AGYK

Scroll messages

Links could be used to set up a dragoncave password phishing page, as well as for ... Stuff.

Links could be used to set up a dragoncave password phishing page, as well as for ... Stuff.

Oh yes. And I also recall somewhere where old posts were edited by a hacker, to include fairly foul pawn links. (I had to evade the censor to do that, as it needed saying specifically... Please don't hit me...)

I'm pissed right now. I have the no-aid message turned on, but someone added my gold egg to a site (don't know when or where) and hatched it for me. I was deliberately keeping that egg low-view so I could trade it.

I never really cared one way or the other about this suggestion before, but right now I *reallllllly* wish I could've had a huge "DO NOT ER MY DRAGONS" sign on my scroll.

That sucks sad.gif I agree, I want a message like that on my scroll too xd.png

I'm pissed right now. I have the no-aid message turned on, but someone added my gold egg to a site (don't know when or where) and hatched it for me. I was deliberately keeping that egg low-view so I could trade it.

I never really cared one way or the other about this suggestion before, but right now I *reallllllly* wish I could've had a huge "DO NOT ER MY DRAGONS" sign on my scroll.

^^ This is so wrong! Whether someone thought they were being "helpful" or a deliberate attack, it is wrong and I wish there was a way to prevent this on the site. Unfortunately, if it was some small minded miscreant at work, I don't know that a banner would have made any difference. sad.gif

I do support this idea though, because I currently have four dragons at the top of my scroll with a message of welcome and some personal considerations. I do think it would make some sense to have the 'accepting aid/not accepting aid" message right at the top of the scroll, too.

Oh my a two- no, almost three year old thread?

I'm gonna have to agree with fuzz's post up there, though. If people want to mess with your eggs, they won't care how many times you tell them not to do something... It might stop the people trying to be helpful, but not the people who just want to mess with your good eggs.

didn't see a duplicate topic so I am posting this

I was thinking if we could have a short custom note at the top of our scrolls which for example would list like our forum names, how our scroll is sorted or if we taking breeding requests and various things like that.

would it be possible?

pros and cons?

I think a lot of people would like this option, considering I've seen some scrolls use the names of their topmost dragons as a description. There would need to be some kind of review/ approval system (like with the dragon descriptions) but I think this idea could work smile.gif

Edited by Fiarlie

I know there *are* definitely other threads with similar ideas...but I'd have to go find them. I can't find them just skimming through. I think they were called something different like descriptions or messages or something, but it's all essentially the same thing: a message the user can put at the top of their scroll.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I'd love that smile.gif

Personally, I don't see the need for mod approval - we don't need mod approval for dragon names either. But a report button to report inappropriate messages would be useful.

And I'd like to be able to decide where that banner would be found on my scroll - I'd like to put it between my growing things and adults. Others might prefer to put it on top of their scroll.

I didn't find this suggestion previously, but if it has been please link me to it.

Could we have a user editable field per scroll that defines the scroll/user status?

After being inactive quite a while, I wish I could have had a means of writing at the top of the scroll "Taking a break" or something along those lines.

Others may use it to put in requests similar to the ones in their forum signature, such as "Looking for nebula hatchies".

Right now you could simulate this by having a dragon at the top and renaming it to your status, but that's very limiting in the number of characters and then 2 people can't have the same one.

Thoughts?

I remember something similar was brought up and I would personally have to say no. I mean there really seems to be no use for it since you already mentioned the most common and easiest way to accomplish this. On top of that you could user more than one dragon should the space not be enough for you. This is really just setting it up so trolls can start writing nasty things and extra work for mods to be checking here and there to ensure some scrolls aren't abusing it to say awful things.

If it could be a premade message that you select a button, click on an "okay" button and it displays a generic message like "Currently on Hiatus" or "On vacation" Things like that I might be okay with. Otherwise I have to say Nah.

You're right that there is a way to work around it, but how many would want that, versus a place that's specially designed for it? I for one would prefer to have that as a scroll headline.

I think that it would make scrolls more friendly rolleyes.gif

For the part about saying nasty things, isn't the same problem with naming dragons? If they're CB with no kids, there is noone to report them. The same check that's being done now for the names of such dragons would be done for the status. It's impossible for mods to do this with so many scrolls and dragons anyway. I will guess there already is such a check when you name your dragon, along with checking if the name is already taken. So just apply the same check when someone updates their status.

