HeatherMarie

adding a step to the breeding process

We can see the lineage of the dragon we pick to breed. I would prefer to be able to see the lineage of the possible partner, rather than an extra step---

What I would like to see is just one more little step, nothing intrusive or annoying,

Another step before breeding would be hugely annoying. If the lineage is really important, just double check or wait until the page loads. Don't burden everyone else for carelessness or impatience.

We can see the lineage of the dragon we pick to breed. I would prefer to be able to see the lineage of the possible partner, rather than an extra step---

This!

An extra step would be annoying, and seeing the picture, name and code wouldn't help much unless we could also see the lineage (I know SOME of my dragons by heart but not all of them so the name etc. won't help). I also agree that it should be possible to turn it off.

Instead of an extra step in breeding, I'd prefer it if we could see a dragon's lineage directly from the breed page by adding an extra link or even making the image clickable.

Open a tab before breeding with dragcave.net/lineage/n/[dragon name]. The lineage view works with /n/Dragon Name as well. You'll just have to change the name in the url to get the lineage view of the partner if it is named. For unnamed dragons, take the regular lineage/code view.

Open a tab before breeding with dragcave.net/lineage/n/[dragon name]. The lineage view works with /n/Dragon Name as well. You'll just have to change the name in the url to get the lineage view of the partner if it is named. For unnamed dragons, take the regular lineage/code view.

Obviously you can do it this way, but I too would prefer a clickable link to each possible mate's lineage on the breeding page.

For those who have issues with pages loading slowly and the resulting movement of links:

Esc is the shortcut Stop key in most browsers. Use it to prevent that.

More on topic, while I've had the above problem previously I wouldn't really appreciate an extra page load. More pages loaded means more bandwidth used and streamlining tasks is better design than adding a bunch of accident-proof padding. It would just feel clunky, in my opinion.

If anything was to change in breeding I'd really, really like for the table to be made narrower. The breed button can be really far away from the dragon's image/name sometimes and it makes the clicks confusing, especially with no cell borders (and adding cell borders would look hideous so please don't add cell borders) so with my gigantic screen sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm clicking dragon A or dragon B below or dragon C above, especially with a long scroll. Of course I guess I could rename Glub and the Condesce, but really, making the table narrower would make the text wrap kick in and name length shouldn't be a problem unless it has no spaces in it. Most dragon images aren't much smaller than 2 lines of text vertically anyway.

I'm not fully for or against this...I can see how it can be useful and I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented as long as it could be turned off. I've bred a few dragons to the wrong mate before and it would be nice to have an extra precaution when dealing with carefully planned lineages but it shouldn't be forced on everyone, especially since people with slow internet connections often want to avoid having to load even more pages.

Out of all the possible versions of this suggestion I like this the best:

Before I got a better computer, I had a LOT of misbreeds due to image loading failures. So I can totally understand and agree with this suggestion.

But I'd like something a little different. Instead of a confirmation page or popup, I'd like the dragon images on the breed page to be clickable, linked to the dragons lineage page and opening in a new tab/window, so I could check the lineage before clicking 'breed'.

It's basically the same suggestion, just a different method of doing the same thing.

After all the image of a dragon is clickable pretty much everywhere, even after you abandon an egg or hatchling, except from the images of possible mates in the breeding page.

Edited for lame grammar.

Edited by MissK.

I really like the idea of the failsafe page having the potential lineage of the egg-to-be on it. I'm coming up on the 700 dragon point and it is really REALLY really annoying to hand-check potential mates for their lineages when I'm trying to create eggs with a minimum of gross clutter.

I like this idea. It would be very useful for people with hundreds of dragons if there was an extra, "The offspring of these dragons would have this lineage. Are you sure you wish to proceed?" page.

Though, on the flip side, I can see this taking away from the point of the site: collecting and raising cute sprites. Pretty lineages was never the goal of the site, it's something extra the users added.

Still, point or no point, I like the "potential lineage" idea.

Before I got a better computer, I had a LOT of misbreeds due to image loading failures. So I can totally understand and agree with this suggestion.

But I'd like something a little different. Instead of a confirmation page or popup, I'd like the dragon images on the breed page to be clickable, linked to the dragons lineage page and opening in a new tab/window, so I could check the lineage before clicking 'breed'.

It's basically the same suggestion, just a different method of doing the same thing.

YES, PLEASE!

We've been begging for this for years, and I believe that the breeding page is the only one not linked to the lineage page, so if it's not something terribly complex to do, this would make a lot of people very happy, and save a lot of people from having to have extra pages up so as to do scroll searches to see if they have the right new mate or not.

YES, PLEASE!

We've been begging for this for years, and I believe that the breeding page is the only one not linked to the lineage page, so if it's not something terribly complex to do, this would make a lot of people very happy, and save a lot of people from having to have extra pages up so as to do scroll searches to see if they have the right new mate or not.

While I definitely agree with the suggestion to make breed-action dragons lineage-clickable, that would do nothing for the whole reason I made this suggestion.

At the core, I didn't make this suggestion because of user-errors, not remembering lineages, etc. I made this suggestion because of *loading* errors, which a clickable-dragon would not help with.

I'm still in favor of an "are you sure" page, with the dragon images *and* code/names, so that people know exactly which dragons are being bred. (And of course it will be able to be disabled)

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are many times when the cave lags and *does not show* a dragon/breed-link, or loads it randomly loooong after the page has supposedly loaded all the way, which makes users mis-click and therefore mis-breed. THAT is what this suggestion is for.

