mickiloo97

The Moon

Like it has been said, the Earth is extremely fragile.

"Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for mankind to keep all its eggs in."

— attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Colonizing the moon would be a good step toward future efforts of colonizing other planets. I support it, as long as the people working toward it know what they're doing.

Edited by TheDarkCynder

Personally, I see inhabiting the Moon as one stepping stone towards inhabiting other planets- both in and out of our Solar System- and making sure that we all don't get crisped when the Sun goes bye-bye in a few billion years. Also, it'd have a lovely view.

We'd have to get there first, of course... wink.gif

There's nothing on the moon to ruin! Here there are ecosystems that we're screwing with, forests we're destroying, oceans we're polluting. There's nothing on the moon except rocks and dust (and an American flag, if the moon landing wasn't a hoax).

The thing I would be worried about is we wouldn't be able to just hang out on the moon, it would end up being like a space station. If the power source went out or something, everyone would be screwed. If there were ever a technology downfall on Earth, we could all just go live in tents.

Also, you'd never be able to go outside without a space suit, and all probability citizens wouldn't be able to go outside at all, just scientists and such. It might ease the tension and threat of war on such a small satellite.

Edited by rainbowsmile

I don't see anything wrong with colonizing the moon. Not like anyone is using it.

user posted image

But seriously, I don't see anything wrong with colonizing the moon either. I've seen some pretty impressive and ingenious ideas on how to colonize it within the next 50 years. Solar, hydrogen, or nuclear-powered biomes, machines that recycle the air and water inside the colonies, huge multistoried greenhouses for growing food, etc. As long as we don't hideously change the moon to where it will affect the Earth, I 'd like to see it happen in my lifetime.

Edited by Kanakha

Moon colonization? Sign me up! I volunteer!

Okay, on a more serious note:

I think it is definitely an interesting idea. Though practically I think it would be better to use the Moon as more of an outpost or jumping off point for colonization of other planets, such as Mars.

Gravity isn't as big of an issue as some make it out to be. Since it is only about 1/6th of Earth's there would have to be exercise regimes used to maintain bone mass, similar to those used on the ISS.

Meteors also aren't that big of an issue. Certainly more than on Earth, but they really aren't that common. Ways of dealing with them would of course have to be thought up, but it is not like it would be a weekly, or even monthly, issue. ISS had been hanging around the Earth outside our atmosphere since 1998 and it is still in one piece.

The sun would be a problem. More harmful radiation would make it to inhabitants on the Moon, since it lacks our lovely atmosphere and magnetic field. Living underground could eliminate this issue.

Do I think it's a good idea? Yeah. I also think that is the direction we are heading as far as space exploration goes. Is it currently scientifically and fiscally feasible? Not yet, but we're heading that direction.

Side notes:

3. Gravity isn't an issue at all. Current models for space colonization as I've seen them so far (I haven't heard any talk of actually trying them. I think they were for hypothetical discussion) ar basically rings with a metal shaft through the middle to make them spin. The colony could regulate how fast it spins so that the artificial gravity caused by the centripital force is actually farily close to the force of Earth's gravitational pull.

Model 1

Model 2

Colony 3

Those are some great ideas, but they are for space-based colonies, not land-based. They wouldn't work nearly as well when there is already a significant gravity field present, such as on a plant or moon.

Regarding overpopulation: It is really not that big a deal. Some places are overcrowded, but there is still lots of room left. And with current trends, it may not be an issue anyway. Europe is in a decline, the US is flattening out. Population Growth Plot (From wikipedia.)

Edit: To replace a word with a more accurate one. (Don't know why I couldn't think of it when I was first writing this.)

Edited by OceanSecrets

I think Humanity will have to wait to colonize the moon. First we have to solve the world problems, and I think It may be difficult to live on the moon, just because man is not used for that.

What can we possibly ruin on the moon? huh.gif

It has no ecosystem or atmosphere to speak of....its already a dead rock.

Aside from aesthetics, nothing really.

