Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

((Makes you wonder how a Deathlord survives in that cursed zone, since all they really are is high Essence Abyssals. Actually not really - they were Essence 13/14 Solars that exposed themselves to the Tombs of the Neverborn.... but still how does the curse not effect Walker?!?))

Edited by Takhesis

((Technically speaking, Deathlords are ghosts. Thirteen Solars died and their ghosts accepted the offer to become Deathlords, but their Solar Shards moved on. The Neverborn imbued them with Neverborn Shards to replace their Solar Shards and make them supercharged never-before-seen ghosts with all sorts of special powers and immunities, but when all is said and done, they are still ghosts.

This is why The Lover can be the ghost of Bright Shattered Ice, while Arianna is the Solar incarnation of Bright Shattered Ice.

It's also why the smarter Deathlords are secretly terrified of their Abyssals and keep them on a very short leash. Supercharged Neverborn-imbued Essence-ten ghosts might outclass a starting Abyssal, but in the long run nothing trumps the power of a Solar/Abyssal Shard* and the Deathlords know it.

So the answer to the question "how does the Walker survive in the Ebon Spires" is probably: because the curse only affects the living and the Walker is no longer alive.

* Save, possibly, an Infernal in their chosen field. The Solars and Abyssals are better all-rounders, but Infernals are powerhouses in their niches.))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Pheonix hadn't heard the full options available but since they were going to be pushed for time,

"May I suggest we take the fastest route?" Of course, the risk of destabilizing and allowing a shadowland to grow inside a major population center may have changed her mind had she known that part.

Shaya looked at Pheonix. In better times she might have teased 'you always suggest the faster route', but now she merely nodded and considered what her Lieutenant had said. She did not relish the thought of ripping the fabric of Creation in the middle of a city, but they might have no choice.

"How quickly can we travel on foot in the Labyrinth" she asked Web. "Would it make a difference for our exit if we left the horses behind?"

The thought of abandoning her horse, which had served her faithfully and felt like an anchor to Lookshy, did not sit well with Shaya, but she was not about to harm Nexus because she was too lazy to walk through the Underworld. If ten people exiting did less harm than ten people and eight horses, then they would leave the horses at the edge of the Mourning Field.

Web considered Shaya's questions carefully before answering.

"It would make it easier on the exit if the horses weren't used." As well as on the entry, but that is less of a problem to start with. "As for speed, foot is slower than riding though not by much... some of the paths are narrower than others. At a quick estimate, I'd say we'd be travelling at two thirds of our speed if we went by foot rather than on horseback."

It was a trade-off, horses moved faster - but most would be skittish in the Labyrinth, slowing the pace while acclimatizing and in some locations they'd need to dismount anyway to lead them.

Web still wasn't sure about whether she could stop the shadowland spreading if it did destabilise, and voiced that concern,

"However if the exit did become unstable, I don't know whether I'd be able to stop it from growing. Given time I could calculate the odds of that occurring, I don't want to be responsible for a death of a city." She hated to say it, but... "The Ebon Spires though not a pleasant place, would at least avoid that problem."

[Giving Hanzo time to input before the NPCs start protesting.]

Edited by Takhesis

"The Ebon Spires are far from Nexus though. In that case, we'd have to bring the horses and you spoke of narrow paths."

Contemplating their options, Shaya decided they could not afford to rush into this. Yes, they were in a hurry, but, she did not want to sacrifice Nexus to their haste anymore than the Abyssal did. If Web really could, somewhat accurately, predict the odds of the Shadowland destabilizing, then they had to know.

"How long do you need to calculate that?" she asked the Abyssal and then added "Our Thaumaturge and engineer will help you with your calculation, if that speeds things up."

Mouse's head whipped up sharply as she heard the Captain assign her to work with the Abyssal, but she did not object despite looking terrified.

"Its an inexact science. As odd as that sounds." Web said, "But all input would be welcome, with help I could calculate the risk within a few hours."

There are so many variables to take into account - running the calculation solo would require a lot of effort as well as a notebook to help remember the already calculated values. Multiple people could at least reduce the load on one brain.

[Pretty certain I could give the equation here - but it would just be a jumble of symbols, and not a pretty sight. Also Hanzo might be able to help with that... at least Mathematics would be within the scope of an Artificer.]

Shaping Essence wasn't Web's strong point, but perhaps the Thaumaturge would have some insight into refining the Essence used to reduce impact.

