Darkling1212

Harry Potter

These movies are my childhood and growing up period. I can't imagine my life without these, they are just something that I deeply adore and will forever love with all of my heart. wub.gif

My favourite movies are, if I really have to choose, "The chamber of secrets" and "The goblet of fire", but I really like them all. I also like "The sorcerer's stone" because everything started with it - something new and magical that I grew to love so much. wub.gif

I also like "The order of the phoenix" mainly because of the rebellion against the system (go to hell, Umbridge), the craziest things that Fred and George (my favourite characters) had done, and because my favourite spell was in the center of attention. wub.gif Expecto Patronum. wub.gif

RIP Alan Rickman, (Snape). He died today after battling cancer. Majestic and talented actor, you will be missed.

RIP Alan Rickman, (Snape). He died today after battling cancer. Majestic and talented actor, you will be missed.

It's so sad sad.gif I hate Cancer.

He will be missed. RIP. ;.; I hope his family is okay and I wish them the best though they will probably never see this. So sad to lose such an amazing actor.

While I loved Harry Potter, I will best remember him as Dr Lazarus, in Galaxy Quest..."What do you mean, 'scene stealing hack'??" lol...

When he got the part in HP, I knew he would be spectacular in it. And he was.

Edited by Riverwillows

Still heartbroken for David Bowie's death, and now Alan Rickman. Can we go back to 2015 please?

Alan was a superb actor, loved him as Snape, of course, but also as Hans Gruber in Die Hard, voicing Marvin in the Hitchhiker's Guide, in Love Actually, Sense and sensibility, and so many others that escape my memory right now.

Rest in peace <3

I've seen Alan Rickman in many different roles, but Severus Snape will always stand out to me.

Raise your wands everyone.

user posted image

user posted image

It wasn't JK Rowling who dumped or cut the directors Chris Columbus didn't want to do more of them. That said, it is a shame I much preferred his vision version to the later directors.

I liked the movies and probably would have liked them more except they did cut out my favorite bits from the books.

I'm the same - I liked Chris Columbus's vision of the movies much better than subsequent directors' visions. And I have to agree with Enitsnid that I didn't like the jumps in tone from movie to movie - not so much the natural "things are getting darker as the subject matter gets darker," but there was this jolting sense of... whatever the opposite of seamlessness is. (Seamfulness?) It often felt like each new director was completely transplanting the last director's vision with their own, and without any concern for making the movies feel like they belonged together. (Though I'm sure it wasn't easy to create any sense of seamlessness, with all the turnover that happened with the directors.)

(And on another note: it's so sad to hear of such a great actor as Alan Rickman passing away. May he rest in peace.)

I've seen Alan Rickman in many different roles, but Severus Snape will always stand out to me.

Raise your wands everyone.

Brilliant pictures. I will miss him so much sad.gif

I picked up a black egg from the cave today. Going to use him as an Alan Rickman/Snape tribute.

That scene in the pictures I posted earlier is all that has been going through my mind every time someone has mentioned Alan Rickman's passing today (yes, I'm a nerd and have a vast network of Harry Potter friends online and in real life).

Raise your wands.

I picked up a black egg from the cave today. Going to use him as an Alan Rickman/Snape tribute.

That scene in the pictures I posted earlier is all that has been going through my mind every time someone has mentioned Alan Rickman's passing today (yes, I'm a nerd and have a vast network of Harry Potter friends online and in real life).

Raise your wands.

Awww that's so sweet wub.gif

I'm the same - I liked Chris Columbus's vision of the movies much better than subsequent directors' visions. And I have to agree with Enitsnid that I didn't like the jumps in tone from movie to movie - not so much the natural "things are getting darker as the subject matter gets darker," but there was this jolting sense of... whatever the opposite of seamlessness is. (Seamfulness?) It often felt like each new director was completely transplanting the last director's vision with their own, and without any concern for making the movies feel like they belonged together. (Though I'm sure it wasn't easy to create any sense of seamlessness, with all the turnover that happened with the directors.)

(And on another note: it's so sad to hear of such a great actor as Alan Rickman passing away. May he rest in peace.)

This.

The first two movies felt like they were taking place at a magic school, complete with kids running around in wizards robes and stuff. From the third movie on it felt more like a school that happened to be a castle teaching magic. They even switched to more 'muggle' looking uniforms.

This.

The first two movies felt like they were taking place at a magic school, complete with kids running around in wizards robes and stuff. From the third movie on it felt more like a school that happened to be a castle teaching magic. They even switched to more 'muggle' looking uniforms.

I agree - the more muggle-ish costumes bugged me, too. Like... it was fine(ish) for when they were outside of school, but having them in uniform when they were at Hogwarts just felt like it made more sense, both in terms of the story and in terms of setting the tone. Plus, it took away a certain sense I got from the books, where it felt like the muggle world was just as alien to most wizards as the wizarding world was alien to muggles/muggle-born wizards.

