nicknick88

Phillosophy

You expected an answer to an admittedly trick question? I wasn't sure from your wording whether or not you were being rhetorical.

Yes, I sort of did. Haven't you answered questions from me before? (Actually, you might not have now that I think about it.)

To a certain extent that can depend on how you are defining the phrase "understand me.".

If you mean "understand what truly makes me tick as a person." then, yeah, for most people there are very few people that understand them deeply that way. There's very little that you can do to change that in people except spend a lot of time actually *with* them, talking to them.

If, on the other hand, you mean "comprehend what my words mean." then that is an issue with your communication. Learning to express yourself better will lead to people comprehending your meaning more. At least within the realms of their own capabilities of doing so.

Both. When speaking about philosophical issues, my words are spoken directly from my "heart". Well, actually, that's a lie. I rarely speak from my own point of view, no one ever understands my opinions.

I shall try to explain a bit though.

All my opinions and philosophies balance and counteract each other, it's very delicate. Drastically reposition or topple one view and they all come crashing down. This doesn't mean I am incapable of changing my views, it simply means that a drastic change from the current position will break everything. That pretty much describes everything about me. My mental state, my opinions, my religious beliefs, etc. And all of these are intertwined and hold each other together also.

Yes, I sort of did. Haven't you answered questions from me before? (Actually, you might not have now that I think about it.)

Certainly not any that have come across rhetorically like that, no.

In answer - no. No one person's opinion is any less valid than that of another person.

Both. When speaking about philosophical issues, my words are spoken directly from my "heart". Well, actually, that's a lie. I rarely speak from my own point of view, no one ever understands my opinions.

Perhaps you would find you did better if you *did* try to explain your own opinions, rather than attempting to discuss from a point of view you do not actually hold. If you start from the view that no one *can* understand you, then no one ever will. It's up to you to help others understand where you are coming from, and what you are trying to say. And in order to achieve that you first have to start expressing what *you* think. Not what someone else thinks, or ever what someone else thinks you should think - what you think, you believe, inside. Only by sharing those thoughts can understanding begin to happen.

Although occasionally re-wording may be required, in order to make sure someone has heard what you meant.

"I know you think you understand what I said, but I am not sure you understand that what you thought you heard was not what I meant." - a sentance to perhaps ponder when you feel people do not understand you. Are they hearing what you are meaning, or do you need to use different words so they can hear what you actually mean?

I shall try to explain a bit though.

All my opinions and philosophies balance and counteract each other, it's very delicate. Drastically reposition or topple one view and they all come crashing down. This doesn't mean I am incapable of changing my views, it simply means that a drastic change from the current position will break everything. That pretty much describes everything about me. My mental state, my opinions, my religious beliefs, etc. And all of these are intertwined and hold each other together also.

In my experience that's actually true of a lot of people. There are very few people on this planet who do not hold some kind of dichotomous view point on at least one subject (for myself, I both inherantly believe that people have the right to self determination, while at the same time believing that most people are too idiotic to be left unattented - hence my taking a libertarian stand point on some issues, and a regulatory standpoint on others). People are incredibly complex beings, and at our cores we are not 100% logical.

Edit: Oooh. Wow. I normally only get this existential when I've been drinking. It's interesting to read my typing it sober.

Edited by TikindiDragon

Certainly not any that have come across rhetorically like that, no.

Hmm. It was not meant to come across as rhetorical. But if you've answered a question from me you've answered a question that was admittedly a trick. (Well, if it was philosophical.)

If you start from the view that no one *can* understand you, then no one ever will.

I don't believe it's impossible to understand me, I know from experience that no one ever does. (Some very recent.) I've tried many times to be clear. But see, even when speaking from my own point of view I contradict myself. My views hold that my views must always be in question. I can never simply believe anything, it must be analyzed and tested to be true before it can be considered so; and if in the future it is shown to be untrue, then my view must change. thus my views always seem to be in limbo, I often say things that contradict each other within the same sentence. So while I believe I am right, I know that I could find myself wrong tomorrow.

I don't believe it's impossible to understand me, I know from experience that no one ever does. (Some very recent.) I've tried many times to be clear. But see, even when speaking from my own point of view I contradict myself. My views hold that my views must always be in question. I can never simply believe anything, it must be analyzed and tested to be true before it can be considered so; and if in the future it is shown to be untrue, then my view must change. thus my views always seem to be in limbo, I often say things that contradict each other within the same sentence. So while I believe I am right, I know that I could find myself wrong tomorrow.

Bolding mine.

This is, perhaps, the crux of the point I am trying to make. Not everything in life is possible to analyse and test. If one deals *only* with what is analysable and testable then one does not actually have all of the information at one's disposal. Things such as emotion play a vital part in all of one's interactions, and yet one cannot test for them reliably.

"... take the Universe and grind it down to the finest powder and sieve it through the finest sieve and then show me one atom of justice, one molecule of mercy."

These are the sorts of thing that are based entirely on perception, on life experience. What is something to one man may not be the same thing to another.

