alicephantomile

Childhood Pastimes

I didn't have many interesting toys nor any friends around, when I was younger, but I lived (and still do) in a huge forest. So I explored the forest, built crappy treehouses, played with my dogs and had huge fights with my older brother. Sometimes I went exploring with him instead.

In winter, sledded down the little slope in my yard, built snow houses. I remember my brother ''locked'' me into one. Had snowfights. Very rarely, went skiing.

There used to be huge puddles of melted snow in the field, so I went to play there. Came back very, very muddy. xd.png Oh a lot of fun was had.

Oh, and I ate dog kibble. It didn't taste of anything. No wonder dogs won't eat it.

I was mostly into artsy things like drawing and playing music.

I also read a lot and played (my friend's) video games on GBA and N64.

Ahh, those were the days... :3

Back when we had time to do fun things.

I loved to draw and doodled on anything I could get my hands on (still do).

I also played with toy eggs and rocks, they were like baby dolls to me. I named them, roll played with them, tucked them in at night, and even pretended to teach them. I also had an imaginary friend who was my assistant teacher and eventually turned into my sister when I was in elementary school.

I liked to play outside as well. I didn't spend a lot of time climbing trees, but I rode my bike and scooter a lot. And there was this one spot, the median in the middle of the parking lot where I would go to play various games or just sit and enjoy nature.

I didn't play house but I had one very good friend that I used to play a lot of roll play games with. One was cat and owner, where I was usually the cat. We also played princess and once, got married to invisible princes. And store too. I had a plastic shopping cart and we pretended to buy my toys and stuffed animals. I a box of fake money that we used for playing store, which usually ended up all over the room whenever we played with it. Doctor/veterinarian was another favorite. My friend even had bottles of water for medicine. I played "queens' castle" with a friend in preschool, with a plastic castle and plastic characters, and we put long hair and a dress on the king and made him a girl. LOL.

Let's see...

Drawing. Drawing drawing drawing. I did so constantly, though to be very honest, I always had serious hangups about it when I was growing up which (again, to be honest) still come back to haunt me now and again even as I am thirty-seven, so while I enjoyed it, at times it was also something I utterly loathed even while I still drew.

On the other hand, reading didn't have those issues. I liked fiction, fantasy and sci-fi, but...my favorite things were the dictionary, encyclopedia, Discover magazines before they started to suck, and other reference books.

Most of the time my family didn't have a TV, so it was only when I was a little older that I started watching Saturday morning cartoons and such, but I liked The Real Ghostbusters and Transformers.

Playing pretend and dressing up in costumes was always really fun. I never played house, I played monsters in dungeons out to eat the knights in shining armor : )

Also had many Legos, Bristle Blocks, and some Lincoln Logs. I could spend hours at a time playing with Playmobiles or Legos when I was little.

Although I'm technically still a kid, when I was younger my life revolved around books, pets, Pokemon, and Greek mythology. And Powerpuff Girls. xd.png

Although it wasn't really a hobby, I took everything literally when I was younger. It led to some pretty interesting situations. My idea of a monster truck was a vampire with wheels. |D

When I was younger I daydreamed a lot. (I still do xd.png) I read books to the point where the teachers were trying to get me to stop reading and they started taking my books (novels) away when I was reading in class (though that was middle school so it wasn't too long ago....actually I got yelled at today xd.png)

My favorite toys were my video games, I lived in the happy little world of RPGs like Final fantasy 8, Kingdom hearts, Threads of Fate (and there was pokemon....so much pokemon....I've been playing pokemon before I could read o_o) Though it kind of put the bar a little high in who I might like (Why does Squall Leonhart have to look so cool? xd.png)

I was very unpopular a child, and up till about a year ago when I changed schools. Though, as a kid I had my best friend and I dragged him around telling him about my crazy daydreams, thats all we did during every recess, talk (...okay I talked xd.png)

I always have been (and perhaps always will be) a dreamer.

I think I was pretty lucky to get parents with such awesome personalities (from an unbiased perspective they're interesting to say the least) though we aren't without our troubles I know I could be worse off.

Edited by Dragon393

When I was a kid I didn't really have any friends, so I spent all of my time reading, day dreaming and playing video games.

I still do rolleyes.gif

marbles were always fun and iam not even that old

Honestly, I had never been all that big on playing outside as a kid. I spent most of my time playing with my horse/Pokemon action figures. tongue.gif

Or, when I reached about 1st grade or so, playing my Nintendo 64 or my favorite PC games: Heroes of Might and Magic. wink.gif

That and LEGOs.

I remember Legos...but mostly I remember how much they hurt when you step on them.

I played with cars, ninja turtles (has a large toy that got chewed up by the dogs), drawing, and trolls. The trolls were kinda creepy back then. I also went outside a lot, where one of my least favorite pastimes, getting attacked by roosters, would happen.

lol I realize it's been a while since anybody's commented on this but I thought I'd bring it back from the brink of death.

I've started back in study again and I'm doing a web Interactive formative and I've decided to base it around the idea of simpler times and nostalgia - and then I remembered this forum thread! Apparently I was thinking ahead, ahahahaha.

