RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

Older books have a tendency to use single quotes instead of double. It's all just style differences and how the conventions of grammar developed.

It's also a UK vs US thing. This was explained to me when my SO's books were printed in Canada and I asked about it and the publishers explained it to me...

I hate:

"reek havoc"

"peek my interest"

"per say"

And another one that annoys me so much I can't even remember it right now...

I used to proofread as part of my job because I am so picky (=pedantic - but we need our pedants) about these things !

I used to be a bit of a stickler for grammar, but I think talking with my SO for a few years changed that... She's actually a pretty good writer if the majority of her writing for the roleplay we do and some of the other things she types sometimes say anything about it, but her spelling tends to be a bit off, sometimes (although usually rarely) her syntax is off enough that I can't quite understand what she's trying to say, and she doesn't feel quite right unless she capitalizes most of the words in her sentences. None of it comes off as anything but endearing anymore. xP

Actually, though, it makes me kind of angry when people pick on her for the way she types. She doesn't show it all that much, but she has self-esteem issues worse than even mine, and trying to make her feel worse about herself because of a petty need to correct is completely unnecessary. @_@

Admittedly, I sometimes have trouble with syntax when I'm feeling particularly nervous... Usually it's not exactly WRONG because it still makes sense, but the way things come out is odd and almost unpalatable when I go back and read it later. I also have a tendency to overuse parentheses, and it's usually a lot worse when I get nervous. I'm actually surprised I didn't use more parentheses here.

Edited by Pika_Oi

My biggest pet peeve now is when people spell "Copper" as "Cooper" in trades. At first I thought it was one or two people whose first language wasn't english and it was kind of cute. Now, I see it constantly and it makes me want to smack them over the head.

Something that I really can't tolerate now is when people purposely try to incorrectly spell out words.

Nothing could ever annoy me more.

I do love the look of red pen, though... >:3

I love the look of red pen on print as well. I correct my peers' papers all the time as I love editing, and improving grammar, spelling, and sentence structure. It's a nice way to practice my own writing skills as I'm helping some else out at the same time, which is why I became an approver. Editing is a favorite hobby/pastime of mine. c:

Yay for Grammar Nazis. biggrin.gif

Edit: My favorite font is Garamond. laugh.gif

Edited by Dauntingale

I know grammar well enough to see mistakes easily, although it irritates me most whenever I see homonyms mixed up for one another. I don't usually correct people online or off using comments because I see little point in it.

It seriously irritates me when there's misspellings or typos in published books. And in places like wikis, I just go in and poke the little things I see.

It absolutely grinds my gears when people correct my grammar in a normal conversation, whether it's IRL or online. If you're that much of a grammar nazi, you should probably sit down and chill out a little bit. In a casual, everyday conversation, I'm not going to make sure that I'm consistently using proper grammar.

Unless I'm writing an essay or resume or doing some kind of presentation, THEN you can be a grammar nazi, because it's actually important. Otherwise it's just annoying (and then there's the people who correct someone's grammar in an online argument...oye vey).

The thing I won't ever understand is HOW - how people cannot know their own language? o__O They speak english every day... english is one of the easier languages (but the thing i won't ever understand - too - are the tenses-> 12? o,o?) and... lol :'D i've never had problem with my mother's language - and nobody who i know. And you can belive that it is 100x harder for strangers than English.

But tell me this - in which part of english gramar have english-talking people problems?

And yes, sorry, i have "some" mistakes in my text.. But... where? :DDD I love English and i really want to improve in this language, but my teacher isn't one of the best so I am learning on this DC forum.. XD

My biggest pet peeve now is when people spell "Copper" as "Cooper" in trades. At first I thought it was one or two people whose first language wasn't english and it was kind of cute. Now, I see it constantly and it makes me want to smack them over the head.

It's because we all know Alice Cooper tongue.gif At least that's the reason I do it.

I put a double space at the end of sentences (that the forum automatically removes). The argument can be made that it's archaic and incorrect. I do it anyway.

Muah ha ha ha ha.

smile.gif As long as you don't correct UK spelling to American then I guess there's nothing to worry about.

