cross, she thought. She glanced up- and down-stream, looking for stepping stones or a shallower, fordable spot. There was nothing, but she caught a faint scent on the breeze. It smelled like… meat?

((Sorry, it's not a great post - not been terribly inspired lately. Anyway, I really hope this RP isn't going to die - it's been slowing way down. sad.gif ))

user posted image

Dream Dell wasn't really sure how to respond so she just shrugged and smiled back at Thea. She watched Thea as she stood by the water's edge. Thea seemed to be looking for something. Spotting her cloud, Dream Dell jumped onto it, rolling over in its wonderful fluffiness, and floated over beside Thea.

"S-s-oooo...whatcha l-lookin' f-for?" she grinned, curious.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

user posted image

Th-think I smellll… m-meat.” Thea replied, somewhat distractedly. She raised her head, trying to get a stronger fix on the scent. It was meat, definitely. As the breeze picked up a little, she was also able to detect the smells of several dragons mixed in with it. Excited, she turned to Dream Dell.

O-o-therr dragons! Fr-fr-friends! F-food!” she exclaimed.

user posted image

Rim nodded happily, not really understanding how Madeline could 'blank in a corner' but not pressing for a better answer. Before he could say or do anything else, another hatchling appeared. Rim couldn't help but noticed how his albino friend looked so similar to the newcomer, and was surprised at how Madeline acted. She acted like this new hatchling was familiar and, while the other hatchling sounded slightly confused, the Purple Dorsal hatchling decided that the both of them were friends.

Which made Rim want to be friends with the other dragon as well.

Flaring his fin up and wearing a goofy grin, Rim leaped next to the two hatchlings and tried to hug both of them at the same time. He opened his mouth and spoke quickly, looking at both of the hatchlings.

"Mmadieliiness friiend bie my friend! Wwe all friendss!"

Madlia smiled. She liked it when she was happy, and being around others that were happy made her happy, so she concluded that she liked being around others. Walking quickly to the river, Madlia dropped her head down to take and drink from the stream, but before she did, she said, w-watch this! You c-can drink from the w-water, if you're careful. Dipping her head down, Madlia took a cautious sip from the stream, being careful to not inhale while drinking. Standing back up, she motioned for the other to take a sip.

~~~~~

Mouse. Grass. Swishing tail. This was what mattered to Calearn, nothing else. Lowering his body, Calearn waited for the mouse to get within his reach, then lunged. The mouse uttered a high-pitched wail, and then died. It wasn't loud, but it was enough that the other mice knew to hide. Muttering under his breath, Calearn gutted and ate the stringy meat from the mouse. He felt full for the moment, but knew that he'd find no more mice, and that even if he did he wouldn't be able to survive on them alone. I need larger prey, but I can't take them down alone. As much as I hate to admit it, I need help. This sucks. Sighing, Calearn began walking back to the cave to look for help that wouldn't talk back and could fight well.

user posted image

Tilting his head at the creatures words, the hatchling watched as it got interested in the moving gray thing. The realization of what it was doing was sudden and he blinked a few times, a little shocked at the suddenness of the thought. He knew what the creature was doing was called 'drinking' and he understood that it was important.

Tapping his tail against the ground lightly, he watched as the creature back up and gestured towards the gray thing. After a second, he walked hesitantly up to the side of it, the tiny spike things that he was standing on disappearing when they reached the gray thing.

A...It is....A....Stream? Yes? No? Water?...What?

Making a soft sound as he stared at the rushing gray stuff, he cautiously stuck a claw into it. And then immediately drew it back, shaking his clawed hand in a mix of curiosity and fear. It had bite him somehow!

...or maybe it didn't. There was no mark, just his claw being damp and cold. Absentmindedly flicking his hand again, the hatchling turned his attention to the--water, was it?--and leaned his face forward.

That just got his snout cold, as well as made his breathing stuck. Jerking his head back and staring at the water, he blew out through his nose and flicked his tongue out to touch his wet snout. Like what had happened with his claw, there was 'water' stuck on his snout, but they fell away easily. His tongue grew cold touching the stuff, but...

Oh, this important! Water and....stream?...is important for....mmmmm...

Remembering back to what the creature had down, he carefully dipped his head down so that his mouth was in the water but his nostrils were above it. Hesitating for a second, he experimentally opened his mouth.

The next bit was more instinctive and he just went with the flow of taking the water and swallowing it. After a few seconds of this, he withdrew his head, dripping wet, and stared at the 'stream' before looking back at the creature in a mix of small confusion and a little curiosity, a little cooing sound escaping his throat..

user posted image

Noelle stepped back a little Shen the dorsal came up and hugged the both of them. This dragon seemed friendly enough- he was only hugging. She smiled at him. "I'm noelle. Who are you?" she asked. He was kind of small, but still bigger than her sister. Noelle was surprised at how Madeline was compared to her. At least half the size of herself.