AGYK

Scroll messages

Nah, you can put wishlists on your profile and/or sig. *points to his* If you don't have a forum account, there isn't really a way to trade, so there's no point in having that on your scroll, particularly when (as you pointed out) wishlists can be very complicated.

Edited by Danne

I like the generic messages so far, especially the one about not ERing my dragons. smile.gif

*bump*

Anyone want to suggest more messages? I don't think the few we have so far justify all the coding that'll be required to implement them.

Nah, you can put wishlists on your profile and/or sig. *points to his* If you don't have a forum account, there isn't really a way to trade, so there's no point in having that on your scroll, particularly when (as you pointed out) wishlists can be very complicated.

Not everyone registers on the forum though. I'm scroll number 8060 and I'm forum user number 534. But I do agree on wishlists becoming very complicated, though having a dropdown menu might be nice.

Also, I support this idea, and start with generic messages first. TJ09, if implemented, should hire more description moderators. I'm willing to apply.

Also,

"Please do not ask me for rares."

Hm. I think I like this idea. happy.gif

I could see it as something useful for a friend of mine. He's not exactly a forum-goer; he only joined because he liked the Nebula dragons. xd.png

Generic messages sound pretty okay for now. Of course, I (like a few others here) would be glad to help the mods with description approval. Perhaps when people could apply again, I might give it a go. Despite my sporadic posting in the forums, I check my eggs almost every day. happy.gif

As for some of the basic messages... I think I have a few.

"I will be gone for a while. If you need anything, ask me when I return."

"If you need help, feel free to ask me."

"I will take any unwanted dragons."

It's up to you whether you use them on the list or not. It's late here, and I don't exactly have the brightest ideas after 8:00 PM... although I do become quite honest. xd.png

Tetra wishes all happy holidays while she's at it. happy.gif

I agree with this. Messages would be wonderful.

Also, generic messages are definitely the best way to do this, to prevent abuse, but I can't think of a realistic reason that you would only be able to choose generic ones. If you really had a scroll, and you wanted to write a message, I don't see how you would be limited in choices.

Just my opinion on generics.

I would support implementing both options. That way, if a user doesn't want to say something particularly specific but doesn't want to wait for mod approval, they can use a generic option, but if they want to say something specific and don't mind waiting, they can make a custom message.

Also, I think we should have many, many, many more description mods in any case, especially if this is implemented.

I absolutely love this idea, and I love the idea someone suggested of having a page to write a story about our scrolls it would be so awesome. I deffinetly love the idea of a having a message things for your scroll and generic messaging is probably the best way to go, espacially if there was a good sized list.

Not everyone registers on the forum though. I'm scroll number 8060 and I'm forum user number 534. But I do agree on wishlists becoming very complicated, though having a dropdown menu might be nice.

I really think wishlists are a bad idea. I've seen (and requested) things as specific as "3rd-gen even-gen White from all White x Holly pairs", and that would be a nightmare to code. Wishlists would have to be a textbox where users can enter what they want, and that would require mods as well.

As for some of the basic messages... I think I have a few.

"I will be gone for a while. If you need anything, ask me when I return."

"If you need help, feel free to ask me."

"I will take any unwanted dragons."

Nice ideas! The "accepting unwanted/inbred dragons" message is especially helpful, I think. I've added all three to the list, and one of my own as well.

I would support implementing both options. That way, if a user doesn't want to say something particularly specific but doesn't want to wait for mod approval, they can use a generic option, but if they want to say something specific and don't mind waiting, they can make a custom message.

Also, I think we should have many, many, many more description mods in any case, especially if this is implemented.

SPS said she's basically the only one modding descriptions at the moment, so it's not really fair to give her even more work to deal with. If more description mods are added, though, custom messages might become an option.

^ <3

If description mod applications aren't open, no one knows what qualified people might have tried since they were last "closed".. /shrugs

Given the fall in all mods for the DC sections (SD, help, requests) it would be great if those were open again anyway.

Personally, I think 500 characters is longer than necessary for the top of a scroll. The really important things that someone has to say could probably fit in a sentence. Dragon descriptions are usually much longer, and it'll be a lot more obvious when these top-of-scroll descriptions are inappropriate (since many of them will say the same thing, whereas dragon descriptions tend to be more subtle). It would be faster to go through these than dragon descriptions.