It's actually been a huge help so far. I have so much to put in my assessment and it's all thanks to you guys. Again, I know that wasn't my intention in the first place but you guys have helped a lot. Otherwise I'd be stuck drawing a blank trying to think up things on my own. And I've only got a week to produce a finished product >.<

My childhood was pretty rad but I now know that there are things other kids did that I didn't necessarily do - although I think we're all pretty much in agreement on the whole, imagination, bit. Whether we were playing house or Power Rangers, we all had imaginary games at some point xd.png

I'm a country girl, so yeah, my childhood was kind of like one of the picturesque ones you read in books or see in the movies: climbing trees, running around barefoot, picking wild black/raspberries, catching fireflies, getting sunburned, picking wildflowers, bike rides, etc.

I remember playing pretend too. My grandpa made me a wooden kiddie-size kitchen set and table, so my sister and I spent a lot of time playing with that. When we got older, it was stuff from books and movies (Harry Potter, Pokemon, etc) and toy animals in the sandbox. Oh, yeah, and the dollhouse.

We didn't get a computer till I was 6 (well, not counting the old Commodore computer), and I remember my sister and I were only limited to half an hour per day. We only had like 10 TV channels until I was in middle school and we got Dish. It's crazy thinking back to those days. xd.png

I was born in Monterrey Mexico, though I am an American because both my parents are Americans. As for childhood pastimes, I would hang out with my 2 best friends at the time and we would play with legos, play N64, and go outside and dig a whole in my front yard while chatting away haha. I spent a lot of the time playing soccer with other friends, typically playing it on the street. (In Mexico that is quite normal, there is like an unspoken rule that when cars see kids playing soccer they are suppose to wait until the kids finish that kick and move to the side before passing and they don't really mind) Every once in a while some one wouldn't slow down and that usually resulted in an angry person with a broken windshield. I remember making trips to my grandfathers once a year who lives out in the country here in the US. So there I spent time hanging out with my cousins, climbing trees, riding four wheelers, playing hide and seek in the huge back yard and all of that fun stuff. Good days those were biggrin.gif I didn't have a normal childhood because I was an American born in Mexico, and I did a lot of traveling and spent much time in hotels and new places. We didn't have a lot of money to live on, and sometimes we really struggled. Still, it was a great and wonderful childhood that I would never trade.

Edited by TimotheusTJB

Lego! biggrin.gif

Oh, wait/ Does it count as a 'childhood pastime' if it's something I still do? (At almost 48...)

I remember Legos...but mostly I remember how much they hurt when you step on them.

This, so this. My room was usually a disaster area when I was little, and Legos were everywhere. Stepping on them was often what prompted me to tidy up. That and upside-down plastic Tupperware lids. Man did those hurt to step on.

I used to make maps! I'd draw some sort of fantasy world based on the backyard and my brother and I went on epic adventures.

It usually involved a lot of running around outside and there was the rock pile out in the field out back of us that had a ton of cool little fossil shells in it. (that involved hitting rocks together, very safe)

I did have a NES and a Super NES but my parents limited the time on it so I got in a lot of outside time too.

I used to organize the wooden blocks. I would get very frustrated when people actually wanted to play with them.

Lego! biggrin.gif

Oh, wait/ Does it count as a 'childhood pastime' if it's something I still do? (At almost 48...)

It's eternal awesome.

And when the weather was too bad to be outside I was drawing. So what do little girls draw? Dinosaurs, of course! Gosh, I knew all the names and stuff. And I played with cars and with MY Little Ponies. And I read a lot Fantasy and Fairy Tales. And of course there was Lego! I had an awful lot of it inherited from my big brother. And I still got more from aunts and uncles. I stiff refuse to give my Lego away (as my parents told me) although I don't play with it anymore.

Played dollhouse and dressup. I miss those days.

I went through a phase of loving Scoobie strings. It was really popular when I was in primary school and everyone used to braid them.

I was also (and still am) crazy about making lists. From the age of 6 onwards, I made to-do lists of everything I had to do on that day, goals I needed to accomplish by the end of the year etc. -____- Probably was a little bit too neurotic for a seven years old.

Reading for the greater part of it. (Fantasy-Fiction for the win.)

Some video games came afterward.

Being an only child, I usually liked being by myself (still do, actually).

I guess I'm still a child but...

I like to talk to inanimate objects (I have no friends...)

Also with the 1 or 2 friends I do have I have tons of 1 sided conversations

I just looooove my life....

Edited by wonton55912

Outside. Running around through the forest and streams, swimming, climbing trees, catching insects, crayfish, leeches... awesome time.

I learned at a young age that growing up sucks. Most kids (so I hear) don't believe that and want to grow up anyways.

I didn't.

I never started wanting relationships beyond 'friend'. I never stopped collecting plushies. I still love my toys. My playmates have grown up (I was really sad when my step-sister started to obsess over boys and looks), so I've moved on to video games, art, and other child-like pass times. I like to live by the saying "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is not."

As a kid I loved to explore the forest near my home, play with toys with my brother (We separated 'territories' and had our own little kingdoms), et cetera. I couldn't do that anymore to the extent I once could. Nowadays, I have trouble role-playing in front of people, except in video games.