GavinB

Animal Abuse

is pretty cruel. The animal's suffering yet the guy makes a plug for perhaps one of the worst animal traps ever invented.

"I didn't want to get bitten since the mouse could still move its head around, so I just let it be stuck for awhile and eventually it died on its own..."

How cowardly and disgusting is that? mad.gif

Edited by GavinB

My family used glue traps exactly once, and we don't endorse them at all. We thought "Okay, the mouse gets stuck, the you take it into your backyard or something, put on a glove, pull it off, and let it go." But no. My dad tried to pull the poor thing off only to have it's fur and what looked like skin being pulled off. So we sat it in a private place, gave it a cracker in reach just in case, and let it pass as peacefully as it could. sad.gif Threw the rest of the traps away the next day.

You can use olive oil to rescue the animals from them.

Good to know, but we just use live traps now. (Traps that don't kill the animal, but trap them so you can release them instead). Unfortunately the mouse in my room seems too smart to fall for it, even when there's some nice tempting peanut butter in there. laugh.gif

Good to know, but we just use live traps now. (Traps that don't kill the animal, but trap them so you can release them instead). Unfortunately the mouse in my room seems too smart to fall for it, even when there's some nice tempting peanut butter in there. laugh.gif

PLEASE tell me you let them go away from human habitations? As much as I dislike glue traps, I hate it when people release mice to possibly become someone else' problem just as much.

PLEASE tell me you let them go away from human habitations? As much as I dislike glue traps, I hate it when people release mice to possibly become someone else' problem just as much.

Oh yeah, we have about two miles of woods behind our house. We go deep into it, until we're pretty much lost, release them, and once we know they're long gone, we find the trail back to our house.

I could just see the suffering in the poor thing's eyes. At least a cat would do one bite to the neck and end it quickly rather than prolong the fear. It makes me wonder how these kind of traps are legal, even for what we consider pests. sad.gif

I could just see the suffering in the poor thing's eyes. At least a cat would do one bite to the neck and end it quickly rather than prolong the fear. It makes me wonder how these kind of traps are legal, even for what we consider pests. sad.gif

Uh-huh. Cats are sadistic little censorkip.gif***s.

I'll never forget when my father used glue trap for a mouse. I managed to get poor thing off of it in one piece, but that wasn't worth much since the glue stayed on him and he ended up stuck on the first rock he went by.

Cats aren't too great, nor are they too poor in this sort of situation. It varies. I've had ones who prefer to just slowly kill the mouse via breaking limbs, eating just the tail first, etc., and then I've had others who quickly kill the lil' thing without so much as a squeak.

On the topic of the trap, I have used something like it only it was also a poisoned trap. The rat/mouse would enter the box-shaped trap, the floor would stick it, and the glue had a toxin in it that would poison the rat/mouse. Those I find to be a tad better than just a tape-trap.

While rats/mice can be pests, I don't see why there's such extreme antagonism towards them. I mean, I had issues with them in my old house when I was younger [so many field mice just running in], but I don't hate them. o.o I understand they overpopulate easily and ruin foods, carry diseases, etc, but, arguably, many animals do much the same. It's just mice/rats are more prolific. At the very least, if you're going to kill the thing have it be relatively quick.

That's the same type of trap that my parents use to catch mice in our basement. And while I understand not wanting the mice in the house, we have acres of woodlands we could release them into rather than letting them starve on a sticky glue.

Next time I'm around the house, I was going to try and persuade them to switch to a live, much more humane trap.

Cats aren't too great, nor are they too poor in this sort of situation. It varies. I've had ones who prefer to just slowly kill the mouse via breaking limbs, eating just the tail first, etc., and then I've had others who quickly kill the lil' thing without so much as a squeak.

On the topic of the trap, I have used something like it only it was also a poisoned trap. The rat/mouse would enter the box-shaped trap, the floor would stick it, and the glue had a toxin in it that would poison the rat/mouse. Those I find to be a tad better than just a tape-trap.

While rats/mice can be pests, I don't see why there's such extreme antagonism towards them. I mean, I had issues with them in my old house when I was younger [so many field mice just running in], but I don't hate them. o.o I understand they overpopulate easily and ruin foods, carry diseases, etc, but, arguably, many animals do much the same. It's just mice/rats are more prolific. At the very least, if you're going to kill the thing have it be relatively quick.

Studies have shown that even the presence of a cat can help deter rats and mice(though it isn't foolproof).

As for antagonism, yeah I can understand it. As you said, they carry diseases, ruin food, and in addition can cause house fires by nibbling through wires. The fact that they are so small and can fit through very small openings means that they are the hardest to keep out out of all the pest animals.

