HeatherMarie

adding a step to the breeding process

This idea came in response to the suggestion that the "meh" page return to cancel holiday-refusals when people accidentally breed them out of season.

Instead of having a "meh" page to erase accidental breedings of holidays, I would much rather prefer something that would help *everyone* breed more efficiently. After you breed, it shows the two dragons that have been bred. I would like it if there would be a page *before* you breed, that would show the two dragons... Maybe I should make a suggestion for that.

Breed actions: You click "Breed" on a dragon's Actions page. It gives you a list of dragons available to breed, along with the "breed" link across from each dragon. If you mis-click, OR if your computer lags and doesn't load a dragon image correctly, you can very easily click the wrong "breed" link. And then the dragons are bred and too bad.

What I would like to see is just one more little step, nothing intrusive or annoying, just a page that shows the images of each dragon and says something like "These dragons are about to breed" and then you have to click "breed" again or something.

There wouldn't be any pop-ups or having to put in passwords or anything like that, just an extra page that actually *shows* which dragons are about to be mated.

You mean like similar to abandoning and freezing, when the confirmation notice asks "Are you SURE you want to breed these two dragons together? YES or NO." ?

Sounds good to me - as long as it shows their NAMES if they have them, and not just codes wink.gif

I don't think this is all that necessary, to be honest. I wouldn't mind it being there if I could turn it off, but I don't think I've ever accidentally clicked the wrong dragon. I just wait until the page loads and I'm careful.

I'd only be ok with this if the extra page could be disabled. I prefer extra speed over extra security.

Also, aren't you big on people taking responsibility for their actions? It isn't that hard to avoid misbreeding... Users should take some responsibility for their actions. wink.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I'd say the other suggestion right now makes more sense because of the fact that right now refusals made before the holidays aren't being ignored. This to me would be more annoying and a hassle :/

I'd only be ok with this if the extra page could be disabled. I prefer extra speed over extra security.

Also, aren't you big on people taking responsibility for their actions? It isn't that hard to avoid misbreeding... Users should take some responsibility for their actions. wink.gif

I'd definitely prefer that it be able to be disabled.

And yes, I usually take the "users need to be responsible for it" side. However, this isn't *just* about that. I can't count the number of times where my *censored* internet has failed to load dragon images, even after I wait forever for the page to "finish" loading. A failed image-load can make the Breed buttons off-kilter, make it look like you are pushing breed on a certain dragon when it's really for a different one. And then I've had at *least* two instances that I can remember where I let the page load fully (or so it said) and clicked "breed", but at the exact same time I clicked "breed" it loaded another breed button and made me end up clicking that button instead. I couldn't have predicted that or done anything to prevent it.

I do believe that *many* "accidental breedings" are the user's fault for going too fast and not taking the time to look closely at what they are clicking. But for other times, where it's really not the user's fault, a simple, opt-in additional step would be wonderful.

I'd definitely prefer that it be able to be disabled.

And yes, I usually take the "users need to be responsible for it" side. However, this isn't *just* about that. I can't count the number of times where my *censored* internet has failed to load dragon images, even after I wait forever for the page to "finish" loading. A failed image-load can make the Breed buttons off-kilter, make it look like you are pushing breed on a certain dragon when it's really for a different one. And then I've had at *least* two instances that I can remember where I let the page load fully (or so it said) and clicked "breed", but at the exact same time I clicked "breed" it loaded another breed button and made me end up clicking that button instead. I couldn't have predicted that or done anything to prevent it.

I do believe that *many* "accidental breedings" are the user's fault for going too fast and not taking the time to look closely at what they are clicking. But for other times, where it's really not the user's fault, a simple, opt-in additional step would be wonderful.

This is why I'd like it.

I have twice bred the wrong dragon because the links slipped while the page was loading. (the same sometimes happens when catching - that CAN be even more annoying !)

There's one flaw in the personal responsibility argument...

Someone else will have to pick their mistake up off the AP.

^^ This!

If I can turn it off, I'm supportive.

