G-Dove

Percy Jackson v.s. Eragon

What do you like better; Percy Jackson or Eragon?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Excuse the hysterical laughter, but you REALLY think Eragon and miss Mary Sue Elf on't get together in the end?

Watch, the end of book four is going to be her having the green dragon (who happens to be *gasp* MALE), they kill Galby (or redeem him because killing is bad except when it's innocent soldiers), Eragon is offered the crown, but instead he and whatshername go off on the magic silver boat, never to return, with their dragons circling in the sky.

That is, barring some massive growing up on Paolini's part. But right now, it's rejection to create false flaws/get cheap sympathy.

I hope that doesn't happen. While I enjoy Arya as a character, she doesn't work in the whole series, and it's quite obvious that she isn't interested. While I can already guess that she or Elva are going to get the egg and Roran will get the crown, Paolini might actually try to surprise his readers.

Also, I believe the first book said that a blue and red dragon are circling in the sky. I'm not entirely sure about this, as it has been a long time since I've read the book and I don't have it with me.

Again, please excuse me for being hopeful. Now that I see my error, I'll continue to be a pessimistic person who complains about everything.

I'm going with eragon, I've ready every book. I can't waitfor the next book to come out.

The first Percy Jackson series was fine, but the new series, The Heroes of Olympus, that was really horrible. Come on! Greek and Roman demigods? That's stupid! It would have been better if Jason was the son of Percy and Annabeth or something!

As for the Inheritance Cycle, I find Roran really overpowered. Really really really overpowered.

Edited by NuparuMahnika

Percy Jackson. The books are funnier, there are no boring parts and the author doesn't drag out the release date.

I have to say Eragon. I found both an enjoyable read, but from when Percy met Annabeth, I knew they were going to get together.

*cough,Cough* Wut. o.o Have you read the lost hero?

Anyways, Percy Jackson FTW!

Percy Jackson is much better! Not only are the books short but they are amazing! I think there are a ton of plot twists, unlike Eragon, if someone told me, Hey a boy finds this egg... I would easily be able to continue it: He finds an egg, He learns how to ride it, he defeats enemy... TONS of plot twists in Percy Jackson!

I have to vote for both. The world created in Percy Jackson is unique and I like greek mythology. The Inheritance trilogy is a distant world, entertaining by oneself. And be patient with, because we are going to have a brilliant result.

I'm going to go ahead and post on this, because I've read both.

The first book of the Inheritance series was amazing no doubt. My sister never reads, yet when we had her read Eragon, she was so in love with it that she got mad at me when I read ahead without telling her. She seriously started a massive fight because I got to the end first.

However, I prefer Percy Jackson. There's a super long list of the reasons why. Much of Paloni's work in Eragon was unorigional and very much stereotypical. He made his own world, yet at the same time, he created the same world of LOTR. There are simply too many simularities between his work and the really famous works like Star Wars. He basically used the universe and writing style of LOTR and the plot of Star Wars.

And I know the counter arguement that PJO has the same issue, heavily using elements from Harry Potter. But still, it keeps some parts that are it's own, like the writing style and the universe its written in. I can't really think of another works that uses Greek Myth the way PJO does.

Another reason I think PJO is better is that I can say beyond all doubt I was interested, amused, and happy with the series the whole way. There's no dragging on or books that I just detested reading. The only one I was a bit annoyed with was the second one, but it was needed for set up so it's forgivable.

In Eragon, I found Eldest to get slung into a rut of dragging on, only interesting because I had predicted early on in the book that Eragon and Murtagh were brothers and wanted to see if I was right. Brisingr was horribly annoying to read in my eyes. He had little moments where I was reminded of the first book, but much of it just got too political and draggy. He was trying too hard to please the critics who were commenting on simularities between LOTR, Star Wars, and his series.

Finally, while both universes were interesting to me, I'm a mythology nut. It was amazingly interesting to me, rereading some of the classic tales spun in a new light. Riordan retold much of the ancient myth, everything from Achilles to Heracles to different tales of the gods in a new, fresh light, teaching younger readers about mythology they otherwise might have only read in a stuffy class room.

Love both books a lot, don't get me wrong. My very first story ever to get over 100k words was a fanfiction for Eragon. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd without a moment's thought say Percy.

Well, Inheritance is a pretty terrible series of books in most regards (even if I do have a demented nostalgic appreciation for them, as I loved it when I was 11 and didn't know any better). Percy Jackson was awesome when I was younger, but it didn't grow with me, so whenever I tried to reread them after age 13 or so, all I could do is roll my eyes and sigh. I can't really fault it, since it's a kids' book and knows it, but so many other childrens' series I read when I was younger and still can reread now. Now, it's still funny at times, and I'm such a mythology nerd it actually works both ways (I love it because yay! Mythology! And hate it because damn kids are coming in and thinking they're experts on the subject just because they read the books and maybe a Wikipedia article or two.), but everything else - the characters, the romance, the plot, the world - kind of makes me cringe. Perhaps because I remembered it being so much better...

