Kamak

Pottermore

UPDATE: Another batch of Welcome emails was sent out on Wednesday 24 August, at approximately 3:00pm (BST).

Which was 52 minutes ago. o3o

Which was 52 minutes ago. o3o

No, that happened this morning my time. Which was like 13 hours ago. I think you got your time changes a little mixed up or something.

No, that happened this morning my time. Which was like 13 hours ago. I think you got your time changes a little mixed up or something.

AM, PM. Same difference. =P

Wait, wait, wait. You just got in today, and you're at then end of book 1? I thought each book was going to last...like...a year. That's waht my sister told me. Or at least that they won't be releasing the Book 2 parts until much later. Now I'm confused.

Actually, Pottermore is more of a...plot walk through. It takes the main point of each chapter and summarizes it with a nice image. I got through the whole thing in a few hours of play time, and that was milking it for pretty much everything, but I'm a quick reader. Also, I didn't stop for food or homework tongue.gif

Idk if anyone would consider this a spoiler or not, so I'll white it out all the same:

Each "chapter" unlocks new info about characters, items, or places, and at a few points you interact, like buying your school supplies, getting your wand, getting sorted, "Harry's first potions lesson" where you make potions (which is HARD), or you can "cast" a few spells in charms...you also collect items like books or chocolate frog cards as you explore each area. When you "finish" the book, you can continue to make potions or duel other users to earn House Points. Slytherin is always in the lead, with Gryffindor hot on their tail.

But anyway, the website officially opens October 1st, and they're not releasing the second book until at least then, and probably much later than that. I don't know if we've had any official word on how they intend to release the books, but I'd imagine they're going to spread it out fairly well. Like Kamak said, they want people to be able to get through them without getting left behind because of work/school loads, slow reading, learning/reading disabilities, etc.

Edited by FireAngel73

I don't think Lilly would have been in Slytherin. She was a muggleborn and Salazar hated them. Since the sorting hat was bewitched to take certain conditions into consideration; bravery, intelligence, etc then it could also have been enchanted to consider heritage. For three of the houses this wasn't a big deal, but for Slytherin it was.

I may be wrong of course. Has there ever been a muggleborn in Slytherin?

...well, if I recall correctly, Pure Blood denotes completely wizarding family bloodlines; however, I want to say that Snape was half muggle. Hence, Half-Blood Prince. Wouldn't that have been rather...frowned upon?

(Sorry if this is a bit random, I just found this thread today and that kind of made me think about it.)

...well, if I recall correctly, Pure Blood denotes completely wizarding family bloodlines; however, I want to say that Snape was half muggle. Hence, Half-Blood Prince. Wouldn't that have been rather...frowned upon?

(Sorry if this is a bit random, I just found this thread today and that kind of made me think about it.)

no, half blood means that one of his parents was a mudblood and the other was a pureblooded wizard.

-K-

no, half blood means that one of his parents was a mudblood and the other was a pureblooded wizard.

-K-

From the wiki:

Half-blood is the term commonly given to wizards and witches who have both a Muggle/Muggle-born and magical parent.

^^

Yes, Snape was half-blood, as was Voldemort. :3

Harry is considered a half-blood, even though both parents are wizards.

So, as far as I can tell:

Pureblood - no muggle ancestors

Half-blood - both muggles and wizards in the ancestry

Mudblood/Muggleborn - both parents are muggle

Muggle-borns inherit magic from a distant ancestor; they are descended from Squibs who have married Muggles and whose families had lost the knowledge of their wizarding legacy.

Snape and Voldemort were half-blood because their fathers were muggle, but they were in Slytherin. Harry is half-blood but was almost sorted into Slytherin.

JKR has stated that half-bloods and muggleborns ARE occasionally sorted into Slytherin, but it isn't common.

Edit: I've typed and read "blood" so often that now it looks funny. I hate it when that happens.

Edited by FireAngel73

From the wiki:

^^

Yes, Snape was half-blood, as was Voldemort. :3

Hmm... I thought kids with a muggle parent and a wizard parent were considered something else, though maybe I'm misremembering info from before HBP...

Though this does bring up a question... If a wizard has a non-magical kid with a muggle, are they always squibs (and will have the potential to have magical descendants later on), or can some of them be muggles (depending on genetics or whatever) that will never produce wizard descendants specifically from them nor be able to see magic?

-K-

Well, I think the non-magic offspring of a witch or wizard is ALWAYS a squib. I'm not sure how far down the lineage they become muggles again, but the first generation of non-magic is a squib.

Also, I think that, as long as there is at least one wizard in the family line, magic always has the chance to crop up at a later point in the family. I mean, that's how muggleborns happen. Some greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreatgreat uncle was a wizard, then the family forgot about it, and then a kid pops up with magic.

