Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

Shaya nodded to Hanzo; so that was what she was feeling. She'd already suspected something like this, since it was commonly known that the forces of the dead had the upper hand in combat. She didn't even think to turn back though: they were here now, they had to see it through.

Sword in hand, she carefully guided her unit into the Labyrinth by Web's instructions.

Web remained quiet as the group moved through the Labyrinth - speaking only to indicate the next turns to take. She was acutely aware of the potential dangers that could show up and she didn't wish to alert them by speaking more than was necessary - plus the Solar probably appreciated her silence after the earlier episode.

It was hard to tell the time passing - since there was no real indication of day or night here. Web knew the worst part was coming up - they were passing very close to one of the other Death Lord domains. And her servants were almost always moving about the Labyrinth - mainly ghost messengers but the occasional Abyssal could be seen. The ghost messengers would ignore them - unless provoked.

((Shaya will follow Web's lead as long as the Abyssal appears to be faithful to their deal.

Do we want them to have an encounter in the Labyrinth or be lucky?))

((I have no experience with the Underworld, but I can read up on it and post an ecounter, if you two like..)

((I have no experience with the Underworld, but I can read up on it and post an ecounter, if you two like..)

((I'm all for it.))

The trek through the Labyrinth was gruelling. From the mouth of the Shadowland and the Mirror Bridge, the Unit ventured into deep and dark tunnels of roughly hewn black stone. Light sources did not spread their light very far and a heavy, almost palpable atmosphere of dread permeated the very air. For the first day they walked in silence, the halls and corridors empty and cold. Their guide had to concentrate to find her way in the ever shifting madness of the Labyrinth, but the overall feeling of progress was prevalent: hey were getting somewhere.

The second day, after a furtive night with little sleep and anxious vigilance, the group ventured deeper into the darkness. The walls shifted in colour and texture and from the edges of their perception they could hear whispers, barely audible and almost comprehensible. It stirred unnamed, deep rooted fears in all of them.

This was nothing like anything any of them had heard about the Underworld, which should be a dead reflection of Creation. This was a nightmare come to life, a blasphemous place with bleeding walls of gnawed flesh and monstrous cave mouths frozen in silent screams of agony. And the perpetual gloom and isolation worked on their mood and sanity. The Exalts were cut off entirely from their supply of Essence and they couldn’t help but feel deserted. They truly were on their own now.

Web knew that for the fastest travel, one had to penetrate deep into the layers of the Labyrinth for the most effective short cut. It also meant coming close to the Tombs of the Neverborn. A risk she had to take to make good on her promise to get them to Nexus within six days. It also meant coming closer to the source of the madness that permeated this place. Hopefully the sanity of the mortals would hold more or less intact.

After four days – only Web had retained any notion of time in this desolate place - every man and woman looked grey and tired. They had traversed countless halls and corridors, which started to look more frighteningly familiar with each day. No-one had gotten enough sleep and the sleep they had gotten was riddled with alien nightmares of dreams of grotesque horrors. Even the food started to taste bitter as if that too had begun to give in to the ever changing nature of the Labyrinth. At this level nothing looked natural anymore and they had still not seen or heard anything move other than themselves, when…

Shaya came to an abrupt halt when the corridor they had been traversing opened up onto a broad slab of still black water. It was an unexpected turn for Web, it should not have been here. She looked back for another option, but the walls had shifted again. They were trapped. Slowly a barge came towards them, gliding silently upon the water. On the barge stood a lone Ferryman, clad in frayed and tattered robes of ephemeral black, skeletal hands working the single oar. As it glided to the shore and the group, the barge halted just before touching the black stone. With a voice sounding like a thousand screams, sending shivers down the spine of everyone, he whispered: “Children of Creation. The fare for crossing is the usual price.”

((Wow that is an epic description. I'm feeling freaked out and depressed just from reading it.))

Shaya had not enjoyed her trek through the Labyrinth so far. It was both monotonous and horrifying and she was more than a little concerned for the well-being of her people. Oddly enough, the interference of this Ferryman, which was a tangible threat at least, came as a relief to her.

