RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

This is my favorite font to use in general. It's very easy to read and looks nice.

This is my favorite "fancy" font.

This font is great for attracting attention, especially in larger size.

I like the font too. I had to quote you to see if it was really Calibri. tongue.gif LOL.

Heeeeey grammar people.

I need to fix some capitalization on my presentation, but I'm really unclear on what can be capitalized in a title.

Help or am I good?

Folate Receptor Targeting Nanoparticles with Encapsulated Cytochrome C as a Treatment for Malignant Tumors

(wasn't sure on "with")

and the other one

Why use Cytochrome C?

(wasn't sure if "use" should be capitalized)

Also, in a title, is "vs" capitalized or is it kept lowercase?

ex.

Release of Enzyme vs pH
Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Use, with, and vs.

Point of interest, "font" is all characters of a typeface at a particular size. Typeface is what you generally refer to as a font.

Use, with, and vs.

Thank you!

I at least wanted to keep the minutia off of the titles since it'll be up on a projector screen and I know how incredibly distracting things like spelling errors and grammar can be.

New question: How do you write pronunciations? Something like those in the dictionary. I find English pronunciation to be difficult so help me out guys! tongue.gif

New question: How do you write pronunciations? Something like those in the dictionary. I find English pronunciation to be difficult so help me out guys! tongue.gif

I don't know how you would type them, but that kind of pronunciation is called IPA and each different sound has it's own corresponding character. Most people don't know how to read it and it's kind of difficult to learn I think.

I don't know how you would type them, but that kind of pronunciation is called IPA and each different sound has it's own corresponding character. Most people don't know how to read it and it's kind of difficult to learn I think.

http://ipa.typeit.org/ is a big help.

http://upodn.com/phon.asp does it for you.

But whether anyone else will be able to understand it...

And you might need the font installed on the machine of anyone trying to read it.

θɪŋkəŋ əv ju = thinking of you. Can you tell ? (and can you see what I see ?)

If you mean that you need help with pronunciation you can go here:

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/british...nunciation.html

Type in the word you need and there is an audio link to click so that you can HEAR it. (it seems to be primarily UK pronunciation... I tested with tomato !)

ETA Merriam Webster has US pronunciation but their audio links are a total pain and have to load your media player mad.gif

But here's another which gives both tomatoes !

http://www.howjsay.com/

Edited by fuzzbucket

If you mean that you need help with pronunciation you can go here:

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/british...nunciation.html

Type in the word you need and there is an audio link to click so that you can HEAR it. (it seems to be primarily UK pronunciation... I tested with tomato !)

ETA Merriam Webster has US pronunciation but their audio links are a total pain and have to load your media player mad.gif

But here's another which gives  both tomatoes !

http://www.howjsay.com/

Oh, thanks! I was asking about writing pronunciations, but then you helped me with another problem. biggrin.gif Thank you very much! I apologise if I ask too much. I'm having problems with English ever since. Well, I have problems with ALL languages I speak because I confuse them all. That is how I developed the fear of grammar Nazis, English teachers, and nitpicking! My grammar is often wrong because I tend to reverse phrases since Chinese has a reverse order for their own language.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Edited: Since we are on the topic of English of sorts, I want to blurt out a random fact. In citation, Turabian style is the same as Chicago Manual of Style, with only very slight modifications. I confuse those citing styles and searched if Turabian is the same as Chicago Manual of Style. It is. However, I am still more familiar with APA and MLA.

Edited by georgexu94

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Regarding Citations, may I ask how do you cite an information from more than one sources?

feel free to breeze me over if this is something this thread doesn't need.

i'm not a fan of people who nitpick grammar in casual environments, or in argumentative situations.

i have a fairly strong opinion on people who feel the need to enforce rigid grammar rules; which is, in short, they don't have a good grasp on what makes the English language so cool. or basically any idea of what linguistics is all about.

