Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

((I think its Nexus itself... but I maybe wrong there... I pick Nexus as its a big centralized River Province city, unless real location is found. Yay for LotR reference and just to finish it off....))

"A single Dragonblood might be able to infiltrate." Pheonix speculated, before turning her attention to the matters at hand, namely introducing the two Solars.

"Captain, there's someone you should meet. Another survivor of Lookshy." She lowered her voice slightly - knowing that despite their commander being one there may be some concern about the presence of another Solar.

"An artificer called Hanzo. I believe he only survived due to receiving a Golden Exaltation." May not be the correct term, but it certainly was better than the insulting term used by the rest of Creation.

Edited by Takhesis

Shaya turned to Pheonix: "A single dragon-blood should be able to get into the Imperial City, yes. But getting an invitation to the Imperial Manse would require a great deal of subtlety and that, I'm afraid, is not your strong suit." Her expression was neutral as she said this; before, she might have winked, but now, all joy and playfulness seemed to be gone from her.

"And let us suppose you do get in - do you think you could kill the Empress on your own? No, this is not a one-man job, though it attests to your bravery that you would consider it."

"Besides", the Dawn added as she mounted her horse, "the River Council, slow and inept as it is, gets a vote in this. With Lookshy gone, they are defenseless and whatever else we do, we must leave behind an army to protect them. For 800 years Lookshy has defended the Riverlands against the Dynasty and we are not about to stop just because some b*tch on a scarlet throne blows up our city."

Turning to Web, Shaya said "Given that High Command is no longer functional at this time, you shall tell your story to me. Leave nothing out and do not expect me to have any patience if you trifle with me."

"We ride for Nexus. Hare, make sure other survivors know where we've gone."

Turning her horse East, Shaya gestured for Web, Pheonix and Hanzo to ride next to her. She eyed Hanzo with some curiousity, having questions for him, but decided that Web's story held greater importance for now.

The rest of the unit fell into their usual pattern, alternatively scouting ahead and scanning the surrounding lands for trouble, with Hare finishing the last of the secret code that would alert any other remaining patrols to find them in Nexus.

((Nexus it is and then we need to decide where to take this next. We can do small scale (stealth/subterfuge and go after the Empress with a small group) or large scale (go after the Empress with an army). Since this *is* Exalted, I'd be in favor of large scale ("and then I hit her WITH MY ARMY"). Not to mention that with a General, Warrior, Artificer and Diplomat, raising an army seems to play to their strengths more. We could also take another page from LotR and have our army knock on the gates of the Imperial City while we sneak in through the backdoor.

Also: Ah, the joy of watching Solar Stubborness in action. Nevermind that the Empress BLEW UP LOOKSHY. We have at least one unit left, so as far as Shaya is concerned, the Seventh Legion is operational and will do what it has always done (aka protect the Riverlands). And I pity the River Council if they try to disagree with her laugh.gif.))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Shaya turned to Pheonix: "A single dragon-blood should be able to get into the Imperial City, yes. But getting an invitation to the Imperial Manse would require a great deal of subtlety and that, I'm afraid, is not your strong suit." Her expression was neutral as she said this; before, she might have winked, but now, all joy and playfulness seemed to be gone from her.

"And let us suppose you do get in - do you think you could kill the Empress on your own? No, this is not a one-man job, though it attests to your bravery that you would consider it."

"Besides", the Dawn added as she mounted her horse, "the River Council, slow and inept as it is, gets a vote in this. With Lookshy gone, they are defenseless and whatever else we do, we must leave behind an army to protect them. For 800 years Lookshy has defended the Riverlands against the Dynasty and we are not about to stop just because some b*tch on a scarlet throne blows up our city."

Turning to Web, Shaya said "Given that High Command is no longer functional at this time, you shall tell your story to me. Leave nothing out and do not expect me to have any patience if you trifle with me."

"We ride for Nexus. Hare, make sure other survivors know where we've gone."

