Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

Shaya grimaced at the thought of more tea, but accepted nonetheless. She had accepted his offer of 'something stronger' earlier and it wouldn't do for the Chumyo to arrive at the Commanders' meeting drunk. (Not that she had gotten drunk since her exaltation, but it was the principle that counted.)

Somehow managing to sit upright and with a straight back despite the fluffy chair, she decided to get straight to the point.

"Commander, I came across a document containing delicate information about some of our officers. Given our plans for the vote, I thought I'd share it with you and let you decide how you want to handle it."

She handed him the papers, having kept her words as neutral as possible so she wouldn't influence his reaction. If this went well, they could continue with her being a Chosen of the Sun - after all, she could honestly say that High Command had known and approved - and then move on to Web being an Abyssal. If nothing else, it would be a memorable conversation for the Commander, she thought.

The Earth Exalt took the papers after pouring tea and sat down to read them. As more and more pages passed his hands, his eyebrows rose higher and higher. His expression remained neutral, however, and he finished reading without saying a single word.

He straightened the stack of paper and put them down in a neat pile. Then he put his hand on them and looked at Shaya. "Where did you get these? Is there any truth in these allegations against the other commanders? Sir."

It was noticeable that he asked about the other commanders, implying that there might be truth in his own transgression mentioned in the papers.

((Any ideas what his transgression might be? I was thinking a technical insubordination by refusing to follow a direct order from his superior officer... or is that too much against his nature?))

((I think it might be cool if Ran's transgression might be something that you wouldn't expect. Like an affair with his commanding officer's spouse when he was younger. After all, even grizzled old Earth Exalts were foolish once.))

Shaya resisted the urge to share a look with Web. She didn't want Ran to be alerted to the fact that something was up with her; not before they knew how he took the list. Instead, she decided to just take the plunge and answer truthfully.

"I got the list off ambassador Lenco. During their first visit with him, my associates discovered that he is not what he pretends to be. He is an Akuma who wants the position of Chumyo for his masters."

It occurred to her that Del Ran outing Lenco could solve one of their problems. It might obscure Web's 'betrayal' and Lenco's sentencing would likely be so swift that he'd have no time to reveal her regardless. So she added:

"Since you'll ask: yes, I have proof of that. If you say the words 'Black Heron at the edge of the pool of Wisdom' to him, he will reveal his true nature."

Allowing a moment to let that sink in, she went back to the Commander's question: "So when we returned here, I had one of my people search the ambassador's office and they found this list." Technically speaking, she hadn't 'had' Mia do anything, but the girl was part of her unit now, so that made Shaya responsible for her actions.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Del Ran listened to Shaya explain with an impassive expression. When she revealed Lenco to be an Akuma, his left eye twitched, his mouth showed disgust and a soft hiss escaped his lips. It was almost impossible to move mountains, yet Shaya had accomplished just that. It was clear that the commander detested Akuma.

He looked Shaya in the eye. "To summarize, Lenco is a traitor to Creation, who plans to blackmail the commanders of the Seventh with this list" He patted the stack of papers. "to become the new Chumyo. I will not stand for that. He will be stopped." The clipped tones of his statement revealed the Terrestrial's fury at the mere thought of the grave insult.

He shook his head. "Most transgressions aren't even worth mentioning, if it weren't for the fact that we are dealing with a position in the General Staff. Some however are indeed inexcusable. I am surprised the culprits are still wearing their commander uniforms." He added the last bit with a deep sigh of disappointment.

"Why did you come to me with this information? Sir."

"Why did you come to me with this information? Sir."

Shaya shrugged almost apologetically for putting all of this on Ran's plate.

"I intended to encourage the Commanders to disclose this information to each other, so everything is out in the open and we can start anew."

Her tone of voice made it clear that by 'encourage', she meant 'inform the Commanders that they could either come clean themselves, or she would do it for them.'