Narrowing her eyes at the Ferryman, she made no effort to hide the contempt from her voice.

"And pray do tell: what is the 'usual price'?"

She cast a glance back to Web, making sure to catch her eye, and, as the Ferryman could not see her face right now, very deliberately looked down to the sword at her side before making eye contact with the Abyssal again. Shaya didn't know how big a threat this boatsman was, but Web might know and the Dawn was spoiling for a fight. Besides, she was fairly certain that 'the usual price' would be horrible and not one she wanted to pay regardless.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

((yay the Ferryman of the Dead...... and I get the feeling there'll be a fight..... just to ease tensions. Unless its the Charon version - then he can be bought with coin.))

Web was caught unawares by this shift in the Labyrinth, and it looked like their previous route was blocked. Web had not encountered the Ferryman before - but she at least knew the stories about him.

She also caught Shaya's glance at her and the sword - Web recognized the fact that the Dawn wanted to fight something to break the monotony of the journey.

To answer Shaya's unspoken question, Web nodded slightly - a fight would probably be inevitable.

To try and answer the spoken one - Web stepped into the sight line of the Ferryman and let her Caste Mark show. Perhaps the Ferryman would recognize it and waive the toll for them... the price wasn't one that many of the living would want to pay.

"Ferryman of the Labyrinth - you see the mark I bear and know what it means. Would you tempt the wrath that comes from defying what it symbolizes?" Web was taking the gamble that the Ferryman hadn't heard of her betrayal - and also that the Moonshadow aura would at least stay his hand for a while.

The spectral form of the Ferryman bowed slightly to Web. With a voice that grated on her nerves he answered her. "Daughter of the Neverborn. I assure you I shall not lay a finger on you or any under your protection. As by the will of your Master. The passage will be safe for all aboard." It raised a skeletal finger. "Safe, but not free of charge."

It turned to Shaya and answered her question. She was now the focus of its immediate attention. It made her skin crawl. "The price, daughter of living Creation, is a significant memory from each passenger that wishes to be ferried, given to me to sacrifice to the Void." When it uttered the last word, its voice sounded frighteningly empty and desolate as if it had drawn the attention of the Ultimate Nothing itself to this fateful meeting.

((Web probably knows this with her knowledge of the Labyrinth: it is *a* Ferryman, there are more in the Labyrinth. The price is always the same, though.))

((We can choose to begin combat biggrin.gif Either physical (Shaya) or social (Web)... I have stats for this... this thing. So bring it on tongue.gif ))

Shaya's eyes widened in amazement. Oh, she wasn't surprised that this thing would ask for such a price; it was a creature from the Labyrinth, after all. No, she was surprised that it would ask such a price from them, or more specifically: her. This creature clearly didn't know who it was dealing with. But she was willing to educate on the matter.

This time, the contempt in her voice was so thick, that she was almost mocking it.

"There will be no sacrifices to the Void from us. Unless, maybe, you."

Her hand moved to her sword and she started to call upon the Sun to grant her Power.

((Yep, Shaya is activating charms. Solar Essence use in the Abyss won't draw too much attention, will it? laugh.gif

However, I'm specifically ending my post before she launches to attack: Web still has time for a Social Attack if she wants.))

((True that.... now Hanzo has confirmation of Web's power source from the Ferryman's words. Which would likely worry him.

And Solar Essence in the dark.... that could be interesting.))

As the Ferryman had recognized her Mark, Web could try to capitalize on it. As she suspected - the price of a memory wasn't one that those that traveled with her wanted to pay.

A thought occurred to her - was memory the only thing that could be traded? No-one liked the the presence of the Soulsteel dagger - perhaps that could be sacrificed instead.

"Would a trade of equal value as memories be accepted? An item that bears the mark of its previous owners could be offered as payment for the group."

She could only hope that the Solar Essence she could feel being gathered was too alien to the Ferryman for it to be recognized. Since her aura only worked to protect if none of the group it protected took a hostile action.

Web was also hoping that someone in the unit would be able to produce the item she was referring to - the confiscated dagger.