Hanzo heard himself being introduced. He froze momentarily when his Exaltation was mentioned. But he decided that if this Dragonblooded officer hadn't killed him because of it, then her captain probably wasn't going to kill him either... at least he passionately hoped so.

He stepped forward and saluted to the captain. "Hanzo, Assistent Artificer to the Chief Engineer, of the Engineering Division of the Seventh Legion. At your service, sir."

The captain looked imposing. Her calm face just made it worse. He had the impression that here stood a woman who would stop at nothing to take revenge for Lookshy. He also noticed the white armour being ripped at the side and stared at it involuntarily. He felt the need to fix it, to prove his worth. After a moment he snapped out of it and looked up into the amber eyes of the Captain.

Turning her horse East, Shaya gestured for Web, Pheonix and Hanzo to ride next to her. She eyed Hanzo with some curiousity, having questions for him, but decided that Web's story held greater importance for now.

The rest of the unit fell into their usual pattern, alternatively scouting ahead and scanning the surrounding lands for trouble, with Hare finishing the last of the secret code that would alert any other remaining patrols to find them in Nexus.

Hanzo did not have a horse and he did not feel confident enough to call the green steed, so he trudged along. He was in good shape, so he hoped he could keep up.

Edited by Biologist

Hanzo did not have a horse and he did not feel confident enough to call the green steed, so he trudged along. He was in good shape, so he hoped he could keep up.

"Here, Sir" said the soldier Shaya had adressed as Hare, while he saluted Hanzo: "take my horse."

((Hanzo might be new to the group, but he does rank just below the Gunzosha so it's fitting that he rides. Plus Hare isn't a very good rider and probably happy to have an excuse to go on foot.

Shaya will keep the pace low enough for Hare to keep up, though she makes a mental note to procure an additional horse at the first opportunity.))

((Army would be funny, plus being Exalted would be cinematic and appropriate - I assume your Eclipse will join us on route somewhere.))

Pheonix took up her position in the unit, glad that Shaya was back to take command. She may be able to make decisions, but the responsibility of leadership was not for her - at least she never thought so due to her temperament. As proved by her earlier statement - one Dragonblood wouldn't be able to kill the Empress - even she did manage to get close.

Hanzo did appear nervous at his introduction, and she did wonder why as she had mentioned her superior being a Solar. Plus Shaya's earlier Essence leak should have given it away - but guessed that there was too much on his mind to have noticed.

As the unit prepared to move out, Pheonix took the opportunity to reassure Hanzo as best she could:

"Remember what I said about my commander and why I didn't try to kill you on sight as the Immaculate teachings say?"

----

Web nodded at Shaya and started to tell her story, not wanting to provoke the Solar she started at the beginning. With her Exaltation, though she didn't linger long with that part - knowing that the Deathlord's plans would be of greater importance.

"I became an Abyssal Exalt about 10 months ago. I lived in a small village on the outskirts of the Threshold - the name escapes me, if it did have a name in the first place. Slavers visited and loaded up the children of the village - their parents did nothing to stop them because they didn't want trouble.... I couldn't help it - I tried to intervene, but the slavers had no qualms about cutting me down to size.

As I lay bleeding, a voice offered me a choice - to die a failure or to live and serve with the power to finish things. I chose to live. I don't quite know what happened next - but the only slaver to survive was one that didn't draw his blade.

That one I told to run and let all the others that dared to think of the village as an easy target know that it was under my protection. The children were freed, but the village cast me out as a demon.

I ended up serving Shadow of Cities - holding my end of the bargain. The way I saw it at the time was I end up in servitude to prevent the children being slaves."

Web didn't think it would change anyone's opinion of her - she was an Abyssal, a Champion of Death and no-one liked them. Especially after Thorns.

"I served as a go-between mostly - delivering plans and orders to the other Abyssals. Never on the front line directly, but always there to see the aftermath. It wasn't what I'd signed up for. Then he came across a hidden cache of knowledge and things got worse. I only saw a glimpse of what was inside - but what was there chilled whatever soul I have left to me. The Shadow of Cities intended to share that knowledge with the Mask of Winters in exchange for access to and use of the Mask's army. I was meant to broker that deal.. but as you know I went rogue."

