Cybele

The Wheel of Time

Sooo...has anyone read The Wheel of Time series?

I just finished book one, The Eye of the World. It was quite good. I'm not sure if I'll read the rest of the series, I'm not a huge fan of long epic series (the are 14 books in total I think).

Still, if you like fantasy I suggest giving this one a try.

Yep, this is setting up to be a 14-book long epic. You'll need to read each one at least five times to get the gist of what's going on. The characters are mind-numbingly numerous and sexist and there is so much detail and the secrets are frustratingly vague. The author gave next to no Word of God, telling fans to read and figure it out, and now he's dead and there's only his notes to go off of.

I love this series despite all the stuff that drives me insane about it.

It's one of the most epic fantasy series out there, and it also contains some characters that I simply adore (*hugs Perrin*).

I hope you enjoy the rest of the series although many claim that only the first several books are good and that the series deteriorates after that. As for myself, I liked all the books.

I prefer it to Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (not a huge fan of preaching authors) and George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (not a huge fan of authors who kill off favorite characters tongue.gif).

I LOVE the Wheel of Time. I started it in ninth grade and have been in love ever since. Jordan hints at EVERYTHING. Everything is forshadowed at some point. The interconnecting plots form a tapestry as intricate as the Age Lace itself. And the new author is doing a good job of completing it. There are 14 books out now, if you include the prequel and I do, and one more to go. I can't wait! Oh, and yes, I am currantly rereading it for the ....7th time, I think...

It's one of the most epic fantasy series out there, and it also contains some characters that I simply adore (*hugs Perrin*).

I don't have any that I really love, but several of them drive me up the wall. xd.png

Especially Mat.

Which is really funny, because the guy who showed me the series loved Mat. I just looked at him like '-' wat.

Everyone is just so damn stubborn. And hypocritical. And blind of said hypocrisy. Sometimes it's hilarious, but mostly, not so much.

Wheel of Time is probably my favorite book series ever. <3

A lot of the characters definitely frustrate me a lot, especially the girls, but the rest I really like. My favorite would probably have to be Mat.

I don't have any that I really love, but several of them drive me up the wall. xd.png

Especially Mat.

Which is really funny, because the guy who showed me the series loved Mat. I just looked at him like '-' wat.

Everyone is just so damn stubborn. And hypocritical. And blind of said hypocrisy. Sometimes it's hilarious, but mostly, not so much.

Actualy I find some of those human flaws make the characters a lot more interesting. But, hey, I rather enjoy the Chronciles of Thomas Covenant and you can't *get* a more contrary main character than that.

I still haven't read the last one yet. I've got it, but it's massive hardback form (because I got it of course as soon as it came out)... I just can't take it anywhere with me.

Books 1-5 = Great

Book 6 = A slog

After that I can't really remember because I've only read them once.

I do like the series, though I have to say I've gone off my former favourite character (Matt) because... I just don't like what he gets up to (and Perrin + wife are quite annoying to me actually).

Rand annoys me.

Hmmm...

Actualy I find some of those human flaws make the characters a lot more interesting. But, hey, I rather enjoy the Chronciles of Thomas Covenant and you can't *get* a more contrary main character than that.

No, it's nice sometimes, because real people do it too, but it just happens /so much/ it gets annoying.

Plus, so many problems would have been so easier to take care of or not even come up anyway with simple communication and that's just AFGHJKHYUTRDEF. (Again, yes, rl generally sucks at communication too, but I just feel the series takes it too far.)

WoT, to me, is the best of the best. (Guess where the name "Lanette" comes from? Think Lan wub.gif). I own all the books except the last one that came out - haven't gotten around to it yet, mainly because I usually re-read the whole series every time a book comes out.

At this point I'm reading the series out of a morbid fascination with "when will this series END?"

At this point I'm reading the series out of a morbid fascination with "when will this series END?"

After maybe two more books, which should be about when the next Age rolls around.

I'll have to mooch the books off the friend to reread when the next one is announced. Or sooner. It'll take a while.

Read the first book while on vacation. Seems pretty good so far, I think I will go on to continue reading wink.gif

I have read this series multiple times, and love it! Even had to seek out an online fan site to become a member of, that I've been active on now for between three and four years.

The final book in the series is JUST ABOUT TO COME OUT and I am so darn excited it is rather hard to contain myself. biggrin.gif

Love this book series a ton.

I totally love this series. For years Lord of the Rings was my favorite, but lately this one's been a very close second. I admit that the middle books can be frustratingly slow at times, and there are A LOT of secondary and tertiary characters, but I love it all the same. I'll be at the bookstore the morning that last book comes out.

Yeah, the middle books are VERY slow. tongue.gif I do adore the prequel, New Spring! Seeing the inner workings of the Tower and especially Siuan & Moiraine's relationship is just fantastic. ^^

I appreciated those middle books more the second time I read them, but they're still not as good as the others.

I thought the prequel was good, too. It made me understand Moiraine in particular better than I did before I read it. And it had her Aes Sedai test, too--that was really interesting.

Yeah it sure was interesting! Really though it helped me understand far more why the Tower traditions are SO 'important' and also why I hate most of them so much, haha.