The hood of the spectral robes turned from Shaya to Web in an almost nonchalant way. It told Shaya that this thing was not concerned about her being much of a threat. Either a fatal mistake from him or...

"What could you possibly offer me that is as valuable as *ten* significant memories, little one."

Its tone was mocking, but Web could tell that this thing was interested enough to inquire about her alternative.

Web chose her next words carefully - aware that both the group's and the Ferryman's fate could be decided on them.

"The item I speak of is one that has been carried by different incarnations of the same Exalt. As such it retains the Essence imprint from multiple lifetimes."

Web may not have known that, if the dagger hadn't been gifted to her with the words - May it serve you as well as it did your predecessor. That and the fact it felt familiar even though she hadn't held it before in her own lifetime.

There would be, of course, some objection about the morality of sacrificing the souls that it contained. But perhaps the sacrifice to the Void would at least ease their suffering from the forging process.

[Which Unit member would currently be in possession of the dagger? I'm assuming Shaya wouldn't be due to her disgust at the item + the opposite Essence it would conduct would feel worse...]

The thing hovered on its barge of white bleached bones for a moment. In its solemn voice, it said: "I do not ferry passengers on promises alone. Show me the item you speak of, servant of the Neverborn, that I may gauge its worth."

While Web's cryptic references had confused Shaya at first, by now she'd caught on which item the Abyssal was referring to. Nodding to Pheonix, Hanzo and Mouse to give their input if they had any, she turned to Web: "That thing contains souls, right? Tell me why tossing them in the void is preferable to lobbing this thing's head off?"

Oddly enough, despite the harsh phrasing, there was no judgement in her voice. She was asking for options and input, even if she was rather blunt. Shaya knew that Soulsteel meant Souls, but she was also aware that her knowledge wad lacking beyond that and, therefore, too limited to make a call just like that.

((Ah, here we have the Moonshadow dancing so eloquently around telling the Ferryman it's a *soulsteel* item, and in steps the Dawn laugh.gif. Dawns are renowned throughout creation for their subterfuge and sublety, you know.))

"Very well," Web replied to both the Ferryman and Shaya's very blunt statement.

"May I have my dagger please?" She asked Mouse quietly, trying not to startle her any more than she already was. Whether Mouse was still more scared of the Abyssal than the surroundings was up for debate.

Then she answered Shaya,

"The forging of Soulsteel means endless torment for the souls used. The Void is the Ultimate End." That should answer the moral implication, as for the violent part...

"Chances are the Ferryman's brethren would come along if Physical force was used... which would certainly attract attention."

Pheonix mentally facepalmed at Shaya's bluntness compared to the Abyssal's careful wording. She didn't like the idea of Soulsteel - it was unnatural and creepy, but sacrificing souls to the Void sounded like a rather Evil thing to do.

Edited by Takhesis

Shaya looked thoughtfully at Web for a moment, then nodded almost impreceptibly to Mouse, who handed the Abyssal her dagger back. Either Shaya had found a measure of trust for the Moonshadow, or she had decided she might as well lob off two heads while she was at it.

When Web finished her explanation, Shaya glanced at Hanzo and Mouse for confirmation on what she had just been told. The mortal Thaumaturge nodded, so that only left Hanzo's input.

"How can we be certain that thing will toss it into the Void right away and not toy with it first? And, not unimportantly, does such a sacrifice strengthen the... uhm... Sleepers?" Not calling the Neverborn by their name while in the middle of the Labyrinth and a stones throw away from their Tombs, was probably as subtle as Shaya would get.

((Considering their respective Social stats, Web can probably tell that Shaya is starting to trust her a little. They spent nearly a week down here and Web has remained cooperative and did not betray them (yet, at least).))

((Think I'll let Hanzo give his input before Web continues her 'bargaining' with the Ferryman.))

((Well, I am a bit in doubt. I like the fact that Web thought out of the box and came up with a perfect solution besides paying up or violence. As the player of Hanzo, he would know that chucking the souls into the Void would deny them the chance to ever reach Lethe, and that there is no known way to release them from soulsteel [either because it is impossible or no-one really tried hard enough yet (I feel a quest coming up smile.gif )]. He would tell Shaya, for he is not really social savvy enough to see that *that* would be enough to send Shaya in a fit of rage and start the violence, ruining Web's chances of solving it without a fight. What would you do?))

