Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

Shaya looked incredulous as Web and Hanzo discussed the *proof* of Sela's actions. Certainly they weren't planning to bring the poisoner to court? She made a mental note to deal with the issue in her own fashion when the time came.

She took Mia's slip of paper from Hanzo and, with some effort, made out the tiny handwriting. "It's a list of Lenco's allies and blackmail victims."

Copying the information in her own, larger if not necessarily more legible, handwriting, she handed the slip and her new notes back to Hanzo. "Can we use these?"

Then she turned to Web. "Tell me more about the other candidates. In detail." 

((How did Web go straight from golden eyes to Lunar? Nothing about that particularly screams 'chosen of the moon' above other supernatural cause to me? 

If you consider the symbiont a scifi form of fhe exalted shard, the Goa'uld are already exalted smile.gif.))

[OOC: You're forgetting Web's Lunar and his part in her wanting to change.

IC: She's just giving other options for Shaya to consider. Other than fae-blood.

I suppose that would be true - though Gou'uld really suffer from the Great Curse]

Web nodded and started with known candidates. She did gloss over Lenco - since they already knew about him.

She gave names, their stance on Lookshy and the Realm, and her assessment of their chances of success based on common ground with the other commanders.

Ah, so Web has Lunars on the brain wink.gif.

Shaya listened intently to Web's assessment of the other candidates. There were several that she'd like to meet in person. And perhaps, she mused, she should. She had stepped up and taken charge when the situation demanded it, but now that the time had come to officiate a new Chumyo, she felt the prospect was both stifling and daunting.

Hanzo took the paper from Shaya and read it thouroughly. How can she fight with a sword so well and write like this? he wondered, frowning. When he finished he looked up at the two women. "Well, there is good news and bad news. Lenco has blackmail material that is severe enough to demote someone or make him or her inelegable for the General Staff and with that for the position of Chumyo. But he has it on *all* of the present commanders. I'll let you decide which is the good news and which is the bad."

He thought for a moment. "Maybe we can use this to our advantage. If we work the angle of starting over, with a clean slate, a clean record, we can eliminate Lenco's hold on them. We just need them to confess these breaches of conduct to each other and move on from there. What do you think?"

He looked at Shaya and added: "And sir, if you would wield your writing brush as you would your sword, it will greatly enhance your writing. Perhaps some of the characters hold secrets of the sword you haven't uncovered yet." He said it without any judgement or contempt; just honest helpfulness.

"And sir, if you would wield your writing brush as you would your sword, it will greatly enhance your writing. Perhaps some of the characters hold secrets of the sword you haven't uncovered yet."

Shaya frowned and briefly took the paper back, examining it, before passing it on to Web. What was wrong with her handwriting?

"Starting with a clean slate sounds good in theory, but some things cannot be forgiven." Knowing Shaya she was referring to working with servants of the dark, but Lookshy's Commanders weren't likely to overlook treason either. "That might be a good thing, though - some things aren't meant to be forgiven."

In her mind, Shaya had already decided that Hanzo was right - making the list public was the right thing to do. Unlike Hanzo though, she doubted that it would be a clean slate for everyone: some people would be discharged and that would probably be for the best.

Having decided that Lenco's list should be made public regardless, Shaya wondered how to go about that. If it were up to her, she'd simply copy and distribute the list, but she doubted that would go over well.

"Web," she asked "if you wanted that list public without causing Command to implode, how would you go about it?"

------------------------

Still moving through the hallways under a servant's guise, Mia saw a tall, exotic-looking woman enter Lenco's office. The woman was dressed as a personal servant and quite beautiful. Normally Mia would have made a (lewd) guess to the purpose of her visit, but something about her didn't sit quite right with the Eclipse. Silently moving to the door, she pressed her ear against it and - while keeping an eye out on the corridor - tried to listen.

((I wanted Mia to 'meet' Sela so I asked Biologist if this was alright.))

Silune visited Lenco before finding her observatory spot in the great hall. She moved through the door with arrogant confidence, leaving her servant persona outside his office. As she closed the door she looked at the man with cold eyes and stated in a businesslike tone. "I am ready. Say the word and she is no longer a threat."

"Good." Lenco said. "It all depends on the meeting. You will be on auxiliairy duty, the back-up plan, so to speak. Do nothing unless I say so."

The mortal smiled at her wickedly. Great Mother Moon, she detested him for presuming he had *any* power over her as her 'employer', but she repressed the feeling. "It is your money." She shrugged and left, not waiting for the commander to give her permission to leave.