I hate the idea of people living on the moon. I don't want to look up every night to see even more artificial lights blocking out even more of the moon. If they do that I'm probably going to go strait up the president and try my best to slap him upside the head to try to get the point across to him. mad.gif or at least wait until I die. I'm up for almost anything, but this is one thing that I feel very strong about. I'm good with them using it as a station or something but I feel that people shouldn't live on the moon.

I hate the idea of people living on the moon. I don't want to look up every night to see even more artificial lights blocking out even more of the moon. If they do that I'm probably going to go strait up the president and try my best to slap him upside the head to try to get the point across to him. mad.gif or at least wait until I die. I'm up for almost anything, but this is one thing that I feel very strong about. I'm good with them using it as a station or something but I feel that people shouldn't live on the moon.

What, so we can live on the moon as long as you die first?

I don't ike that idea... Maybe.... But i just see the moon as something peaceful and natural. If we have to then yes, but then it would be like anthing else humans get their grubby hands on - fake and ugly. But of course, its a good idea... wink.gif

Thats just my opinion though.

I completely support the idea of colonizing other celestial bodies, hopefully even past the moon. The Earth isn't going to very great in a few hundred years with the population we have now. When enough funds are available, it should definitely be further explored.

---

"Today the human race is a single twig on the tree of life, a single species on a single planet. Our condition can thus only be described as extremely fragile, endangered by forces of nature currently beyond our control, our own mistakes, and other branches of the wildly blossoming tree itself. Looked at this way, we can then pose the question of the future of humanity on Earth, in the solar system, and in the galaxy from the standpoint of both evolutionary biology and human nature. The conclusion is straightforward: Our choice is to grow, branch, spread and develop, or stagnate and die."

Robert Zubrin, Entering Space, 1999

---

EDIT: dry.gif I didn't even know I posted on this topic before. Thought it was a new one.

Edited by TheDarkCynder

I've been watching the Science Channel (I'm a nerd) and scientists have been thinking about if they could colonize the moon. But does anyone see the wrong in that?! It's the moon! Humans belong on Earth! If we belonged on the Moon, we would of evolved there in the first place. But really, does anyone else think that it's wrong? To inhabit the moon.? Come on people.

We would have evolved there in the first place? I think you mean our first organisms would have been created there, because 'evolving there' makes no sense whatsoever. Teleportation isn't part of evolution. If by that you mean we would have evolved and created technology so that we effectively could live on the moon... we have. Technology is arguably a byproduct of our evolution.

Still, I don't think we should inhabit the moon. I mean, look, we've already went through all the trouble of ruining Earth. Why throw it all away and start fresh elsewhere? But seriously, my reasoning isn't because it's unethical to inhabit the moon. It's because I don't see any purpose for it aside from 'because we can'. The question isn't 'Why not?' but 'Why?'

Why the moon? We'll just screw it up like we did to Earth. :c

Nothing to add here. It's been more than enough what humankind did to earth, if we want to go down with our ship, fine. We have no business elsewhere in the universe.

Eh, moon colonies? Well, not like we could ruin a dead rock. Money is an issue, but it could be done, I guess.

Meh, nothing much to add besides what's already been said - I support this. And as a person who works with nuclear power every darned day, all I can say is the plans for lunar nuclear stations that I've been privy to through conversations with some engineers I know at Bettis/KAPL laboratories are impressive to put it lightly.

To those griping about seeing city lights in the night sky... look at the pictures of the Earth from the moon. In every last one of them, even the photos of 'crescent' Earth where most've the planet that's visible from the moon's surface is in night, you can't see any city lights. Even when you know that the entirety of Europe is in darkness given what you can see on the lighted remains of the sphere. I for one don't think that any measly light blinking from a lunar station would be visible from the planet unless you're viewing it through an awesome telescope. It'd just be your knowledge ruining the view for you via your bias. smile.gif

And kill the moon? I think it's just as probable as us killing the planet - we can take out most life here, but the planet itself? It's a rock with a molten core. Not doing. I have yet to devise a way to 'kill' a rock. Or lava, for that matter. Perhaps we can substitute the word 'demolish' for the word 'kill' and make it a more viable statement? But even that I can't see happening with our current capacities. Even our most powerful weaponry has nary a chance of penetrating the crust - if we can't get through that, there's really no chance of us demolishing the planet as a whole.