((I'm not sure Shaya would immediately rage, but preventing souls from reaching Lethe and effectively removing them from the cycle of reincarnation, when we're not 100% certain there might be a way to 'save them' (aka release the souls from the dagger) would probably be a deal-breaker for her despite the fact that it's an otherwise perfect solution (pays the ferryman, gets us to our destination, gets rid of the dagger).))

Hanzo had been silent for most of the trip, the Labyrinth had had a profound effect on him. It was a mix between awe, curiosity and abject terror. This was the first time he had really been asked for his professional opinion and it took him a moment to shake the gloom and doom of his surroundings.

"Er, well, that is to say," ... and then he shifted into his role as artificer.

"Soulsteel is indeed a torment on the soul that was used for the forging of it. Therefore it was only done to the utterly irredeemable who did not deserve the quick release of death, but eternal torment. By throwing it into the Void, it will be utterly destroyed, steel and soul. But the soul inside will be lost and not able to return to Lethe."

He thought for a moment. "As far as I know, there is no way to release a soul from the Soulsteel it was made into. That could be because there was never a need to reverse the process. I might be able to find a way to do it, with the right Forge, a complete team of engineers and enough of Soulsteel to experiment on. I would certainly be willing to try. But... I am not sure it would be discovered quickly. It might take several years at the very best."

As far as Hanzo was concerned this was a fair estimate. He was confident that with more memories, he could probably achieve the level of crafting genius that he needed, the skill he seemed to recall from his previous incarnations...

Shaya considered her options. She didn't like any of them very much. Giving the dagger to the Ferryman was an immediate solution to a myriad of problems: it would pay their fare, get them to Nexus, relieve them of the dagger's presence and end the torment of the souls inside. It was very convenient and it was also wrong.

These souls belonged to Creation, they were still under the protection of the Unconquered Sun and, therefore, under her protection. And while she didn't grasp the finer points of the relationship between the Neverborn and the Void, she was pretty sure that sacrificing to the one would make the other stronger. As long as there was any chance they could destroy the dagger and return the souls to the cycle of reincarnation, they had to try it; and Hanzo just admitted that this subject was far from exhausted.

She wanted to tell Web to go ahead and make the deal - it would solve so many problems at once - but she felt herself choking on the words.

((So obviously if it were up to Shaya, we wouldn't give the Ferryman the dagger. But I'd feel kinda bad having her decide for the entire group, because it would cast our lot; just because Shaya is the commander of the unit IC, does not mean I get to dictate the story OOC.

To be clear, OOC I'm also against giving the dagger because I predict a bad fall-out from that in the future. Shaya's motivation is pretty much "Defend Creation and serve the Unconquered Sun" and throwing souls into the void is kinda the opposite of that xd.png. But if you two both want to go that way, I'll acquiesce.))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

((Well the Ferryman could also refuse the deal, depending on how he views Soulsteel value compared to the value of a memory?))

So as not to keep the Ferryman waiting and test his patience too much, Web held her Soulsteel dagger by the blade and extended the hilt over her other arm.

Her pose was more of a ritual presentation than a battle-ready stance.

The group was in agreement over one thing - they wouldn't be paying in memories, but the dagger situation was one they'd be divided on. If only because of the trapped souls within it.

"This is the item I was referring to as alternative payment." The dagger, though its color matched that of her robes, was still visible due to the committed Essence creating a black-light glow around its outline.

"What is your judgement on the value?"

There was a subtle change in the stance of the Ferryman. It grew taller and hunched over forward slightly in a greedy manner when the Soulsteel dagger was presented to it. Its hands reached for the dagger with clawing fingers, but it froze when it became aware of its own reaction.

"Thou would offer up a soul's worth of memories for the passage?" It sounded hungry. "Specifically *this* soul?" Its tone was nightmarish, but Web sensed some kind of hesitation, as if it was expecting a trap. "That would be an offering worthy of a daughter of the Neverborn."