Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

Web also nodded at Del Ran's statement - though he was mainly looking at Shaya, her reaction would also play a part in his decision.

"The conditions of my custody stated that once the River Province's safety was ensured, I was to guide the unit to the location of the Orbs to prevent them being used. I was also to provide tactical information about the Death Lords plans and the predicted timelines involved."

"That was the plan, at least." Web added, aware that once Shaya was no longer Chumyo that her position was precarious to say the least. It could be that she was imprisoned or perhaps executed.

Of course, Web was operating under the assumption that she was still considered a political refugee by the unit. Considering her relative freedom - as evidenced by her earlier solo wanderings - she couldn't technically be considered a prisoner.

They also hadn't discussed the 'pretence' of her alliance with Lenco the Akuma, though that may not be a good idea overall. Del Ran may have second thoughts about her request if he thought there was a chance of a double cross.

The old Commander rose and motioned for them to do the same. Then, before he spoke, he gave Shaya and Web a long stern look, letting the importance of this moment sink in.

"In the light of recent events, as commander of the Seventh Legion and by the rights and responsibilities invested in that high rank, I grant you asylum against the Shadow of Cities and the agents and allies of his reign of terror. Furthermore, I declare Shaya be responsible for your actions, if you ever betray the trust extended to you by the Seventh Legion. She will have first right of retaliation."

It was a very formal declaration, one Shaya probably had heard only once before, when she faced the High Command of the General Staff after her Exaltation as a Solar. The appointment of a warden was not uncommon, though it sent a clear message: you take responsibility for your own decisions.

"We will discuss this further after the meeting." He said as he opened the door for his Chumyo, saluting her. "Shall we?"

At the indication to stand, Web did so, feeling like a child called before a strict schoolmaster in front of the Earth Exalt's gaze.

The formal announcement was made and Web bowed her head as she replied:

"Thank you for granting my request."

She let Shaya take the lead in leaving.

Shaya stood perfectly upright as Del Ran passed his verdict. She felt somehow glad that Web had been 'upgraded' from protected prisoner to political refugee, even if she (as Chumyo) could have done that some time ago. It just hadn't occurred to her, since her relationship with Web had taken on a somewhat organic aspect, where things simply developed as they did. But having Web evaluated by a third party had made it clear to her that the Moonshadow should have been accorded refugee status already. We really need to have to have that talk. Later.

She exited the room first, being the highest in rank officially, and led the way to the meeting room.

----

Like all Solars, Mia had an innate sense of time. Well, that was to say - she had an innate sense of the Sun's position in the sky. But since He was usually very punctual in making his rounds, that effectively meant she had an innate sense of time.

"I think the meeting will start soon, Sir," she informed Hanzo.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Hanzo nodded, smoothing his uniform over for the sixteenth time. He was nervous. "Yes. Let us go. We cannot be late."

-----------------------

The meeting room was already full when Shaya, Web and Del Ran arrived. The floor of the circular room was slightly lower in the centre, creating a natural arena for eloquence and rhetoric. The commanders and Lenco were already present and Hanzo emerged from the small crowd to stand with his superior officer Shaya. "I'm glad you're here" he whispered. "They don't like to wait."

Lenco noticed the last arrivals and took the stage in the centre quickly, the room fell silent. "Commanders of the Seventh Legion. Daughters and sons of Lookshy. Thank you for heeding the call forthwith. Before us lies the grave duty to decide on the future of the Seventh Legion. First on this momentous task list is the vote for the new Chumyo." He gestured to Shaya and the commanders turned around to look. "The former captain, now the acting Chumyo, will address you now."

-----------------

Silune sat up straighter. This was going to be good.

Stepping forward to take the stage, Shaya resisted the impulse to sucker-punch Lenco. Not that he had done anything wrong (in the few minutes since the meeting started), but his very presence offended her.

"No," she simply said, "voting for a new Chumyo is not first on the list."

A soft murmur rose through the room. She knew what they were saying, what Lenco had whispered in their ears: that she would resist relinquishing her position. She didn't care. This wasn't about her position or what they thought of her.

"First comes starting anew. All of us are officers risen through the ranks, changed from when we first joined the Seventh Legion. We are stronger for it: more experienced, better trained, battle-hardened. But we need more than that to resurrect the Seventh Legion. We can't just be stronger, we need to be better. We need to be idealistic, incorruptible and willing to take chances. For any king can raise an army, but only a visionary can accomplish our goal of protecting the River Lands and keeping the spirit of Lookshy alive."

The murmur had stopped again, as people began to pick up on her meaning.

