alicephantomile

Childhood Pastimes

So I'm working on a piece of... well, I don't like calling my stuff 'art' but I don't think there's anything else I can really call it.

Anyway - it revolves mostly around things that myself and others enjoyed as a kid, and how disenchanted we've become as we move further away from childhood. I like to think I'm still largely just a big kid inside, especially since I've had a critter of my own (I can get things for her to play with that I'm much too big for and watch on as her eyes light up, albeit a tad envious - like a kiddy tent in the shape of a giant mushroom *jealous*) - but sometimes, you'll hear people say something like 'I wish I was 12 again, things were so much more awesome then'.

Me, I liked climbing trees. Riding bikes. The year I got a pair of rollerblades for christmas was amazing. I loved pokemon. And running. Man, I ran like the wind.

I had plenty of friends. One neighbourhood I lived in, there was a whole bunch of kids living down my street. It was awesome.

And then there's the less awesome things I remember. Like not having a dad. My bike getting stolen. We moved around a lot, too.

I dunno - I have mostly fond memories of being a kid. And when I think to the problems I end up with at times as an adult, my problems as a kid in comparison seem so... small. But while being a kid was fun, being an adult can be fun sometimes, too. Sure, bills suck. Having to refrain from jumping in puddles sucks too. But there are certain things only adults should be doing, and I think I can speak for pretty much all of us when I say hellz yeah, they're fantastic.

Getting off-topic though, this thread was meant to be research - what'd you like doing as a kid? Did you have favourite toys? Or were you all about the imagination? Were you forever stuck in a book, a dreamy kid, or were you more interested in boys/girls and being grown-up? I'm genuinely curious, now ^__^

Hmmm... nostalgia time!

My favorite toys were Lego's, any kind of horse or pony toy, and Tamagotchi's. When I was a little older and got my first Gameboy (does anyone remember the orginal Gameboy? Or the Gameboy Pocket? Yeeaah... old school! Haha!) and I played Pokemon (of course) and mostly puzzle games (Tetris, Snood, things like that).

I was obsessed with Agatha Christie when I was a kid. My step-mom's grandfather (my step-grandfather?) had TONS of her books, and he would bring me five or six every week. I also read a lot of fantasy, and as I got older I get into science fiction. These are my two favorite genres these days.

I spent most of my time by myself, usually the only time I spent with other kids was at school or at family events with my cousins.

I also went through a phase where I watched nothing but Anime. No Spongebob, no Nickelodeon shows. I watched Sailor Moon (my favorite... still, don't judge me!) Dragon Ball Z, Outlaw Star, Coybow Bee-bop, and Gundam Wing (I had a HUGE crush on Duo Maxwell... so dreamy, haha).

(P.S. I still jump in puddles! I'm 22, so I buy all my clothes & I don't care if they get dirty :3)

Edited by rainbowsmile

Aww, man - tamagotchis!! I had like three of those (not all at the same time, I was good at losing them) I also had one of the pikachu pet things and a garurumon pet thing that I was quite fond of (no idea where he ended up, though). I wanted a gameboy so bad but I didn't get enough pocket money to save up for that and the games I wanted >.< Now I steal my boyfriend's one and play his games. Except I can't touch his blue cartridge. He's quite proud of the fact that he completed his pokedex. And I made up for lost time by getting a DSi and I think I'm up to 3 pokemon games I bought for myself? But we have 6 gen IV/V games between the two of us. Muaha.

And also, mad respect for Sailor Moon. I haven't watched it since I was a kid but, I'd never even dream of dissing anyone who's still a fan blink.gif DBZ was badass. I can recall a day spent with my best friend trying to figure out how to do a kamehameha wave. Heck yeah. Man, anime is so much more awesome than the weirdly drawn excuse for cartoons they have on these days. xd.png

And you know, I'd totally like to jump in puddles - but I abhor doing laundry, so if I can skip washing more clothes than necessary, I'd rather do that instead.

I suppose technically I'm still a kid, or at least not an adult, but here's what I liked when I was little.