[A Moonshadow going back on her word..... who'd have thought?]

Hanzo accepted the horse with a slight feeling of unease. But he saw the relief on the face of the soldier who had given him the horse and he guessed the horse was better spent on him, than on 'Hare'. He returned the salute and thanked him.

He took up position near the Captain as she had indicated he'd do - no, not the captain, for all they knew she was the new Chumyo, leader of the Seventh Legion and the General Staff. As her first lieutenant reminded him of the special status of her exalted commander, he looked at the woman again to see if he could see something he had missed... to see something he could recognize from what he was feeling himself. Now he was doubly intrigued by the White Jade armour she was wearing, as he had learned that each Exaltation had its own metal. And White Jade belonged to the Earth Exalts, definitively not to the Anathema... Solars, he corrected himself.

He caught himself staring at the armour a second time as he snapped out of his reverie, hoping nobody had noticed. He concentrated instead on the tale of the pale woman. Exalted by a Death Lord, apparently. He had only heard rumours and they were terrifying enough... he did not envy her. He wondered what metal belonged to that exaltation. He tried to discern a piece of metal on the Death Lord Exalted - or whatever they were called - but couldn't see any.

((definitively an army. We think big smile.gif ))

Shaya seemed to soften a bit as Web spoke about her Exaltation. "You did what you had to to protect your people. I can respect that."

Then she hardened again: "Though that does not forgive any atrocities you have committed since then."

As Web continued about the hidden knowledge Shadow of Cities had found, Shaya asked: "Where did he find this knowledge? Do you know what it contained? You must have seen something, if it scared you so much."

Shaya noticed Hanzo staring at her, but ignored him for now. She wanted to ask him if the Unconquered Sun has spoken to him as He had to her and, if so, whay He said. But now was neither the time nor place, with everyone listening.

((OMGosh you're right! If Shaya insists that the 7th legion is still operational and she is the highest ranking officer, that kinda makes her de facto Chumyo blink.gif. No one tell her, or her resolve might waver yet! That's one hell of a promotion and responsibility.

I think Mia will join somewhere in Nexus, after we start to gather our army. She can't read Looksy military code, so she won't know where to look for the others until they start making waves.))

[Web does have a Soulsteel dagger on her belt - unless it was confiscated by the unit. Either way its a Black metal which radiates an unnatural cold. Good point... and Nexus does make a good meeting area.... will Dace and Risa be joining us there?]

Web answered Shaya's questions in order, thankful at least she wasn't about to attack for a misguided choice.

"An old disused building in the bordermarshes - from the time of the Contagion I'd assume. As for what was inside - mainly books, but that wasn't what scared me."

"In the main room - central to the building was a 6-sided plinth. On that plinth rested orbs made of a material I hadn't seen before or since. I could detect Essence contained within them - but it wasn't Elemental, Solar, Lunar or Abyssal in nature. It was something completely different but it practically radiated Hatred."

"I had seen similar orbs before - those were made of Soulsteel and rather rare. Thank Creation. The ones that exist are bad enough - Soulbreakers they are called. Soulbreaker orbs contain Abyssal Essence, but whatever the orbs there contain.... I am truly terrified for what they could unleash."

[Maybe time for Hanzo to ask lots of technical questions.... I'll see if I can find a pic for the plinth/orbs]

Edited by Takhesis

Shaya looked a little pale. "Soulbreaker orbs. More than one? The destruction even one of those could wreak..."

"And containing an Essence you did not recognize. Could it have been Wyld? So close to the bordermarches, and Heaven knows the Raksha would love to wipe us all out. Either way, we will have to retrieve them. How long before your master - former master - moves again? Will he be slower and more cautious due to your betrayal?"

Shaya fervently prayed that there would be enough time to leave the Riverlands defended against Imperial invasion, before they had to move to deal with the Soulbreaker Orbs. But between the Empress and Shadow of Cities, she might have to choose the greater of two evils to deal with.