(don't get me wrong - formal essays and just, literature in general is a different topic entirely)

Edited by witchscissor

"What linguistics is all about" means more than one thing. Descriptive linguistics could maybe be described by what you're saying, but as a whole, no. Linguistics don't agree about what linguistics is all about.

i meant that in a general sense, yes, but at least what i've encountered relating to language all somehow ties back to the idea of the fluidity of the english language - the fact that its so receptive to change. most people i know who are interested in linguistics are very casual about their use of language and have removed themselves from small discriminatory behaviors, for example, going out of their way to point out the misuse of a homophone. or rip on someone for the use of 'they' as a singular pronoun.

Edited by witchscissor

Sure, but it isn't like the fluidity is a catch-all for just doing whatever. There are still rules. Take Ebonics for instance -- many people would say it's not grammatical, but many linguists would say that it just follows different rules. There are still rules though. You can make an ungrammatical sentence using Ebonics the same way you can in any other dialect or English. You will still sound weird if you intersperse them, and if such typos or errors impede understanding then you aren't communicating effectively.

in my opinion, i have no doubt AAVE follows different rules. there's actually a huge debate on whether AAVE is actually another language or just a dialect. its a crazy controversial topic and i'm not extremely educated on it, just relaying info because its mega interesting! i'd definitely recommend doing some reading about it.

i've read a bit on it and i've heard discussion claiming the grammar of AAVE actually being more sophisticated and complex than english.

LANGUAGE IS SO COOL. i get so excited about it!!

i was speaking earlier about needless nitpicking of small mistakes or grammar issues, rather than legitimate problems with grammar or usage that actually interfere with the sentence being understood. yeah, i'd never ask people to not ask for clarification if a sentence can't be comprehended.

oh man. speaking of that, your reply reminded me of this usage theory i heard someone propose. it was along the lines of "as long as english is the speaker's native language and they are able to be fully understood, their usage can never be wrong". i'd like to hear your thoughts on that! :]

Edited by witchscissor

I don't really agree. I see the point, but I think that language is validated by people's collective agreement that it is correct. So, if I decided to start reversing my word order in a non-grammatical way, but only I am doing this, I would say that it was incorrect. If everyone was doing it, it could become correct. Being understood doesn't matter that much to me in this context -- I can understand what someone MEANT when they say "humans are descended from apes" but that doesn't make it a correct statement. That example is a little off, but, that's sort of what I mean. Not to mention, if it isn't a dialect situation and is just one or two people speaking erroneously, being a native speaker doesn't seem to matter that much, either. After all, I understand what my local exchange students are saying when they say something wrong, but they were still wrong.

You don't really need to, just pick the most reputable source.

How do you decide on this?

Well obviously something like a journal or a research article is going to be valid than a blog post or wikipedia. Evaluate your sources and choose. You can include both in the Bilbliography or Works Referenced, but you only need to cite on in text.

Well obviously something like a journal or a research article is going to be valid than a blog post or wikipedia. Evaluate your sources and choose. You can include both in the Bilbliography or Works Referenced, but you only need to cite on in text.

laugh.gif Oh, okay. Thank you.

Perhaps I shouldn't resurrect a thread whose last reply was in 2014... But, I want to know the font that people use on their little signature banners. The pixel-looking one. I can pull up an example if someone needs it.

An example would be useful, yeah. There are a few signature banners floating around with different pixel fonts.

Edited by Dew

Well, tbh, any of the pixel fonts would work. But I really like this one TGT has on their thread specifically:

517k12.gif It's small, pixel-y, and legible. I don't have any stock pixel fonts installed, so I was just curious as to what they would be. XD

Personally, I think grammar/spelling is a person's first impression online. The way people type can really change my picture of them. For example, the following sentence would give the impression that they are young or immature:
"i d'ont know how to use punctuation or end a sentance so maybe i should lern how or who knows maybe im just faking this i have fooled you all ahahahahahaha also what the heck are capital letters someon pls help"
However someone older (and more mature) would probably format a sentence like the following:
"Well, it seems I can use punctuation now. Anyways, how are you?"

Even with good spelling and punctuation, there are other things that can affect their impression. For example, let's say someone posted a picture of their dog, and these are reactions to it.
The following person would come across as relatable and friendly: "Aww, they're so adorable! I love them, oh my goodness."
While this person would come across as a little closed off: "Cute."

There's a lot more I could say but it'd be too long. :P