I always been video-game crazy. Especially for Spyro-related video games. I still like most of the games I've been playing then now, like all the classic Spyro's and the first three Crash Bandicoots. I still like the classic video games like what I mentioned above, and Nintendo 64/Gamecube/Gameboy/Playstation, old games like Lemmings and the first 5 Petz games, and later, Xbox original games, and I still love them now. But now I'm also into 360 and DS and whatnot too. And I suppose I'll love all the originals forever, because even my dad still likes them. xd.png

I also used to like My little Pony toys...I was obsessed. I've grown out of that now. But I still have them in my closet. Along with every other early childhood toy I ever owned... xd.png

When I was in third grade, there was a foresty patch of place in the playground. Me and the other classmates would pretend we were Indians and do things like stack sticks around trees to make teepees, arrange small rocks in circles for campfires, and pull up larger rocks or logs to make seats around the campfire. There was an old thing that looked like a dried-up streambed and near it was some wild garlic, and we took the garlic and replanted it in a little garden area. And there was a fence near that place and sometimes there would be horses on the other side.

And the imagination of a young child is both odd and amazing. When I was little, I would go outside, eat the petals off clovers, and pretend I was a deer. xd.png

Littlest Pet Shop...you have to admit, the toys are cute, but I don't play with them anymore.

Legos, I loved. I loved them so much. It was so much fun to build stuff with them, although I kept on losing all the pieces, I pulled the hands out of the characters, and my skeleton is missing its arms.

Reading, I've never grown out of that. I'll read nearly anything. And I did read nearly anything. xd.png

And also. I LOVED water. SlipnSlide, the ocean, a lake, the sprinkler, or basically any situation where I could get wet. I swear I was a fish. xd.png I still like water, just not as much as I did before.

My favorite playground toy-whatever-you-call-it was the merry-go-round. xd.png

As for your question, I was a bit of a mix of all three. My imagination was wild when I was very young, I loved reading and writing, but I also loved real, solid toys. I never was very active, though, except for the swimming. I was faster than water than I was on land. I liked to run sometimes, but I would get too easily tired and I was just plain slow. And playground games like four-square only interested me for a few minutes.

Littlest Pet Shop! I forgot about those, I remember I had the two ponies that had the magnets in their mouths so that the kissed each other. So cute! I remember them before they got the giant heads. What is with the giant heads? They did they same thing to the new My Little Pony. They're still super cute, though...

@alicephantomile-

I used to get made fun of in school all the time because I always wanted to be Sailor Moon when all the other kids were playing Power Rangers... & I, too, attemped the kamehameha! Haha.

lol, my first LPS was a pirate parrot that had a palm tree to sit on. :'D My first and only full set was the Tail-Waggin' Fitness Center. I also got some assorted Christmas pets, like this penguin and a St. Bernard. I have a LOT of toys.

And to tell the truth, if my mom got me any more LPS animals or a building set, I would be happy...

xd.png

I was always a Lego block kid. I liked putting stuff together, sorting them all by color, building sets and playing out elaborate stories with them. I had a big back yard to run around in, so I spent a lot of time out there pretending to be all kinds of things and having adventures. I was also a pretty bookish kid - I read my first chapter book with no pictures when I was in first grade. I was also a pretty artistic sort. I'd sit in my room listening to music and coloring with colored pencils for hours.

lolol, littlest pet shop. That went all weird after they brought in the giant heads. I bought a little pack thing about a year ago now, though. It was a little sheep. And it was cute. And I'm quite good at impulse-buying oddities haha.

Lego wasn't really my thing. My brother loved them though. And trains, he had a thing about trains. Now he's in his late teens and only comes out of his room to eat or use the bathroom. Ah, puberty, you awkward creature, you.

Spyro was awesome. And Crash. And did anyone apart from me ever play a game called Klonoa: Door To Phantomile? It's actually where I got the second half of my username haha. But srsly though, I like games that have a story and you follow it and cool stuff happens. And if they have a cartoony way about them, that scores them more points in my book biggrin.gif

Reading I did like, and I enjoyed the magical worlds books showed me. When you've got nothing else better to do, all you need is a book and a half-decent imagination. Nowadays though, there's facebook for that.

I didn't and still don't like water sad.gif I mean, I'll happily go swimming at the pools and I enjoy swimming at the beach, but if the water even looks deep I won't go near it. Partially because I'm far from a strong swimmer, and partially because the ocean creeps me out. With its tides and whatnot. *shudders*

I didn't have fun, really. Reading a book without being hit or having it torn out of my hands and then being hit was the highlight of my day.

