Flamma

Instrema

Is this a good RP  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

((I'm not going to post right now because I'm getting tired and sloppy. I don't think I will be on for a good part of the day tomorrow, I can try in the morning but I might not be able to. You guys don't really have to wait for me to talk to Eal but I wouldn't mind if you did biggrin.gif Uhm, other than that I can't really think of anything. Night guys, rp with ya tomorrow!))

Zolan smiled to himself, half in pride and half in knowing that Illrea was a much better archer than he was, he stunk, but he wouldn't admit it. A she walked along the bridges Zolan realized how much he really did admire this little town. It was quite beautiful, with the dark shammy huts contrasting greatly with the crystal of the water, children running about and other small things made the town very cozy. When Mev spoke, part of him scampered off with the idea of never being in a certain part of a town. Not only had Zolan once known the town like the back of his hand, but now he knew the mountains and valleys just as well, if not better. Just to make Mev feel better he called back, "Don't worry, you aren't missing much, it's .. old over here, at best." To prove his point he tapped one of the posts in the bridge a bit, just so it would sway and sure enough the post cricked and shifted, stealing a chuckle from Zolan's throat. He could see Eal now, running ahead of the others he scampered over to the man. Surveying the horses he had out, he was probably bathing them, he said, "You've got a fine crop o' mares here Sir. But where are the males? Where are the tough horses?" He said it in a serious voice, waiting for Eal to turn around and realize who was actually talking to him. A smile started to quirk his lips and he let it, just a bit, and stood with his hands on his hips, waiting for the others.

"Hey Eal!" Illrea called racing to catch up with Zolan, "What is wrong with mares?" Illrea asked as she pulled up next to Zolan, "They can be just as good if not better than stallions." Illrea said petting one of the horses. "Eal do you still have that blue roan arabian?" Illrea asked turning to the shop keeper, "It's time Mev learned to ride."

Mev followed after the two and stood behind the two, looking at all the horses. "I don't really care what kind of horse I ride." He muttered, watching as the shop keeper brushed a horse down.

Some people will tell you that dwarves aren't real; that they live in stories and fables and cautionary tales about not wandering off into the deep, dark woods away from mummy and daddy. But across the tales, some things remain constant. Dwarves are small. Dwarves are strong. Dwarves are master smiths. Dwarves are smart. And a dwarf with a grudge is the most dangerous thing you will ever, ever meet.

They're wrong in one important respect; all those traits describe humanity in one way or another.

They all, however, describe the Peddler Dwarf, currently hunched over a set of plans in his workshop, the turn of the worlds in his head drowning out the metallic cacophony around him. His assistants, freed slaves all, were busily working on a series of improved siege weapons designed to take the fight to the Windles. Artillery was the answer to all their prayers, he knew. Infantry is the queen of war, yes, but artillery is the king of the battlefield, and everyone knows what the king does to the queen. The only problem was getting them there; the heavy iron balls they used as ammunition could never be packed as efficiently into an ox-drawn cart as he would have liked, which was why he was currently scrawling out ways to get them to where they needed to be faster. The torsion-spring arrangement for the designs of the siege weapons was finicky and far too unreliable (the day before an important demonstration to several high-ranking members of the tribe, a faulty mainspring had caused the weapon to rip itself apart, shredding a passing flock of geese in the process), so he was scribbling down some minor improvements to those as well. He was one of nature's scribblers, was the Peddler Dwarf. Always had been, always would be, up until his dying day.

"Milord Baluchi?"

He turned and saw a young face beside him; a long-honed eye told him that the boy was both eleven and already a bit taller than he was. "Yes, what is it, lad?"

The boy handed him a letter. "I were told to say as you had an appointment with the warriors now."

"Eh? But that's supposed to be two weeks away, we've not got anything new for 'em-"

"They said it's a surprise inspection, milord. I just do as I'm told, like. Please don't do summat dreadful to me, milord, me da's been dead for a year an' we've no coin save what I bring 'ome, please, sir, don't let 'em-"

"Hush, lad. Here." He handed the boy a small wooden box. "You seem a smart young man. Inside that box is a brace of gold coins. Figure out how to get 'em into yer hand and you can keep 'em."

The boy struggled with the box for a minute or two, slim fingers and haggard nails examining every seam. Baluchi watched him work at it, before the boy suddenly twigged and picked up a hammer from the workbench. The balsa wood splintered and the coins disappeared into an unspeakably grimy pocket quick as a wink.