She opened the door and vanished from the room into the corridor, another unobtrusive servant going about her business... Making her way to the meeting hall.

Mia watched the woman go. It was fortunate that she was so focused on her own business, that she never noticed the Eclipse prying.

The conversation between Lenco and the 'servant' didn't reveal much at first glance, but there were volumes to be had for someone listening to the intention behind the words. It was clear to Mia that Lenco wanted the servant (assassin?) to kill Shaya *if* she posed a threat to his plans. Meanwhile, the assassin wanted to get 'satisfaction', though Mia wasn't sure what that entailed.

Either way, it struck her that this information needed to be shared. But how? She wasn't certain that she could pay a third visit to the Chumyo's quarters without drawing attention to herself.

Web considered the list carefully, as well as the requirement for damage control.

And with the military, such things had to be done with even more care - considering the often volatile nature of the persons involved and their dislike for bureaucratic meddling.

"I'd go for a subtle, yet still direct approach." Web began, "Without revealing the information in the list, I'd work the angle of with the rebirth of the Seventh the past is simply that - the past. To honour the foundations and traditions of the Legion, I'd urge the Commanders to reconcile themselves with old actions and decisions among themselves and comrades."

"Basically, hinting at a clean slate should they wish it."

She looked across at Shaya, as she came to her conclusion.

"Those that confess and seek forgiveness would be able to start anew - those that stay silent would be the ones that would cast doubt and suspicion on the new Seventh."

It was obvious that those with darker secrets would not willingly step forward, those with lesser transgressions - the punishment for which would be demotion or at least a cap on promotion opportunities - should take the chance that the Chumyo would appreciate their honesty and forgive them for it.

Shaya nodded slowly - Web's suggestion was simple enough, yet she had no idea if she could manage it. The Dawn felt completely out of her league when it came to social situations.

"Alright."

The, after a moment's pause: "I'd better go talk to some of the Commanders in person. See whom I'm dealing with."

((Short timeskip? Shaya would come back and decide to nominate one of the other Commanders rather than herself. But which one? I think she has the most in common with Del Ran and a grizzled old veteran might be exactly what the Seventh needs. Perhaps the politically-smart Nefvarin Chia could be his sub-Commander? The deal could be that Del Ran carries the ball during the current crisis, while grooming Nefvarin Chia to deal with the stress (which she needs) so he can still retire in a few years (which he wants). Between Shaya's support and Nefvarin Chia's own clout, they'd have a good chance of winning the vote.))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

((I think that is a great idea. Del Ran as Chumyo and Chia as second in line. The last part has to be agreed on when Del Ran retires, of course, but if he grooms her for the position, I see no reason why she wouldn't be the next Chumyo.))

Hanzo looked at Shaya and Web and nodded in agreement. "I think that would be best. Is there anything I can do?" He felt a bit useless while waiting for the grand meeting. Maybe he could get a massage as well, he thought whistfully.

((Takhesis, what do you think of Del Ran as Chumyo and Nefvarin Chia as second?))

[small timeskip..]

Pulling herself up to her full, impressive, height, Shaya knocked on Commander Ran's door. She had been 'making the rounds', visiting the Commanders that Web thought might have a decisive vote. She sighed mentally - she really wasn't cut out for all this political manoeuvering. Still, she had to unless she wanted Lenco to be the next Chumyo. She thought of that condescending, pampered AKUMA getting his hands on the army *she* had raised and felt pure rage bubble up inside of her. She'd smile and shake hands all day if that's what it took.

She was still in thought when Del Ran opened the door. He was tall and broad-shouldered, with calloused hands and sun-tanned skin that spoke to a lifetime of campaigns outside the city. She realized that he would be attractive to many women, even if she herself did not value men as such.

"Commander Del Ran," she began, then fell silent as he saluted her - that was another thing she hadn't gotten used to. She returned the salute and continued: "I wished to speak to you about the vote." By which she meant she was here to win his allegiance, but she had no elegant way to phrase that. 

Stepping aside, Commander Ran let her in with a curt nod. "May I offer you tea, Chumyo?" he inquired. 

Shaya nodded despite not really wanting more tea. Ran wasn't the first to offer, nor was he likely the last, and at this rate she'd spend the vote running off to the bathroom to pee. But, it would be impolite to refuse - even Shaya knew that - so she acccepted.

Catching her look, Ran ammended: "Or something stronger, perhaps?"