"The fall-out of such a full disclosure might be significant though, and it just occurred to me that I am no longer the Commanding Officer responsible for cleaning that particular mess."

Even though the disclosure itself might take place with Shaya as Chumyo, Del Ran (if Shaya had her way) would be the Chumyo responsible for handling the aftermath. So he should probably have a say in the matter.

She had noticed Del Ran's reaction to the news that Lenco was an Akuma and while she felt the same, she hoped he could be persuaded to leniency concerning herself and Web. Shaya intended to tell him about her own exaltation next - while 'Anathema' was bad, she figured 'Death Knight' was even worse. Best to stagger the news and see how it went.

((Takhesis, is Web simply observing for now, or are we posting too fast for you? I'm trying to leave enough time for you to post, but since I'm not sure what timezone you're in, my efforts at that might be failing (i.e. if I slow down when you're asleep).))

[Web is simply observing, plus she knows enough about military protocol not to speak unless spoken to. Or unless there's a problem.]

Web sipped at her tea, while Del Ran looked over the information.

The expected questions came - where they got the info and was it reliable?

Then the key part - Del Ran's reaction to Lenco being an Akuma. It seemed he was both enraged and disgusted - though the rage was supressed and only came out in his carefully-controlled tone.

That was good - at least the Earth Exalt wouldn't be easily swayed by anything Lenco would do or say due to the inherent hatred of Akuma. Though it was still debateable whether he'd grant her request for asylum, or at least be lenient with her for her mild 'deception'.

Del Ran looked at Shaya with renewed respect. "You are going to purge the high command and I will unify the remainder of the commanders under the banner of the new Chumyo. If everything goes to plan." He liked the simplicity of the idea. The proof that politics shouldn't be needlessly complicated and convoluted, but to the point and to the betterment of the Legion. "A sound strategy. I like it."

Now to the practical part. "You give each of us a chance to come forward with our transgressions, then? I'll be the first, if need be." He was thinking out loud. "Then the transgressions of the ones who haven't come forward will be revealed. Then Lenco. Taking him on any sooner and any less publicly will only make you seem like a tyrant and I a tyrant's favorite. We cannot have that." He was thoughtful for a moment. "It would probably be best if you called him out as Chumyo. Or, if I do it, it could be a good start of my candidacy." The old veteran was surprised how much his experience of several lifetimes as a strategist helped him in this political mire. Maybe he was getting the hang of it after all. "Your call. Sir."

"It would probably be best if you called him out as Chumyo. Or, if I do it, it could be a good start of my candidacy. (...) Your call. Sir."

This time Shaya couldn't help it as her eyes briefly flicked to Web. If someone other than she herself would out Lenco, that would go a long way in letting the Akuma believe that the Abyssal was still on his side and, therefore, still potentially useful.

"I think you should, Commander. It would give you a leg up in the vote if you're the one that stopped the Akuma." That was true, even if it was only half of her reasons.

"You should also be aware that Lenco doesn't know everything about everyone."

She paused, deliberately, to cue Del Ran in to the fact that she was talking about herself. Then she continued: "I am a Chosen of the Unconquered Sun. High Command was aware of that and approved, or at least saw no reason to dismiss me. They appointed Tinker - Iroh Sozin - as my 'guardian'."

Del Ran looked at the Chumyo in her White Jade armour, appraising her anew. "So the rumours were true then. A Solar has joined our ranks."

The Earth Exalt might not have been privvy to the secrets of the General Staff, but he had made many loyal friends in his long and successful career to know rumours of some of those secrets. He also knew most of the Exalts that had been on High Command enough to trust their judgement.

It must be difficult to come forward with this. he realised. The fact that she was willing to relinquish command to him was speaking in her favour and against what he had been told about the Anathema.

"Anything else I need to know? Now would be the time."

"Anything else I need to know? Now would be the time."

Shaya briefly made eye contact with Web. She herself thought that Commander Del Ran was taking all of this in stride, but she knew she lacked the social savy of Web. Did the Death Knight think the Earth Exalt could be told?