Having a list to choose from would be a nice start for getting some feedback, but I still think something custom makes the scroll appearance cuter smile.gif

You have to think about how useful it is, easy to moderate, and still works with your idea. Custom may be cute, but the extra work this would be imposing on to mods is not gonna be cute at all.

Custom messages are not necessary. Again you could have generic messages that really fit in to the necessary situations.

Going on hiatus for a bit?

"Currently on hiatus."

Going on vacation?

"On vacation. Back in [insert drop down with options anywhere beetween 1, 2, 5 days 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 1 year]."

Looking for something to trade?

"Currently looking for [insert drop down with all available breed names]."

Have something you wanna trade?

"Currently Trading [insert drop down with all available breed names]."

Just because there is enough work with nasty names being a thing doesnt mean that we should add on the work of now nasty custom messages. On top of, mods don't have the power to mess with scrolls. So if someone puts up a really offensive custom message like "Fags should die" Then its gonna stay there until someone reports it, TJ sees the report, and then fixes it. It could be a few hours to a few days seeing as TJ is busy. Lets not add on to the giant mess that nasty names already created. Generic messages like the above still convey what you want without allowing for abuse of said system.

Generic messages would be quite enough. And I don't know why you'd want to tell people you are on hiatus anyway ?

There's no point having a note about what you are looking for on your scroll, BTW, as you have to be on forum for people to contact you - and please let us not have direct contacts via scrolls.

So put that kind of thing in your signature here.

EA how do you mean - there is no-one to report bad CB names ? I have often done so.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Generic messages would be quite enough. And I don't know why you'd want to tell people you are on hiatus anyway ?

There's no point having a note about what you are looking for on your scroll, BTW, as you have to be on forum for people to contact you - and please let us not have direct contacts via scrolls.

So put that kind of thing in your signature here.

In cave message system would be sooooooo nice for those who cannot use the forums. .w.

An option to link to your forum profile could be cool. Vacation/hiatus would be obvious from the lack of growing things on your scroll and when you're coming back only matters if someone needs to trade/communicate with you, in which case they must have another way to contact you where you can leave that message anyway.

An option to link to your forum profile could be cool. Vacation/hiatus would be obvious from the lack of growing things on your scroll and when you're coming back only matters if someone needs to trade/communicate with you, in which case they must have another way to contact you where you can leave that message anyway.

Link to forum - OK as long as it is OPTIONAL. I don't actually want anyone contacting me via my scroll xd.png

Link to forum - OK as long as it is OPTIONAL. I don't actually want anyone contacting me via my scroll xd.png

Well you know how some sites, including this forum, give you the option to input things like your MSN, Email, etc? We could have something similar. An optional box that says "Enter your Dragon Cave Forum Profile link here so others on the site can find you there." and then you enter the lint, press submit and on your scroll page near the top or something will have a button of some sort that when clicked send the user to your forum profile. Thats perfect.

Completely agree it should be optional - I'd mostly use it but there would be times I'd turn it off and there are currently times I wish I'd picked a new screen name for the forum.

I like the idea of a simple choice of things to add to your scroll. Things such as '<seeking/trading>: <breed1>, <breed2>, <breed3>' and 'On hiatus, back in <time>' would be really useful little scroll highlights.

I'd also like to suggest an (optional) 'I breed: <On request/for trades/only for projects/never>' marker. This would make it clear, if anyone finds your scroll and wants an egg, whether it would be worth it to ask for one.

Also some way of suggesting new scroll descriptions would be useful, but not necessary as it would take more mod time.

I also like the idea of a forum link. Perhaps there's just an optional space where you can type in your forum username? That would be simple enough to do, and if you have that then you can easily just search it.

I actually like being able to contact users via the cave. Whenever I search through lineages, I always see something that makes me go, "I wish I had an egg from those dragons, I could do something really pretty with it." I always look at the view page of the dragons, but most of the time the scroll is hidden and even when it isn't there's no way for me to tell who the person is on the forums. It's actually rare for anyone to communicate over the site.

So, either a link to the forum profile, a name, or some kind of in-cave message system would be perfect.

Honestly if an in-cave messaging system was put into place a pregenerated sort of status system (where you could pick from things like "trading for [breedname]" or "inactive for [time]") would be pretty great, but as-is it's not a terribly useful idea. (Also I think the idea of a "custom" status has been nixed in the past, although I can't remember clearly.)

Yeah should a thing like a pre made message/status for your page be a thing, I think it would have to go hand in hand with the option to add in your forum profile and/or in cave messaging system.