((Lookshy used a SB Orb against the Dynasty once, so Shaya has probably heard of them.

Odds are Web's weapons were confiscated out of principle (sorry!).

As for Dace and Risa, I think it would be an excellent idea to introduce them in Nexus. Unless we want to RP military bootcamp 24/7, we'll need an NPC to assume command of our army-to-be while we are off, for example, chasing SB Orbs.))

Hanzo was also rather shocked to hear about Soulbreaker Orbs. As a Lookshy citizen, he had heard of the time when the Realm was dispersed after using a Soulbreaker Orb. As an assistent artificer to the Chief Engineer he knew that there had even been a secret division which had tried, for a time, to replicate them, but failed. The amount of Soulsteel needed was atrocious and no other material was capable of delivering the desired effect. Thank the gods.

And here was a woman who claimed there were six of those orbs of unknown material and Essence. He tried to wait politely until the Chumyo was finished, but he could barely contain his questions. When he saw an opening, he joined the conversation.

"Excuse me, milady, for interrupting." He said to the Chumyo and turned to the Death Lord Exalted. "Could you describe - in detail - what they looked like? What colour was the material? What shape were they? Describe the Essence pattern for me..." He fired off question after question, inquiring about more and more technical details after each new answer.

((I think Web is probably not as technical as Hanzo, so he won't be able to deduce what the orbs are made of without seeing them first hand...))

Edited by Biologist

[Was only pointing that out for Hanzo - since he was looking for the material. And since Dace does command a mercenary unit in Nexus, he'll be there.]

Web considered both Shaya's and Hanzo's questions,

"Its possible that the Essence was the Wyld. As for how long we have... he'd most certainly be slowed, especially considering he'd lost 2 other agents as well. I'd say we have 2 weeks at most before they're reincarnated, then a month or so after that for him to train them to ready." Web was thinking of the other two Abyssals that Shaya had killed. The Daybreak was the most important one for that task - so it may be sooner rather than later. "So about a month and a half."

"As for what they looked like.. they were exactly the same size and shape as a normal Soulbreaker orb. The material was a greenish-purple colour - very metallic finish with no visible sign of decay over time. Magical materials were definitely used in their construction, though I have no clue which ones."

"The Essence that I detected followed no known pattern. Every time I thought I could identify it - the rhythm of the flow changed. Almost made me think Lunar because of the shifting - but something wasn't right about that... Lunar Essence can only change so much from its original form. The one thing I can say for sure about the Essence was the Hatred it radiated."

[Hmm not sure what else I can say about them... apart from Very Bad News]

Shaya gritted her teeth when she heard Web's estimate of two and a half months. It was at least two weeks to Nexus and then they still needed to summon the River Council, convince them to raise a new army, beat that no-doubt-ragtag band into a functioning fighting force and make it back to the Bordermarshes and the Soulbreaker Orbs before Shadow of Cities made his move. A simple sum of travel times showed her the impossibility of the task - unless they moved quicker.

She knew that Pheonix could move at great speeds and she herself could push her horse far beyond normal limits. But that only accounted for two of them and she was not leaving her unit behind. Bracing herself for the inevitable, she cast a glance at her new companions. Mouse had reported seeing Web use some sort of magic, though her real hope was placed on Hanzo, as the thought of asking an Abyssal for help made her skin crawl.

"If either of you knows a way to get us to Nexus more quickly, now is the time to speak up" she said, forcing herself to include Web in the question.

((Pulling out my map of Creation: Lookshy - Nexus is circa 570 miles. Further referring to 2E Corebook p.264-267:

* Best case scenario: If we can pick up 2 quality horses (maybe a sidetrip to the Marukani?) for Pheonix and Hanzo, our base travel time is 1 month and 3 days (31 days); assuming Open Terrain (no modifier), Trails (+1/8), Long Distance (-1/4), Exceptional Horses (+1/8), Enduring Mounts (+1/8), Accurate Maps (+1/8) and Make Haste (+1/4) that makes for a final travel time of 15-16 days.

