G-Dove

Percy Jackson v.s. Eragon

What do you like better; Percy Jackson or Eragon?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to say Percy Jackson. Eragon was okay, but I got bored by the middle of Eldest.

I'm the exact opposite. I got bored with Percy Jackson as fast as I got bored of Twilight (first page) while Eragon held me captivated through all three books.

Other authors have made other languages. It doesn't make him a genius.

It's not even a 'made up' language, just a censorkip.gif of Norse or something...

@Dr Paine

Yes, about the made-up language, he basically ripped off a version of the Aurenfaie language in the Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling-- this epic series came out in 1999! So he ripped off Norse and the Nightrunner series...

and really, I'm not just saying this because they're both elven languages/dwarven languages, I'm just saying this because I can see the obvious similarities whenever I read those books.

*goes off to snuggle her tattered copies of the Nightrunner series whose feelings have been hurt because of ripped of language*

@Dr Paine

Yes, about the made-up language, he basically ripped off a version of the Aurenfaie language in the Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling-- this epic series came out in 1999! So he ripped off Norse and the Nightrunner series...

and really, I'm not just saying this because they're both elven languages/dwarven languages, I'm just saying this because I can see the obvious similarities whenever I read those books.

*goes off to snuggle her tattered copies of the Nightrunner series whose feelings have been hurt because of ripped of language*

Yep.

Tolkien, at least, knew what he was doing- he had a bloody degree in linguistics and actually knew what went into creating an entire language. Hell, even FFX/X-2 did better with Al Bhed- it was a simple substitution cipher, but they arranged it to where it was actually able to be spoken.

Random letters, syllables and apostrophes do NOT a language make.

Wow I just sat and read three pages. dry.gif I have no life.

Anyways, I'm goign to have to say Percy Jackson. I'm on like page 50 of Eldest, (yes, I know I'm slow on books) and I havn't read in like two days, (three tomarrow). Thats like a record for me!!!

So I'm thinking about dropping the book. Eragon, the first book held me ok. And yes, the discriptive parts are annoying.... (though when I write books, people say I'm not discriptive enough. xd.png )

So... Percy Jackson all the way. Though you can't really compare the two books, since one is literally a young adult to adult book, and then Percy Jackson is literally a children's series.

So... (and yes, I guess I'm considering myself a child book reader.)

And who posted that about Artemis Fowl? ARTEMIS FOWL BEATS EVERY BOOK. I'm waiting for the newest book now. wub.gif

Anyways, (sorry for straying)....

PERCY JACKSON ALL THE WAYS!

I didn't relaly like Artemis Fowl, and I think that HP, LOTR, nightrunners...aah, the list could go on for a while, just for me though.

BUT THIS TOPIC ISNT ABOUT ARTEMIS FOWL.

Anyways, I thought Eragon itself was quite good, if you ignore the descriptive bits.

Then Eldest came, and I was like "meh, i'll stick with it,"

Then Brisingr came. it was okayy...

I guess I have a different take on books than you guys tongue.gif

I don't know if I can stand the wait for the fourth book (rumor has it it is called the empire? Is this true?) I mean, if it's taken that long, it sure will have a lot of detail in it dry.gif

Honestly, I think he's taking THAT long because he's bored from writing it. It has happened to me when writing fanfiction before, I was very enthusiast with an idea, then got tired and stopped writing about it, and when I went back, I saw the reason why I didn't keep working on it. It was absolute...

I hardly ever get bored from a good idea (good as in my subjective opinion).

Since I'm a perfectionist, I also happen to go back, change this, change that, go back, hate it, wipe it all out and start over. I have done it a couple of times with a few of my original books. After 450 pages written, and few corrections here and there, changes this, changes that, I was not satisfied, so I threw it all out to the trash and began from zero.

Now I'm in the correction part. I'm hopeful this will be the final sketch.

I do not think that's Paolini, tho. I honestly believe he has grown over his book. I mean, he started writing epic fantasy when he was 15. He's 26-27 now. In 10 years, people suffer enormous changes, and what he found like the world's best candy, when he was 15, now he might be finding it absolutely stupid and boring.

Brisingr should have been the last book. I mean, considering the ending, what is there left to write about, that'll take him 2 or 3 years? Brisingr came out in 2008, and he's said that some family things will keep him busy, so he might not have the last one until 2012. Now, really, what is he going to write that'll take him 4 years to complete? It takes me a few months to have a fully written manuscript, and a few others to correct it. Overall, no more than a year and half, and I'm doing ALL the work by myself, I don't have proffesional editors.

That last book is going to be another brick of fillers.

