Rubin

Rubin's Art

Since there is this fancy subforum, I figured I might as well start a thread here. smile.gif

I'm a traditional artist and mostly dabble in fantasy and character art. My media range from pencils and colored pencils to markers and watercolor.

I'm by far no professional and if there is any advice you have to offer go right ahead. Constructive critisism is always more than welcome.

user posted imageuser posted image

I'm probably going to post mostly my dragons and some assorted creatures here as I figure that's what fits best with DC. If you're interested in my other work, you might want to visit me on DeviantArt .

Now, before you ask: I'm not doing requests. Not at the moment anyway. Why? Easy enough, I don't have the time for it. Plus I am in a tight spot where money is concerned so I'm going to devout all and any art time that I actually have to commissions.

If, however, for some reason you still feel the urge to get original art from me, you could always have a look at my current Art Sale.

user posted image

Those of you, who are hoping for free art, there may be some opportunity here and there to actually snatch some, if I'm in the mood. How? Read below.

Requests:

No, I usually don't do them and I mean it. Under certain circumstances I may be offering a slot or two though.

For example:

-> Holidays/special occassions

-> A case of excepionally good mood and/or boredom

-> Artist's Block. Yes that's right. Nothing better to get your own inspiration going than to work with that of someone else

Any open slots will be announced in the Thread Topic and will be given out on a first come first serve basis. I do not react well to begging or people being pushy though so if you want art, be polite. Easy, right? wink.gif

Scrapbook:

The second post of this thread is my scrapbook. That means I'm going to dump sketches, concepts and random stuff there that I decided not to finish or work with any further.

Anything that shows up in the scrapbook post is free for the taking. Meaning anyone who wants to can snag it and either finish it, edit it or whatever you can think of. All I ask is that I get to see the result. Why? Because I'm curious as all hell, that's why.

Art Trades/Collaborations:

I like art. A lot. So I might actually be convinced every now and then to do an art trade with someone.

Conditions are easy enough: I need to like your art style and I need to have the time to spend on a trade piece. If you want to try for a trade drop me a PM, I'll respond in any case, even if only to politely say "No thanks."

Egg Trades:

In general: no.

The only eggs that might make me reconsider that decision are either Prize Dragon Eggs or CB Metallics. And even with those I'll have to see whether or not I have time to do an artwork for a trade.

Important Notice: Unless a piece of my art is put into the scrapbook section, has been drawn as a gift to you or has been commissioned (ie paid for) by you, you are NOT allowed to use, repost, edit or reproduce it in any shape or form, be it on DC or any other site without my permission.

Edited by Rubin

Aww, thanks smile.gif

user posted image

This is an ink sketch that just kind of happened. Might color it at some point.

This is beautiful traditional work, just gorgeous! I especially love the colors in the water dragon and the way the piece just "flows", like it's truly underwater.

user posted image

This is actually almost the original size of the image. Trying to get back into coloring with my Prismacolors. I almost forgot how long it takes to get something done in that medium.

This is meant to be a little thank you to a couple of people who, despite two LiTs, stubbornly kept at trying to get a gold egg onto my scroll.

Thanks for my first gold dragon! smile.gif

That egg is so shiny. *stares*

I wish I was that good with colored pencils.. I'm currently just beginning to use them. :3

Thanks. smile.gif

@Atha: Just a matter of practise (and the right pencils. I've found that some brands are just icky to use). You'll see that with a bit of patience CPs can be very rewarding to work with smile.gif

user posted image

Random sketch turned into my current WIP

Though I'm still debating which medium to use for the colored version.

Thanks. It's a little long but I don't want to shorten it either. I suppose I'm just going to go with the "it's magic" excuse on this one >_>

Edited by Rubin

user posted image

user posted image

Back to sketching random creatures.

Exams are through and the term paper is handed in, so I've got time again. And while I still don't really have enough money it's not as bad anymore.

So I'm offering ONE request. Simple pencil or marker sketch.

First come, first serve. Claimed

Edited by Rubin

Very nice looking so far...kinda make me want to start my own thread...

About all I can do to give advice is to bump up the contrast a lot and to practice on some color theory. There's a couple artists I could link to you that you might be interested in. Also if you want some really in depth critiques, I would suggest the Furaffinity forums. It's not just for anthro stuff, far from it, There's a plethora of different things on the site and the forums have some very nice people that will help you out a lot on your art.

Thanks for the hints. So far I've been getting critiques from my friends over on DA but I'll have a look at those forums if I find the time.

Though for contrast: These images are traditional pieces and I deliberately don't scan them at the highest possible resolution as that resulted one too many times in art theft. So sadly - especially with watercolors - a certain portion of the contrast and the more subtle hues tend to get lost.

@Toxic: That was a fun character design to work with.

user posted image

user posted image