Fellioness

What kinds of animals have you caught?

Lizards

Butterflies (I've even stolen and hatched butterfly eggs!)

Frogs (And frog spawn! biggrin.gif )

Moths

Snakes

Salamanders

Snails

Slugs

Ants

Ladybugs

And...teachers! xd.png yeah, I "caught" my logic teacher today wink.gif

Nowadays, the only things I manage to catch are garter snakes....by the dozens, it seems xd.png not counting when I have to rescue a poor snake from an inquisitive cat or our dog, neither of which are very gentle with them.

I used to catch butterflies all the time, but that pretty much ended when I lost my net...

turtles are kind of fun to catch sometimes too, but only if they are released right away. For slow, plodding creatures, they sure are strong! blink.gif

I don't remember catching anything else 'cept for a snail in the garden, or tiny baby fish in the river-which were released tongue.gif. "Wildlife" tends to find me. I recall saving injured birds, hedgehogs (spelling?), lizards...and my parents always fussing about me bringing them home. When I was still living at my parents' place I remember 'busting' a family of hedgehogs eating my cats dry food. xd.png Nothing's changed since I was a kid; I still try to help injured animals when/if I can. (you know you're a bit 'special', when wild birds try to land on you and have zero fear when you're around. Ok maybe they keep their distance a bit when the cat is with me, but otherwise...I think their plotting to use my head as scouting grounds. Pffft! Like there aren't enough trees around!)

Edit: forgot to add all sorts of bugs to it. There was only one time when I was sorry for 'catching' anything. I stepped straight into ants nest while on a walk in the forrest. It was summer so you can imagine the footwear of a 8 year old kid. Did not like that.

Edited by Biancathewolf

I used to catch fireflies and caterpillars when I was little. Boredom at work has had me catching fireflies again when they fly into the game stands. I've also "caught" a snake once, though it was a few friends and I cutting it loose from some netting it had tangled itself in. :c Had to catch a chipmunk once when one of our cats brought it inside still alive and it got loose in the house.

When I was little, my dad always took me to a small pond in spring where I caught tadpoles with my bare hands. xd.png We put them a jar with water and a little sand from the same pond and took them home, where I watched them grow in our largest glass salad bowl. A few weeks later when they started growing legs we released them in the pond where they came from.

Caught a baby raccoon once that was wandering around in the daylight (scooped it up into a bucket). We took it home and kept it under a laundry basket with a weight on it outside on our back porch for a week or so until we could find someone to rehabilitate it. It was actually a good thing we nabbed it as it had distemper that we were able to get cured instead of it spreading to other animals.

Caught a painted turtle in a creek and kept it as a pet for awhile until my mom complained that his tank stunk so I took him back to the creek and let him go (he was a small guy).

Then, of course, summer lightning bugs. biggrin.gif

Well, I didn't actually 'catch' it, but years ago a neighbor brought over a naked, new hatched baby bird that she found in her flower bed. It didn't even have it's eyes open yet. I had just read this book called 'Arnie The Darling Starling' a few weeks before and took advice from there because I had no clue what to do with this ugly little bird. lol

I put the bird on some soft cloths in a small box under a warm lamp. I fed it worms and bugs I squished up(that was kind of gross), raw hamburger, bits of fruits, gave it OJ with an eye dropper...and it thrived. It was a tame bird when it got older, but it knew what was up when I took it outside. It took to the great outdoors with no problem, unlike poor Arnie in the book. lol I didn't name it or get attached to it because I knew it had to go, but, and this is so cool, it would return every night and sit close by us on the porch. We loved that. It was great until the neighbor was visiting one day and brought her dachshund, who made a grab for the bird when it flew down and landed on the back of a chair, and managed to snap a couple of tail feathers. dry.gif It never came back after that, but at least it survived and flew off, probably very wary of dogs, which is a good thing. I like to think it went on to live a normal bird's life. Oh, it turned out to be a robin. smile.gif

Edited by MedievalMystic

Just today, I was looking underneath of the big maple tree outside of my mom's salon, and you won't believe what was there.

A baby robin.

It was so young! It had little tufts of feathers stuck on it, and I could see its belly(which was HUGE compared to its head) and its eyes weren't even open! My mom wouldn't let me care for it, sadly. I left it under the tree, hoping the mother bird would come along and save it.

My heart broke at that moment.

Just today, I was looking underneath of the big maple tree outside of my mom's salon, and you won't believe what was there.

A baby robin.

It was so young! It had little tufts of feathers stuck on it, and I could see its belly(which was HUGE compared to its head) and its eyes weren't even open! My mom wouldn't let me care for it, sadly. I left it under the tree, hoping the mother bird would come along and save it.

My heart broke at that moment.

If it's eyes weren't open and it was mostly bald, it probably fell out of the nest. It would have been best to try and put it back in the nest if you could find it.

At our trailer we catch Frogs, toads, fish, turtles and crayfish. We always release them back into the creek where we caught them.

I remember once a golf cart ran over a turtle on the road in front of out trailer lot. My dad went to go get it and he ended up running after it (they're pretty fast when they want to be). It hissed and was constantly trying to bite us, but it eventually calmed down enough to accept some veggies we offered it. We released it into the creek about an hour after we found him.

If it's eyes weren't open and it was mostly bald, it probably fell out of the nest. It would have been best to try and put it back in the nest if you could find it.

Seriously, I tried to climb the tree. I could see the nest, but not reach it. I have almost no good experience in climbing trees, so that wasn't an option. Getting a ladder wasn't, either.