Let's see... drawing? I was a Sailor Moon fan(still am) and I created my own sailor scouts. This is when I started drawing comics and,

I also played Sailor Moon with my friends! fun times. The boys were the villains, lolol.

Other things I enjoyed was going to my grandma in summer vacation. I LOVED climbing the hills, picking flowers, playing with my cousin, playing with little freshly hatched chicks(so cute! I was so excited for those), playing with my aunt's kittens, going with my aunt to pick up the cow so I can assist her when she milked it...you don't know how delicious fresh milk is when you drink it in the barn! wink.gif (I'm not kidding, lol) I also enjoyed gardening, bathing in the river, fishing... with the bag, anyway.

I think I have some quite nice childhood memories.

I was always a daydreamer. When I wasn't sitting deep in thought ,my favorite things to do were reading and writing.(still are) I also Loved pokemon when I was younger. When I was about 8 or 9 , I used to love building things. Any thing from a toolbox to a bird house. In 5th grade , I made a model house out of wood and painted it. That was fun. I also was addicted to anime from a young age. I still am. The first anime I watched was tokyo mew mew. Sports were always a passion. I loved soccer , football , basketball and hockey. smile.gif

Edit: I forgot about horses. I love horses. Even when I was little , you could always find me at the barn. Unfortunately , I haven't ridden in years.

Edited by Red_Rose87

Wow, here we go. I miss how easy it was to make friends, I'd go anywere and just start talking with anyone of my age. And... I don't know. I loved plushies, horse and animal toys, riding my bike, X-Men, Gargoyles, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Pokemon and a bunch of cartoons I'd spend the day watching. Also playing with my neighbours and imagining we were character of TV series was something I did most days. We also played our Game Boys like mad. And played with pogs, how I loved those.

I also loved to run, jump, play football, swim, fight with my friends... and I hate sports now, haha.

Oh, easy bakes, I always wanted one of those. When I got one...I made one EXTREMELY TINY cake and ran out of ingredients. What a rip off. xd.png

My favorite passtime as a child was the same as it is now, reading.

Why is everyone talking as though teenagers and adults can't play with Legos? I'm a young teenager, and my friend and I still play with Legos. I guess adolescence still counts as childhood? If so, I like to:

Read

Write

Build with Legos

Play Minecraft

Climb trees.

I used to be obsessed with Webkinz, when I was younger. And baby dolls when I was in kindergarten, lol. laugh.gif

My favorite childhood passtimes....

Terrorisingmy cats

Bingo dabbing my little sister green

Sticking marshmellows to the wall

Smearing vasoline and calamine lotion on my dresser...

If you mean Passtimes after the age of 3... then it was

Riding horses

climbing trees

Tromping through the bushes and cornfields

Writing

When I was about four and five, I would constantly plan out what I would do in potentially lethal situations. Except I was/am a little messed up in the head, so it was all completely skewed. If we got in a car crash my legs wouldn't work so I would need my sister to give me her legs so I could sew them on and run for help or she would need to rip out my heart and carry it to hospital yadda yadda yadda.

I would talk to my hallucinations.

When I hit six I started roleplaying. Just pick up a stick and roleplay.

I would also complain to the various plant life.

I'm pretty sure 90% of my childhood was dedicated to playing video and computer games. I can't remember much else. ._. I did little make-believe/role-play games a lot, too.

Nothing wrong with that! >.>

Edited by Switch

I loved to play all the typical little-girl games.

House, Shop, Hairdresser, the like. Lots of make-believe games.

I also liked hopscotch, tag, Man From Mars, and 4-square. I also played soccer and I was epic at dodgeball.

I always read, played with dolls, and made up stories with my stuffies when I was alone.

My parents didn't let me play a lot of computer or video games. I had the original PlayStation when I was 10 or 11, though. I liked Frogger a lot.

I loved watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Rugrats.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

^THIS. My early years, despite being a little girl, revolved around the Ninja Turtles. My parents got tired of the movies, I watched them so much. And I was a Ninja Turtle for Halloween when I was 3. And that was when my mother gave up on me ever being a princess for that holiday. laugh.gif

I was kind of an active, slightly boyish girl. The three families who were closest to us back then all had boys, no girls. One of the dads, when he was watching me and his boy, would throw a ball for us to bring back to him. Points for pushing and shoving and knocking each other down to get to it, and that was before I was 4. rolleyes.gif And the three brothers - all older than me - of another family taught me to climb and run and throw rocks, play with toy guns, etc.