((Your call, Takhesis.))

[Okies - Web will speak up since it concerns her directly.]

Placing her cup down, Web caught Shaya's questioning glance. She knew what it meant, and so far the elder Earth Exalt had proven to be a sound strategist and not apt to act rashly.

"Yes Commander there is." Web spoke up, "Something you need to know about me."

Waiting til Del Ran's attention was on her, Web took a steadying breath and then:

"I'm what you would call a Death Knight. One that seeks asylum from my former masters."

Here she paused, mainly to see the reaction her statement caused. And hoping she was right about the Exalt's self-control.

A cold feeling took hold of Del Ran. A Death Knight. he thought. A servant of a Death Lord, maybe even The Mask of Winters. Is this a trick? For the second time this evening, there was a hint of his disgust for the servants of the enemies of Creation visible on his face.

A Solar and a Death Knight, two anathema working together, was too convenient to call a coincidence. Were they planning on infiltrating the last remnant of the Seventh? But to what end?

He weighed his options and assessed the situation.

He had heard reports of engagements with one Death Knight and they had taught him to use excessive force to combat them or avoid them if at all possible. Even though the slip of a girl sitting in front of him didn't seem capable of lifting a Daiklave, he wasn't going to underestimate her.

The legendary power and might of the Solars was well known to him. And even if this woman in front of him wasn't a fully grown Solar, she looked more than capable of handing him his head on a platter without breaking a sweat.

He was no match for either of them, together they were even worse. So the only thing to do now to get out of this possible death trap was to bide his time. Patience would win him the day.

He sighed. "Asylum? On what grounds?"

It seemed that her statement had caused concern to the Commander, if the distaste and sigh was anything to go by.

At least she could honestly answer the posed question.

"I seek asylum on the grounds that recent actions taken by myself have run counter to orders given by my former master. I am now considered a traitor and as such my life - such as it is - is forfeit if his agents catch me."

Web didn't expect sympathy for her plight, after all Death Knights were practically universally hated. Plus, it could be that her life was forfeit anyway - for the same reason as sympathy wasn't looked for.

Her lack of a visible weapon, should indicate that Shaya's unit had disarmed her. Not that she'd actually protested against that procedure - in fact, she'd been willing to hand over the dagger and though it had been returned to her in the Labyrinth, she would do so again if requested.

Del Ran's eyebrows rose ever so slightly.

"You will have to give me more than that. An explanation, a reason why I would trust your words for one." He not only addressed Web with that statement, but Shaya as well.

"If I am going to lead the new Seventh, you will give me full disclosure, or I cannot make a well informed decision. Is that understood?"

He sounded like a proper Commander, falling back on trusted ways of dealing with the world.

Edited by Biologist

"Very well." Web said simply, "I will be as concise as possible since there is a time limit in place due the circumstances."

Her hands folded on her lap, she began her tale:

"The Death Lord I served wished me to negotiate a pact with another, The Mask of Winters, after a discovery in the Wyld Borderlands. I turned North rather than continuing West." Web didn't mention the destinations - the geography would be well known to Del Ran.

"Last day of Calibration, my path crossed that of a Lookshayan patrol: the then-Commander Shaya's unit. She took me into temporary custody - so that High Command could process me. I had time - or at least I thought I did."

"Word of my straying travelled faster than I hoped - two former colleagues confronted the unit while a third - all Death Knights - stayed in the shadows til the very end."

[This seems a natural point for Shaya to interject... or at least indicate for Web to continue.]

Shaya nodded.

"I can verify that. When my patrol encountered Web, she was under attack by two other Deathknights. We engaged them together and in fact she saved my life, though at the time I suspected a ruse." Reminded of that fateful moment and Web's wound, she resolved that she and the Moonshadow needed to talk as soon as this was over. Although, she had been making that resolution for quite a while now and there was always some greater crisis that needed attending.