((Yay! Calculations, mathematics, patterns and eidetic memory. Those were the things I envisioned Hanzo would be best at from the beginning smile.gif ))

Hanzo followed the conversation between the Chumyo and the Death Lord Exalted with interest. When she offered his help, he glowed with pride. After all, calculations, pattern recognition and remembering things were his strong points. Those were the qualities that got him his post as Assistant Artificer to the Chief Engineer himself.

He rode closer to the pale young woman with the raven hair and started asking questions again. This time, Web would be able to answer them, for they were about the principle of calculating Labyrinth travel. After about ten minutes, Hanzo nodded in understanding. "Now, what are the variables we have to put in?"

As Web summed up the different factors, the time reducing effects, the possibility of encountering denizens and other more obscure variables, Hanzo did the calculations by heart. As they progressed, memories of a dark and dangerous place that could trap an unwary traveler for years, slowly resurfaced. He must have traveled the Underworld in his previous lives, maybe that was why the calculations felt so familiar.

Half an hour later, as they rode on, he repeated the formula and the variables to Web, to see if he got them right and then he nodded again: they had the travel time. Now for the chance of disrupting a shadowland...

When they finished the estimation of the probability of the shadowland expanding with the ten of them going through, he turned to their black haired Chumyo.

((So, how long shall we say it takes? About 6 days? And how small is the chance of expanding the shadowland? If we are very careful, I'd say very small. There possibly are hungry ghosts on the other side, so we'll have plenty to keep ourselves busy with.))

((6 days sounds about right - 7 if things get interesting. With every care taken I'd say a 2-3% chance of expansion - it is still a small exit and 10 people are going to put strain on it.))

Shaya nodded when Web and Hanzo explained their estimate. She couldn't risk Nexus to a Shadowland, but she couldn't risk the Ebon Spires either. I'm caught between two evils and must choose.

"We ride for the Mourning Field and will leave the horses there. Our destination is Nexus." And may the Gods forgive me.

She hoped the others didn't see her doubt, but Pheonix and Tinker both knew her too well and the Abyssal seemed very perceptive. Well, then let's hope they see the resolve behind my doubt, too, because I *will* see us through.

((Nexus it is then. Shall I roll a d100 when we exit, to keep the outcome unpredictable?))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

((Sounds good to me. Plus it keeps Web on her toes.))

The first part of their journey would be the same no matter what - the Mourning Fields would be their first port of call. Then its to the Underworld.... it was anyone's guess what would happen there.

Pheonix could understand Shaya's hesitation in using the smaller exit - bad enough there was a shadowland inside the city without it expanding. She couldn't follow Web and Hanzo's conversation - she knew what it was about, but the calculations were beyond her ability to keep straight.

The one thing Shaya could count on was Pheonix's support whichever decision she made. If Nexus was the destination - Nexus it would be. Doubt was always going to a risk in large decisions, but Pheonix wasn't going to add to it by arguing - after all she had picked the fastest route, so it would be hypocritical for her to object.

Web noticed Shaya's brief moment of doubt as the estimate was given, but didn't say anything. She had her own doubts about her ability to control the exit if it did get out of hand. Plus she had to focus - the unit was counting on her to get them through the Labyrinth. No time for doubt with that responsibility hanging over her head.

Mouse had remained very quiet during the calculations, generally only speaking if asked a direct question and even then keeping her answers short and trying to avoid making eye contact. It seemed like she was nervous around everyone - apart from those she knew well.

As they set on their course to the Mourning Fields, Hanzo felt apprehensive. He had been a Helot for most of his life, which restricted his movement to within city limits. Only last year had he received the honour of being promoted to full Citizen, which would have given him more freedom. Yet he still had never been outside the walls of the city of Lookshy. He simply hadn't got the time. Travelling to Nexus, a week on a horse's back, sounded like an enormous endeavour. The short cut through the Labyrinth did not make it any better either.

Nexus. Cesspit. Centre of disorder and hypocrisy. Lookshyans had never been fond of the self styled centre of commerce and trade. In his youth, he had heard wild tales about what transpired there. They had called it the City between the River Harlot’s Legs and a hundred other, less complimentary names. Now he was going to visit it himself. He was going to see whether all the wild tales told about the place were true after all.

To take his mind off distracting thoughts, he rode up to the Chumyo. "Sir, I couldn't help but notice your armour is damaged. May I have a look at it before we venture into the shadow? Maybe I can make some repairs. If we still have time for that, of course."

Preposterous as it sounded - as Hanzo did not have a smithy at hand to mold the White Jade - he was completely sincere.

Shaya looked down her side, where torn straps and dried blood still spoke of her encounter with the two Abyssals.

"Yes" she nodded to Hanzo, "when there is time."