I voted PJO. I'm not a fan of either, not anymore anyway, but it's still PJO hands down.

Edited by Ilera

I'm going to go ahead and post on this, because I've read both.

The first book of the Inheritance series was amazing no doubt. My sister never reads, yet when we had her read Eragon, she was so in love with it that she got mad at me when I read ahead without telling her. She seriously started a massive fight because I got to the end first.

However, I prefer Percy Jackson. There's a super long list of the reasons why. Much of Paloni's work in Eragon was unorigional and very much stereotypical. He made his own world, yet at the same time, he created the same world of LOTR. There are simply too many simularities between his work and the really famous works like Star Wars. He basically used the universe and writing style of LOTR and the plot of Star Wars.

And I know the counter arguement that PJO has the same issue, heavily using elements from Harry Potter. But still, it keeps some parts that are it's own, like the writing style and the universe its written in. I can't really think of another works that uses Greek Myth the way PJO does.

Another reason I think PJO is better is that I can say beyond all doubt I was interested, amused, and happy with the series the whole way. There's no dragging on or books that I just detested reading. The only one I was a bit annoyed with was the second one, but it was needed for set up so it's forgivable.

In Eragon, I found Eldest to get slung into a rut of dragging on, only interesting because I had predicted early on in the book that Eragon and Murtagh were brothers and wanted to see if I was right. Brisingr was horribly annoying to read in my eyes. He had little moments where I was reminded of the first book, but much of it just got too political and draggy. He was trying too hard to please the critics who were commenting on simularities between LOTR, Star Wars, and his series.

Finally, while both universes were interesting to me, I'm a mythology nut. It was amazingly interesting to me, rereading some of the classic tales spun in a new light. Riordan retold much of the ancient myth, everything from Achilles to Heracles to different tales of the gods in a new, fresh light, teaching younger readers about mythology they otherwise might have only read in a stuffy class room.

Love both books a lot, don't get me wrong. My very first story ever to get over 100k words was a fanfiction for Eragon. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd without a moment's thought say Percy.

I have to say I completely agree with what you wrote on Percy Jackson. I found it funny and it kept my interest throughout the whole series. I liked the characters, and I liked all of the little details he put it - the gods are still childish and petty, the demigods all have dislexia because their genes are hardwired to ancient greek and so on. And it's a book that recognizes it's a children's book, and I have no problem with that. Still like it, even though it's been a while since I could consider myself a child. Also, to me, half the fun is the world created, and I like this world.

Eragon, on the other way... didn't even finish the first book.

Edited by FishPanda

percy jackson. no competion. eragon is pretty much star wars just with dragons, what do you guy think about the percy jackson movie? i thought it was awful! its completly differnt!

Percy Jackson for the simple fact that the story is pretty darn original and entertaining, and the writing is wonderful and engaging like all of Riordan's books. For those of you saying you feel "too old" for them or whatnot, come on tongue.gif I'm 16, I love em.

Eragon is a great series, and I'm currently camping by my window waiting for my copy of Inheritance to show up. But it's woefully unoriginal in the first two. I can't excuse him because of age or any of that. Honestly when I read back through book 1 again, it reads like a bad NaNo novel with a bunch of adjectives added for word count purposes only. They got better as the series progressed, but I can't call them good literature at all. That said, I really do love them anyways xd.png but PJO wins in my eyes.

-edit- I have many other things I disliked about the Eragon books... for instance, do you realize that as much as "Eragon" may sound like a ripoff of "Aragorn," Paolini most likely just took the word "Dragon" and shifted the first letter one place over in the alphabet? "Dragon... let's change that D to an E... Eragon! That's cool!!!"

^ see what I did there?

Then the fact that the ENTIRE first book lines up EXACTLY with SW Ep.IV. It's pitiful really.

And the needless descriptions. And just horrid writing in general.

But somehow I can't help but love them anyways...

Edited by philpot123

Eragon, for sure. Even though Paolini didn't have a great writing style for Eragon and Eldest seemed a bit slow, they were still great with their plot and everything that was happening. Brsingr was really good, both in suspense and improved writing style, and Inheritance blew me away. I felt really sad that Paolini was moving away from the characters and the series.

Grr! Tough decision but I have to say Percy Jackson! happy.gif I like the idea that it's possible for anyone to be a demigod. happy.gif

I love them both, but Eragon wins smile.gif Inheritence was the best book I have ever read in my life. Literally.

Vote PJ. Pretty much accurate mythology, funny and seeing as it's children's book it has decent plot twists.

Eragon is really boring to me. With ten years I was capable of guessing that last two dragons would be red and green and their riders. Don't even get me going on Brom being his father and obvious LOTR and Star Wars parallels ( Last two probably have something to do with the fact that I would watch SW and Read LOTR at least once a month.) and that really irritated me. In the end I continued reading it because: DRAGONS!!

its very close they are both very good but i have to go with eragon since it has dragons and people working together and i wish that were real