Corteo

All about the Nilia Dragon: breed bio

So I've been lurking and I heard a few people say that you didn't learn much about the Nilia dragon from their description. The fault is entirly mine as I didn't have enough time to really flesh them out and give Walker, who wrote the description, enough details.

So I've fleshed some more out about them and wanted to pop this in here for you guys. smile.gif

Please please please ignore any fail grammar, spelling, puncuation, or stuff like that. I'm a spriter (oh gosh, auto correct wants to change that to stripper. That's one thing I'm not) not a writer and I fail at words. Hard. xd.png

Name

Nilia Dragons were discovered by Nilia Abbercliff, a young girl, when she strayed from a mountain path on a hike. She was trying to find her way back when she heard a chirp from a cave above her. The chirp was a mix of a cat’s mew and a babies soft cry. Intrigued, she climbed up to examine the sound . What she found was the species that came to be known Nilia’s Dragon, shortened over time to just Nilia Dragon.

Habitat:

Mountains, right near the tree line. They love sunning themselves on large boulders. Nilia dragons live in large groups, of about twenty, within caves. Nilias can sometimes be found in the lower forests surrounding mountains, but as a rule they will live in the mountains.

Diet:

Small mammals such as rodents, birds. Nilia dragons love fish and will hunt often for it. To hunt fish they work together much as a dolphins would. They rely more on speed then on stalking. They have a huge weakness for apples and will do anything they can to get one, it’s one of the few fruits they will eat.

Mating:

Nilia dragons come together in the spring and fall in mass numbers to breed. Some breeding swarms have hundreds of dragons, but it is much more common to find them with sizes of around ninety. Their eggs are heavier then normal because of their thick shells which protect from falling rocks and avalanches. While still in the shell, baby Nilias develop beak like mouths, to break the egg shell, which they quickly lose as they grow.

Wild Behavior:

They are very wary of other dragon, and non dragon, species. They only truly trust their own species out of instinct and are more prone to flight then fight. They have an intense curiosity of anything foreign to them and will examine the object until they find something more interesting. They will then loose almost all interest in the previous object. Nilia dragons are diurnal.

Tame Behavior and keeping:

It is possible to earn the trust of a Nilia, but it is quite difficult. They are easily bribed by food and finding the right treats will quickly gain you favor in their eyes. If you manage to earn their trust they will clamor for you attention constantly. It is often suggested that dragon keepers keep more then one, unless you want all your time taken up by these creatures. Nilia dragons hate being confined in small spaces and need plenty of space in which to live.

Hatchling behavior:

Hatchling Nilias are extremely active and even more curios then the adults. They are a handful to raise, getting into everything they shouldn’t. At about three days their beak like mouths will start to disappear, and by the time they grow wings, it is all but gone.

Dimorphic Differences:

Females are slightly bigger and heavier. Other then their size, it is impossible to tell the gender from their looks. Personality wise male Nilias tend to be more clingy while female Nilias are more independent.

Vocal:

Their warning sound is a shrill shriek, as if from a hawk. They communicate with a large variety of chirps and are often mistaken as cats.

Magic:

Nilia dragons have very little magic. They can breath fire, but it takes about a week for them to be able to do it again, so they only use it in the most dire need. Their only magical ability is to turn rock into bright and fiery gems. They only do it rarely, and even then it does not always work. It is worthless to keep Nilias in order to gain the gems they create, as they will only do it of their own free will.

Feel free to ask any questions about them! Hopefully this thread will help ya'll understand moar about them. smile.gif

Cort

Edited by Corteo

Now that is a great example of how to flesh out a dragon breed's info. You are officially awesome. I don't have any Nilias yet, but now I really want one.

D'aaawwwwwwwww

*coughs* I mean, what a marvelous addition! I think you're a fine writer, and all this additional info makes them all the more desirable to me (though I already do like them well enough ^^ ).

I love the description! You really know how to flesh out your species into realistic characters. I loved the Nilias initially, but now I love them even more! biggrin.gif I wish they could include this on the dragon's page. It would be amazing to read about the dragon in so much depth.

Glad you guys enjoy this. If you've got any questions about them, please ask! biggrin.gif

wow...thanks for the info..makes them more unique from the other dragons ...where as before i thought the nilia's were rather plain compared to the other pygmies....

I love it.

<3

Very nice, Nilia dragons were my least favorite of the pygmies (all 5 of the pygmy species are my favorite dragons though) but this makes me like them more. My favorites are still the original pygmies.

I really want to read more of these for the other pygmies and other dragons.

Thanks, Corteo!

I very much enjoyed reading this, almost as much as I love the Nilia dragons themselves.

(Well... they're REALLY appealing... So maybe not quite.)

Have you written Nilia's story about the discovery of these little guys?

Sounds to me as though you could maybe give Anne McCaffrey a run for her money.

It is possible to earn the trust of a Nilia, but it is quite difficult. They are easily bribed by food and finding the right treats will quickly gain you favor in their eyes.

apples must help xd.png

thank you very much for this information, Corteo! it's so interesting and now I love Nilias even more!

This is great! The cat is adorable, and I love the fact that the dragons have been fleshed out more smile.gif

They are based loosely off of my cat: http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7769/cats007.jpg

Glad you like this, maybe more artists should do this kinda thing. Would be helpful. :B

Awww! I said at the time of the new pygmies' release that I couldn't pick a favorite, but then I started leaning toward the Nilias. Now I know why! *looooooooves cats* *must have sensed a cat vibe in there somewhere*

I love your work, Corteo. I think the Nocturnes are my favorite dragons in the Cave, and I hope the Zmey dragons are released someday. Your shading is jaw-dropping.

That would be very interesting if all the artists gave background info on their dragons. Might make finding names easier!

Have you written Nilia's story about the discovery of these little guys?

Not yet, I really do want to though. biggrin.gif Just need to sit down and do it.

apples must help

laugh.gif that they do, if you can find them before they eat them all.

bwahaha is that a cat or a squirrel?

LOLOL I'm still trying to figure out which. tongue.gif

I love your work, Corteo. I think the Nocturnes are my favorite dragons in the Cave, and I hope the Zmey dragons are released someday. Your shading is jaw-dropping.

Thank you so much! I'm thrilled you like them. though to be fair, I only shading the female Nocturne and female Zmey, with finishing up the male <3

@everyone -

Thanks again for the warm welcome to this thread, I wasn't sure how it would go over. Glad you enjoy learning about them. smile.gif

Edited by Corteo

That definitely made me warm up to Nilias! Also love the cat, I have 3 so I know they can be quite charming and inspirational, not to mention hilarious.

Information like this should be on the dragon's actual page. It would be so much easier to come up with BSAs... and just make the dragons more interesting.

Not yet, I really do want to though. biggrin.gif Just need to sit down and do it.

Well, once you do write Nilia's story, I hope we get to read it!

Haha, good stuff. The idea of them being so gregarious with their own and suspicious around others reminds me of parrots. Especially the part where it's easy to bribe them with food.. =P

Oh, this is awesome biggrin.gif Makes me happy that I've now got... what, three now? All girls xd.png -may have to make reference to this in descriptions and names-