Riding next to him, she regarded the engineer thoughtfully. Another Solar. Is he like me?

"Did He speak to you?" she asked, the reverant emphasis she placed on the word making it clear who she meant. "What did He say?"

The unit rode out to the Mourning Field in formation. Shaya did not offer Web her dagger back and the Gunnzosha still kept an eye on her, but the two lancers were now focused outward, rather than on the Abyssal riding in their midst; either they were coming to accept her presence, or they simply deemed the Shadowland the greater threat.

((Shaya will not pause their ride to the Mourning Field to have her armour repaired and she is DEFINITELY NOT taking it off while in the Underworld (she'll be one of those crazy people sleeping in her armor down there xd.png). So repairs might have to wait til Nexus.))

((Well, how I understood the mechanics, you pass into the underworld through a shadowland during the night, so we might have an hour or two between arriving at the Mourning Fields and the sun actually setting below the horizon...? What do you think?))

((Well, how I understood the mechanics, you pass into the underworld through a shadowland during the night, so we might have an hour or two between arriving at the Mourning Fields and the sun actually setting below the horizon...? What do you think?))

((Let's do that. It will also give us an opportunity for some RP other than 'they rode on'.))

The sun had already passed its Zenith and was throwing large, lazy shadows onto the plains. Having reached the edge of the Mourning Field, the unit made camp as they waited for nightfall.

"Do you need anything?" Shaya asked Web, "To meditate or something?"

Removing her armor, she handed it to Hanzo.

"Just make sure you're done when night comes - I don't want to be caught off guard when the things in there start to awaken" she said as she gestured to the Shadowlands. As a matter of fact, she'd rather not remove her armor at all so close to the blight, but it was either chance it now, or enter the underworld with damaged armor.

Web shook her head,

"This close to the entry way, no extra trappings are necessary. Though I will meditate til the time comes."

Since they were going to leave the horses behind, Web tethered her horse before taking up a position to meditate. She sat cross legged - in what most would call the Lotus position, and lowered her eyelids to half mast. She focused on making her breathing shallow and even. Web knew it was unlikely that she'd gain any more Essence before entering the Underworld, but there was no harm in trying.

Out of the group, she seemed the most comfortable near the shadowland, though part of her still remained aware of the surroundings - most of her enemies would be comfortable here too.

---

Pheonix took up a sentry position where she could keep one eye on the Abyssal in their midst and the other on the shadows. Trusting an Abyssal seemed an odd move for Shaya - especially considering her past encounters with them. Though it was probably a trust born of necessity - and not a true one.

At least it seemed one other in the unit felt the same, the Gunzosha was still maintaining a close watch on Web.

[Wonder if I should do a cut-scene showing what her enemies are up to? The Day Caste should have had time to report and heal from the Essence burns by now.]

Hare, the fast, lithe scout, searched for a place to hide the horses' tack. Even if they were coming back this way, and they might not, that would be weeks from now. The odds of finding the horses again were slim, but at least they'd have their saddles ready if they were so lucky.

Meanwhile, Tinker repacked the saddlebags. It was easy to convert them to shoulderbags, but even then, they had to leave half their contents behind, as humans could not carry the weight horses could. The unit had returned from patrol early so they had rations left, though there were also extra mouths to feed. All in all, Tinker believed he could provide just enough meals for the trip; they would emerge from the Shadowland hungry and couldn't afford any detours, but they should just make it.

((Yes, cut scenes to NPCs would fit a cinematic RP.))

[since its camp/preparation til entering Underworld - Here's the report/aftermath of Web's betrayal..]

The Day Caste bowed low to his liege, keeping his eyes fixed firmly on the ground. He knew what he was about to say wasn't good - and the last bearer of bad news was punished rather badly. His torso still smarted from the Essence Lance attacks, but had mostly healed during his travel back.

"My Lord, I bring news of a traitor. The Moonshadow known as Web of Inevitable Descent has met up with a patrol from Lookshy instead of going to Thorns as you wished." He paused, "Not just any patrol either - this one was led by one of the Solar Exalted - though she hid as a Dragonblood. Two other members of the circle tried to confront the unit but were cut down - Web protecting the units from magic. And not only that my Lord - the Solar was weakened from combat and my arrow should have finished her - yet Web took the blow herself."

"She also gave away my position - and the unit followed her orders. I suspect that the meeting was planned...."

The figure in front of him clenched armored gauntlets into fists, incensed, but managed to avoid striking out at the Day Caste. The Shadow of Cities had already sensed the return of the two Essences and had wondered what had transpired. Now he knew.