I put a double space at the end of sentences (that the forum automatically removes). The argument can be made that it's archaic and incorrect. I do it anyway.

Muah ha ha ha ha.

That's what I do too (and it irks me that the forum removes it...I think it makes sentences look a lot neater).

But I didn't know that it was considered incorrect by some, I was always taught that it was a professional thing to do.

That's what I do too (and it irks me that the forum removes it...I think it makes sentences look a lot neater).

But I didn't know that it was considered incorrect by some, I was always taught that it was a professional thing to do.

Two spaces is not the standard practice anymore, not with variable width fonts. The word processor/formatter handles it.

I simply abhor text speak. Spell properly, and don't give me any excuses. If you want to come across as an ignorant 10 year old child, that's your privilege, but don't expect me to go along with it.

It also influences how I trade. If you can't show yourself a capable adult, then why should I trust any of my dragons to you? I can't see your face, so your words speak for all of you.

Edited by Riverwillows

What were we talking about again? Oh, right. Anyway, something off topic: I dislike abbreviations. It's time consuming to type, yes. However, there are a lot of meaning for each acronym. It wastes my time to find the appropriate one. sad.gif

What were we talking about again? Oh, right. Anyway, something off topic: I dislike abbreviations. It's time consuming to type, yes. However, there are a lot of meaning for each acronym. It wastes my time to find the appropriate one. sad.gif

I'm fine with abbreviations and acronyms if it's clear what they're supposed to stand for, but if it's not in very wide use or if there's more then one thing it could plausibly stand for, I think people should spell it out at least once in each piece of writing before switching to the shorter form.

I'm fine with abbreviations and acronyms if it's clear what they're supposed to stand for, but if it's not in very wide use or if there's more then one thing it could plausibly stand for, I think people should spell it out at least once in each piece of writing before switching to the shorter form.

I agree. Well, if it's something like here in Dragon Cave, they introduced us already to the acronyms right from the start, and it is then assumed that one meant this and that since we're in the DC domain. So that is something I don't mind. laugh.gif Well, except for the occasional question of what CB is if you're a newbie or forgotten but anyway, it's fine.

Er, it's been a while. Please do not mock me or anything, but regarding adjectives, how do you know if it distributes to the rest of the objects?

Example: green eggs and ham

Is the ham also green or is it just the eggs?

Er, it's been a while. Please do not mock me or anything, but regarding adjectives, how do you know if it distributes to the rest of the objects?

Example: green eggs and ham

Is the ham also green or is it just the eggs?

Good Question, I need to ask my English teacher that.

Edited by Jazlindreal

I get annoyed at people when they use both a contraction and the full spelling of a word in their sentences.

I didn't know we could not use that picture!

Stick to one!

I get annoyed at people when they use both a contraction and the full spelling of a word in their sentences.

Stick to one!

Wait, what picture? ohmy.gif

I really cannot stand when people use "to" when they should use "too". I have a vivid memory of kindergarten when I got commended for differentiating to, too, and two with good examples. I've had it down since I was 5 and yet so many people can't use "too" in the correct places. I'm not even a hardcore grammar nazi or anything. That one particular mistake just bothers me to no end.

Some of my biggest grammar and spelling pet peeves right now are people who misuse "loose" and "lose." They don't even sound the same. Lose is what we do with socks under the bed...loose is what we do with Cthulhu upon the world.

And the single biggest pet peeve I've ever come across is incorrect usage of possessive, plural, and possessive plural. Cat's (toy) = possessive. Cats = plural. Cats' = possessive plural.

;A;

Ah, I now understand what Bacon_Strips said.

The one that is quoted is an example.

ohmy.gif Actually, I don't find anything wrong with the sentence apart that it uses both contraction and full spelling.

I didn't know we could not use that picture!

When you can say:

I didn't know we couldn't use that picture!

or

I did not know we could not use that picture!
Edited by georgexu94

Exactly. tongue.gif That should be the only thing wrong with the sentence. Although a 'that' may need to be inserted.

Edited by Bacon_Strips