"Hehe, there's not many that get it first go. Run along, lad, and I'll see you here on the morrow. Give your name to the man at the desk on the way out." With that, the boy scampered off, leaving Baluchi to ponder the inner workings of a strange and terrible machine some more on an oxcart to the warriors in question. Williana and Eshika, their names were. Honestly, the fad among young people for names like that. What was wrong with a good, solid, traditional girl's name like Arnold? Or Fred? You never saw a Fred nowadays, it was all just names you got when the alphabet sneezed. He shook his head and tutted, because the fate of the old is to shake their heads and tut, and they drove on, the armless bows in the carriage behind them.

((Hope y'all don't mind if I voice Eal here..))

Zolan's quirked lips formed a smile when Illrea asked him what was wrong with mares, laughing a bit he said, "Nothing is wrong with mares, they sure can be tough when they need to be. But a nag would never truly beat a stallion, isn't that right Eal." Zolan secretly knew that Eal preferred a couple of working mares o a stallion, though he probably wouldn't admit to it. Letting out a deep, worn laugh he said, "No, no, do not try to drag me into a squabble between you two, you kids never know when to quit." Straightening up he tossed the brush in his hand into a rusty metal bucket and, with a grin on his face, he stuck out his hand and said, "Nice to see you Zolan, it's been too long." Zolan stuck his hand out and shook Eal's with vigor, "Yes it really has." Eal then turned to Illrea and said, "Yeap, I still have her out there in the back of my field. If this fella is the one that will be riding her, he should fetch her, get used to her," to Mev he asked, 'How bout it?" Zolan looked at Mev and smiled encouragingly, you couldn't say no to Eal, that was like an unspoken rule.

((That's fine!))

"Good!" Illrea exclaimed pulling Mev forward, "We also need tack. I'll go help Mev find the right horse." As she said this Illrea winked at Mev and gave him an apple, "Come on I know you'll love her!" Quickly walking out on the edge of the pasture Illrea towed Mev with her fast steps, excited. As they got close to the mare Illrea slowed down and ducked under the fence surrounding the field, "Hey girl." she called quietly, "I brought someone to see you."

Mev got pulled after Illrea and looked at the apple in his hands. "Do horses like apples?" He asked her, ducking underneath the fence to stand besides her. "Um, hello." He said to the horse, reaching out to pet her nose. The mare nickered and moved her head so Mev touched her nose, making him smile. Edited by littlelizzie

((Sorry yes he is back with Zolan and Eal biggrin.gif ))

"Most horses LOVE apples." Illrea said to Mev, "Let her eat it out of your palm." Illrea said petting the horse's silky nose, "Like this." Fishing around in her pocket Illrea brought out a mint. Holding her hand flat with the mint in the middle of her palm Illrea held out her hand as the mare licked up the sweet. Giggling Illrea turned to Mev, "Your turn! Make sure your hand is completely flat."

Edited by Raven301

Mev looked at the mare and held his hand out flat to the horse, letting it sniff the apple. The horse took a bite out of the apple, biting it completley in half, than took another bite and finished it. Mev stared at the horse and then looked at Illrea, smiling. "She ate it in only two bites. That's impressive." He said, petting her neck.

"Most horses do that." Illrea said laughing as she drew a lead rope from a bag she had brought with them, "This is how you lead a horse." Illrea said clipping the lead rope on, "Hold the lead rope about 2-3 ft away from the horse and don't wrap your hand in it. To ask the horse to go forward, face the way you want to go, bring your right hand slightly forward and click your tongue." As she said this Illrea demonstrated and they started slowly forward, "To stop say 'whoa' and bring the rope taut." Again Illrea demonstrated. "To ask the horse to turn, face the way you want to go and bring you right hand slightly in that direction. Keep in mind that it is hard for horses to perform sharp turns so give them lots of space." Illrea said bringing the mare in a wide circle, "You think you got it?"

Mev nodded. "I think so." He took the rope from Illrea and turned to where Zolan and Eal were at, looking around for the gate to outside the pasture. "So I click my tongue and she follows?" He asked, looking at Illrea.

"Yup, and if she spooks just let go." Illrea said, "I highly doubt she will but if you don't let go she will drag you and you could get seriously injured. Never forget you are working with an animal much larger and stronger than you."

Zolan grew cheery as he watched the two run off into the field. He eyed them curiously, petting Durquez's neck, trying to see what Illrea was teaching Mev. It looked like she was teaching him to lead, and doing a fine job. As much as Zolan teased her, Illrea was good at a lot of things and shouldn't be undermined. She was an extremely talented painter and crafter. Perhaps, she would be able to help Zolan with his bow techniques, he wanted to be able to ride and shoot simultaneously. Then, no matter what the upcoming war threw at him, he would be ready.