"All of us have secrets accumulated during our service. Things that we couldn't share. Things that we did wrong. Our first task then, is a clean slate. Anyone who wishes it, can take this opportunity to reveal their secrets and indiscretions. If it involves behaviour unbecoming an officer, that behaviour will stop from this moment forth - if it hasn't already. In some cases, it might be necessary to make reparations for harm done. But in all cases, I will extend a pardon to those who come forward now. This will be my last act as Chumyo. After that I will relinquish my position and we will have our vote."

By now people were looking at her as if she were daft. A blanket pardon, before she even knew what crimes were perpetrated? Although the girl was right - it was the only way forward. But who would be foolish (and brave) enough to begin?

Sensing hesitation, Shaya decided that it would be only fair if she took the first step. "I see we're all nervous. Barbarians and fae-kin we can handle, but sharing with our peers is a little daunting." It was a joke, meant to break tension and it worked. Small chuckles filled the room. "I will go first then."

She took a breath and, before she could think better of it, took a leap of faith. "Five years ago I encountered a servant of the Mask of Winters while on patrol in the Marukani lands. I fought the Dreadknight and, by some miracle, won." This was no secret (and probably a familiar tale to many of those present) though the next part was. "The miracle that saved my life, came from the Unconquered Sun. He exalted me that day as one of His Chosen. Upon return to Lookshy, I informed my Commanding Officer and he in turn informed High Command. They let me retain my position in the Seventh and appointed Iroh Sozin as my guardian."

This time there were more than just murmurs. Shaya noticed that some of the Commanders didn't look surprised at all. Like Commander Del Ran, they must have heard the rumours and some of them might even have known it was her. Others seemed downright appalled and at least one person spoke the dreaded word: Anathema.

Saying a little prayer that she might survive this moment (politically speaking), Shaya projected an outward air of calm and pose. Let them speak their minds and when they were done, they would all move forward together. At least, she hoped so.

Staying in her position in the aides camp, Web could hear and observe the reactions to Shaya's mini-speech.

The first reaction was one she would expect from those exposed to Lenco's whispers. The second was a mixed result - which was also understandable and expected. While she scanned the crowd, she looked in particular for Lenco - mainly to see his reaction to the news of Shaya's true Exaltation.

Hopefully her wandering eyes could be assumed to be due to shock of the revelation. Del Ran, considering he already knew of both Shaya and Lenco's natures, would be able to tell she was trying to read the Akuma's intentions at this reveal.

The shock of Shaya's revelation ran through the ranks of commanders and aides alike. Even Silune was stunned for a moment. A Solar? That changes everything. She leaned forward, eager to hear everything that was being said, desperate not to miss anything, but keeping her presence hidden.

----------------

Amongst the commanders, two reacted badly to the news. Commander Hu Chang, a fireblooded man of hot temper, drew his daiklave and pointed it at Shaya, while commander Tzun, a water aspected veteran, spoke the word Anathema!

Del Ran stepped in and pushed the daiklave aside. "What good will that do? Have you no faith in the decisions of the former General Staff? Put down your weapon and save your judgement for later. Now is the time to come clean." There were murmurs of assent and the two stepped back, casting a furtive glance at Lenco.

"I have had a love affair with my commanding officer's wife." Del Ran said. It was clear he felt apprehensive about it, even though it might have been ages ago. Coming clean in front of your peers wasn't an easy thing to do.

Del Ran was well liked, some even considered him impeccable. To them this revelation came as a shock as well. But it had the desired effect. After two confessions of dark secrets readily revealed, and after a short awkward silence, a third voice was heard. "I once was gripped with fear and fled, leaving my troops behind to fend for themselves."

The great revealing had been set in motion and was gathering momentum.

-------------

Lenco was not pleased. Not pleased at all. Not only was the puppet Chumyo an Exalted of the Sun, it also seemed all his leverage was evaporating in front of his eyes, all the votes bought with subtle blackmail becoming uncertainties again. He cursed under his breath and signaled for the assassin to do her work. He would have this woman dead before the end of the evening.

---------------

Silune saw Lenco's signal and ignored it for the moment. She needed to see this event play out until the end. She wasn't cutting it short, no matter how vehemently the Terrestrial was signaling...

Edited by Biologist

Mia watched in awe as the Dawn first gave a fairly rousing speech, then bumbled her way into revealing she was anathema, then somehow still carried the day. That must be Solar power at work.

Signalling the other servants, Mia had them set up a few writing tables. Normally, drawing up the Chumyo's papers would fall to the Chumyo's 'servant' Web, but Mia felt that it was best of Lenco's attention was not unduly drawn to the Abyssal. Instead, she herself took place at the writing desk and drew up a standard form.