On topic:

I also caught a big black butterfly today.

I loved catching things when I was a kid. It was so much fun. I never kept them, but I would hold onto them long enough to show my mom and then let it go.

I've caught:

Grasshoppers

Lizards (those are fun!)

frogs

ladybugs (catch me. they're always landing on me.)

caught a kitten once. she was out in the rain, alone and getting soaked while her mother was safe and dry inside. Little one wasn't looking and I snatched her up because she would have run otherwise. I felt bad for scaring her, but she was fine after a few minutes.

I still catch the odd lizard whenever one gets into the house. But then I put it outside so my cats don't catch it and eat it.

Edited by Syiren

I usually like to put bird food outside my window,and I like to see the birds eating it.Some weeks ago,a bird got mistakenly on my room and couldn't get out.I had to wrap a towel around it,and let it go outside.The same bird has came to eat here very often.Apart from that,I haven't caught any other animals.

When I was a kid we had this stream behind our house and almost every day I would go scouting to see what I could find....and at the end pf the day Id bring all the critters ho

e to my dad in an easter basket. Usually Id find tons of little crayfish and I was afraid of the big ones because of their claws, but Id trick them into attacking sticks and use it to plop them into the basket. Some days Id chase frogs, toads and baby snakes. I knew which ones not to catch because my grandpa had taught me they were venomous. But I remember specifically one day in which I was following a very small frog which tried to escape me by disappearing under a large rock. I upturned the large rock in search of the tiny frog and holy crap I had stumbled upon the biggest frog I have ever seen. I grambbed him with both hands and plopped him into the basket but he didnt fit....so I proceeded to carry him like a cat in my arms up to our house. My mom came out and the frog made a very loud angry sound at which point Mom screamed and demanded I take him back...so I put him back under his rock and let him be.

Aside from that...I was very adept at catching small lizards as well.

When I was a kid we had this stream behind our house and almost every day I would go scouting to see what I could find....and at the end pf the day Id bring all the critters ho

e to my dad in an easter basket. Usually Id find tons of little crayfish and I was afraid of the big ones because of their claws, but Id trick them into attacking sticks and use it to plop them into the basket. Some days Id chase frogs, toads and baby snakes. I knew which ones not to catch because my grandpa had taught me they were venomous. But I remember specifically one day in which I was following a very small frog which tried to escape me by disappearing under a large rock. I upturned the large rock in search of the tiny frog and holy crap I had stumbled upon the biggest frog I have ever seen. I grambbed him with both hands and plopped him into the basket but he didnt fit....so I proceeded to carry him like a cat in my arms up to our house. My mom came out and the frog made a very loud angry sound at which point Mom screamed and demanded I take him back...so I put him back under his rock and let him be.

Aside from that...I was very adept at catching small lizards as well.

And this one time my dog brought me a baby rabbit in her mouth. She hadnt hurt it yet....though Ive no doubt she intended to eat it. I confiscated it and unfortunately I was unable to mother it adequately. sad.gif

Once a very vocal baby bunny fell into our window well, so we gave it a boost out. Then our dachshund caught it in her mouth, but we managed to get it out and put it in a bush nearby...

Once a very vocal baby bunny fell into our window well, so we gave it a boost out. Then our dachshund caught it in her mouth, but we managed to get it out and put it in a bush nearby...

I considered that but I was afraid its mother wouldnt find it. sad.gif

By hand I used to catch skippers, flies, and catarpillars. And once or twice a lizard. With cups I catch spiders sometimes to take them out of the house so my family won't kill them.

Once we found a baby bird on the ground. I think we put it in a cup because we were afraid to touch it.. But I don't remember what we did afterwards. I think we just kind of left it there and hoped for the best.

Edit: But that was all when I was young and didn't know any better, now I prefer to just watch them.

Edited by alupe99a

I like to catch lizards, snakes, certain insects/spiders, and basically things I'm not absolutely terrified of.

Grasshoppers, beetles, butterflies, LADYBUGS... gosh ladybugs, I love the feeling of them crawling all over my hands.

One tame dragonfly which didn't mind sitting on my finger, perhaps thinking it was a twig.

One baby sand lizard.

I think I held a frog in my hands once too.

Also one spider I've spotted in my house. Grabbed it with bare fingers. since it was tiny and harmless. And oddly adorable.

I'm an entomologist, so part of the typical job description is catching insects.

When I was a kid, I brought home a toad in my lunchbox once. My mum was a very patient woman. xd.png

I've caught a lot of animals, and had a few 'catch' me. Butterflies, bees, mantises, fish, frogs, toads, goslings, fully grown geese...but the ones that most stick with me are the ones where I wasn't trying to catch them. At my first house growing up, I had a family of chickadees use me as a perch while the babies were learning to fly. It was an incredible experience! They didn't seem afraid of me at all, and the parents were only distressed for a few seconds when I picked up a fallen baby and put it back on my head where they were. After that it sort of became a game that if a baby fell, I'd put it back.

The second really amazing experience was at my second house, the summer before my family kicked me out. I was very stressed and scared about my future because things were getting bad at the homefront. I went outside for a walk in the woods so I could have some private time with just myself and the gods, eventually sitting down to cry. A fawn stepped out of the brush and came up to me, its mom standing nervously a bit off. It laid itself next to me and put its head in my lap and I had this sense of "It's going to be okay" coming off of it. It stayed like that for probably ten minutes before getting up and trotting off with its mom.

I know both of these sound totally bogus, and it's cool if y'all don't believe me.