ThymeSeer

How do you hold your pencil?

I just hold mine like this. Except further in on the tip :3 When I was younger, I used to hold it like that except in between my middle and ring fingers.

I hold my pencil kinda like that. Except I somehow picked up a habit of holding pencils by their ends, so my handwriting comes out horribly faint.

This is how I hold a pencil/pen.

That's how I hold mine! My parents used to get mad at me because it wasn't the 'proper way'. But, I think they finally gave up after they realized that I wouldn't change my grip.

I hold my pencil the normal way, but my fingers are very close to the tip. I've got a crease on my index finger from years of holding it that way.

I use pens mostly, but apparently I hold them in a really weird way...xd.png

I hold it between the (lower part of the) pad of my thumb, and the length of my index finger; and it also rests against my middle finger. I can't draw, so I'm not going to try and draw it. But the tip of the pen points towards me instead of away from me. xd.png

Edited by Thorn

I hold it like most people, but I think I hold my pencil too tight because I have a big callus on my middle finger. >_<"

Me too! Wae u no go away, callous?!

I hold it like this.

Yours is funny! Whatever works for you is fine, I guess. No one never taught me the "right way".

I hold my pencil like this, with my thumb pressing the pencil into the round area between your thumb and index finger. I also have the middle finger callus from gripping too tightly. rolleyes.gif

This reminds me of a time in 1st grade when we were doing some hardcore writing for that age. My callus was bugging me and I was getting really uncomfortable because of it. I wanted to tell my teacher but being horrible with words, what I said came out as: "I don't feel like writing right now." I've never been able to put my thoughts into spoken words very well and it was a mistake, but she took it as laziness and I got yelled at. dry.gif

Edited by HollyTheColliegirl

I hold a pencil with all five of my fingers. Really. The tips of all 5 fingers are used to grip a pencil. I find it weird.

That's how I hold mine! My parents used to get mad at me because it wasn't the 'proper way'. But, I think they finally gave up after they realized that I wouldn't change my grip.

I hold mine like that as well. Only the pencil is placed further up on my ring finger so the top of my middle finger drapes over. Plus I grip it too hard and have a perpetual puffy bump on the ring finger ^^;

Edited by Yamato_K

I grew up learning how to hold chopsticks before learning how to hold a pencil, so I always hold my pencils the same way I hold my chopsticks.

Well... on second thought not everyone holds chopsticks the same way either.

I tend to twist my pencil around in circles any time I lift it from the paper to write. Like, while I'm writing. Anybody else do that?

I hold it like I was taught to hold it otherwise. =p Guuvi's pic, I guess.

I do that to.

I think I hold my pencil/pen the normal way... but then again what is normal? xd.png

I hold my pen using all but my pinky finger, actually holding the pen/pencil between my middle and ring finger and using my index and thumb for support.

The normal way, I suppose? But this is a good question! What exactly is the normal way of holding it? Probably whatever way makes you comfortable. X'D

This this since I don't know how to explain it.

I'm ambidextrous and my holding it in my left hand is the same, just without the third finger around the pencil.

Edited by Dragonhatchling

Like this:

01 02

I was born left handed but was taught to use my right hand, and the relative who taught me to use my right hand jokes with me at times about how I don't hold my pen/pencil correctly. sleep.gif

This this since I don't know how to explain it.

I'm ambidextrous and my holding it in my left hand is the same, just without the third finger around the pencil.

I hold my pencil almost the same way, but the index and middle finger are over the pencil, and I'm only left-handed. When I was younger, I remembered being taught to hold it the way I do, and I thought it was the correct way. But then, later on, for some reason I found out it was the "wrong" way? huh.gif Well, by then I was too accustomed to writing and drawing the way I do it now, so whatever floats yer boat, I guess. xd.png

Edited by Kira-san

I have a hard time holding a pencil right now... My fingers/hand are numb from my surgery still.. Constant tingling/numbing sensations...

In my hand? Unless I drop it on the floor and am too lazy to reach down for it, then I'll pick it up with my toes (if I'm not wearing shoes).

i dont hold it how i was taught

i place the pencil on my ring finger on the distal phalanx and use the tips of my middle and forefingers to support and guide how i write

unfortunately as comfortable as this used to be, i ended up with a jammed thumb on my dominant hand so now its not comfortable anymore due to cartilage damage?

i might end up readjusting how i hold my pencil again since my hand muscles keep cramping up

...any advice on that?

I use all of my fingers bunched up on my right hand :S I feel it holds the pencil more still and gives better quality