"I have a task for you. Find out as much as you can about Web's movements the past few months - where she went, who she met. I want to know everything that she's done." There must be a reason why she turned - after all did I not give her life when others would have taken it? A home when everyone else shunned her?!?

The Day Caste left in haste - relieved that he'd avoided punishment. The Deathlord continued to stare outwards, Oh Web... If you had betrayed me to another Deathlord - such as the Mask - I could not have touched you. I'd be mad, but I could respect that ambitious move. But to betray me to a Solar! That is unforgivable. His mind then turned to intricate ways that Web could be shown the error of her judgement....

The Shadow of Cities finally stirred to glide into the back room - where 5 large intricate, but hideous things were held. Two of them glowed slightly, the other three were completely dark. Sparing no more than a glance to the dark objects, Shadow looked at the lit ones...

"Soon...." He murmured, "Soon you'll be reborn again..."

[Wonder if anyone knows what those things were?]

"Did He speak to you?" she asked, the reverant emphasis she placed on the word making it clear who she meant. "What did He say?"

Hanzo was silent for a while after the Chumyo had asked him that question. Finally he answered: "It was all rather hectic, sir. But I'll do my best to recount my... Exaltation. This all happened while I was working on an Orichalcum Warstrider with my master - deep underground in the caverns of the restricted areas." The memories of the ordeal slowly came back to him. "Suddenly it felt as if sunlight shone on my face. I..." he started hesitantly. "I heard a voice. A warm and powerful voice... of a man. He called me by name and said I was chosen by him - the Unconquered Sun - to be his champion in Creation and beyond. To fight his enemies..." Hanzo's voice trailed off and he stared in the distance of the rolling fields. "Then there was light." He continued in a hoarse whisper. "So much light. Brilliance of a thousand suns... and a... a thundering silence as loud as any sound, splitting the eardrums, and then... pain - as if my head was opened up to be filled with memories. I tried to..." He swallowed, his throat dry as parchment. "I tried to block it out. It was too much. But the memories came anyway... it hurt unlike anything I have felt before. Somewhere between the blinding light, the deafening silence and the splitting headache, I must have lost consciousness. I came to in the epicentre of the crater, surrounded by the remains of the Warstrider. I was lucky the lieutenant found me, or I would have drowned in confusion as the sea had rushed in..."

He looked at Web and turned his attention back to the Chumyo. In a low voice he asked her: "Are all Exaltations marked by atrocities?"

-----------------------------------------

As the unit got busy with making camp and getting ready for the long trip through the Shadow, Hanzo stretched his sore muscles, unaccustomed as he was to horse back riding. As he did so, he noticed a wild bell pepper plant, bearing its hellishly hot fruit. It was the heart and soul of Lookshyan cuisine and it grew in abundance in the region. Without really knowing why, he decided to harvest it. Just in case Nexians didn't know how to prepare proper food.

The Chumyo approached him.

"Just make sure you're done when night comes - I don't want to be caught off guard when the things in there start to awaken" Shaya said as she gestured to the Shadowlands.

Hanzo helped the Chumyo with getting out of the damaged plate, to minimize the risk of further damaging the priceless artifact. He carefully took the White Jade armour from the Chumyo and set it down to finally get a good look at it. What was a Solar doing with White Jade? He had regained enough knowledge to know that Solars wore Orichalcum and that any other material would be impractical to wear. The White Jade was the perfect disguise, he realised that as well. Hidden on the inside of the armour was a small, obol sized Orichalcum disc attached to the White Jade. Hanzo frowned and then recognized it for what it was. Of course! How clever. I wonder who else wears... has worn one of these...

His curiosity satisfied, he set to work on repairing the armour. Cross legged, he set the armour on his lap with the damaged part facing him. Squinting, he studied the damage and decided on the best way to repair it. His fingers worked he metal rings, caressed the White Jade plate. Nigh invisible Essence flowed from his hands and slowly, but inexorably, he mended the armour with nothing but his bare hands. To the unit, it might have looked as if he were a fisherman mending a net with practised ease.

Well before sundown, Hanzo lifted the armour up for a final inspection and nodded, satisfied. He got up from his position and walked over to the Chumyo. With reverence he handed the armour back to the dark haired woman. "Here, sir. Better than new."

------------------------

(("Those things"? I'm guessing they are the traps for the shards, Monstrances of Exalted Portion..?))

Edited by Biologist

[ You'd be right - an Abyssal Monstrance carries an Aura of Fear with it. No mortal can stand the sight of one.... Exalts can with effort/or if bolstered by a Dawn Caste aura. They are nasty things - and rather large too.]