Shaya couldn't help but laugh. The ice broken, she sat down on the plush sofa and noted with some satisfaction that, like her, Ran briefly grimaced as he sat down - these pillow-laden monstrocities were really too soft by far.

[sounds good to me - after all I did kinda leave Chia in a sort of limbo about the whole affair....]

Web considered the whole situation, Shaya may not be the best at political 'shenanigans', but a personal visit by the Acting Chumyo could go a long way to swaying the vote.

She could sympathise with Hanzo's internal feelings of being useless, she couldn't act with the full force of her abilities either.... not if she wanted to keep her nature hidden for as long as possible.

"Did you come up with an idea for damage control if the Shadow came to light?" she asked Hanzo, somewhat obliquely referring to Lenco knowing her Exaltation. After all, if he did reveal her, it would be likely she couldn't say anything without making things worse.

[is going to assume Web and Hanzo are plotting while Shaya's making the rounds and drinking lots of tea.]

Hanzo looked troubled at Web's question. "I am still working on it. I might be able to work with the 'vagueness' of some of the rules and statements in the charters of the Seventh Legion about Lookshy being the Bulwark against oppression, but it is not easy to sell a 'servant of darkness'. Maybe your status as 'refugee from a cruel regime' might work in your advantage. You might want to apply for asylum officially if you are revealed.

He laid out his ideas about how to justify Web's presence at the Chumyo's side and her alliance with the forces of good. But it wasn't much to go on. It would take a lot of work to flesh it out. It would be better if she wasn't revealed Hanzo thought.

-----------------------

Silune made herself comfortable. All she had to do now was to wait for the commanders to come in and have their meeting. She loathed working for a Dragonblooded. The only good thing about them was that they were now killing each other instead of their generals and champions.

Bitterness rose in her throat and her thoughts drifted to memories of slaughter and massacre at the holy feast of Calibration centuries ago, when the Terrestrials rose up from the Earth and killed the champions of the Celestial bodies. She shook her head. This strain of thought was dangerous.

You should just kill them all while you have the chance. You know that it makes sense.

Too late.

They will betray you. Just like...

Shut up! Silune shut her eyes forcefully to ban the voice of the other woman from her mind. I'm not listening to your mind poison. she shouted mentally.

You were ready enough to take my other lessons to heart. the other voice said.

Silune heard the doors to the chamber open and leapt to the chance of distracting her mind from the internal conflict. It will have to wait. she stated forcefully and concentrated on the men and women entering, her cold eyes viewing the Terrestrials with contempt...

((Timeskip to the meeting?))

((A timeskip sounds fine to me. Shaya will have told Web and Hanzo that they're backing Del Ran rather than herself now. That might require a new plan? Although in essence they're just switching one grumpy, a-political warrior for another wink.gif.

I loved the voice in Silune's head. That's a great twist!))

[Timeskip sounds good. Hmm Lenco should be happy that Shaya's apparently withdrawing her claim - even its to favour another that isn't his.

It is tempting to have Web counter-reveal Lenco if he does reveal her nature.

'The only way you know Darkness is because you serve it yourself' aka the 'It takes one to know one' gambit.]

((I think we might have a chance with Hanzo's 'seeking refuge from dark masters' angle. Lookshy surely havs some system for granting asylum. With that in mind, perhaps Shaya and Web should give that blackmail list to Ran before the meeting. Depending on how he reacts, that might be a good time for Web to reveal herself too. We even have an explanation for why she didn't come forward earlier - she had already been granted asylum by the Chumyo, but with that position switching, it's time for her to petition Ran. That however carries the risk of 1) Ran *not* granting asylum, 2) Ran granting asylum and losing support if the other Commanders find out, or, 3) Ran granting asylum and deciding to take Web into his own custody rather than Shaya's.

Or we can try to manipulate events so Lenco thinks Web is on his side to the last. After all, she persuaded Shaya to drop her bid in favour of an older, less eligible candidate. It's not Web's fault that Lenco wasn't able to capitalize on that. The only problem there is that Shaya plans to kill Lenco one way or another, so he might out Web just out of spite. After all, he has no reason to keep her as ace up his sleeve if he's about to die anyway. Though, if he's outed amidst all the Commanders, his end might come about so quickly that he doesn't have time to point fingers. Or Shaya could bide her time and kill Lenco later - he's unlikely to out Web if he thinks she might still be of use - but someone assassinating the ambassador to Nexus would cause all sorts of internal upheaval (I say 'internal', because in an effort to keep up a strong front, they're unlikely to let the word get out.).