That was a vital shift in world view for me. Because, like you, I figured that everything had to be logical, scientific, and testable. It was only in realising that it wasn't, and in learning to adapt to the idea that I might not know everything - and that it didn't matter if I didn't - that I actually found myself becoming more comfortable and stable.

I still analyse. I probably over analyse, to be honest, but in becoming less didactic I have become more approachable - and, in truth, more understood.

Edit to add: And, in being over analytical, I'd say I suspect you use attempts to confuse and confound people as a defence mechanism to keep them at arms length.

Edited by TikindiDragon

Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask is a trick. You will find no truth in me.

And, in being over analytical, I'd say I suspect you use attempts to confuse and confound people as a defence mechanism to keep them at arms length.

Hmm? Why would I keep people at arms length? People avoid me, they've been avoiding me since I got past the age where moms make kids play together. I have no reason to push others away, they leave on their own.

I'm still trying to form my response to the rest into words.

EDIT: This is very interesting and all, but I cannot continue. I need to stop before I do something regretful. Especially since the only person I can blame is myself.

Out of control is just code for 'I don't want to admit I'm the kind of person who would do such things.' It's a lie.
Edited by MasterWeavile898

I kind of stick with ignorance is bliss, especially with my Catholic faith. The more I discover, the more likely I'm going to hell. And because of my upbringing, I know a lot, and often stay up at night wondering what will happen to me, or what the chances of being demonically possessed are. I will not go in death on how I find this to be true, unless someone challenged me, because I am about 45% sure you can tell what I mean.

1. It is best to leave some situations alone.

2a. Try to overcome your problems, no matter how long it takes.

2b. If you can't overcome something one way, do it another way.

3. Friends are better than enemies.

4. Things can be very different to one person than to another.

5. Things are not always what they seem.

6. "Speak softly, but carry a big stick; you will go far." -Theodore Roosevelt

Its a censor-word for b*tch

Oh.. blink.gif

So what does the saying "Fishes are bishes" mean?

This philosophy really only counts around Halloween, but if a kid comes to my house not wearing even an attempt at a costume they get no candy (no matter how mad my mom gets at me for it)

My thinking behind it is that if you were really into the spirit of Halloween than you would come up with something even if they had no money and it was last minute. Kids and teens that just show up in their normal clothes and can't tell me right away what their costume is don't deserve candy because they have no spirit for the holiday.

Last year there were two girls that were wearing normal looking clothes, but they were still costumes. One was Tuesday from the Adam's Family and another was a really dorky geeky girl with thick glasses and suspenders. They were awesome and I gave them extra candy. Awesome costumes get extra candy.

Edited by Cecona

It pays to look at things a different way from time to time, you miss crap otherwise.

Don't try to pet deer.

If you see someone screaming angrily in your direction, do not scream back. That gets you nowhere. Talk softly to force them to eventually listen to what you have to say. As they get quieter, you get quieter until they completely stop. Only then do you speak normally.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Can be useful in RTS games.

^I like this guy

When chewing someone out, do it in an informative manner. People won't improve if you don't tell them how.

I translate my philosophies into phrases.

My currently uttered phrases that will be engraved in stone at my world hall of fame induction day in 2065:

- I did not, but I did as well.

- They only booed me because they wanted to cheer for me.

- Taking life carelessly is like pulling on the tail of a chimp. Chimps don't have tails.

- So that's how you - HOW DID ALL THOSE GUYS JUST DIE?!

- Silence is when we do our loudest thinking.

- I gave him a little kissy-kissy there.

- Turn down this room's volume.

Some of mine:

• Fake it 'til you make it
  • Kill 'em with kindness
  • An ugly truth is better than a beautiful lie
  • Always smile; people notice

One I just remembered that I use rather often: Just smile and nod.

Listen to your gut and your instincts, always. In my world, that's the One talking. You won't go wrong.

If you meet people that are predators, takers, abusers, and losers and they do nothing but make you feel like censorkip.gif, kick them out of your world without another thought, and good riddance. And DNA be damned if they happen to be family.

Be a survivor, never a victim.

Don't allow others to define you. YOU define you.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Deal with it.

Stand up for yourself. If you don't, who will?

If you see wrong doing, STAND UP and DO something about it.

And Nick, don't sweat demonic possession. The devil isn't stupid. The second 'possession' started to happen, as in 'The Exorcist' type of possession, everybody and their brother would fall to their knees and worship the One. NOT what the devil wants. He's a whole lot smarter and more subtle than to resort to such obvious tactics. His tools tend to actually feel good, or so you believe...as in addiction to hard drugs, self destructive behavior, the lies of self doubt and negative thinking, hate and malice towards others, etc, etc, etc... Imo, those types of 'possession' are his area of expertise, and he gathers legions by the day. Avoid that mess and you avoid the devil. Simple as that in my world.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I just remembered my favorite:

Ah, screw it. Take matters into your own hands. (Though not immediately, that's what the next one is for.)

Give it time, it's likely to happen without your meddling.