"I made the field decision to take Web into protective custody. My intention was to bring her before High Command and let them decide. After the attack on Lookshy, I decided to extend my custody and bring her with me to Nexus. Circumstances forced me to enlist her skills on several occasions and on each one, she did as tasked even if she had the opportunity to betrayed me." A Solar and an Abyssal were unlikely bedfellows, but there was no denying that Web *could* have betrayed Shaya several times now, yet hadn't.

"If the decision were mine, I would continue to grant her custody or probably even asylum after this day. But it is not, so here we are." She suspected that Commander Del Ran would want more details about Web's mission and her reasons for not going through with it, but she felt that Web was better equipped to give those.

((No one has drawn weapons yet. I feel mildly optimistic wink.gif)

--------------

Mia swallowed a mild curse after her second round of the building. Neither her first, admittedly cursory inspection, nor her second more eagle-eyed investigation had revealed the assassin's whereabouts. Either she was very cleverly hidden, or the servant possessed shape-shifting magic and that could not possibly be a good sign. As a small silver lining though, the Eclipse was now quite certain that she herself wasn't being watched. Slipping back into the Chumyo's assigned quarters, she found only Hanzo there.

"Sir," she greeted him demurely.

She noticed that the iron cups were in a different position than she had left them, with one on a different table all together. That must mean they had caught her gist and examined the cups. But had they discovered the poison?

"Did you enjoy your tea, Sir?" she inquired. "The Ambassador himself recommended that blend for you."

Hanzo looked surprised at Mia's revelation. "Has he? Remind me to thank him personally, next time I see him. It is the first time I've had the pleasure of drinking Western Sea Orchid root tea. From iron cups no less. It was quite the experience." He grasped his throat while he talked. "Thank you for your help." He mimicked writing on paper. "You have been invaluable to us."

Hanzo hoped Mia could read his vague remarks, because he wasn't sure he would have picked up any hidden meaning himself. The message he was trying to convey was: we found the poison, we read the paper and acted on it. It was an interesting experiment to see how much Mia could grasp with how little information...

Mia sincerely hoped that any spies were only listening to their conversation and not watching Hanzo's mimicry. But she got his message loud and clear.

"You are most welcome, Sir," she said. She spent a little time tidying the room before bowing and leaving again.

[No drawn weapons is always a good sign, and the temporary custody would at least explain why Shaya hasn't killed her. Even if it doesn't quite cover why natural enemies would be working together. tongue.gif]

Shaya's confirmation of her tale, as well as the subtle - or not so subtle as the case may be - vote of confidence should mean Commander Del Ran would give her request some more consideration over the usual 'kill the Death Knight' stance.

At the memory of the battle, Web resisted the urge to place her hand over the wound. She didn't think any movement on her part would be a good idea, both due to the nature of the wound and the fact the action could be misconstrued.

"I have been under the watchful eye of the unit since that battle. Apart from our initial meeting within these walls, Commander." Web concluded.

Original meeting to Lookshy - the Gunzosha and Lancers kept their eyes on her. Lookshy to Nexus - the same, with the addition of Pheonix.

In fact, it was only after arrival in Nexus that her guard had been reduced to a singular person/Exalt. Pheonix when meeting Lenco. Tinker (for the most part - they did make individual visits) in the River Council chambers. Hanzo in the Nexus market. Hanzo when meeting Mia in Dace's quarters.

The only other time she'd been left to her own devices was during the period between the River Council's endorsement of the new legion and the Commander's Vote meeting. But then again she had been within a mercenary compound so she wasn't sure that could count. Her movements would have still been under observation.

Del Ran frowned at the briefness of their debriefing. He knew the meeting was at hand, but he wouldn't be rushed making such an important decision. The other Commanders could wait. He rose from his seat and walked to the door. Opening it, he called out his lieutenant and gave him a brief order. "Stall the meeting if they try to start without us." Then he returned to the women and sat down again.