<-- Btw I think we can safely assume that all of this came up while waiting for the meeting to start.))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

((I think for Web to apply for asylum with Del Ran is robably the best gamble they can take. Sooner or later it will be revealed. It is better if Command can say: "We knew about it and approve." Certainly if Lenco uses it to destabilize the commanders and sow discord in the ranks against Shaya and her candidates. It is not optimal and certainly not without risk, but it is the best bet.))

---------------------

The dark beast had changed shape. It was now indistinguishable from the mortal apes milling about in their thrice damned city. The moment it stepped across the border of the city limits, a line of spiritual importance, it felt the hair on its human neck rise. The bond between predator and prey, dulled first by the distance between them and later by the interference of the masses of humans of the city, had now been reinforced. It was certain its prey felt it as well.

Good.

Now would be the time to see whether it had chosen a worthy prey: whether she would flee or fight. It was pretty sure it would be the latter.

Surrounded by the noise and stench of too many humans living together, it made its way to familiar territory: the pockets of the Wyld. Their warping energies would make them ideal for recovering from its first venture in this disease ridden place, and for planning its next move.

It felt good to take initiative again.

[Perhaps we should RP that bit before going to meeting? Though Del Ran maybe a bit surprised that he'd had a rather cordial tea meeting with an Abyssal without realising it.....

As for the list - Shaya could discuss it with Ran. A sort of 'needing advice on information received' before she asks him to take over as Chumyo and before she mentions Web. A strategic test of reaction - so to speak.]

Pheonix was waiting for a sign to go in with the rest of the unit. Or at the very least, news from Hare on how their infiltrator was doing.

She hated waiting. So it wasn't a surprise that she felt on edge, like she was being watched. Which was silly, no-one was paying that much attention to them.

But still... someone - or something - had its focus on her... and she couldn't spot the source. All she could do was keep her senses sharp and wait.

By the Dragons, she hated waiting.

((You mean rp the conversation with Ran? I think we should. I just wanted to figure out if that's the ic option we want to go for. So everyone thinks that coming clean with Ran is for the best then?))

[it would certainly reduce the impact of Lenco's ace in the hole if it was made semi-official before hand.

And it would lend credibility to the planned Asylum defence too.]

Alright, you play Del Ran, Biologist.

Shaya breathed in and knocked on Commander Ran's door. She seemd calm and confidant, but the Moonschadow standing next to her could probably sense the underlying anxiety. Revealing Web's nature to a third party and requesting asylum for her was a huge gamble, but after weighing all the options, the three Exalted agreed that it was the best (and, indeed, only) path open to them. 

The Dawn clatched several pieces of paper in her left hand - Lenco's blackmail material, copied once more in Hanzo's much more passable handwriting. This would be their litmus test, of sorts, to see how Del Ran might handle a person's dark past. If he flew in a rage over the list, they obviously couldn't tell him about Web.

She nodded to the Abyssal. Being the better reader of people by far, it was Web who would decide to tell Ran or not. Just then, the door opened. 

"Commander," she greeted the veteran soldier. "There is one more matter that I'd like to discuss."

Commander Del Ran was surprised to see the Chumyo again. He saluted her and acknowledged Web's presence with a stoic look. "Of course, sir, come in." he said matter of factly. "Tea?" There was some amusement in the last statement.

After the women had entered, Del Ran closed the door behind them. The room was furnished much like the other rooms for visiting commanders. Most furniture looked unused, however, their superfluous presence an insult in the eyes of the veteran. None the less, as hospitality dictated, he offered Shaya and Web a seat and placed a cup in front of them.

"Please, continue."

Web wasn't sure what to expect - despite having met Del Ran before. However - if there was to be any chance of beating Lenco at his own game, on home ground - she had to take the risk of revealing herself to a third party.

From the short meeting she'd had with the Earth Exalt, she hoped that he would at least listen to them. Of course, there was always the off-chance he was a stickler for the rules. In which case, her nature was better kept secret.

Standing beside and slightly behind Shaya, as was appropriate due to the difference in ranks, Web returned Shaya's nod - indicating readiness to observe reactions.

The traditional tea and hospitality was offered, after momentary surprise at the re-visitation.

So far, so good.

"Thank you, Commander." Web accepted the tea, and took a seat alongside Shaya.

Edited by Takhesis