ThymeSeer

How do you hold your pencil?

I'm Left-handed, which is uncommon. I hold the tip between my index and middle finger while my thumb holds the middle/end of the pencil to my index finger. It's a very relaxed pose and often results in pretty neat hand-writing when I start writing pretty fast. it ends up looking slanted like this.

Edited by Syiren

I am ambidextrous. I more commonly write with my right, but since my lefthand writing tends to be a bit neater, I've lately taken to writing things that are supposed to be readable by others with my left. I draw using both hands equally depending on which angle I need, and other activities depend. Typing is very left-hand-heavy, fork is normally in the right (and knife goes in the left, whether or not I have a fork ... guess naturally I eat like a lefthand). Mouse is either hand, although most of my independent mice ( not trackpoint or touchpad) are righthanded, which kind of forces me into righthandedness for "standard" mice.

Pen/pencil ... both hands the same way, using thumb, index and middle finger. The middle finger's last phalanx' side is pressed closest to the tip, index finger is pressed along the pencil and the thumb is acting as a lever anchor point by the index finger's second knuckle. Not quite what you'd be taught at school, but fairly close. Not good for writing long texts, but gives excellent accuracy and stability for drawing.

Edited by Shienvien

Depends on the size of the pen/pencil, really. A normal pen or pencil I hold with the standard tripod grip (think that's what it's called), but my thicker pen tablet pen I hold with the quadruped grip.

I apparently don't have a default hold. I sometimes hold it the way I was taught in kindergarten and sometimes in first grade or West coast first grade. They are all variations of holding itbetween your thumb and forfinger and vary on whether the forfinger rests on or under the pencil.

I also write with the penbetween the middle and index/forfinger resting on the thumb. I sometimes find myself moving the pencil around as it doesn't always seem to feel right. I was taught right was several different ways as I attended three different schools in kindergarten through December of third grade. One in Suburban Maryland Public, One in DC parochial and one in California parochial. All three taught different versions of holding your pen and basic printing and writing.

This this since I don't know how to explain it.

I'm ambidextrous and my holding it in my left hand is the same, just without the third finger around the pencil.

That's exactly what I do. I'm right handed, and that way of writing works well for me. It does sometimes give me a sort of "dent" in my ring finger when I write for a while.

I'm curious! Do you hold it how they taught in school? I hold mine in a funky sort of grip that used to get substitute teachers mad at me: see?

Whenever I'm writing or drawing, I usually get funny looks from the people near me.

I went to high school with a guy who held his pencil very similarly. Only difference was he had 2 fingers on top and 2 underneath instead of 3 on top and one underneath.