There's one flaw in the personal responsibility argument...

Someone else will have to pick their mistake up off the AP.

It may not be a BAD mistake/horrible egg; I have quite often hit the wrong red, for instance, and got a perfectly nice even 3rd gen - accidentally related to the one it was going to be part of a lineage with. The new egg my be lovely - just - wrong for what I intended. Someone else may be thrilled with it !

If someone sorts by breed or at least groups similar dragons together, then this action wouldn't help. Each dragon breed sprite looks exactly like the next, so mistakes can still happen when a page doesn't load properly.

Some people had suggested a similar page or at least linking the lineage of each dragon. I think the next breeding step page would be great if there's a "possible lineage" similar to what Allure has. That way you can easily see if you've made a mistake or not.

If someone sorts by breed or at least groups similar dragons together, then this action wouldn't help. Each dragon breed sprite looks exactly like the next, so mistakes can still happen when a page doesn't load properly.

Some people had suggested a similar page or at least linking the lineage of each dragon. I think the next breeding step page would be great if there's a "possible lineage" similar to what Allure has. That way you can easily see if you've made a mistake or not.

yesplz

But what if you are one of those people who gets confused by lineages, especially if they are long? *raises hand* A "possible lineage" thing would do nothing for me, and because I don't know the lineage of most of my dragons, it would still be confusing to work out exactly which dragons I'm breeding with. I wouldn't mind a possible lineage thing, but it wouldn't help me.

How about showing the dragon's sprite *and* code/name on the additional page?

But what if you are one of those people who gets confused by lineages, especially if they are long? *raises hand* A "possible lineage" thing would do nothing for me, and because I don't know the lineage of most of my dragons, it would still be confusing to work out exactly which dragons I'm breeding with. I wouldn't mind a possible lineage thing, but it wouldn't help me.

How about showing the dragon's sprite *and* code/name on the additional page?

you'd only need to look at the two dragons furthest to the left.

Actually, I think a page with lineages may raise awareness of them more, and cut down on the number of ugly lineages dumped to the AP.

Actually, I think a page with lineages may raise awareness of them more, and cut down on the number of ugly lineages dumped to the AP.

I agree one hundred percent.

I also very rarely accidentally click the wrong dragon when I'm breeding. It happens, and having a failsafe there where I could see that the mistake happened would be terrific.

I agree one hundred percent. 

I also very rarely accidentally click the wrong dragon when I'm breeding.  It happens, and having a failsafe there where I could see that the mistake happened would be terrific.

this also. I found out the other day that I'd been misbreedng a dragon pair for several weeks, because I'd typoed the generation in one of their names.

Edited by dracocharky

Before I got a better computer, I had a LOT of misbreeds due to image loading failures. So I can totally understand and agree with this suggestion.

But I'd like something a little different. Instead of a confirmation page or popup, I'd like the dragon images on the breed page to be clickable, linked to the dragons lineage page and opening in a new tab/window, so I could check the lineage before clicking 'breed'.

It's basically the same suggestion, just a different method of doing the same thing.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

But I'd like something a little different. Instead of a confirmation page or popup, I'd like the dragon images on the breed page to be clickable, linked to the dragons lineage page and opening in a new tab/window, so I could check the lineage before clicking 'breed'.

I've always liked this idea. Right now, the dragon you select to pick out a mate has a clickable link - it should be that way for their possible mates as well.

If it can be disabled then I would be cool with it, otherwise no. I have only misbreed once and its not that big of a deal, you just have to wait a week before correctly breeding.

No from me. I do, however, think it would make sense (if possible) for the browser to display the page as Dragon Cave - Actions - Breeding - Name/Code rather than Dragon Cave - Actions as it is now.

Please, could we add the resulting lineage to the breed confirmation page? I just bred a total disaster by accident.

I don't see any reason -- people should pay attention when they're locked, why is breeding any different?

I don't see any reason -- people should pay attention when they're locked, why is breeding any different?

It's not a matter of being locked, it is a matter of being sure you pick the right mate at the right moment.