I had more action figures than barbies. Typically, one of the barbies I DID have would be captured by the enemy (dinosaurs and and monsters, usually) and the good guys - Power Rangers, Godzilla, dragons, a Warf action figure (Star Trek: TNG FTW!), etc - would have to rescue her. I took a barbie horse and named her Argo after Xena's horse. xd.png

I played Xena a lot, come to think of it. Had my toy sword, ran around trying to make that lalalalalalala sound.

I had a gameboy color, only game system I had (My parents liked to encourage me to play outside), but I played mario and pokemon on it usually. God, freaking loved the pokemon games (still do, have a couple and I have my orginals!)

Even though I was active a lot, I LOVED books and consumed them like nothing else. Got some... interesting 'teacher comments' on my report cards about how reading was good and all, but I needed to do it after class and not while we were learning something else. tongue.gif

I spent more time outside, than inside, with the kids on the street or the next block, and we'd play soldiers or Hurricane (Run! Hide! THE HURRICANE IS COMING! Phew, that was close. OH LOOK, ANOTHER ONE!) or feral dogs. At school I'd try and play Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers with the boys. My imagination was the BEST and I was constantly putting myself in movies or TV shows or books, loved pretending I was a character and running around (lots of Xena, again. She kicked censorkip.gif).

So, in short:

-Rough play (wrestling, throwing things like rocks, etc)

-Action figures kidnapping and then rescuing other toys

-Xena. All. The. Time.

-Imaginaaaaaation

-Sometimes gameboy

-BOOKS!

-Running around playing Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Batman, Dogs, etc.

I grew up in the country. Climbing trees, hunting frogs and toads (and let them free again, of course), petting cows, building a hideout, visiting the old folks in the village and listening to their tales, helping them out (and getting sweets for being such a nice kid), picking the caterpillars from the garden plants. And having an awful lot of friends to go swimming with or go by bike somewhere and having a picknick.

Aha, sounds like everyone has different things they liked to do - or still like to do! I'm 21 and I still play pokemon haha. When we get a place of our own I'm going to make sure it has a massive backyard and a tree big enough to build an awesome treehouse in. Cos I always wanted one as a kid, I figure my kiddies can have one that all the other kiddies can be jealous of. Muaha.

@FoxPaw - I was never much of a girly girl either. Skirts got in the way of everything and pre-pubescent boys are such sleazes. My best friend loved tarting herself up but that never really interested me.

@Lilithiana - I wish I'd grown up in the country. It sounds magical. My partner's family are all farm-types from farmer parents and apparently when he used to go up and visit them he'd get to ride on quadbikes and hang out with lambs and calves and whatnot. Sounds awesome.

I grew up in the country. Climbing trees, hunting frogs and toads (and let them free again, of course), petting cows, building a hideout, visiting the old folks in the village and listening to their tales, helping them out (and getting sweets for being such a nice kid), picking the caterpillars from the garden plants. And having an awful lot of friends to go swimming with or go by bike somewhere and having a picknick.

That sounds amazing. I grew up in the city and moved to the country later, so I didn't get to run around in nature as much as I would have liked. Got out here and was like, 'wth, why are there so many trees here?'. But it means I get more enjoyment out of the native wildlife and the seasons here than some of my native friends. wink.gif

Skirts got in the way of everything and pre-pubescent boys are such sleazes.

I know, right? But they were the only ones who would play the games I wanted to play. xd.png I would tolerate their idiocy if they would let me be the Red Power Ranger and play pokemon.

Fellow 21 year old here. cool.gif Pokemon and beer (That's actually a lie. I hate the taste of beer)! I'm hoping to have a big yard eventually too, but mostly because I want a pack of dogs and children running around. Nothing is healthier for a child than running with the dogs! Teaches them speed and how to avoid tripping over the gallivanting hounds. Or that's how I was raised, anyway. And it'll have to do, I couldn't build a tree house to save my life. rolleyes.gif

oh ther is not much that have chaged since my child times I alway draw and pant

i love cinema, theater, my animals and some times I m glad to have a 9 Years old nice.

biggrin.gif