* Current scenario: If we cannot pick up new horses and Pheonix plus Hanzo need to share horses with others, our base travel time is 31 days; assuming Open Terrain (no modifier), Trails (+1/8), Long Distance (-1/4), Accurate Maps (+1/8) and Make Haste (+1/4) that makes for a final travel time of 23 days.

* Worst case scenario: If we cannot share horses and must go on foot, our base travel time is 2 months and one week (aka 63 days); assuming Open Terrain (no modifier), Trails (+1/8), Long Distance (-1/4), Accurate Maps (+1/8) and Make Haste (+1/4) that makes for a final travel time of 47 days. This does not included the use of Athletics charms, but I don't think there is a charm that allows you to run for over 2 months.

* Alternate option: Finding a powered river barge (aka river travel, upstream assisted) our base travel time is 1 month, 1 week and 2 days (37 days); assuming Open Terrain (no modifier), Trails (+1/8), Long Distance (-1/4), Exceptional barge (+1/8), Accurate Maps (+1/8) and Make Haste (+1/4) that makes for a final travel time of 24 days. This does not include the use of Sail charms, but Sail is pretty specific (aka only useful if you actually travel on water a lot) so even Web might not have any.

Yes, I've calculated Exalted travel times many, many times before laugh.gif #seasonedST

Re SBO: Web's description could go either way - a shifting Essence would indicate Wyld, but pure Hatred is more an Infernal thing. Could also be Autochtonian, but do any of us even know about Autobot? The color of the metal, greenish-purple, is probably the biggest give-away. Normally I'd say roll Int + Lore/Occult, but since we don't have actual stats... unsure.gif ))

(( I doubt anyone knows of Autocthon, and the dual thing was deliberate - Web doesn't know what they are so description can apply to either or even both. Hanzo can still speculate however, based on his work as an artificer - possibly an alloy or something else?))

Pheonix could tell that Shaya was trying to calculate their chances of getting to Nexus, getting the Council to agree and going after the Orbs before Web's Deathlord started moving. And it didn't look good.

She also knew Shaya wasn't about to leave anyone behind in haste.

Web considered her own Essence reserves and did a quick calculation of her own - it would drain the rest of her powers, but it was possible. Assuming, of course, the unit agreed to it.

"Shadow walking.... that would cut some time off." She knew that Tinker at least would know what she was referring to, since he followed her path easily during the fight. Though with the numbers involved, they'd need pretty big shadows....aka the Underworld and Labyrinth.

Technically travel in both took the same time, but a short-cut could be forged - if they used shadowlands as gateways.

[Doubt Shaya will like that much..... especially as while they're in the Underworld Web can regain her Essence faster than the rest of the Exalts.]

((Didn't Lookshy have an Air Force? biggrin.gif

I do not want to make Hanzo too powerful just yet, so I do not think he has another travel spell that gets everybody to Nexus in a few hours. They do exist though smile.gif ))

After Web had given her description, Hanzo was deep in thoughts. After a while he said "I have only once seen a metal you just described, although I did not have the ability to feel its Essence at the time. My master summoned a demon to assist in a particularly difficult forging process. It wore a bracelet of green-purplish metal. Could it be related?"

At the question of the Captain, Hanzo shook his head. "Sorry, sir, I cannot help with speeding our travel. I remember the existence of powerful magic that would make a boat out of sunlight or fly a house with giant wings and it would take mere hours to get to Nexus, I even vaguely remember gates, used to travel across Creation in an instant... but I..." He bit his lip in frustration. "I am not powerful enough. Yet. Maybe there is some Lookshy Equipment at outposts that has not been destroyed?"

He did not like the idea of going through shadows, but it might be their only option.

Shaya controlled her horse perhaps a little more sharply than strictly necessary while she considered her options. Well, option, really; there was only one way forward. She wasn't sure which she disliked more: having no alternatives, or having to turn to an Abyssal for help. The latter, probably.

"Thank you for offering to help", she managed. She hoped she sounded civil at least. She didn't feel very civil; she felt trapped and somewhat murderous.