"Okay." Mev said, looking up at the mare. "What should I call her?" He asked, turning to face the gate. He clicked his tongue and she followed after him, making him smile. "What else do horses like to eat?" He asked Illrea, turning right slowly.

"I actually don't know her name." Illrea told Mev as they walked back to Eal and Zolan, "You can ask Eal. Every horse likes different treats while some might like sugar cubes other may like carrots, but a safe bet is usually apples, carrots, sugar cubes or pepermints." Illrea explained as they reached Eal and Zolan. Walking over to Durquez Illrea stroked his muzzle and murmured in his ear, "Good boy, here you go." while giving him a mint.

Mev nodded again and looked at Eal, "What's her name?" He asked, stroking the mares nose. "She's really pretty." He added with a small smile, looking at Zolan and Illrea.

Zolan looked up as the two approached, now leading the mare. "She really is a nice girl, isn't she?" he murmured. But Eal didn't reply, only giving Zolan a knowing look before chuckling a bit to himself. Zolan didn't understand what he was doing until he realized, he had been looking at Illrea as he said it, he hadn't meant that! He couldn't do anything now though, they were already standing there. He crossed his arms and huffed like an irritated little boy, only kind of smiling back at Mev. Zolan looked sort of at the ground as Eal replied, "Her name's Aela, in respect of my wife. She's pretty like my wife was too. Are you kids gonna bring her back or are you thinking of buyin' er up?" Zolan looked up, kind of shocked that Eal had even suggested selling a horse who obviously reminded him so much of his wife. He looked to Illrea with a confused look in his eye, he didn't know what to say.

"Unless Mev has some hidden money somewhere, we can't afford her." Illrea said after a minute of silence, she too had been as shocked as Zolan. "Do you have some tack we could borrow?" she asked wondering why Zolan was suddenly pouting, "We'll bring her back by sunset." Illrea said as she stroked Durquez's nose. As Eal took Aela Illrea turned to Zolan, "Why are you in such a bad mood all of a sudden?" Edited by Raven301

((Uh, is anyone playing a Brome here? If so, could they, um, respond to the post I made? Might be nice...))

The covered wagon made slow progress, which Baluchi liked more than he cared to admit. Of course, he put on a show of being a cantankerous old fart because it was expected of an Elder, and frankly it meant he could be as rude as he pleased to people he didn't like and they just sat there and took it, but really he was a rather placid sort. The glacier-like pace of the journey, caused by traffic in the market district, gave him time to think and tinker with a little whirligig, which he resolved to give to the first interesting young person he saw.

He eventually found one, although the lad was clearly a lot older than usual. Idly, the Peddler Dwarf wondered if he'd accept the gift as such - he looked to be in his early teens, from the height of him, and that was always a tricky age to deal with. Maturity was both misunderstood and in short supply, and was therefore the most precious commodity a young man could get his hands on; his stock could be diminished were he to get a toy from the beardy baldy half-man who handed them out to little kids. He had to play this one carefully...

Then he grinned. Or not.

"Howay, there, lad! I've seen you around these parts before... Eupheon, yes? Got a problem and you seem bright, so I reckon as you might help an old man in his dotage." As he spoke, the cart rumbled to a halt, to the quiet and eternal despair of the driver. "Believe you me, you'll like as not be perfect."

"Alright." Ki said walking over to the cart, "What's your problem?" he asked, eyes sparkling with the hope for a challenge.

((Wow that was short!))

Edited by Raven301

Zolan's eyes turned embarrassed when Illrea noticed his mood. He wouldn't dare tell her what had actually happened, he didn't really even know himself, so he just shrugged. Wrapping his hand around her elbow he tugged her away while the others were busy with the horse. In a hush voice he said, "You know, I could buy Aela, I've got money with me, or I could trade it for work, it's no problem." He wasn't normally foolish with his money, but how could this even be considered foolish? He was doing a good deed for someone else, surely his family would be proud of that. He let his hand slide down her bare arm, his fingertips resting on her own for a moment before pulling his hand away. He smiled sheepishly at her and crossed his arms, turning back into his normally playful self he bellowed, "Of course you would owe me!" He winked playfully at her and his eyes almost instantly darted to the other two and the horse, suddenly, he just couldn't look at her.