^ That sounds right to me. :3

~

More Welcome emails are being sent out today (Friday 26 August), from approximately 4:00pm (BST).

And kind of exciting:

Next week on the Insider, we’ll be answering some of the questions we’ve seen from people who are currently exploring the Pottermore site.

-watches email inbox intently-

COME ON I WANT MY EMAIL.

(even though i need another distraction like i need a hole in my head)

Currently a lot of things aren't really working, though. Dueling is still under maintenance, and has been since before I got my letter. I haven't been able to check my messages or view my home page/profile, in at least three days. I know at least some other people are having the same issues. I've also heard of some potions glitch issues, but it's been working alright for me. Granted, I'm God awful at potions, so I don't do them very much. I've only been successful at making the easiest potion...I've had to buy four new cauldrons due to explosions >_>

It's weird, because when I got my letter, everything except dueling was working just fine...

Edit: Messages and home page working again today. Not sure about potions or dueling yet, though.

Edit 2: Dueling still "down for maintenance"

Edit 3: Potions are still glitching sometimes.

Edited by FireAngel73

I reckon I'll probably get sorted into Hufflepuff.

I was on Mugglenet for a little bit a while back, and I got sorted into Slytherin. Possibly because I'm good at placating people, and I generally try to stay on their good side.

I don't think I'll be a Slytherin this time though. Although I still have high ambitions, I've changed quite a bit in the past few years and I don't like manipulating people.

I don't think I'll be in Gryffindor. I can be brave, especially for other people, but I'm really a coward at heart.

Ravenclaw, maybe. I love to think and I love to learn, but I don't see that as my defining trait. And I'm not particularly snobbish about intellect.

The reason I have a feeling about Hufflepuff is because I'm a pretty friendly and accepting person (once I'm past the social awkwardness stage and learn how to interact with people). What's weird is sometimes random strangers will talk to me when I'm out and about by myself, as if I have a massive sign above my head saying "agreeable". huh.gif

But whatever house I'm sorted into, I'll be happy to get in and explore. It sounds fascinating! smile.gif

Edited by vegetariancannibal

I got sorted into Ravenclaw (got in on Aug 15)

I wrote a really long post on my tumblr on my thoughts about Pottermore. It was angry post tongue.gif Got a lot of agreement on it though, only one hater xd.png

I'm really hoping for Ravenclaw or Gryffindor here. Slytherin I guess might be all right; the only one I don't want is Hufflepuff because I honestly do not think I fit into the house well. I feel like I'm too cynical and bitter to fit Hufflepuff (not to mention i have little to no faith in the majority of the human race, lol).

I mean whatever happens it'll be kind of neat. I'm not too wickedly excited about it or extremely angry about not having received an email yet. Only reason I got early access was because I just happened to turn on the computer when the trivia for that day went up and I didn't have to do a spot of looking through the books to solve it. tongue.gif

More Welcome emails are being sent out today (Tuesday 30 August), from approximately 1:15pm (BST).

I want iiiiinnnnnn. x3

~

Er, congrats Piratice? xD

Has anyone gotten into Pottermore yet? I got my acceptance letter this Monday biggrin.gif

Comments are slow and extremely moderated and pms don't exist, so we've created a forum. Otherwise, you have no idea who adds you on the site and can't talk to them at all.

Pottermore Friends

Still, it's really fun. I don't want to spoil, but if you're in you know what I'm talking about.

Edited by AAurion

I've given up on getting my email. With all the glitches it seems like it's not even worth getting excited every time my blackberry light blinks. unsure.gif

Got in on the 29th. I took my time (because I was sick) and had fun with it. I do think they need to expand it a bit more, I would love Transfiguration classes.

I got into Slytherin, sadly, but one of my friends got into Hufflepuff (we both wanted Ravenclaw) so I don't feel as bad. Potions were awesome and I picked up on it immediately (though I didn't realize I needed to spam click the pestle), but I'm a bit disappointed that I did one correctly and it counted it as done wrong.

Also, for those of you that got in and have gotten through the first book:

Did any of you find the McGonagall backstory to be particularly interesting? I think that was my favorite bit of information out of the entire experience. I also liked the details Rowling put into Petunia's dating and marriage of Vernon (and actually made me go "aww" in my head a little bit when he accepted that her sister was a witch), and what happened with Quirrell. I always took him for a sniveling smug snake hiding behind a facade of incompetance, but he's a little more sympathetic when you realize that Voldy has more control over him.

-K-

I still haven't gotten in, but the stuff about glitches in the games and the pm system doesn't bother me. I'm in it for the reading, and the learning, and stuff. It was never really intended to be a site just full of games, so if those don't work very well, whatever. I just want to see it. Please? sad.gif

Why oh why did I have to go away without internet for a month?

Anyways, I really hope I'll get sorted into Slytherin! Always has been my favourite house :3