"We shall 'shadow walk' then. What do you need?"

((Lookshy might have had an aerial legion, but it would have been kept inside the city walls. So it's either in ashes or at the bottom of a lake now.))

Web considered Hanzo's answer, while Shaya considered her travel option.

"It could be related. Though what demon-metal was doing in the Bordermarsh would open a lot more questions."

When Shaya came to the conclusion that shadow walking was the only viable option and accepted it, Web did feel slightly guilty about what was going to be said next.

"Considering the Essence cost to take the unit, it would be easier to initate the walk from a shadowland.... though its not an absolute requirement. Should give a warning about it though - the Underworld doesn't like the intrusion a group of the living would cause."

"On the other side stick close... the walls like shifting places." Web hated that aspect of the Labyrinth, never constant and the safe paths kept changing. Though her Caste Mark would guarantee the denizens wouldn't attack.

[yay for the Eclipse/Moonshadow aura... at least til someone else attacks. If Web does need to open the way outside a shadowland it would cause a scar in Creation... pretty certain that would be known fact.]

Shaya looked at Pheonix and an unspoken understanding passed between them. Both of them were headstrong and in this case, they were 'in for a Siu, in for an Obol *. If a Shadowland was needed, then a Shadowland they would provide.

(( * In other worlds also know as 'in for a Penny, in for a Pound' wink.gif.

Given her greater speed (aka Athletics) it would probably make sense for Pheonix to take Hare and scout for a Shadowland. That is, is we don't know the location of one already - I assume the 7th Legion keeps on top of these things.))

Pheonix nodded imperceptibly at Shaya. Shadowlands were part of the sevenths intelligence gathering division - if only due to the threat they posed. The question is how close would the nearest one be....

Pheonix thought back to all the tactical maps that Lookshy had. She'd seen them so many times, yet took them for granted.

"I think there's a small one to the south - a day or so's ride from here."

(( Yay for maps that show shadowlands. Like this one ))

Hanzo felt his hackles rise. The closest Shadowland was The Mourning Field. The place that was wrecked by the Soul Breaker Orb that sent the Realm fleeing back to their Blessed Isle. A horrid and wretched place, even for a Shadowland. Or so he had heard.

How ironic.

"Maybe I can still be of assistance. I think I know how to summon a spirit that can relay a message to anyone in Creation. At least we can summon the River Council from here. It would save us time."

He looked at Shaya and at her silent nod, he began gathering Essence to summon the messenger spirit. It arrived shortly after he finished the words of power and he relayed the message in his most imposing voice.

"To the current Major Domo of the Council of Rivers. The City of Lookshy has been destroyed by the Scarlet Empress. The Chumyo of the Seventh Legion demands the Council convenes in Nexus in a week."

The spirit, a small humanoid creature with white feathery wings, sped away as the final words of the message had been spoken. Hanzo looked pleased: his second feat of magic had been successful without incidents.

Edited by Biologist

((Ironic things always occur.... either that or its the Pattern Spider's having a laugh.))

Web nodded and then started planning the route.

"Closest exit to Nexus is the Ebon Spires shadowland. Hopefully news of my switching sides has not yet been carried to Walker in Darkness. Evading his notice entirely won't be possible, but as long as we're not there long, he shouldn't be bothered by us."

"Although that location may work too... little small, and may get expanded by the traffic, but could be a safer option..." This was mused half to herself.

Edited by Takhesis

((I think we can safely assume that Nexus has a Shadowland somewhere in its city boundaries (it even has a Wyld Pocket!). The Ebon Spires has a killing miasma of its own, if the Death Lord doesn't get us first... and it is about as far from Nexus as Lookshy biggrin.gif. So let's say Web knows of a small tomb in Nexus (or near Nexus) that can function as an exit. Is that all right with you?))

Edited by Biologist

((If you see the map I linked...here it is again The whole shaded area is the shadowland and the closest edge is about half the distance away. But if you don't want any plot twist involving the fact Walker and Mask are rivals then so be it....))