Shaya stared at Hanzi incredulously. She remembered what it was like when she first exalted, and how scared she had been of herself and her new powers, but that was a long time ago and now, looking back, she recognized it for what it was: the greatest gift that had ever been bestowed on her.

"Atrocities? To be chosen by the Sun is a wonderful thing! I would have died, and an entire village with me, if He hadn't stood by my side. He told me to defend Creation and protect those who needed it and then he gave me the strength to do it. Your Exaltation wasn't an atrocity - the Empress committed the atrocity and the Sun gave you the strength to survive it."

Carefully going over the repaired armor and being satisfied with Hanzo's work, she gestured to it.

"You are still who you were before your exaltation, only more."

----------------------------

As Hanzo was plucking the pepper plant, he noticed Tinker looking at him with approval. With a friendly nod, the old man gestured to a plant a little further to Hanzo's left; it was a slender flower with white leaves.

Hanzo was grateful for the words of encouragement from his Chumyo. "Thank you, sir. I must admit, I was rather shocked when I came to my senses. My first thought was that I had destroyed Lookshy with my Exaltation. I felt relieved when the Lieutenant told me it was the Empress." Then he remembered something. "That reminds me, I wanted to share my concerns: the Realm firing their Defence Grid on Lookshy, it seems wrong. The knowledge of what I start to remember, also hint at the impossibility of the Defence Grid destroying Lookshy without proper procedures being followed. At both ends. So either a Sorcerer-Engineer Fang in the Lookshy Manse was not paying attention or... someone betrayed Lookshy and all its people, somenone who must have had knowledge of the defences of Lookshy and enough power to actually operate them." He fell silent for a moment to let the conclusion sink in. "It is just a theory, of course. And my memories are sketchy at best. Yet I cannot shake this feeling of unease... "

---------------------------

Hanzo looked back at Tinker. "I do not seem to recognise this plant. What is it?"

---------------------------

Hanzo looked at Web. He was curious about her. He knew about the different Exalted, but he had never heard of Death Lord Exalted before. From how the unit was treating her, he had guessed that she was taken in protective custody. Not a prisoner, not a guest. A difficult position to be in. Maybe he was allowed to talk to her.

[Just a point Abyssal Exalted were completely unknown til the attack on Thorns - then their existence was made public - so while Hanzo may not know much about them he would have heard of them. Feel free to talk to Web - the rest of the unit would still be watching her however.... and hence anyone she associates with.]

Web maintained her meditative state as well as she could. She could sense the distorted Essence of the shadowland as well has the subtle weaving of Hanzo's Essence while he repaired Shaya's armor.

Though while meditation did make one more open to such things as the flow of Essence - it also enhanced the other normal senses. Web was more aware of the suspicious glances that were thrown her way - the Fire Aspect didn't seem to trust her at all.

Glancing around to see if anyone had overheard Hanzo's last remark, Shaya spoke in a whisper: "How certain are you? Have you told anyone else?"

With their home and families gone, the last thing her unit needed to worry about was a traitor in High Command, which was what Hanzo's theory would imply.

Turning to find Pheonix, she took the Dragon-Blood aside and informed her of Hanzo's theory.

"What do you make of it? I know you were ill, but did you notice anything strange or off during the celebrations? Anyone in a place they shouldn't have been?"

----

Tinker meandered over to Hanzo and gestured to the white flower.

"That is Maiden's Bloom, which makes a delicious tea. Or -" he looked unsure for a moment "it's Widow's Tears, which make a deadly poison. But I'm fairly sure it's Maiden's Bloom. Well, relatively sure, at least. Besides, there are several situations where serving someone delicious tea or a deadly poison would be win-win."

((If Hanzo wants to speak to Web, the Gunnzosha will allow it, but he will remain at a close distance so the conversation would not be private.))

Pheonix was drawn aside by Shaya and informed of Hanzo's theory, and was asked her opinion on the matter as well as if she noticed anything odd.

"As a theory its plausible - if one I don't like." She hated the idea that someone would betray Lookshy in such a manner. "As for anything odd... the city was open during the party, there was a lot of coming and going. The only thing I recall is hauling a couple more drunks than usual into the cooler... as well as a few extra rowdy crowds."

In other words, Pheonix couldn't be sure everyone was where they should be... except for the fact that she shouldn't have been called out to deal with the crowds during her convalescence.

"Though it was a little odd that I was called out to deal with the drunks... there should have been enough active internal patrols to deal with that..."