"On this day, I, Shaya Orested, by the rights and responsibilities invested in my rank of Chumyo of the Seventh Legion, hereby grand a pardon to ..... for the action of ....."

Writing as fast as humanly possible, Mia then passed the form on to the clerks on the either side of her, who filled it out as applicable. It was then passed on to Shaya for a signature. The effect was somewhat patchwork, but it was quick and legally binding.

------------------------------

Someone passed a document and a quill to her. Reading it, Shaya saw that it was the written version of the pardons she had promised everyone. Of course: that would make it official. She felt somewhat awkward signing the pardons, but did her best not to show it. It was one thing to claim the position of Chumyo or even to raise an army. But signing documents? That made it official. She was now the Ten Day Chumyo.

Around her, more and more people stood up and the paper trail swelled to a river. Some of the revelations disgusted Shaya, but she was good to her word of a pardon. Finally the revelations - and the accompanying documents - slowed down again. Finally, the room was silent again. Shaya noticed that not everyone had come forth, most notably Lenco and his friends Commanders Hu Chang and Tzun. They had the most to lose if she gained influence, for she would certainly not use it to back their nomination, and their crimes were likely the worst.

If it had been just the tree of them, Shaya would have gladly written them off as a loss. But there were others who had remained silent too. She needed to make sure that she had given them every chance to come forward, so people wouldn't balk at what came next - she still had Lenco's list, after all.

"Did everyone speak their peace? It is understood that after this moment, my offer of a blanket pardon expires? And that hiding any past transgressions, should they come to light in the future, can be taken as a sign of the intention to continue those acts?"

((I wonder if Lenco is getting the feeling that something is up?))

After the last call, everyone came forward with their dark secret. Even Lenco, Tzun and Hu Chang had confessed to some embarrassing truth or a minor infringement on the rules of engagement, but not to the crimes noted in Lenco's papers. The commander was thinking on his feet and slippery as a Fae.

-----------

Hanzo was in dubio. Was the Chumyo asking him to confess to being a Solar as well? It wasn't technically a crime, it didn't say in the stature that being a Chosen of the Sun was a punishable offense. Yet she had started the confessions with just that fact. Given the reaction of the other commanders, he thought the better of it and kept it to himself. It would only complicate matters.

It seemed like everyone but Lenco and his friends had decided to be truthful. Shaya thought for a moment as she considered her options. She had Lenco's list, but that wasn't proof. Just because 99 accusations on that list were too, did not prove that the 100th was too. She didn't need to be a barrister to to realize that accusing Tzun and Chang based on the list would only bog down the meeting with speculation and suspicion. Getting them would require a proper investigation and a hearing; a task that would fall to the next Chumyo.

That left only Lenco for her to handle now. She had agreed that Del Ran should out the Akuma, but now that they were here, she doubted that would help. The Commander and she had walked in together and he'd been the first to go along with her clean slate plan. If he revealed Lenco, the ambassador would still know that the information came from Shaya. She half-turned to read something on the last paper Mia was working on and, with her face obscured from Lenco and his cronies, made eye-contact with Web and Ran. Should they tackle Lenco now, or later?

Del Ran returned the look as a cursory glance across the room. The slight raise of his eyebrows seemed to indicate a question or possibly 'standing by, say the word'. It was hard to tell with just a raise of the eyebrows.

((Thakesis, what do you think. Del Ran is for outing Lenco and getting rid of him.))

Web had been crowd watching throughout the confessional. She had noticed Lenco's frantic signals, worry having dulled his caution slightly.

She was wondering if she could find who he had signalled in the crowds, when Shaya caught her eye.

Honestly, she wasn't sure if revealing Lenco now was the best plan. Though a change of plan - if indicated by her - could be even worse since Del Ran was included in the consulting look.

A small delay on the reveal could be easy to arrange though - considering all the admissions that had been made. And Web inclined her head to convay as much.

She also, with her hand mostly concealed from Lenco by her thaumaturge's dress, indicated that Lenco had a concealed supporter somewhere in the room. She raised her eyebrow to ask: 'look for these person/persons?'

Catching both Del Ran's and Web's look, Shaya responded to the Commander first. She shook her head briefly, almost imperceptibly: wait on revealing Lenco's true nature. She then nodded to Web: find out more. She didn't know who or what Web was looking for, as she herself had missed the signals. Neither did she know if uncovering these hidden accomplished would help. But years of military experience made her see the wisdom of not committing to battle if your opponent might have hidden troops out there.