Shaya's eyed widened in shock when Hanzo referred to her as the Chumyo of the Seventh Legion. She felt too uncertain, too young and too untested to carry the title. But she managed to pull herself together and contain her doubt; she had to. The Generals and Senior Staff would have been in Lookshy for Calibration when the Empress struck, so the odds of a Captain now being the highest ranking officer were substantial.

The River Council would only respond to strength, so strength she would project. Find a Shadowland, be the Chumyo - whatever it took to see the River Province safe and the Scarlett Empress dead, she would do. She only hoped the others didn't see her doubt as she pretended to look around for Pheonix and Hare to return from their scouting mission.

((I faintly remember a mini-Shadowland in a tomb deep under Nexus in one of the novels, though I'm not 100% sure. And didn't the creators of Exalted once say that not all Shadowlands were known/mapped; only the big ones?

For me it's not so much about avoiding a plot with the Walker, which would definitely be interesting, but about the fact that Lookshy --> Mourning Field --> Ebon Spires --> Nexus might not be much shorter than Lookshy --> Nexus, so in that case we'd have no reason to risk going through the Underworld (and I do want to risk it! It sounds like fun - ooc).

Edit: wait while I measure it.

LS-N = 4.5 cm <-- Creation

LS-MF = 0.5 cm <-- Creation

MF-ES = 7 cm <-- Underworld

EB-N = 2.5 <-- Creation

The difference in Creation-based travel would be 1.5 cm = 170 Miles = circa 5-7 days assuming horse travel with all modifiers as above. Would that be enough to compensate for travel from the Mourning Field to the Ebon Spires in the Underworld, with the added risk of an encounter with the Walker and that whole breathe-the-air-and-die thing the Ebon Spires have going on?))

[hmmm ick.... trying to work out how the Labyrinth really effects travel times is brain-breaking. With a guide it can cut the time needed by about ~1/3, without one can get hopelessly lost.... hmmm will leave it up to the players to pick.]

Web finally looked up from her calculations, and addressed Shaya,

"There are two exits the we can use. The one in Walker's domain near the Ebon Spires to the East of Nexus. That one can cope with traffic, but there's a risk of meeting Walker or his agents - plus its not exactly a hospitable area."

"The other exit is within Nexus itself, but is a much smaller one and there is a possibility that moving more than one or two people through it in a short time will destabilise the surrounding area and cause it to grow."

-----------

Pheonix had gone on ahead with Hare to make sure the path ahead was clear. Hare did not like the idea of trusting the Abyssal, but he accepted that haste was needed - if she spoke truly. The shadowland itself would be the most dangerous part of the overland journey - but the entry point was one that Lookshy had kept a close eye on - to ease its collective conscience after creating such a cursed area.

Pheonix and Hare returned from their assigned scout, not long after Web had indicated there was a choice in exits.

((I think the Ebon Spires are out sad.gif.

Her [Princess Magnificent's] curse instantly slays any mortals who enter the shadowland, casting their souls immediately into the Void. Only the Exalted enjoy some immunity. (They die more slowly.) Even Abyssal Exalted are affected by this curse [...]

Since we would be travelling by shadow so the mortal unit doesn't have to stay behind, going somewhere that instantly kills them isn't going to help.

But there is also some good news; Nexus does indeed have a shadowland, though it is occupied by hungry ghosts. If you have 2E Underworld, it's on p.64: The Nexus Basement. It's a small, insignificant and ugly little shadowland, but a shadowland nonetheless. The same book holds a chart for Labyrinth navigation on p. 116-117 but that requires stats.

But if we want to raise an army out of thin air and sticks, we might very possibly be stopping by Denandsor for First Age weaponry and such. Since the Walker is interested in Denandsor (he believes he founded the city in the 1A) we're bound to come across his agents then. All we need is for one of us to get a clue that Denandsor actually exists, but since Hanzo seems to remember flashes from his previous incarnation, we could have a lead there. So there would still be an opportunity to introduce the Walker later.))