And from the third movie on, the films lost a lot of their sense of "this is a magical world that is completely different from the muggle world and that tries incredibly hard to keep itself separate." (While I don't think this is entirely due to the costume choices, the changes in costume design certainly didn't help.)

There is one main thing that disappointed me with the movies as a whole.

WHERE IS PEEVES?!

I mean he wasn't mentioned more than passing in a few of the books but he was central to a few really good scenes from the books, especially in the 5th book with Umbridge when he was more or less given permission by the teachers to cause chaos and mayhem. xd.png

Seems like he was originally going to be in the first movie, even had someone cast for him, but then they cut him out before they started filming, and with the BRILLIANT insight of producers, that means he was cut out of the rest of the books too. There's this thing called 'planning ahead'.

The Percy Jackson series suffered with this too but for other reasons. (There was a REASON Percy was only 12 at the beginning, not already teenaged. Well done Hollywood.)

Even worse, Robin Williams volunteered to be Peeves. That would be perfect!

Oh man that would've indeed been perfect.....

Oh man that would've indeed been perfect.....

Wouldn't it have been? And I know for the kids, at least, they wanted to have a "British actors only" (or maybe even straight up "English actors only"?) policy. Which made sense for the the children's roles, since a lot of kids would have trouble holding an accent that wasn't their own. But I'm pretty sure they could have made an exception for a seasoned actor who could probably hold an accent just fine, and who was frikkin' perfect for the role.

I thought this might be the right place to post about the houses and such. Both Hogwarts and Ilvermorny. What does everyone sort in? My Hogwarts house is Slytherin, although it seems very on par with Gryffindor too. I just go with Slytherin because I identify a little more. As for Ilvermorny, I'm a Horned Serpent.

*squeals in excitement because someone else unearthed the HP Thread*

I wanted to, I really wanted to. but no one had posted for months and I have anxiety..and aidhsoaijfs

>.<

But now that its been unearthed, I can fangirl to my hearts content.

I'm also Slytherin, so upon taking the new Sorting for Ilvermorny, I honestly thought "Ah, I'll be a horned serpent - thats probably the one related to Slytherin" because I knew nothing of the new houses yet.

However, I got Wampus house. Which represents the body of a Witch/Wizard. And favours Warriors.

Now I understand why I am in this house, as personally, all my life I have been a fighter, ect. Fighting my physical and mental illnesses, and some of the rough times I have been through. Warriors are not neccessarily one dimensional and strong- they come in all sizes biggrin.gif

So, I think I can definetely love and Identify with my Ilvermorny House. But I doubt that I would consider Ilvermorny as important to me as Hogwarts is. Hogwarts was a home to me, as it was many people. haha. smile.gif

Awesome! I hear that Wampus is one of the rarer houses too, Thunderbird being the most common amongst all of them. Here's a buzzfeed article that's got info on the percentages of Ilvermorny houses throughout Hogwarts ones. And you're totally right about fighters coming in all different shapes and sizes, it's about who you are not what you appear to be! Somewhere I had heard about Hogwarts houses representing values while Ilvermorny is in what field you apply them and how. Personally, I considered Horned Serpent to be more of a Ravenclaw house since it favors intellect in a prominent manner, but it was supposedly founded by a descendant of Salazar Slytherin so...I think it has a close connection to both Ravenclaw and Slytherin houses.

I got sorted into Horned Serpent too. biggrin.gif

I identify as "SlytherClaw" in Hogwarts houses, and I find it interestingly accurate I should get the one that seems to represent traits from both Slytherin and Ravenclaw.

Horned Serpent represents the mind of the wizard, after all. I think that intelligence is a trait of both Slyth and Claw, but used in different ways.

To be cunning, and make plans, you need a certain high degree of intelligence, after all.

And I totally agree with the above statement of "WHERE IS PEEVES!?"

and would also like to ask:

"WHERE THE HELL WAS THE MARAUDERS BACKSTORY IN POA?!"

"WHERE THE HELL WHERE NEVILLE'S PARENTS IN OOTP?!"

It honestly does seem like they cut a lot out of some of the films. :/

Although, you have to admit, some of the actors were absolutely stunning at their roles.

Could you imagine anyone else but Maggie Smith being Professor McGonagall? I know I can't. xd.png

Edited by Kayrosa

If you guys had to choose one house, and only one, when it comes to both Hogwarts and Ilvermorny, which would you choose? I would personally go with Slytherin. It's kind of a tough choice since a single person can possess qualities and values of multiple houses, but there always seems to be one that stands out. I remember Harry Potter in his sorting ceremony being torn between Gryffindor and Slytherin as an iconic moment, demonstrating how your choices define your path and say a lot about who you are.