Edited by kadoatie

^This.

I for one would love to leave a message that it is ok to ER my eggs if they are below two days, but I don't want help before that(the above situation is in case I lose my internet connection, again). Generic messages are fine and dandy, but could never cover everything a person could want or need, at least without becoming overwhelming.

Yes, I love this! I think it's necessary as DC moves towards a more social atmosphere with the introduction of Teleport as foreshadowed in that massive News update a little while back.

I too like the idea of having both generic messages and modded messages and agree that we need a lot more description mods. Imagine what we could get done if we had even five really active mods... or ten, or fifteen... there are a bunch of really literate people around the forum who would do a great job.

I would support this as long as you can opt NOT to have messages.....

Cos I don't want any ! Not to give, not to receive.

(Of course, I won't touch facebook either !)

I don't like this idea, I'm happy with as it is now.

It's so cool, when welcome messages are done be certain dragons! I use chickens for intro/outro and scroll dividers, some of friends use pygmy hatchies, dinos, papers, alt blacks, - it gives everyone a choice to select their own pattern, and just looks awesome.

If you implement official messages, it will ruin the fun and make all those scrolls look stupid, and people have worked on it.

It's so cool, when welcome messages are done be certain dragons! I use chickens for intro/outro and scroll dividers, some of friends use pygmy hatchies, dinos, papers, alt blacks, - it gives everyone a choice to select their own pattern, and just looks awesome.

If you implement official messages, it will ruin the fun and make all those scrolls look stupid, and people have worked on it.

That's why it would be OPTIONAL, so people don't have to use it.

I fully support this idea. (:

You could still use dragons for scroll messages and dividers.

My suggestion didn't say anything about dividers - IMHO, they'd be too difficult to implement to make them worthwhile - so you'd need to use dragons for those.

If you want to use dragons for scroll messages as well, all you'd need to do is not set an "official" scroll message, and use your dragons instead. That would also be a good way to do custom messages unless/until additional mods are brought on to make "official" custom messages possible.

I like this idea, even though I might not use it. I think doing generic messages at first would be best.

I would like this idea, but it should be optional, as not everyone will want to use it.

generic messages at first would be good, and i support this smile.gif

I think having an option to add a generic scroll message is a fabulous idea - and I for one would definitely use it...

That said, I do see one possible concern with the suggestions for the "please pm me / send me a request" messages. Many people on DC don't use the forums, so, how would they be able to make such a request? Granted, it might get more people to use and explore the forums, but...

I don't think it is a show stopper, by any means, but, I just thought I would make the observation.

I don't see how approving a short custom message would be any more work for the mods than approving dragon descriptions at the moment.

And maybe limit it to 150 characters instead? Then it would be faster to approve.

That said, I do see one possible concern with the suggestions for the "please pm me / send me a request" messages. Many people on DC don't use the forums, so, how would they be able to make such a request? Granted, it might get more people to use and explore the forums, but...

I don't think it is a show stopper, by any means, but, I just thought I would make the observation.

Maybe there could be an option button to turn-off/accept requests (for a message box on our scrolls). It would help make connecting with other people on the game easier..

Also I think this 'scroll message' idea is swell. Although I do love seeing all the creativity that goes into making the customized 'dragon messages'.

Suggestion on the generic messages? If it isn't already suggested/implied, make it where each message could be added via check box?

For example, checking off

[X]"Hi and welcome to my scroll!"

[ ]"I take breeding requests."

[ ]"I gift via The Giving Tree; if you want something, please post there."

[ ]"Please don't ask me to breed anything."

[ ]"Do not ask for a Holly/I will ignore your request for a Holly."

[ ]"Please do not ask me for rares."

[X]"If you need help, feel free to ask me."

[X]"I will take any inbred/unwanted dragons."

[X]"Please don't ER my dragons; I know what I'm doing."

[ ]"I will be gone for awhile. If you need anything, ask me when I return."

would yield:

"Hi and welcome to my scroll! If you need help, feel free to ask me. I will take any inbred/unwanted dragons. Please don't ER my dragons; I know what I'm doing."

(On a side note, I think it should be "Hi, and welcome to my scroll!". But I could be wrong.)

mulitple at once would really be nice. then you don't constantly have to change your message or debate on which one to choose.