Edited by Marie19R

While I definitely agree with the suggestion to make breed-action dragons lineage-clickable, that would do nothing for the whole reason I made this suggestion.

At the core, I didn't make this suggestion because of user-errors, not remembering lineages, etc. I made this suggestion because of *loading* errors, which a clickable-dragon would not help with.

I'm still in favor of an "are you sure" page, with the dragon images *and* code/names, so that people know exactly which dragons are being bred. (And of course it will be able to be disabled)

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are many times when the cave lags and *does not show* a dragon/breed-link, or loads it randomly loooong after the page has supposedly loaded all the way, which makes users mis-click and therefore mis-breed. THAT is what this suggestion is for.

If there is a link added to the dragon image, then even if the image does not load, the link will. This will allow you to click said link and ensure that the missing image belongs to that dragon. have you ever had a scroll load slowly? Normally all links load before images so i would imagine that if your page loads slowly, links will still be accessible.

If the problem is that bad where loading speed is a problem, you might want to look in to using different browsers, cleaning out your browser history, checking to make sure other devices aren't hogging up your bandwith, and if all else fails, figuring out what speed internet you have.

I dislike the idea of a new page. It will be intrusive, and it will be annoying. Having lineages linked to the possible mates of the dragons sounds like a far better idea.

Edited by AnanoKimi

If there is a link added to the dragon image, then even if the image does not load, the link will. This will allow you to click said link and ensure that the missing image belongs to that dragon. have you ever had a scroll load slowly? Normally all links load before images so i would imagine that if your page loads slowly, links will still be accessible.

If the problem is that bad where loading speed is a problem, you might want to look in to using different browsers, cleaning out your browser history, checking to make sure other devices aren't hogging up your bandwith, and if all else fails, figuring out what speed internet you have.

I dislike the idea of a new page. It will be intrusive, and it will be annoying. Having lineages linked to the possible mates of the dragons sounds like a far better idea.

It's explicitly suggested as an optional feature. You could always just turn it off or leave it off if it's off by default.

It's also not mutually exclusive to having the pictures clickable on the current breeding page.

I had no idea some were having that kind of internet problem with the breed button slipping around. I haven't had this problem yet, but I'm all for this being implemented to help out those who do have it happen to them. I wouldn't mind the extra step at all.

I see that. Doesn't change the fact that it would still be a bit annoying. Turning it on or off would help, though I would still like to see the clickable lineages for the possibly mates that the dragon you picked can mate with. Even if we do not have that extra step, it saves users like my self having to open other tabs and go back and forth between "Is this the dragon? lets see... code this and this, yep that's it ok." And for those with many dragons to sift through I'm sure it would be a heaven sent.

Lol, yes, sorry, I've had that happen many times in lag - page jumps and action landing on the wrong dragon leaping into place - and wasn't saying anything against the 'are you sure' option, which I do support, just got triggered by the lineage link suggestion.

I hate breeding to new mates, lol, all the hassle and scroll searching to find a suitable one on a different page, every freaking time, when one click on the breeding page could do it...

I see that. Doesn't change the fact that it would still be a bit annoying. Turning it on or off would help, though I would still like to see the clickable lineages for the possibly mates that the dragon you picked can mate with. Even if we do not have that extra step, it saves users like my self having to open other tabs and go back and forth between "Is this the dragon? lets see... code this and this, yep that's it ok." And for those with many dragons to sift through I'm sure it would be a heaven sent.

How would it be annoying if you turn it off (or just don't enable it, depending)? It can't be annoying if it's not there.

Clickable lineages is an awesome idea and I support it, but it's *not* either-or. Clickable lineages really belong in their own thread, as they don't really help with the reason for this suggestion.

If 'off' is the default for the extra step, I don't see how anyone could object to it; it'd just be an option for a safeguard in lag times.

If 'off' is the default for the extra step, I don't see how anyone could object to it; it'd just be an option for a safeguard in lag times.

This. It would be nice if it was off by default and had to be turned on for those who need it. I would still suggest checking your computer to see why images don't load correctly. is it something that happens often? Anyways, for those who need it and it helps, then it would be nice to add something to help everyone out.

As long as it can be disabled, I'd be okay with this. I'm definitely in the "having to reconfirm would be annoying" camp; I get annoyed at having to confirm Abandons, and I do that a lot less often than I breed!

If I misbreed a pair, all I have to do is wait a week, so it's not like clicking the wrong dragon is some kind of irreversible disaster! So I don't want my every action being scrutinised and second-guessed with continual "are you sure?" nonsense that just gets in the way of what I'm trying to do. If other people do want that, fine; just make sure that I can opt out.

Opt-in seems to be the best for a lot of optional features, and I think it would work just fine here. People who've had the problem of mis-clicking or breed-loading before can turn it on, and the rest don't have to worry about it.

AnanoKimi, I'm the first to admit that my computer and internet connection sucks, but since other people have the same type of breeding-loading problem I don't think it's on my end this time.

Opt-in seems to be the best for a lot of optional features, and I think it would work just fine here. People who've had the problem of mis-clicking or breed-loading before can turn it on, and the rest don't have to worry about it.

AnanoKimi, I'm the first to admit that my computer and internet connection sucks, but since other people have the same type of breeding-loading problem I don't think it's on my end this time.

Yeah. I know I've had loading problems before, that's why I've mentioned it. I can usually just be browser issues. Still on board for this idea though. Heck, I'm all for making something helpful so long as it doesn't inconvenience others. You're idea sounds fine, and many have mentioned something like this would be nice in other places so I hope TJ approves of this.