((Interestingly enough, this could also be a way (ooc) to give Silune a more helpful introduction to the group.))

[Yep - though she'd probably wonder how a Dark Exalt could exist in the Solar's camp without getting caught tongue.gif Though that might intrigue her even more.]

At the confirmation, Web returned the nod: 'will do'. Since it seemed the majority of attention was directed towards the centre of the room, where Shaya was signing the last of the pardons, Web could take a step back out of the aides circle with little chance of being spotted.

The harder part would be locating Lenco's other back up. Her disappearance could easily be attributed to the Solar presence - the Commanders who didn't know her would assume it was a reaction of fear. Lenco would probably assume the same - though he'd know more of the truth of her nature.

((Well, Silune cannot out Lenco, because she is unaware of his akuma nature and she doesn't know the phrase. I had a different scene in mind for introductions, so I'd prefer she wasn't found this scene. If that is alright with you two happy.gif ))

((Sure, it's your character so you can decide when/how to introduce her. No luck for Web and Shaya from that angle then. Guess we'll have to tackle Lenco on our own.))

[While Web is looking for the recipient of Lenco's signals...]

Shaya did a mental review of her options. She had originally planned to out Lenco publicly (and as quickly as possible) because she didn't want to be 'the Chumyo whose opponents mysteriously disappear'. Now that she would no longer be Chumyo, she needn't worry about that. In fact, it would be much better for Web if Shaya waited until after the meeting and took care of Lenco then - even though she was itching to destroy the Akuma. But that would transfer the problem from her to Del Ran, as he would then be the Chumyo with mysteriously disappearing opponents.

So what was more important here? Hiding Web, or protecting Del Ran's reputation? Normally she'd choose the new Chumyo's reputation, but Web was tied to herself: the current Chumyo. Just like she couldn't risk casting a cloud over Commander Ran's future decisions, she couldn't cast one over her own either. If people began to doubt her motives or integrity for raising the Seventh anew, all might be for naught. That left Shaya with two bad options until Web came back.

((Poor Shaya. Making Chumyo decisions is haaaaard xd.png.))

As shaya had signed the last of the pardons, Del Ran stepped forward respectfully. He saluted and began the ceremonial part of the transition of power. "Shaya Orestes, ten day Chumyo, the Seventh Legion is grateful for your decisiveness and speed of action. If not for you, the Seventh might have died with Lookshy." Several Commanders nodded their head, others gave sounds of approval. "For this you have earned your place amongst the Chumyoi that came before you, and I salute you." He gave Shaya another salute, this time a heart felt personal sign of his gratitude. Behind and around him, more and more commanders straightened and saluted Shaya, until everyone stood at attention. Even Lenco and his henchmen, for even if they weren't sincere, they couldn't keep standing at ease.

After the salute had been answered, Del Ran continued: "Now comes the time where the commanders will vote and choose the new Chumyo from among them. Do you relinquish your rights and duties as Chumyo and lay down that title?"

It was a formalised ritual, but none the less, the tension rose. Even Del Ran was more tense than he liked, still anticipating some treachery from Web or unwillingness to step down from Shaya - Solars were infamous for their megalomania.

Shaya looked about for Web. It seemed that their effort to stall for time and uncover Lenco's accomplish (*) had come to an end. Now came the time to lay down her burden and let the next person handle it. She stood up straight, saluted the Commanders before her and, standing at ease again, began to unpin the Chumyo rankings from her uniform. For a moment the gleam caught her eye. Richer and deeper than gold could ever be, the orichalcum shone with the light of the Sun. Hanzo had made these for her. They belonged to her. Why should she give them up? She had earned them, through trial and tribulation, when she had rushed to Nexus to raise the Seventh anew. The army was hers and so was the rank of its leader! She closed her fist around the pips. They. Were. HERS.

And then a single ray of sunlight fell through the crystal roof on her closed hand. The Sun touched everything. And then it moved on. All the sky was His, yet He never remained in one place. The Sun inspired, moved, yet never forced. Never owned. Reluctantly, she opened her hand again and placed the pips on the small table in the center of the room. Then she stepped back, nodding - more to herself than to anyone else. It was done. She was Chumyo no more.

((* Okay, it wouldn't have worked anyway, but Shaya doesn't know that IC smile.gif.))

[Yep - chances are Web'll slip back into place just before Shaya detaches her pips.]

Web had looked around for Lenco's hidden assistant with no success. The Commanders that supported him had practically given themselves away in the confusion of confessions. But whoever was hidden was biding their time - or had already left the room.