Well, as Wends' said- not much to say that hasn't already been said- that included. But my two cent's worth anyway:

If the human race is going to survive without practically killing off half of its population at times, it has to leave this world eventually. We're overpopulated already. What do you think is going to happen in the next two or three centuries if we keep outpacing our food supply or worse: destroying it just to build more homes/businesses?

Nothing good, believe it. Any time the human population has expanded beyond its ability to support decently, plague-conditions develop: undernourishment, poor & overcrowded living conditions and lack of clean water. End result: uncountable numbers of dead people. The last such extreme situation was the advent of the Black Plague- read up on it.

The other, less health-and-more-resource related problem that emerges: war. Don't look forward to a peaceful future if we don't find new places to expand to and harvest food and materials from that someone else isn't already living on. This planet's supply is finite, and so is the general patience of a nation for negotiations.

So yes- if it means colonizing the moon as a gateway to the rest of the solar system and beyond to avoid a potentially very ugly future for a single-planet bound population outgrowing said planet? By all means- get those starships rolling, folks. We've a universe to explore. (Let's just hope we don't have any immediate neighbors who might be waiting around in their flannel checkered spacesuits with double barreled laser rifles to go "get offa my lawn!". That could get awkward.)

TELL THEM NOT TO DISTROY THE MOON!!!

Please tone down the caps. Users don't like being shouted at.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Nothing to add here. It's been more than enough what humankind did to earth, if we want to go down with our ship, fine. We have no business elsewhere in the universe.

One of the most popular beliefs for the origin of the Moon is that it was actually the result of a large object colliding with pre-Earth, blasting parts of our original planet into orbit. So, technically, it still is part of our ship. Just scraps of it.

As I didn't read the entire thread, I'm not sure if someone has said this before.

But in my opinion, yes it would be pretty interesting to colonise the Moon and hear about the brave people who'd maybe live in there for the rest of their lives.

(I, personally, would not want to leave Earth lol, but I know there are many who would c: )

I am fascinated with astronomy; anyway whatever is related to planets, stars, moons, galaxies, etc. I love seeing, reading, hearing about these subjects. biggrin.gif

However, unfortunately Earth is already facing issues enough, of any kind, specially: social issues, economics, politics, violence, crimes, wars, lack of respect/consideration/comprehension, human misery, bad/lack of education, and probably the worst one: constant destruction of the nature. And many others, of course, there are countless problems like these that need to be fixed. I'm not saying, "solve ALL these problems first, like 100%", but at least reduce them all significantly.

I think we all shall contribute as much as we can to make Earth a better place first, and faster of course, then we can think of the Moon, Mars or even Europa/Titan, amongst other interests. tongue.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love to see brilliant events and discoveries when it comes to astronomy, but I think we shall really improve our own home first before thinking of "colonising somewhere else" and etc. :/

Anyway, I hope my opinion at least made sense. xd.png

Ugh. I hate that notion of colonizing the moon so much. It kinda reminds me of the movie "Elysium" where only the rich and privileged will live on it. That and/or decide to exploit the moon, destroy that too. Heck it will give some the idea that "hey we can screw up the earth more so, we got somewhere else to live". dry.gif

I don't understand why there's anything wrong with colonization of the moon. I mean, it's a rock. It has no animals or plants or anything, as far as we know, so there's nothing to ruin. It'd be like bio-engineering to live in a desert or barren mountains, except better because there's no inhabitants we'd drive out or homes we'd ruin.

If it weren't for the cost we'd probably already be doing it. The pollution thing is a problem (sorry space), but living on the moon would probably need some strict recycling programs to keep that from happening so we wouldn't run out of air/water/materials/what have you.

We're gonna need more farmland for the growing population anyway. Either we move off fertile soil to farm or we make the farms where crops normally wouldn't be able to grow.

I'd hoped we've learned something about not destroying everything around us since the last time we've visited the moon several decades ago.

If we listened to nature we'd live in caves and fear fire, not harness lightning and flight.