Rarek

The Skies of Rain Handbook ~ OOC Thread

Sounds like a plan! And Derek has more survival experience than the rest of the charries combined, so he's a good candidate to find the water (and possibly know how to make it safe for drinking).

There's a couple of things I'm thinking as to how to find and maybe clean water, and it's these options that seem the most simple and possible for our characters:

-Hollow bamboo water (quite clean, hard to find because needs old, hollow bamboo)

OR

-Dirty puddle of water (needs to be filtered, but can be easily filtered with a gypsy filter*)

*Gypsy filters are simple - you dig a small hole into the ground near a large puddle and then let the soil and sand to filter the liquid. Whilst the first batch is still dirty, removing it and waiting once again will produce clean and safe to drink water.

Alternatively, they could use a simple filter straw to drink from a contaminated source and still get away with mostly clean water, though the risk is slightly higher because straws made in the wild are less effective than the ones used by the military and survivalists.

Edited by SkullKrusher

I think either would be fine, but the first does rely on us finding bamboo (which *does* grow in the amazonian rainforest in theory). Since Derek is most likely to find water and/or know how to filter it (since he has been in survival situations before), I'm fine with you deciding.

http://projectsproxy.internaldrive.com/201.../web/index.html

In that link, the third image down and the caption below it tells you that there is indeed bamboo in the Amazon. We can assume that bamboo is a mild source of water. Naturally however, anything you eat is usually not a significant source of liquid that is an adequate substitute for drinkable liquid, so our travelers will also need some of that too.

Uh...*cough*....bump? I think either Derek or Feliceia would be good to post about now.

Oh, sorry about that. I can't post now but i will in the morning.

Looks like december is a busy month happy.gif. Bumping this in case anyone had intended to post, but simply forgot.

Happy Holidays!

Happy holidays!

I'm still here. I've had a horrible case of writer's block though so if i post anytime soon it might be short.

What if we do a timeskip of a few days? Under the assumption that they found water in some hollow bamboo, they could heal up a bit and move deeper into the jungle. Then Rarek could run a plot event?

I'm okay with that. I do apologize for neglecting this, had a lot on my plate for a while.

I'm okay with that. I do apologize for neglecting this, had a lot on my plate for a while.

That's okay. I hope things are easier for you now?

Re the timeskip - do you want to make the first post (when/if you have time) with all of us at the new location? That way you can set the scene.

Sidenote: I'm re-watching Off the Map, which was part of my inspiration for Karrin. So I'm ready to continue this RP smile.gif.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

I can do that sure. I am considering however, restarting in three days time when I'll have access to an actual computer rather than just a phone. I like to make long posts for timeskips.

There is the possibility that I'll have time tonight though, so I'll see if I can put a post together by then.

So terribly sorry, people... Same as Rarek here, guys, had a huge amount of stuff planned from New Year's and I barely got any time to get in and check. I just managed to fully return a couple of days ago, and now that I saw activity here I decided to post. I'm up for the timeskip.

I am considering however, restarting in three days time when I'll have access to an actual computer rather than just a phone. I like to make long posts for timeskips.

Three days is fine by me - there's no hurry smile.gif.

Btw do you know if/when Lani's player is returning? If not, then the timeskip could be a good moment to sideline her character (the militia that Derek ran into is on our trail and Lani separated from the group in an effort to lure them away - that also leaves the door open for her to return at any time).

Lani's creator will not be returning to the RP, although I have enjoyed using the charrie myself. As I believe an engineer would benefit the story I think I'll continue with that so long as nobody has objections to Lani's presence. Should another engineer apply, Lani can always be nerfed from the RP at any time.

Besides, to use an analogy from my nerdy side, having expendable red shirts on hand can be a useful plot device smile.gif

Umm, guys, not to make you panic or anything but I seemingly cannot find our thread in the Other Roleplay Section. Maybe it was wiped by an admin?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it after setting the date back a couple of days. We should really bump the thread back up and restart. Who's willing to do the restart post after the timeskippy?

Edited by SkullKrusher

Who's willing to do the restart post after the timeskippy?

I think Rarek is cooking something up.

@ Rarek, I have no problems with you keeping Lani as second PC smile.gif

((I know what a bump is, not how to initiate one. <--- Suffers from permanent noobiness.))

And yeah I don't mind the wait.

Another question for the group, would you all prefer that I simply set a setting for the timeskip, or would you all allow me to write up a short synopsis of what happened during the skip? The second option would mean I would describe what your characters did during that time, and how it got them to that point. If nobody objects to the second option, I think I can create a much more interesting timeskip.

I've added the reboot post and one character post. I'd like for the waterfall to be heard after a couple posts each, just to settle into their current state of affairs.