She was aware of the limited time she had, so she returned to her spot in Shaya's unit in time to see the formal hand-over of power.

She lowered her eyes to signal her failure in finding whoever Lenco was signalling, but at least that meant there was no immediate danger.

((If Web is back in time to see Shaya step down, since she is really good at reading people, she probably recognized that it took some effort of will for the Dawn to step down (and a little timely intervention, or lucky coincidence, from the sun). That might be interesting to file away for future reference: does not abdicate power easily, even if she didn't *want* to be Chumyo to begin with.))

Del Ran looked Shaya in the eye. "Thank you, Captain Orestes, for honouring your sworn oath as an officer of the Seventh Legion." He was relieved that the Solar had kept her word and handed in the position of Chumyo, even though he noticed it wasn't easy. He imagined it wasn't after everything she had gone through.

He turned his attention to the assembled Commanders. "Now it falls to us, esteemed commanders of the Seventh Legion, to choose from amongst us a new Chumyo, that will lead the army to a new era of vigilance: upholding the traditions of old and honouring they who have fallen, yet adapting to the new times ahead of us."

Commander Tzun came forward and spoke up, politely and businesslike. "We are grateful for Captain Orestes' service, but she will have to leave the hall with the rest. This meeting is for the commanders of the Seventh only. Lower ranked personnel have no place at the Vote for Chumyo, as per the stature of the Legion."

There was some murmur, commanders looked at each other, some in agreement, others embarrassed to demand this of the woman who had just stepped down from the position. Aides and lieutenants looked unpleasantly surprised, but none the less prepared to leave, when Hanzo spoke up.

"Ahem, sirs. Forgive my audacity, but that is not correct." If there was one thing Hanzo was good at, it was memorizing things. For his acceptance into the ranks of the citizenry and the Seventh Legion, he had read the entire stature and learned it by heart.

"The stature clearly states that for any vote on the position of Chumyo to be legally binding, the highest commanding officer of each Field Force needs to be present. He or she can bring one or two witnesses to the process. There is no rank specified." Hanzo looked around the room to the high ranking officers of his beloved Lookshy. Some were amused, others had a look of distaste on their faces. He would not be deterred.

"As you all know, every Calibration one of the Field Forces has the honour to guard the city of Lookshy, so that the other citizens and soldiers can celebrate and observe the proper rituals without disturbances. This year, the Fourth Field Force had the honour to fulfil that duty." His face darkened. "With the destruction of Lookshy, the Fourth Field Force was destroyed as well. The only survivors are those who have made the perilous journey to Nexus. No-one else is left. That makes Captain Shaya the highest commanding officer of the Fourth Field Force." He paused for emphasis and looked around.

"Not only is it desirable to have her present at the vote - as a gesture towards her heroic actions - it is mandatory to have her present if this vote has to carry any weight and ligitimacy." Hanzo looked at commander Tzun. "As per the stature of the Legion."

Then he stepped back and stood next to his captain.

((Sorry if I solved the problem myself. I wanted to do this speech for a long time smile.gif ))

Edited by Biologist

Shaya couldn't help but smile, though she tried to hide it. She felt quite proud at Hanzo standing up for he and putting Tzun in his place. Though she suspected he had also done it simply because the latter had been wrong in his citation of the charter.

((Haha, good for Hanzo putting that slimeball Tzun in his place! Shaya is getting a (silent) chuckle out of that one.

What do we want to do with the vote? I kinda think Del Ran will win because:

1) Chumyo Shaya and her people have made good impression and they're supporting Ran.

2) Lenco lost most of his blackmail material.

3) We've paired Del Ran with Nefvarin Chia and I think that combination will draw a lot of votes.

Do we want to RP the entire vote, or just the highlight? Here are some scenes I'd like to see:

- Lenco realizes he's losing the vote and signals Web to 'do something NOW'. He's bound to blame anyone and anything around him for his loss.

- A scene from Silune's point of view. We don't know that much about her yet and another POV scene would be good.

- Del Ran outs Lenco? Assuming that he does, of course - he want to might wait until later.

Anything else?))

((I prefer the highlights. I agree that there is a good chance that the Del Ran and Chia combination will win the vote. The scenes you propose are great.

I think we can start real time RP when Lenco is outed. Del Ran probably wants to out Lenco at the end of the meeting.

- because it is good to have all of the Terrestrials present for this and have a Solar for back up, if things go wrong in an unexspected spectacularly weird way.

- because of a feeling of poetic justice: Lenco will witness all his infernal plans fail miserably before he is brought down.

What do you think?))