That said, I do prefer snap traps and similar to glue traps. I am leery of poison because of the chance of something eating a poisoned rat/mouse. I am ok with live traps ONLY IF YOU RELEASE THEM AWAY FROM HUMAN HABITATION. Too often I hear of people releasing them in their backyard and such, if that mouse doesn't wind up back in your house, it might end up in your neighbor's house.

We once had things like these, and 3 little baby mice ended up getting stuck in one of them. I almost cried sad.gif

Forger a cat, get a fox. Once my house started to kind of get a foxy odor, my little rodent problem evaporated entirely.

But, in all seriousness, I hate glue traps. :/ I used one, once. I felt so awful about the entire thing, it caught a mouse, and then it caught three more as they tried to...eat...the first one. I was using humane traps, but felt like i was fighting a losing battle. Catch three, release at the river, repeat into infinity. I went right back to that humane after the glue incident.

Edited by Draco Knight

Studies have shown that even the presence of a cat can help deter rats and mice(though it isn't foolproof).

We have mice all over the neighborhood where I live due to the reasonably recent destruction of what used to be a textile mill that was left abandoned for years before anything was done about it, but we hardly ever actually see them in the house. I would like to think this is because we have a cat here; we've done nothing else to deter them. I've seen a mouse inside exactly once myself. My cat swatted it a few times (nothing to cause any damage- he wasn't even using his claws) and it after scurried under something we've never seen it again.

If it ever does become an issue I intend to use live traps and take them to the wooded area across the river from the neighborhood to release them. I'm fairly certain they won't easily cross the river to return. wink.gif

Edited by keijaidyyn

Glue traps are horrible; prime Nightmare Fuel and I Must Scream material, if you speak TVTropes-ese. I mean, how horrible must it be to be stuck there for hours or even days, starving to death and unable to free yourself without ripping off parts of your skin? I honestly wish that people, before doing anything to an animal, would imagine it happening to a fellow human being- or even to themselves. I bet they'd be a lot less animal cruelty if people did that, if they really understood what they were putting these animals through, but you do get the odd... psychopath who likes to cause pain and'd probably do it anyway.

(In our house we use humane traps and release them about a mile and a half away from any houses, in a little wood. Oddly enough we have two cats, but the boldest, cheekiest mice in all of the UK. One came out and crawled all over the kitchen worksurface when there were four humans and two cats sitting there, staring at it in disbelief.)

I think it depends on the cat on how long it takes for them to kill anything they catch.

When we lived in a more rural location my cat Casper used to sneak out. He'd catch anything rodenty (mice, squirrels, moles) but he would kill it quite quickly.

Felix liked to catch birds. The little bugger would gnaw their feet off.

I am so glad that glue-traps are illegal here. I hate to see animals suffer - simply because they feel pain just like humans and I can not understand why somebody would buy such a trap. But I have no doubt that there are people out there who are enjoying to see pain and suffering. It is disgusting and to me there is only a thin line between being able to do something cruel just for fun to an animal and beeing able to do the same to a human being. There are other, more human ways to kill (what only humans would call) a pest.

We should not discuss the way a cat is killing a mouse. A cat is killing it because it is its nature and the mouse is its prey animal.

Edited by drabrugon

I moved into an old house with a mouse/rat problem. Also had weasels in the ceiling. No idea what kind ... I never saw them, but apparently they're not too odd in Japan. I found a few old glue traps and threw them out. Missed one that had trapped a rat -- we found it when we re-modeled the shower.

I'd never use one of those on a mouse. I had no issues with using them on cockroaches though. That was common in Japan -- as were cockroaches. I really dislike them and feel that if they invade my home they're asking for trouble.

After I got cats the mice and rats went away. The constant banging of construction probably helped too. Weasels stuck around. Listening to them running around on the area above the ceiling was interesting.

Place I live now is a fairly modern apartment building. No rat troubles.

Supposedly another way to keep animals out of spaces harmlessly is to use old-fashioned moth balls. Our handy man swears by them, and we haven't had any animals underneath the house sense.

I Dont Use Traps That Hurt Or Kill Them.

I Chase It Around Until I Can Grab It And Take It To The SPCA. To Kill Or Hurt An Animal That Has Dont Nothing To Harm A Human Is Wrong. I Would Never Let An Animal Suffer Because It Is Annoying.

I'm fortunate enough to have a fat cat. While he's too fat to catch mice, he does scare them away so we don't have to worry about them.