Edit;

Paine; That's the reason why I don't make a language. I'm a good political scientist (which is the fundamentum of all my books), but an awful linguist. tongue.gif

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Honestly, I think he's taking THAT long because he's bored from writing it. It has happened to me when writing fanfiction before, I was very enthusiast with an idea, then got tired and stopped writing about it, and when I went back, I saw the reason why I didn't keep working on it. It was absolute...

I hardly ever get bored from a good idea (good as in my subjective opinion).

Since I'm a perfectionist, I also happen to go back, change this, change that, go back, hate it, wipe it all out and start over. I have done it a couple of times with a few of my original books. After 450 pages written, and few corrections here and there, changes this, changes that, I was not satisfied, so I threw it all out to the trash and began from zero.

Now I'm in the correction part. I'm hopeful this will be the final sketch.

I do not think that's Paolini, tho. I honestly believe he has grown over his book. I mean, he started writing epic fantasy when he was 15. He's 26-27 now. In 10 years, people suffer enormous changes, and what he found like the world's best candy, when he was 15, now he might be finding it absolutely stupid and boring.

Brisingr should have been the last book. I mean, considering the ending, what is there left to write about, that'll take him 2 or 3 years? Brisingr came out in 2008, and he's said that some family things will keep him busy, so he might not have the last one until 2012. Now, really, what is he going to write that'll take him 4 years to complete? It takes me a few months to have a fully written manuscript, and a few others to correct it. Overall, no more than a year and half, and I'm doing ALL the work by myself, I don't have proffesional editors.

That last book is going to be another brick of fillers.

Edit;

Paine; That's the reason why I don't make a language. I'm a good political scientist (which is the fundamentum of all my books), but an awful linguist. tongue.gif

I'd like it if he re-worked Eragon... see kids, this is why you NEVER publish before.... say, twenty.

It could be a good book, there are elements there that, while cliche, could be presented very well. Take Mass Effect for example, it piles on every sci-fi cliche you can think of, but I've found few stories I find as in depth and engaging. Eragon could do the same- if he actually worked more with a gray and gray morality, toned down the elves, language (both the 'magic' language and the purple prose), and all-around suishness, it could be a fun read.

Too many decent ideas are ruined by the execution.

I agree, Paine. There are some decent ideas that have worked before, but the whole overusage of cliche's along with the purple prose, and the gary stu concept, all merged in the same manuscript, really gets a bit annoying.

I personally think Paolini should refrain from giving moral lessons in his books, and simply tell the story letting people judge by themselves.

Not to mention he HAS overpowered his main character. I mean, it would have been so much cooler is bonding with the dragon had none of those awesome effects, like becoming a magician, and all. It would have been more awesome if he had to, actually, train the dragon into liking him. Now that might have made a nice book, if Eragon was just your normal guy, who happens to come across the last dragon colony, or a stolen, wild egg, or something like that.

And he really should revise his books inner logic. I mean, you want to really win that war. A good strategist would have bred Saphira to Glaerd and produced an army of dragons to strike back. It would take many years to achieve, but on the long run, you have hundreds of dragons who simply have to throw down the castle with the bad guy inside. I highly doubt his power would be able to save him from a few thousands of tons of solid rock.

@DragonNightHowler.

I have been...enlightened.

O.O

You're right, that would have been a much better idea on how to defeat Galbatorix.

But again, there's the question of execution. How would you do that? Would you add in a little page that says *TWENTY YEARS LATER* and then go from there?

He'd want to add in some detail on how the little dragon babies were conceived and raised as little hatchlings, so that might be there.

*trails off with thoughts of whimsicality*

Sorry, excuse my whimiscalness. I get caught up on ideas like this xd.png

@DragonNightHowler.

I have been...enlightened.

O.O

You're right, that would have been a much better idea on how to defeat Galbatorix.

But again, there's the question of execution. How would you do that? Would you add in a little page that says *TWENTY YEARS LATER* and then go from there?

He'd want to add in some detail on how the little dragon babies were conceived and raised as little hatchlings, so that might be there.

*trails off with thoughts of whimsicality*

Sorry, excuse my whimiscalness. I get caught up on ideas like this xd.png

There are like a thousand ways to develop an idea like that.

You could do that, add a tag on and say "20 years laters".

You could make a long series, of around 10-15 books, telling the whole ordeal from Eragon finding the last egg, knowing there is another dragon, searching for the last male, finding a safe place, etc. Then develop along from there, finding new riders, and so on.

It could even be interesting. Writing a book per character, or so, knowing the lives of the rest of the riders.

You could even add Galbatoryx persecuting the dragons, traitors among them, add a more important role to Murtagh, etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure he has imagination to stray so much off the Star Wars, LOTR plotline.

Funny. I looked at Eragon, read a few chapters, then got bored, put it down, and picked a book with three books in one(Cirque Du Freak).

Much more interesting, but I'll go back to Eragon and skip the useless chapters like I've done with other books..