"You glossed over a few important details. I would have them as well. Who was your master? What was the discovery and why did you betray your master?"

Harsh words, but there was little time for niceties. At least he hadn't said no..

Shaya had expected that Del Ran would want more information. The veteran Commander was no fool, nor would he be rushed. She nodded to Web to go ahead and tell him the whole story. Besides, that would also open the door for why Shaya and her unit would not be rejoining the new Seventh, but instead continue on their way to stop Shadow of Cities.

"The Death Lord called Shadow of Cities was the one I served." Web stated, then went on with the details at Shaya's nod - looked like another party will know about the orbs... which could be very dangerous.

"His servants, while exploring the borderlands came across a remnant of the First Age. Inside the remains of that building was a plinth with what I can only describe as six corrupted Soulbreaker Orbs."

"These Orbs had been there - exposed to the Wyld and time - yet their greenish-purple material showed no sign of decay. They also felt wrong - the Essence within them radiated Hatred. Put very bluntly, to look upon them and be aware of their presence scared me."

A Death Knight knowing and admitting fear... that would probably top the weirdness scale.

"Shadow of Cities was researching them, and was going to trade what knowledge he found and potentially a couple of the Orbs to the Mask of Winters in exchange for use of the Mask's army. I was meant to negotiate the beginnings of that treaty."

"I could not, in any way, facilitate the spread of - whatever these Orbs would cause." Web finished, "That is why I turned." The other reason is minor compared to the danger those represent..... not even worth a footnote to the military mindset.

Shaya watched Del Ran carefully as Web told him about the Orbs. Lookshy had once employed the last known Soulbreaker Orb in Creation against the nascent Scarlet Empire. That act had ensured the continued independence of Lookshy and the River Province, but at a terrible cost. The Soulbreaker's detonation had created a Shadowland between Lookshy and what was now Thorns. With that in mind, Shaya wanted to see if Del Ran seemed eager or apprehensive at the thought of more Orbs in existence.

Del Ran was shocked into silence at the revelation of several soulbreaker orbs in existence and blanched at the mention that they were at the command of one, and possibly more, Death Lords. Not only had Lookshy been destroyed with a single fell blast from whatever infernal machine the Empress had at her command, obliterating whatever powerbalance had existed between the Realm and the River Province. But now the evil in the East had weapons that could cause mass destruction, shattering whatever semblance of peace and security the remaining states of the River Province had left. The magnitude of this revelation struck deeply and for a moment he was lost for words.

The pale girl in front of him seemed sincere. The grizzled Earth Exalt wasn't without his own powers of perception and he saw the truth in her tale. He watched Shaya's reaction to the mention of the Soul Breaker Orbs carefully. A Death Lord with the orbs was disastrous, a Solar with the Orbs was a direct threat to the fabric of reality and too horrible to contemplate.

The two of them stared at each other for a moment and Del Ran realised that the Solar had the same concerns as he had. "The Orbs must be destroyed." He stated. "You realise that that will be your first mission under my command if I were to become Chumyo. Is that why you are backing me?"

They were getting to the heart of the matter at last. "I can see the wisdom in that, mind you." Things were falling into place like a cascade of rocks from a mountain cliff.

He looked at the two women with some tenseness in his posture. Their answer on his statement of destruction of the orbs would greatly decide his decision of granting asylum and in trusting Shaya...

Edited by Biologist

"You realise that that will be your first mission under my command if I were to become Chumyo. Is that why you are backing me?"

Shaya found herself nodding again. "The plan was to leave the new Seventh in place to protect the River Province if the Scarlet Empress - or anyone else - attacks again. After that, my unit would pursue the Orbs. I intend to disarm and destroy them or, if failing that, to put them somewhere they can never be retrieved." To be completely honest, Shaya intended to make that her new mission regardless of what Del Ran might command, but broadcasting her intent to be insubordinate (if that's what it took) didn't seem like a good start with her new commanding officer.