AGYK

Scroll messages

I really like this idea, both the custom and premade. I've thought about that myself not too long ago, it would be neat.

Custom was already shot down many times because it creates the added work and extra problem of longer nastier comments. Nasty dragon names are already an issue, no need to go adding custom messages to add on to the problem. On top of the fact that the custom messages will probably have more characters so that's a lot of nasty.

Premade messages, some form of linking forum profiles on scrolls, and an in game message system with a block and report option would be nice. Premade to ensure it is not abused for nasty, insulting, or derogatory messages, and the message system to allow players who don't frequent or use the forums to still communicate and such. The message system can even be optional and can be toggled on or off so users don't get spammed or simply for those who have no use for it. For those of us with forum profiles, being able to link them on our scrolls would be really nice on top of everything.

I don't really see the argument for non-custom messages since, there are other things that we can customize - such as dragon names, descriptions, and also Holiday events (where we send little messages to each other)...Yes, maybe because all those things go through some sort of filter - to weed out the negative messages but - but I don't see why there wouldn't be one for the scroll message as well? Obviously swear words and other slurs and such could have a trigger, and the message denied to be entered.

It would be easier to report a nasty message on top of a scroll than to go through how many pages of dragons to find nasty named ones.

Either way, if the presets are up to par with what most users would use, then yeah, sure put them in. But in the case of writing your own message, perhaps a short phrase about your scroll or even what your forum username is, then I don't see the presets working here. This would all be down to "What are we using this message-space for?" Everyone would probably use it differently.

I'm sure this had an older thread before...

Just my two cents biggrin.gif

Perhaps there is a separate (also optional) field for forum username? This would be typed in by the user, but it would check that this name is actually a name used on the forums. This way, nobody could just type in the f-bomb and let it be accepted.

It could have 3 options: Off, so the line doesn't show at all, "Not on the forums" and "My forum username is ___." The ___ could link, perhaps optionally, to the forum profile, but it would definitely check that the text is actually a forum username.

This is in addition to the scroll message, so that users can show their forum username as well as having that message.

I don't really see the argument for non-custom messages since, there are other things that we can customize - such as dragon names, descriptions, and also Holiday events (where we send little messages to each other)...Yes, maybe because all those things go through some sort of filter - to weed out the negative messages but - but I don't see why there wouldn't be one for the scroll message as well? Obviously swear words and other slurs and such could have a trigger, and the message denied to be entered.

It would be easier to report a nasty message on top of a scroll than to go through how many pages of dragons to find nasty named ones.

Either way, if the presets are up to par with what most users would use, then yeah, sure put them in. But in the case of writing your own message, perhaps a short phrase about your scroll or even what your forum username is, then I don't see the presets working here. This would all be down to "What are we using this message-space for?" Everyone would probably use it differently.

I'm sure this had an older thread before...

Just my two cents biggrin.gif

The issues stands that as is, the filter is a bit broken. If you check for the suggestion about improving the censoring system, it will give you plenty of examples of where the censor/filter is really lacking. If personal messages work under this same censor/filter, then there is every posibility that users will begin to see that it becomes a bit harder to actually rite what they want properly.

Thats kind of why I would rather this suggestion steer away from that because as is its hard enough to find and report the nasty names, on top of that we're gonna have to be wary of top of the scroll visible messages to all being negative, derogatory, or just plain wrong? No thatnks.

I see more of a need for a personal cave notepad or even scroll separators, but if scroll messages are something people want, I think something customizable with small character limit (50?) for such things would be fine. The reason I don't see a huge need for this, however, is that users would have to have a way to contact each other and/or be regularly checking other scrolls for this to actually be useful. =U If we only have one, then the messages aren't going to do much that I can see.