*cough*

I would have to say that I think Percy Jackson is a bit better than Eragon.

I can see how both series could have been better, but Eragon needs more work to reach it's highest level.

I loved them both, but Eragon kinda copied Star Wars. I like Percy Jackson only slightly more.

I thought Eragon itself was quite good, if you ignore the descriptive bits.

Then Eldest came, and I was like "meh, i'll stick with it,"

Then Brisingr came. it was okayy...

I guess I have a different take on books than you guys tongue.gif

I don't know if I can stand the wait for the fourth book (rumor has it it is called the empire? Is this true?) I mean, if it's taken that long, it sure will have a lot of detail in it dry.gif

I like descriptive books. The descriptive parts help you picture what's happening in my head better.

I can't wait for the 4th book!

I like descriptive books. The descriptive parts help you picture what's happening in my head better.

I can't wait for the 4th book!

I'm a reader. I have imagination. I really DON'T need all that much description. I'm pretty capable of making out what the tavern looks like without 3 pages of description.

There really is a limit between; "I'm sketching the world out for you" and "I think you're an idiot with no imagination, so I'll spend my time with 500 pages of filling descriptions, because thick books are so cool".

No, thanks. I don't need descriptions, really. Some of the best books out there had barely no description at all, excepting the essential. Artemis Fowl, for example. You don't need 300 pages of descriptions, yet people are pretty capable of picturing the world and the characters, with a few lines.

As we say, "Show, DON'T tell".

Also, I'll never forgive Paolini for the 15 pages of sword forging description. Really, first he was using Katana technique for a longsword. Second, Paolini, if I really wanted to know how to forge a sword, I'd have read about sword forging. I don't care, so why do I have to suffer through 15 pages of sword forging? It doesn't make sense!

Not to mention, I love horse riding, but I try to keep my horse riding knowledge to a minimum when writing. People don't care about how a lesson goes, or how a horse steps, there is really no point in throwing that out for readers, unless you're an egocentric who needs to brag and treat their readers like idiots. To be honest, I'm pretty sure that's how Paolini thinks when writing.

I'm a reader. I have imagination. I really DON'T need all that much description. I'm pretty capable of making out what the tavern looks like without 3 pages of description.

There really is a limit between; "I'm sketching the world out for you" and "I think you're an idiot with no imagination, so I'll spend my time with 500 pages of filling descriptions, because thick books are so cool".

No, thanks. I don't need descriptions, really. Some of the best books out there had barely no description at all, excepting the essential. Artemis Fowl, for example. You don't need 300 pages of descriptions, yet people are pretty capable of picturing the world and the characters, with a few lines.

As we say, "Show, DON'T tell".

Also, I'll never forgive Paolini for the 15 pages of sword forging description. Really, first he was using Katana technique for a longsword. Second, Paolini, if I really wanted to know how to forge a sword, I'd have read about sword forging. I don't care, so why do I have to suffer through 15 pages of sword forging? It doesn't make sense!

Not to mention, I love horse riding, but I try to keep my horse riding knowledge to a minimum when writing. People don't care about how a lesson goes, or how a horse steps, there is really no point in throwing that out for readers, unless you're an egocentric who needs to brag and treat their readers like idiots. To be honest, I'm pretty sure that's how Paolini thinks when writing.

.............. I thought it was really good.... but I can see how you might be right.

I have to say Eragon. I found both an enjoyable read, but from when Percy met Annabeth, I knew they were going to get together. At least, with Eragon, the main character gets rejected.

Also, this is a more personal thing, but I find books in first person to be rather bland, and Percy Jackson was no exception. Eon was a good first person, and so far Queen's Own Fool is turning out to be an excellent book. But most first person books bore me. And that's something, considering I stopped reading Eldest for a year because the whole middle was bland.

I have to say Eragon. I found both an enjoyable read, but from when Percy met Annabeth, I knew they were going to get together. At least, with Eragon, the main character gets rejected.

Also, this is a more personal thing, but I find books in first person to be rather bland, and Percy Jackson was no exception. Eon was a good first person, and so far Queen's Own Fool is turning out to be an excellent book. But most first person books bore me. And that's something, considering I stopped reading Eldest for a year because the whole middle was bland.

Excuse the hysterical laughter, but you REALLY think Eragon and miss Mary Sue Elf on't get together in the end?

Watch, the end of book four is going to be her having the green dragon (who happens to be *gasp* MALE), they kill Galby (or redeem him because killing is bad except when it's innocent soldiers), Eragon is offered the crown, but instead he and whatshername go off on the magic silver boat, never to return, with their dragons circling in the sky.

That is, barring some massive growing up on Paolini's part. But right now, it's rejection to create false flaws/get cheap sympathy.